Looks like Hexagon is not going to be updated ... Shade is here

Comments

• Hex 64bit with some bug fixes would kick butt. The bridge function to studio would make it a great buy for all studio users. Sometimes things need reworking and hex is a good modeler but need more memory access and less crashes.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

Hex 64bit with some bug fixes would kick butt. The bridge function to studio would make it a great buy for all studio users. Sometimes things need reworking and hex is a good modeler but need more memory access and less crashes.

+1

• MorkonanMorkonan Posts: 215

Hex doesn't need 64bit as much as it needs its symmetry problems fixed, UV problems fixed, a few of the advanced tools fixed and its somewhat antiquated texture-painting issues brought up to speed. Still, I don't see DAZ doing anything with Hex. If there's a "closed beta", that's great. But, it's likely a closed beta for DS support upgrade patches for the bridge and not anything substantial to Hex's functionality. (Just my opinion. If I'm wrong, I'm happy, so I win either way. ;) )

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,932
    edited February 2016

...64 bit would allow for a more memory allocation than 2 GB when using subdividing, smoothing or creating detailed meshes.  I've locked up  Hex (as well as Silo 32 bit) just with smoothing alone.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

I know this topic is getting a little dated but I just wanted to voice my realization. Well I guess I already figured, many already assumed, and I like many are/were still in denial.

While I wish that Hex would get updated, the software is in a bit of a catch22

Daz isn't updating because compared to the entire user-base of Daz, only a very small few are interested in the product.

I don't have any data to back up but if you think of Daz's entire user base, most are here for creating images with pre-made models, not making their own models. Those that do wish to make their own models have a plethra of choices, some go with Blender, some go with Max, silo, etc. So of the few that do want to model, even fewer choose Hex. Add to that that Hex hasn't been updated and even fewer choose it because of that.

Which leads me to the next part, People aren't choosing Hex because it's old and hasn't been kept up-to-date.

So, Daz isn't updating because people aren't buying and people aren't buying because Daz isn't updating. So Daz looks at the business side of it, is it worth the risk to spend time, money and resources updating it? Will enough people buy to make it worth their while?

Many of us here who really want it updated, already have it, so it's up to new users to answer the question for Daz.

• I'll just point out that these are all the same things people were saying before the last update of Hexagon.  cheeky

So you're saying there IS an update in the works?

I'd bounce off the walls with joy right now, but the people at work here would think I'm crazy and lock me away!

• A new reference to this Beta is tantalising.  Today I opened up a load of unfinished Hexagon projects with a view to getting them completed.

Is DAZ asking anything of Hexagon users who are working with the last version?

• LilithVXLilithVX Posts: 36
    edited February 2016

I would be very happy if we got an update. All I need is just the ability to work with the model without it constantly crashing Hex becasue it does not have enough (not given enough) memory to work with. I'm not asking for a major upgrade. Although I would love a 3.0 version. Of course I would pay for it, I would not expect it to be free. 

I've used Hex since 2.0. It, 3Ds Max and Photoshop is the programs, outside of Daz Studio, that I use the most. I could of course export stuff to 3DS Max, but I love the bridge functionality. And that even after years of using 3DS Max I still find it "hard" to use, as in; there is so many functions and so little I really need. Hexagon is different, easy to learn and use, imo. On top of that I use almost everything it provides me. There is just no other 3D modeling program that compares, imo.

Post edited by LilithVX on
  • shaykallshaykall Posts: 109

My honest opinion is that DAZ do not give a rats bottom about us the Hex user and that there will never be an update.

If DAZ cared about the people that put good money into their coffers by purchasing Hex they would have come here to the forum and told us straight what the truth is

1/ Yes we are going to update Hex and or but  there will be a small cost for the update.

2/ No, there are no plans to update Hex at all.

Surely it can't be that hard to show a little loyalty and compassion to the loyal owners of Hex.

Daz still don't mind taking money for the programme but leave us in limbo.

I think also the same applies to Brice. 

Did you not see Fixmypcmike's post above? there already is an update in Private Beta

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

One can only live in hope:)

Bearing in mind the head of Daz's marketing remark that they acknowledge the need for a modelling presence (or words to that effect), I suspect that any update to Hex would be to improve the bridge to better accommodate G3 + and nothing much else.  After all, how much more do you need to do morphs and kitbash clothing - Hex already has these sorts of tools.

Hopefully this would in all liklihood mean at least a 64 bit upgrade and fixing stability issues, which would be really great in itself.

edited February 2016

My guess is the update does include 64 bit update, probably more stability along with the updated bridge. After all, they probably wouldn't bother with an update at all if they were just messing with the bridge.

My guess would be that if all they intended was the bridge, they would much more likely just say "it's not compatable anymore"

*edit*

Actually, being a programmer myself and having been thinking about this, it wouldn't make any sense to leave the other bugs in there and just update the bridge. After all, while you're tracking down causes of crashes, you wouldn't just leave alone old bugs and only fix ones dealing with the bridge. You've already done the work to track the bug down. Also, I'm not too sure how many 32 bit machines Daz employees are working on, which would only make sense to update that as well since they are working in that enviornment.

