Bringing a Shape from G8 over to G9 - Tutorial

Comments

• milliethegreat said:

G8 male to g9 with say bosoms? For female version of male only g8 characters?

G8M shapes to G9, a shape is a shape. Once the clothing OF G9 is on G8, dial in any shape you want to transfer over. Hide G8M and export out the G9Clothing .obj.

G9 at default, bring in the shaped G8M with breasts G9 clothing .obj - make a morph.

Keep in mind though that G9 comes with - &/or will be having - a number of breast morphs too. So you're more likely to get better morphs using those on G9.

Using the method for removing parts of a morph should work as well on G9. [haven't tried it yet but see no reason why it shouldn't work] So technically one could take G9, dial in woman, remove all but the breast morphs, dial in man ...

The video tutorial for removing parts of a morph is over on YouTube.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591

AllenArt said:

I guess transferring a shape from G2M can't be done. Every time I try to move the arms the shoulders are a screwed up mess. Anyone else?

I've had problems with the arms on Genesis also. Would love to know how to fix it.

Catherine3678ab said:

I haven't tried yet -- but it might be a case of doing it one generation at a time. i.e. not from 2 to 9, but 2 to 3as9.

Yes, I wondered about that also...

milliethegreat said:

G8 male to g9 with say bosoms? For female version of male only g8 characters?

You would need to dial in breast morphs.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,240
    edited October 2022

Returning to my "beautiful" G8Gorilla on G9 I decided to try my idea on how to fix the eyes and mouth.

And they kind of worked too :-) I morphed them.

I replaced the generated shape morph in the eyes with my new morph. It is not a perfect morph but proves the concept.

I also fixed up the "beautiful" G8Gorilla on G9 shape - the mesh around the eyes got tucked in.

And then the mouth, yes the mouth. That did not have a generated morph? So okay, just made a morph for it as is. Human teeth are not Gorilla Teeth however what was needed first was to get the mouth larger and in place. I opened the jaw before sending stuff over the bridge to Hexagon.

Everything was put to base resolution and "0"s of course before shipping.

One has to select in D/S the correct part before sending said part back from Hexagon to make the morph.

End product: bit fiddly as one has to look for and manually apply some of the morphs [in particular for the mouth]. Now I'm sure there is likely a way to link everything to work together in a character package however not doing this, at this time. Some of the emotion morph/poses/whatever they are work to some degree. Nothing that involves closing the eyelids though -- my eye morph would need to be redone.

But the SUPER BIG DEAL with morphing the parts, i.e. the mouth, DO NOT ADJUST THE RIGGING, period.

What a mess!! Good news, the Edit > Undo worked. [AFAIK providing one has not touched ERC].

Morphing Eyes 'n Mouth with expression.png
    1000 x 1000 - 898K
    Morphing Eyes 'n Mouth with expression2.png
    1000 x 1000 - 896K
    Morphing Eyes 'n Mouth.png
    1000 x 1000 - 913K
    with some hair.png
    1000 x 1000 - 906K
    with some hair another expression.png
    1000 x 1000 - 931K
    Post edited by Catherine3678ab on

Catherine3678ab said:

Returning to my "beautiful" G8Gorilla on G9 I decided to try my idea on how to fix the eyes and mouth.

And they kind of worked too :-) I morphed them.

I replaced the generated shape morph in the eyes with my new morph. It is not a perfect morph but proves the concept.

I also fixed up the "beautiful" G8Gorilla on G9 shape - the mesh around the eyes got tucked in.

And then the mouth, yes the mouth. That did not have a generated morph? So okay, just made a morph for it as is. Human teeth are not Gorilla Teeth however what was needed first was to get the mouth larger and in place. I opened the jaw before sending stuff over the bridge to Hexagon.

Everything was put to base resolution and "0"s of course before shipping.

One has to select in D/S the correct part before sending said part back from Hexagon to make the morph.

End product: bit fiddly as one has to look for and manually apply some of the morphs [in particular for the mouth]. Now I'm sure there is likely a way to link everything to work together in a character package however not doing this, at this time. Some of the emotion morph/poses/whatever they are work to some degree. Nothing that involves closing the eyelids though -- my eye morph would need to be redone.

But the SUPER BIG DEAL with morphing the parts, i.e. the mouth, DO NOT ADJUST THE RIGGING, period. What a mess!! Good news, the Edit > Undo worked. [AFAIK providing one has not touched ERC].

Thanks for the info and the heads up on rigging.

edited October 2022

Okay so I managed to convert a genesis character to genesis 9. 

Adjusted the rigging to shape and erc freezed.  However I've noticed that some poses are sort of what you'd accept but others are very distorted. I think I'm missing a step somewhere...possibly to do with joint rotations???

aiko3genesis9.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 123K
    aiko3genesis9atep missing.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 108K
    Post edited by Pendraia on
    edited October 2022

Pendraia said:

Okay so I managed to convert a genesis character to genesis 9. 

Adjusted the rigging to shape and erc freezed.  However I've noticed that some poses are sort of what you'd accept but others are very distorted. I think I'm missing a step somewhere...possibly to do with joint rotations???

