Render your buys! Use buys from the current month and the previous month of sales

Comments

• columbinecolumbine Posts: 387
    edited December 2023

Matthew Spencer. Mrs. Harold Whitehall and Her Daughters Elaine and Mary. Photograph, 1912.

No, not really. This is me experimenting with in-render techniques. None of the effects were applied in "post-production," this is how it came out of the renderer.

There are two new purchases in here, both of which I got in the G8 grab bag sale this afternoon; the Catherina figure (the mother, in the back) and the Evaline outfit that both of the daughters are wearing. I have always felt there is a certain family resemblance between several iSourceTextures figures. The daughters are played by Akoulina and Ludmilla.

daughters.png
    1000 x 1000 - 2M
    Post edited by columbine on
  • ShimrianShimrian Posts: 526
    edited December 2023

I'm picking up a few outfits from those lightning deals and environments the advent calendar, so need to make some scenes for them. 

Survival in the Wastelands

woman with a gun

Click the title link for all items used.

Post edited by Shimrian on
  • Thanks for sharing all these renders. They're so cool! I always enjoy taking a peek at what everyone's testing out or feeling inspired to make with their shiny new things. smiley

columbine said:

Matthew Spencer. Mrs. Harold Whitehall and Her Daughters Elaine and Mary. Photograph, 1912.

SUPER eerie and really cool! There's a definite family resemblance and those stiff expressions and poses are just perfectly creepy! Amazing how you got this 'old photo' effect in DS itself. Nicely done! 

• Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,208

Richard Haseltine said:

Llola Lane said:

paulawp (marahzen) said:

The zits in this blemish kit seem a bit harsh ... or maybe I was just lucky that's what it seems to me. 

https://www.daz3d.com/i13-classroom-environment
    https://www.daz3d.com/fe-cute-dynamic-short-hair-for-genesis-9
    https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-city-style-outfit-for-genesis-9
    https://www.daz3d.com/betty-teen-accessory-pack-for-genesis-9
    https://www.daz3d.com/imperfectly-perfect-blemishes-for-genesis-9
    https://www.daz3d.com/ah-orthodontic-braces-for-genesis-9

I suppose some teenagers have skin that bad... Can you turn down displacement?  Maybe that will help?

Some, at least, should be reducible by adding a simple mask layer in LIE.

Hummm... I've never done that before... not sure I even know how to do it.  Playing with displacement works for me most of the time... I'll have to try and figure out what you mean Richard... I always like to know other ways to do things.  Thanks for the tip.  

• sidsid Posts: 432

Ninefold said:

sid said:

I also got JeanPierre who is probably more stylised than I'd normally use (nevermind that I've posed him here next to an orc). I'm not sure what skin condition the grey tone is meant to be. He does come with lots of options though. Would probably look ok with a Cynder Blue character if you needed a couple.

Did you use the body hair he comes with? When I checked out his promos yesterday, my guess was that the grey was the subsurface scattering artefact that you get when another mesh clips into a character's skin. I've seen it appear like a wash of grey with some fibermesh beards. Or is it in his textures?

From the promos, I couldn't really nail down whether I liked his face or not, but he looks great in your render.

Edit: What's holding your sand back is that it seems undisturbed, which doesn't match what's going on in your render. There are at least two guys walking on it, so there should be footprints, and the sand should either be churned up by all this rubble and debris landing in it (if the debris is new), or piled up against the debris like little snowdrifts (if the debris has been around for a while). This is pretty hard to do in DAZ Studio, but a good place to start would be a ground material that's not so smooth. There's also the placeable footprints in Infinite Sands, but this is an older asset and I don't know how they'd hold up.

The grey seems to be painted in, but that's a good thought. The PA must have liked that effect. I wonder what they were going for? (And I can see what you mean with the clipping, I've stuck the forehead beads so they're intersecting with the skin, the surounding skin goes quite grey.)

The body hair that comes with him is super fine. (And noes not come with a version that applies to the pecs - he must wax.) If anyone wants to see you'll probably have to zoom in.

And thanks both to you and Llola Lane, I'll keep playing with the sand effect based on those ideas. I thought I could use Meshgrabber to deform the ground they're standing on. I didn't realise Daz had geometry layers. I'm going to have to look into that!

• Not exactly centre of shot, but Thorne's Nala is sheltering behind a V3 vintage shield and is close to being immolated by dragon fire.

Also bought the dragon texture & dragon/sword fire in the recent sales.

Regards

Richard

• SapphireBlue said:

Thanks for sharing all these renders. They're so cool! I always enjoy taking a peek at what everyone's testing out or feeling inspired to make with their shiny new things. smiley

columbine said:

SUPER eerie and really cool! There's a definite family resemblance and those stiff expressions and poses are just perfectly creepy! Amazing how you got this 'old photo' effect in DS itself. Nicely done! 

