Cthog Poser Figure test request

13»

Comments

• Ah my god, what a headache this is turning into for me. No pun intended. The whole DS/Poser rift of functionality is something I've steadfastly avoided. It seems to be an obsession for some Poser users with Gene. Now here I am drawn into it against my will. Lol. It's a Poser Figure. Only really works in Poser. :(
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

It's not you...it's how DS groups them and there isn't much to be done about it, other than saying where to look for the various morphs, poses, dials...

Short of making it a pure DS file, it's hard to get the items grouped into any logical order.  They are in there, we'll find them, and that's what counts. laugh

• Sigh. Ah well.
  • SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    Hi SlimerJSpud. Mechmouth is just a shaping morph to give the mouth a mechanical or robotic look. If you look under the control morphs you will see LipsPart, which opens just the lips. MouthOpen opens both the lips and teeth, also there is a group of morphs titled Mandibles_XTran that lets you control the opening and closing of each of the 4 sets of teeth, located under 'MouthParts control'. Are all of my morph groups and controls categorized in expandable groups in DS (as they are in Poser)? I spent a lot of time organizing and placing the morphs and controls in labeled categories, I hope that DS hasn't arbitrarily dumped all those dials in some random fashion, that would be a complete mess. The groups in Poser are as follows: Control MouthParts_Control Shapes Cranium CraniumAdjust Face_Upper Face_UpperAdjust Face_Lower ******************** Control morphs/ERC control facial movement or expressions, Shapes deal with the shaping morphs. Without this organization I'd say using this would be a disorganized wreck. Lol, hope those groups are being shown in DS.

Doh! I completely missed the Control groups. They're there alright. A nice set of them too. Not too complicated at all.

• I just wanted to say, looking back over all of the imagery, that I really appreciate everyone here taking time to experiment with this thing. It's been very helpful in determining how all of this is working in DS. I'd say that despite a little clunkyness in translation with a little effort the head could be of use for folks in the Daz Studio community. Keep an eye out for some further add ons. Thanks again.
  • FistyFisty Posts: 3,416

DS has three settings for displacement - overall strength, negative value, and positive value.  There is not such thing as a displacement map that doesn't work (in 3Delight at least), it just needs the values set correctly.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

If the gamma is 'double corrected' the mid value will be a very light grey, there by 'puffing out' everything...or if the map is too dark, it will shrink everything.  It's effectively shifting the 'zero point'.  Yes it can be compensated for or the map can be set so the gamma isn't being double corrected...the easier option.  The best way, if it is a jpeg...make sure it is always set to greyscale.  The way Studio works uses the header info, if present to tell whether or not the map needs a correction.  Or, set the gamma value to 1 in the image editor...which tells Studio to leave the map alone.  If it's a png, whch can have that info...but mostly doesn't, it still will guess, unless specifically told not.   That's what the 0 in the gamma in the Image Editor means...'guess'.  In 4.8, some of the control map slots are set so that Studio won't guess...but I don't know if all of them are.  This same problem can show up with transparency maps and cause all sorts of unexpected behavior. 

I find setting the control maps to greyscale in an image editor a little bit of insurance that they will be read and used as intended.  And double checking and correcting any control maps in presets being saved.