Post edited by kaotkbliss on
  • shaykallshaykall Posts: 109

Did you not see Fixmypcmike's post above? there already is an update in Private Beta

Yes I did read it, all I saw was 

Private Beta 2.5.2.x Private Builds Forum

How long has that been there? , and I still didn't see any actual statement that there is an update being built, or when it will be released.

How long has that been there? , and I still didn't see any actual statement that there is an update being built, or when it will be released.

Takes a bit of detective work - follow the "Hexagon news" link on that page - the last entry is October 2015, so "something" was happening at that time.  Whether anything further has happened since is anyone's guess...as I said, we live in hope...:)

What software companies ever make release announcements, unless the release is immenent and they go over to marketing mode? 

That's only been 4 months then. A relatively short time when it comes to programs of this size.

• *giggle*

• dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373

wonderful love hex and elegant app that deserves to be updated. i have been using hex a long time and find it works better on my macpro running 10.10.3 than previous os's

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,229
    edited February 2016
    Roygee said:

Lets not forget Nvil - probably the most advanced stand-alone modeler for under $100.  It has a limited free version.

Never heard of this one... seems a bit cryptic maybe... you apparently go to a PHP forums entry to download the latest version -

Mod Edit:   Link to Off site Commercial product removed

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited February 2016

I was quite excited when Nvil first came out, but it was too technical for my likes and the almost complete lack of user-friendly documentation and tutorials put me off.

I've since learned to model in Blender and now use nothing else:)

BTW - the direct download website is Mod Edit:   Link to Off site Commercial product removed

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,229

I have seen a bit of video of how Blender works and (surprise!) some of it seems to actually make sense - very user friendly looking even. I wasn't able to locate whatever appeared above prior to the moderator's edit, but one page suggested you need the Blender .MSI and .ZIP, plus Python and some other stuff. Is that true?

The link which was removed was for Nvil - just Google it:)

I won't kid you - Blender does take some learning, but it isn't the horror it is made out to be. There are literally millions of free vid and other tuts.  All you need is the latest version 2.76b - either .msi or zip and maybe Visual C++ 2013 - which is supplied by the Blender foundation.  It runs on Python, but you don't need that separately.

Look on YouTube for tuts by Daniel Aroyo - he is tuned into helping beginners and goes slowly and meticulously.

• A3DLoverA3DLover Posts: 198
    Blender really tuned my outloud cursing abilities but if you are patient i think its prolly as good as any high dollar ware out there. I ran into the same thibg with gimp vs photoshop. Gimp is pretty amazing yet seems to work backwards if your used to ps. So for free you really cant complain on either app
  • Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,606
    kyoto kid said:

...64 bit would allow for a more memory allocation than 2 GB when using subdividing, smoothing or creating detailed meshes.  I've locked up  Hex (as well as Silo 32 bit) just with smoothing alone.

You are aware that Silo 2 is 64bit? I would upgrade if you haven't yet it is a great modeler.

Blender really tuned my outloud cursing abilities but if you are patient i think its prolly as good as any high dollar ware out there. I ran into the same thibg with gimp vs photoshop. Gimp is pretty amazing yet seems to work backwards if your used to ps. So for free you really cant complain on either app

I, and many thousands of others, see Blender as the "Maya for the masses".  I've never used Photoshop - can't afford it.  My daughter, who is a professional CG artist and gives lessons in PS, AI, and some others which I can't recall the name of, helps me with texture issues.  She'd never seen or heard of Gimp before - just dived right in, using all her Photoshop skills and had it sorted in no time:) 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

Having paid megabucks as a college student way back when Photoshop was at version 4 and lost the massive twice as thick as a Bible manual with the serial number and getting no help from Adobe, I'd recommend Gimp too. As a customer that paid $400 for Photoshop, for myself to be punished by Adobe because of the activities of others is bad business practice and does nothing to punish the perpetrators.

Blender is fine too. And you can donate to both Gimp & Blender to help improve them.

• A3DLoverA3DLover Posts: 198
    Roygee said:

I, and many thousands of others, see Blender as the "Maya for the masses".  I've never used Photoshop - can't afford it.  My daughter, who is a professional CG artist and gives lessons in PS, AI, and some others which I can't recall the name of, helps me with texture issues.  She'd never seen or heard of Gimp before - just dived right in, using all her Photoshop skills and had it sorted in no time:) 

Didnt autodesk aquire maya and raise the price to the moon? Well while i was stuck with the latest buggy version of hex on a new pc (new in 1985) and really was hardly used at all a dell. I couldnt get dogwaffle or pixia to do what i want so got gimp. So on that like new dell p4 1.8 gimp and carrara was my only cg tools. Hex wasnt worth loading on it. 3 yrs later my old hex 2.5.2 runs great on my old restored machine as well as my version of cs1 (so happy to have it back). @Roygee can you customize ui of blender like you can most of the daz apps? I might give it another shot. This time i backed up my apps on a few external drives especially cs3 portable. Bir more anoyying than cs1 but still very functional. I thibk hex is just too cumbersome to get a update thats worthwhile. I dont use daz studio the later versions are just boat anchors slowing my pc way down.

Everything about Blender is customisable - from UI to shortcuts.  You could, for instance, set up a UI specifically for modelling, one for UV mapping, one for texturing, one for animation, save each and switch between them with a single click.  You can even have several versions of the same scene in the same file and switch back and forth :)