Thank you! The "old photo" effect is partly tweaking of render settings, notably saturation and whitepoint plus the teensiest bit of bloom, but the heavy lifting on surface damage and aging is done by KA's LoFi Cam (listed on the store as Iray Lofi), which puts a filter plane right in front of the camera for that sort of effect. (It also does tricks with ring lighting and such, but all I used for this was the filter plane.) Highly recommended kit, especially if you do a lot of panels that are supposed to look like video playback or other similar things (e.g. if you're doing a Blair Witch-style hand-held camera bit).

columbine said:

SapphireBlue said:

Thanks for sharing all these renders. They're so cool! I always enjoy taking a peek at what everyone's testing out or feeling inspired to make with their shiny new things. smiley

columbine said:

Thank you! The "old photo" effect is partly tweaking of render settings, notably saturation and whitepoint plus the teensiest bit of bloom, but the heavy lifting on surface damage and aging is done by KA's LoFi Cam (listed on the store as Iray Lofi), which puts a filter plane right in front of the camera for that sort of effect. (It also does tricks with ring lighting and such, but all I used for this was the filter plane.) Highly recommended kit, especially if you do a lot of panels that are supposed to look like video playback or other similar things (e.g. if you're doing a Blair Witch-style hand-held camera bit).

Here's the linky... https://www.daz3d.com/iray-lofi ... thanks for the heads up (wishlisted!)  Looks like an interesting set to have in my runtime... now just need it on a good sale.  ;)

• Llola Lane said:

columbine said:

SapphireBlue said:

columbine said:

Here's the linky... https://www.daz3d.com/iray-lofi ... thanks for the heads up (wishlisted!)  Looks like an interesting set to have in my runtime... now just need it on a good sale.  ;)

I wishlisted it too. I've wishlisted a lot during the current sale. 

paulawp (marahzen) said:

Llola Lane said:

columbine said:

SapphireBlue said:

columbine said:

I wishlisted it too. I've wishlisted a lot during the current sale.

ditto... LOL

• SapphireBlueSapphireBlue Posts: 876
    edited December 2023

columbine Ah, the KA LoFi Cam - I remember that one - that makes sense in view of the old damaged photo look. I tend to just go with PS filters and Ron's plates and things, but for an image series, it's a pain to have to postwork every image, so something like this would make a difference.

But of course, paulawp and Llola Lane, I had a quick look at the lofi cam to see what the promos looked like again, and yup, I seem to have already purchased it a while back... cheeky Shocking! NOT....  Haven't of course used it as yet... blush

I've been challenging myself to work on a few image series with my new buys (and old), but by the time I finish, I think they'll all have to go in the other thread! laugh Rendering takes soooo much longer than shopping does! Lol. wink

Post edited by SapphireBlue on

SapphireBlue said:

But of course, paulawp and Llola Lane, ......  Haven't of course used it as yet... blush

... isn't there a thread for that now???  lol

• Llola Lane said:

SapphireBlue said:

But of course, paulawp and Llola Lane, ......  Haven't of course used it as yet... blush

Well, at this point, I have a whole truckload of stuff that's both new and old ... untested stuff dating back before the PA sale ...

• SapphireBlue said:

But of course, 
    paulawp and Llola Lane, I had a quick look at the lofi cam to see what the promos looked like again, and yup, I seem to have already purchased it a while back... cheeky Shocking! NOT....  Haven't of course used it as yet... blush

There's nothing quite like the sensation of thinking, "Oh, that looks nifty, I should look into that," and going to the item page on the store and seeing a big red PURCHASED up in the corner.

I bought that already? When? Why? Why haven't I used it? Where the heck did I put it?

columbine said:

SapphireBlue said:

But of course, 
    paulawp and Llola Lane, I had a quick look at the lofi cam to see what the promos looked like again, and yup, I seem to have already purchased it a while back... cheeky Shocking! NOT....  Haven't of course used it as yet... blush

There's nothing quite like the sensation of thinking, "Oh, that looks nifty, I should look into that," and going to the item page on the store and seeing a big red PURCHASED up in the corner.

I bought that already? When? Why? Why haven't I used it? Where the heck did I put it?

Haaa.. it's like you read my mind columbine!  lol

paulawp (marahzen) said:

Llola Lane said:

SapphireBlue said:

Well, at this point, I have a whole truckload of stuff that's both new and old ... untested stuff dating back before the PA sale ...

ditto... I plan on filling up the threads starting in January... lol.  I have been sooooooooooo bad :(

I was lucky enough to pick up a few cheap things in the grab-bag two days ago, including a $4 Linday hair!

Also from this months deals and punchcard:

This started out as https://forum.daz3d.com/beatrice-and-bartholemew-for-genesis-9 but I just can't get the CJ anatomy to pose in a way that looks correct to me, so I've dialed out the bodies, modified the faces, and swapped out the materials, so hardly an endorsement, but they do look great in the product promos.

https://forum.daz3d.com/sci-fi-lieutenant-outfit-for-genesis-3-female-s

https://forum.daz3d.com/duchess-pearls-for-genesis-9

Heroic Masks for Genesis 9 - Xmas freebie

I'm still don't have really flexible dforce hairs that work with Gensis 9 and lying down poses! I have a few of the older Linday hairs, but I struggle to get them to work with Gensis 9. (Curly hair her ok, but Virgin hair has all sorts of strangeness.) I had high hopes for https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-mermaid-hair-for-genesis-8-and-81-females but it doesn't seem to fit to Genesis 9.

