Looks like Hexagon is not going to be updated ... Shade is here

13»

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

There is a setup up file for Blender that is for Maya Shortcuts.

• A3DLoverA3DLover Posts: 198
    Ive used a ton of free and demo apps, 3d studio max was the only demo that never operated for me. Anyone remember gmax? @Roygee thats interesting about blender, the ui is so dauntimg and even easier to get lost on. Lightwave and blender seem to have similar ui's lw being another tuffy to learn the ins and outs. Like you Roygee ive tried alot of freeware and shareware, anim8or was my long time love affair Then i ran across bryce 4 for free (still have that) But it wasnt my modeler. Ani8 was. Then i seen a killer modeling vid here on daz and got hex. Im happy with hex for what i piffle at. Hex carrara and photoshop are my main apps. Still use an8 to smooth models to my liking tho, hex just seems to miss out on that incremental smoothing.
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

There is even a default theme to make it look (color scheme...the moving things around and the rest is up to you...) like Hexagon (minus the crashes of course...although I suppose someone could write a 'random crasher' plug in...devil)

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583
    Roygee said:

Hopefully this would in all liklihood mean at least a 64 bit upgrade and fixing stability issues, which would be really great in itself.

Its my understanding that changing an app from a 32 bit to 64 bit application is not trivial.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,172

Here is what was done in October of 2015.  (easy to find starting from the page that shows the beta):
    http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/hexagon/2/news/2015-10-02

Doesn't sound like much work being done to me.

Dana

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,579
    DanaTA said:

Here is what was done in October of 2015.  (easy to find starting from the page that shows the beta):
    http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/hexagon/2/news/2015-10-02

Doesn't sound like much work being done to me.

Dana

Not that they're ready to talk about, at least.  I see there's no sanitized change log posted, either.

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,229
    A3DLover said:
    Didnt autodesk aquire maya and raise the price to the moon?

Something like that. They used to give you a 30 day trial IIRC and while thankfully this didn't seem to result in lots of Spam, they did or do make you jump through a lot of hoops to get your trial registration number... for example the product that I tried was 3D Studio. Well worth giving the trials a go in my opinion, but I personally would isolate the trial install on a separate computer if I had a choice... just to keep things straight as to installation dates and versioning and what the #$*&@%! it was that I was thinking at the time.

That's too bad about the Adobe's seeming lack of support. After version 4 came out I attended the "product rollouts" for 5 and 6 that they had, here in my major center. 6 included all the steak and lobster etc. that you could eat, for a $1.00 cover charge IIRC. Thanks for helping us other users out!

Roygee said:

Everything about Blender is customisable - from UI to shortcuts.  You could, for instance, set up a UI specifically for modelling, one for UV mapping, one for texturing, one for animation, save each and switch between them with a single click.

That sounds like it's up my alley... one thing about Hexagon is that there sure are a lot of little on-screen symbols that may or may not be important and related... seems to me that I almost need to collect screenshots of them, taken from the on-line Reference guide, and print out little "rows" to stick onto the sides of my monitor, along with my observations on what each one does and what I did with it recently that was of interest. Young man's game, urrrgh. cheeky

• RaytownmikeRaytownmike Posts: 61
    Roman_K2 said:
    A3DLover said:
    Didnt autodesk aquire maya and raise the price to the moon?

Something like that. They used to give you a 30 day trial IIRC and while thankfully this didn't seem to result in lots of Spam, they did or do make you jump through a lot of hoops to get your trial registration number... for example the product that I tried was 3D Studio. Well worth giving the trials a go in my opinion, but I personally would isolate the trial install on a separate computer if I had a choice... just to keep things straight as to installation dates and versioning and what the #$*&@%! it was that I was thinking at the time.

That's too bad about the Adobe's seeming lack of support. After version 4 came out I attended the "product rollouts" for 5 and 6 that they had, here in my major center. 6 included all the steak and lobster etc. that you could eat, for a $1.00 cover charge IIRC. Thanks for helping us other users out!

Roygee said:

Everything about Blender is customisable - from UI to shortcuts.  You could, for instance, set up a UI specifically for modelling, one for UV mapping, one for texturing, one for animation, save each and switch between them with a single click.

That sounds like it's up my alley... one thing about Hexagon is that there sure are a lot of little on-screen symbols that may or may not be important and related... seems to me that I almost need to collect screenshots of them, taken from the on-line Reference guide, and print out little "rows" to stick onto the sides of my monitor, along with my observations on what each one does and what I did with it recently that was of interest. Young man's game, urrrgh. cheeky

I wonder how many active users there are in Hexagon nation currently?