To be sure we're on the 'same page' -- is this G9 morphed? [i.e. not a clothing mesh]

Yes this is genesis 9 morphed as aiko 3 with the morph converted from genesis.

edited October 2022

Another pose...I've tidied the morph up around the shoulders as there was some small distortion there.

The pose is working except for the more extreme movement on the arms and the leg.

Edited to add this might be due in part to the fact that when you dial in Aiko she's in a traditional tpose rather than with the arms down possibly.

another pose.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 114K
    edited October 2022

Tried and it definitely improves the arms but I'm going to have to redo it as I left the correctives dialed in.

Edited to add redone it and it definitely not fixing it fully...but has slightly improved it.

Additonal edit: I zeroed figure and resent morph from zbrush and redid the rigging adjustment and erc freeze and this seems to have fixed it.

So when doing figures with the original t pose it needs to be adusted to ensure poses work.

fixed pose.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 128K
    edited October 2022

Um, if when you dial in A3 to G9, the arms are in a "T", then no, that was not made correctly. The pose has to be removed from the morph.

I plan to be looking at the conversions between all the generations hopefully next week. Right now, I have some RL matters to tend to ;-)

That's cool Catherine,  I'm sure you'll come up with a method that is better than the one I managed to get work. Looking forward to a tutorial.

I know in the video they adjusted the legs to the same pose so I tried with the arms. I think there needs to be an extra step where the morph moved into the zero pose with figures like genesis. I tried with the arms in the original Genesis 9 position also and the genesis 9 you fit to Genesis/Genesis 8 etc will not follow properly and the arms go wonky when you morph the genesis 9 figure with the converted morph. I hope this makes sense. 

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,153

Pendraia said:

AllenArt said:

I guess transferring a shape from G2M can't be done. Every time I try to move the arms the shoulders are a screwed up mess. Anyone else?

I've had problems with the arms on Genesis also. Would love to know how to fix it.

It's because the rigging of the clone is not adjusted to the shape. I think you can go ahead and do that before moving it around to match a G2 so long as you don't SAVE the morph or the rigging into G9. Just use it to make the cloth item to wrap around Genesis 2 for a shape. Hope that made sense. LOL I'm gonna try it later. 

edited October 2022

AllenArt said:

Pendraia said:

AllenArt said:

It's because the rigging of the clone is not adjusted to the shape. I think you can go ahead and do that before moving it around to match a G2 so long as you don't SAVE the morph or the rigging into G9. Just use it to make the cloth item to wrap around Genesis 2 for a shape. Hope that made sense. LOL I'm gonna try it later. 

Ok, so what I suggested above worked (that would be the ONLY thing that worked for me today...lol). In order to get it to wrap around G9, you have to pose G9 to match Genesis 2.  The clones do not have adjusted rigging, so I went ahead and dialed in the G2 clone (in my case G2M) and adjusted the rigging to shape. I was then able to match the pose to a loaded G2Male. It's tricky...it takes a lot of moving and scaling of arms, hands and fingers. I got as close as possible and exported (don't forget to turn your posed G9 to base resolution!), then brought back in and used the Transfer Utility (delete the Genesis 9 you used and reload a new one to add your morph too so you don't accidentally save the adjusted rigging to your clone). There was a lot of poke, so I applied a smoothing modifier, which makes it bubble up under the face, but if you turn the Collision Iterations to 1 and turn up Collision Smoothing Interval (you'll have to show hidden properties), then play with the smoothing itnerations until it looks pretty smooth. Might not be perfect. Hide everything but the G9 fit mesh and reexport the smoothed object. Do that step as many times as you need to get it close as possible (it probably won't be perfect).

BTW, I haven't fixed Gianni 6's eyes yet so that's why they look funky. LOL

Edit: he doesn't pose well. His hands become really distorted, so I'll have to try and fix that. Maybe I scaled when I shouldn't have. I'll try again, but I need to sleep first. :D

Gianni 6 on G9.jpg
    887 x 870 - 29K
    Post edited by AllenArt on
  • Hay all! There's an adjust eye script in the development tools. Forum Post.

• Just a note, given how these transfers work, watch out for the thig-gap when you create separate morphs.

Catherine3678ab said:

Hay all! There's an adjust eye script in the development tools. Forum Post.

Thanks for the info. ..

AllenArt said:

AllenArt said:

Pendraia said:

AllenArt said:

Ok, so what I suggested above worked (that would be the ONLY thing that worked for me today...lol). In order to get it to wrap around G9, you have to pose G9 to match Genesis 2.  The clones do not have adjusted rigging, so I went ahead and dialed in the G2 clone (in my case G2M) and adjusted the rigging to shape. I was then able to match the pose to a loaded G2Male. It's tricky...it takes a lot of moving and scaling of arms, hands and fingers. I got as close as possible and exported (don't forget to turn your posed G9 to base resolution!), then brought back in and used the Transfer Utility (delete the Genesis 9 you used and reload a new one to add your morph too so you don't accidentally save the adjusted rigging to your clone). There was a lot of poke, so I applied a smoothing modifier, which makes it bubble up under the face, but if you turn the Collision Iterations to 1 and turn up Collision Smoothing Interval (you'll have to show hidden properties), then play with the smoothing itnerations until it looks pretty smooth. Might not be perfect. Hide everything but the G9 fit mesh and reexport the smoothed object. Do that step as many times as you need to get it close as possible (it probably won't be perfect).