• Lovely image, Sid, though it does look like that's going to be a hard landing and he's going to have the wind knocked out of him at the very least :P

More seriously, I'm curious what specific posing problems you had with Beatrice and Bartholomew. I'd like to file it away for future reference; I bought them, but apart from one quick test render, I haven't done anything with them yet.

• csaacsaa Posts: 815

columbine said:

No, not really. This is me experimenting with in-render techniques. None of the effects were applied in "post-production," this is how it came out of the renderer.

There are two new purchases in here, both of which I got in the G8 grab bag sale this afternoon; the Catherina figure (the mother, in the back) and the Evaline outfit that both of the daughters are wearing. I have always felt there is a certain family resemblance between several iSourceTextures figures. The daughters are played by Akoulina and Ludmilla.

columbine,

Had me fooled at first glance! In terms of mood, what flashed across my mind were the eerie photos in the movie The Others ... except your figures have their eyes open.

Hope to see more.

Cheers!

edited December 2023

columbine said:

More seriously, I'm curious what specific posing problems you had with Beatrice and Bartholomew. I'd like to file it away for future reference; I bought them, but apart from one quick test render, I haven't done anything with them yet.

I don't want to say that they're wrong or anything, they're obviously meant to be stylised and have a low body fat %. It's just to my eye the landmarks seem to be a bit odd and strangely proportioned, particularly the arms and chests. Maybe vampires work out different muscles! (And I'm not an anatomy expert by any means). 

Attached some comparisions. Beatrice and Bart on the left, Van Helsing and Nahuel on the right.

beatrice.jpg
    2000 x 2700 - 2M
    vart.jpg
    2000 x 2700 - 2M
    Post edited by sid on
  • Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,520

The bikini isn't newly purchased, but it's on theme for today's swimwear theme.

The footprints though (Tracks and Footprint Decals) were bought during the sale (even if I did have to modify them to make them into horse bootprints).

Gallery Link

• joannajoanna Posts: 1,284

Little Ida's Flowers

Made for Daz Monthly contest, but I thought I'd share it here as well, since dforce Kon Pretty Outfit is new (last months' sales), and I'm trying out a few items I never used before. Special, invisible guest, is the 3-part 8 point light tutorial by Dreamlight which popped up in my Advent Calendar twice, so I went ahead and bought the missing part. Slowly working through them, finding inspiration and new tricks, so this might as well could have been called "Joanna is learning light". ;)

Information on the inspiration story and all items used in the gallery.

• Matt_Castle Oh the snowman! Your centaur looks so cute in those yellow mittens, boots and hat. The bikini has me scratching my head though... laugh

joanna A very sweet and pensive render! heartI need to go through that and all the other Dreamlight and still other tutorials I've managed to buy over time... Sigh.

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,520
    Oh, it's a straight up parody of those Instagram shots where either someone has started some daft challenge, or some marketing executive is wondering why they're not selling enough bikinis in the winter and decides to pay some poor young woman to freeze herself wearing their products.
  • paulawp (marahzen)paulawp (marahzen) Posts: 1,313
    edited December 2023

I've spent the last few days creating random new characters with Face Transfer 2 for the thread on that. But I figured it was time to come back and visit this thread and post something new. Here's a new FT2 character from today's twiddlings, along with the new Madame Bleu Outfit and a couple of other things I've picked up recently.

https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-madame-bleu-outfit-for-genesis-9-feminine
    https://www.daz3d.com/old-village-wishing-well-iray
    https://www.daz3d.com/an-english-village-for-daz-studio

Wishing.jpg
    1300 x 1300 - 943K
    Post edited by paulawp (marahzen) on
  • paulawp (marahzen) said:

I've spent the last few days creating random new characters with Face Transfer 2 for the thread on that. But I figured it was time to come back and visit this thread and post something new. Here's a new FT2 character from today's twiddlings, along with the new Madame Bleu Outfit and a couple of other things I've picked up recently.

What a stunning character! Love the mood of this render! 

paulawp (marahzen) said:

I like the character you created... she's 'normal' girl next door. :) 

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,492
    edited December 2023

Never let it be said that I'm in the forefront of technological advances. Just to prove it is an A Frame House model and a TriAx converted V3 model (Rianne by Handspan and Thorne) set in an UltraScenery landscape with a VDB cloud decorating the sky. Both the house and V3 character from the Advent Calendar paid items. Clothing is from last month's Ironman sales (Modern Cowgirl outfit for G3F)

Regards,

Richard.

Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • NinefoldNinefold Posts: 256

That is gorgeous, Hylas!