Bringing a Shape from G8 over to G9 - Tutorial

13»

Comments

• CHWTCHWT Posts: 1,171

CHWT said:

Catherine3678ab said:

You're quite welcome.

For those seriously not into using a modeller, one can export .obj files from D/S [no groups], rename them if/when necessary, and then import them back into D/S via the Morph Loader Pro [if making morphs].

ALSO -- this is so neat -- making "clothing" out of any of the Genesis clan members, shaped how you please [this has nothing to do with this tutorial per sa] ... and they will load FAST, like under 2 seconds maybe ... give them "actor" bones ... and then these can be posed too.

When I use Morph Loader, should I check or uncheck "change orientation"?

After years of not knowing better, somebody finally mentioned in a thread that they knew I read, that no we should not be changing orientation. So uncheck that box.

Thanks!
  • outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

Changing orientation completely screwed up my eye rigging on a G8 morph when I tried it, so I would have to agree with leaving it disabled. Maybe there are situations where it is fine, but it just didn't work for me. Perhaps it depends on how you adjust the eyes to make them fit.

I'm leaving G9 on the backburner for now until more stuff comes out, and some more tutorials. I got the eyes to work, but I didn't use the eye rigging script mentioned here. However the eyes don't dial in, either, so I clearly didn't do it right. When I dial the 3 morphs (body, eye, mouth) everything works. So that's something, I guess. I thought G9 was supposed to be easier, it doesn't feel that way to me.

• outrider42 said:

Changing orientation completely screwed up my eye rigging on a G8 morph when I tried it, so I would have to agree with leaving it disabled. Maybe there are situations where it is fine, but it just didn't work for me. Perhaps it depends on how you adjust the eyes to make them fit.

I'm leaving G9 on the backburner for now until more stuff comes out, and some more tutorials. I got the eyes to work, but I didn't use the eye rigging script mentioned here. However the eyes don't dial in, either, so I clearly didn't do it right. When I dial the 3 morphs (body, eye, mouth) everything works. So that's something, I guess. I thought G9 was supposed to be easier, it doesn't feel that way to me.

It might well be that "once upon a time" it didn't matter so much as I never noticed any problems way back when.

Today things are different. One commentor even does the ERC Freeze on eyes [G8] separately from ERC Freeze on the rest of the body. Finds it works better that way.

If things go well this week I hope to make G9 clones for all the G clans. Not likely to be any easier than it was for G8.

Today I was figuring out how to make a shaped clothing figure for background use. That was "fun."

Genesis, shaped to A3. Export out, rename and bring back in, make clothing. Apparently rigging on clothing while it is fitted to the figure is different than when it is not.

So after the clothing is made and is still fitted on the figure, I found the generated morph in the clothing, edit mode, renamed morph, also changed the type to modifier/shape, use limits, 100% for min 100% for max, lock that, uncheck auto follow ...

Check size of figure [i.e. 103% for Freak 3], unfit the clothing, make the clothing to match the height [i.e. 103% for Freak 3], Saved the clothing figure. Cleared the scene and discovered the rigging ... so did the edit to mesh, ERC freeze, saved again. The only thing is the after adjusting the rig to the mesh, the uvs went nuts. So going to stick with solid colour squares for background skins.

• Thanks for this freebie, and your other G9 ones. I can use them to bring over a few of my G8 characters now.

• Hi, where exactly is the tutorial link?

• ravenzvideo said:

Hi, where exactly is the tutorial link?

I'm on Renderosity as PetuniaPetals ;-)
    We can't post links to the page because of the ads to other people's commercial goods.
    I'll send you a PM.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157

Hi Catherine,  did you do a set of color coded UV's for Genesis 8 by any chance?  If you did can you link me up?  

Thanks so much!  

With appreciation,

Richard 

• RAMWolff said:

Hi Catherine,  did you do a set of color coded UV's for Genesis 8 by any chance?  If you did can you link me up?  

Thanks so much!  

With appreciation,

Richard 

Oh once upon probably. Might be faster if I just remake 'em ;-)

Male / Female ?

I'm all about the males.  I did get your template for the genitals but that was all I could find.  Thank you so much!  

• Okay :-)

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,153
    edited November 2022

Wolfgang 8.1 on G9 :)

G8.1M on G9 Wolfgang.png
    840 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by AllenArt on
  • AllenArt said:

Oh you're having fun! Nice job :-) 

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,241
    edited November 2022

RAMWolff said:

I'm all about the males.  I did get your template for the genitals but that was all I could find.  Thank you so much!  

Uploading to Renderosity. Should be available in 1 or 2 days. 

I made another template for the genitalia as I thought SW was acting quirky as to how it made the template BUT in testing, it seems that it could be the morphs or rigging that is adversely affecting one of the seams. Hopefully giving both sections a decent buffer zone will take care of any glitching.

There are 2 Torso templates - one for use with the genitalia [if needed this way, it has the cutout] and the other one is solid.

Readme has a texturing tip or two for those new to the process.

Got the uvs read better in SW.png
    930 x 698 - 468K
    Colourful Templates for Genesis 8 Male.png
    1000 x 1000 - 820K
    Post edited by Catherine3678ab on

You are a wonder.  Thank you so much!  heart

• You're very welcome, enjoy :-)

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591

AllenArt said:

Nice work! I"ve been unable to play much recently can't wait to do some more...

• left1000left1000 Posts: 41

does this tutorial still exist? I can't google up Catherine3678ab's username on renderosity.

• left1000 said:

does this tutorial still exist? I can't google up Catherine3678ab's username on renderosity.

Yes, the link to all my freebies is in my signature. We can't link in here to specific pages due to all the additional ads now placed on their pages.

On Renderosity I'm PetuniaPetals:  https://www.renderosity.com/users/id:961196