BTW, I haven't fixed Gianni 6's eyes yet so that's why they look funky. LOL

Edit: he doesn't pose well. His hands become really distorted, so I'll have to try and fix that. Maybe I scaled when I shouldn't have. I'll try again, but I need to sleep first. :D

Sounds similar to what I did yesterday. The only thing I discovered is you need to also adjust the arms to match g9's zero position prior to exporting as an object otherwise there's issues with applying the poses as the arms are in the wrong place. 

• Pendraia said:

Catherine3678ab said:

Hay all! There's an adjust eye script in the development tools. Forum Post.

Thanks for the info. ..

I've added a post in there 'cause I couldn't find it!

There is so much stuff that is now in the parameters tab that it's hard to find some of it...at least that's how I'm feeling. I keep saying to myself, 'now where was that?'.

edited October 2022

Apparently one loads G9, then over on the Parameters Tab > Utilities ... More developer tools. Including the script for the eyes.

I can crash D/S. I was practicing ;-)

Conclusion: one cannot ERC freeze stuff involving more than one um, figure.

BUT I DID IT. Got dialing in the main character morph to also dial in the eyes AND the mouth.

n.b. After running the eye script -- no run ERC Freeze [unless you also want to practice crashing D/S].

In a "nutshell"

Background:
    G9 major morph [gorilla] Rigging adjusted to shape, ERC Freeze. Saved morph.
    G9 minor morph [fix-it morph for skin around eyes] Was not controlled etc.
    G9 Eyes NO placement morphs, NO changes made manually
    G9 Mouth has morph to place it correctly. No controls on it.

G9 Major morph dialed in. ALSO the fix-it morph.
    Parameter Tab in Edit mode. Select G9 and that major morph. Then ran the Eye script. NO ERC freeze that. After running that amazing script, when dialing Gorilla in, the fix-it morph also dials in - as well as the placement for the eyes. Great so far, saved morphs.

But nothing was auto-dialling in the mouth morph. It had a different name, but I didn't have any mouth morphs in the Gorilla. So I made an "empty" mouth morph named the same as the mouth's morph.

Then I made, I think it was the eye morph on G9, to be a controller dialing in the empty mouth morph on G9.

Concept being that when this eye morph gets dialed in, it will dial in the empty mouth morph. Appeared to be working so I zeroed all and saved all the morphs each to their own original saved folders.

Fresh G9, dial in Gorilla -- and YES, the eyes moved to their place, the fix-it mesh morph was applied, AND the mouth was auto-dialed in as well. So with one dial, full character morph dials in.

I hope all this makes sense.

I did it.png
    1000 x 1000 - 729K
    Dialing in the main morph on 9 also dials in the mouth.png
    1196 x 620 - 285K
  • maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

So now we only need a way to transfer Generation figures/clothes/etc to be used on Generation 8 figures devil

• So I figured how to avoid the THIG GAP issue.

To start with, create an autofit clone for G9 in G8.1. The tutorial above teaches how.

Do all the steps up until you dial in the actual morph to export.

Now, go to the Hidden>Clones section of G8.1 and dial in G9 clone.

THEN dial in your morph and export it.

Now you have your converted character already dialled into the G9 shape.

Eboshijaana said:

So I figured how to avoid the THIG GAP issue.

To start with, create an autofit clone for G9 in G8.1. The tutorial above teaches how.

yes 

edited October 2022

maikdecker said:

So now we only need a way to transfer Generation figures/clothes/etc to be used on Generation 8 figures devil

To make clones -- see my clones of G9 tutorial thread.

Eboshijaana said:

So I figured how to avoid the THIG GAP issue.

Sounds good! 

Yay! That's great!

• CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,171

You're quite welcome.

For those seriously not into using a modeller, one can export .obj files from D/S [no groups], rename them if/when necessary, and then import them back into D/S via the Morph Loader Pro [if making morphs].

ALSO -- this is so neat -- making "clothing" out of any of the Genesis clan members, shaped how you please [this has nothing to do with this tutorial per sa] ... and they will load FAST, like under 2 seconds maybe ... give them "actor" bones ... and then these can be posed too.

When I use Morph Loader, should I check or uncheck "change orientation"?
  • CHWT said:

Catherine3678ab said:

You're quite welcome.

For those seriously not into using a modeller, one can export .obj files from D/S [no groups], rename them if/when necessary, and then import them back into D/S via the Morph Loader Pro [if making morphs].

ALSO -- this is so neat -- making "clothing" out of any of the Genesis clan members, shaped how you please [this has nothing to do with this tutorial per sa] ... and they will load FAST, like under 2 seconds maybe ... give them "actor" bones ... and then these can be posed too.

When I use Morph Loader, should I check or uncheck "change orientation"?

After years of not knowing better, somebody finally mentioned in a thread that they knew I read, that no we should not be changing orientation. So uncheck that box.