"I've become addicted to TV" September Freebie Challenge

Comments

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175
    edited December 1969

Little NAE from Alexa.

This was an halfhearted attempt at making "Thor" from SG-1. This was done the week after Genesis Evolution Morphs were released.

The title is: "Times are tough! Can I interest you in a slightly used hammer or helm?"

Kendall

:lol:

Dana

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:

Cool! That was a TV show?

Dana

Hope we have the same definition for TV Show. It was a japanese cartoon I used to watch back then when I was younger and was addicted to TV.

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    Little NAE from Alexa.

This was an halfhearted attempt at making "Thor" from SG-1. This was done the week after Genesis Evolution Morphs were released.

The title is: "Times are tough! Can I interest you in a slightly used hammer or helm?"

Kendall

:lol:

Dana

The same :) the title is excellent and considering the Hammer it makes it funnier

• edited September 2012

--

Post edited by seanmartindesign_64d900c7bd on
  • Gloomy007Gloomy007 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Oh, so many beutiful new entries :) Thank you very much guys. Will check them in te evening at the PC time :)

• BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

"The Prisoner"

Rover: hi-poly ball prop, PoserPro 2012 content

Hair: Male hair for the P4 guy, PoserPro 2012 content

Figure: Ichiro, PoserPro 2012 content

Ichiro should be considered a paid-for since you can purchase it separately.
    edited September 2012

BWSman said:
    "The Prisoner"

Hmm.. but you can also purchase a lot of DS content separetly, and it was never an issue, when someone used the one that came with DS...

I think our highly enlighted leader should give some input into this :D

And on a side note.. I got today 3 notifications .. yay :)

Post edited by Gloomy007 on
    edited December 1969

Krissy said:
    BWSman said:
    "The Prisoner"

Hmm.. but you can also purchase a lot of DS content separetly, and it was never an issue, when someone used the one that came with DS...

The major difference with that is DS is free while Poser has to be purchased.

• edited September 2012

Deleting my response for the moment, save to say that if we're allowing base figures that can be purchased separately, then I'm afraid I dont see an issue here.

• jeeperzjeeperz Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

BWSman said:
    Krissy said:
    BWSman said:
    "The Prisoner"

Looking at just the previous page, I can see two instances where "Genesis" and "M4" are considered neutral. One can purchase those as well. In fact, go through a lot of the entries, and any instance of Vicki or Michael being used is considered a given, despite the fact that they are not listed a paid items, which, by your logic, they should be.

we allow M4 because it and V4 as well as A4 were free at one time for a long time actually, and since V5 has come out for Genesis we have accepted it. All other characters must be listed as paid items. Since as a poser user I would have to purchase it to get the character. Same thing for any characters in poser that DS users would have to purchase would be considered a paid item. we allow some things but most that have to be purchased separately especially the characters are consider paid items.

• edited December 1969

jeeperz said:
    BWSman said:
    Krissy said:
    BWSman said:
    "The Prisoner"

Looking at just the previous page, I can see two instances where "Genesis" and "M4" are considered neutral. One can purchase those as well. In fact, go through a lot of the entries, and any instance of Vicki or Michael being used is considered a given, despite the fact that they are not listed a paid items, which, by your logic, they should be.

we allow M4 because it and V4 as well as A4 were free at one time for a long time actually, and since V5 has come out for Genesis we have accepted it. All other characters must be listed as paid items. Since as a poser user I would have to purchase it to get the character. Same thing for any characters in poser that DS users would have to purchase would be considered a paid item. we allow some things but most that have to be purchased separately especially the characters are consider paid items.

Fine.

Consider the entry withdrawn.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited September 2012

The gen 4 figure were declared as Neutral when DAZ 3D changed them from free to paid characters. It was debated at the time, and declared the best way to deal with the problem because at the time they were the most used figures, whether one used DS or Poser, because at that time Genesis hadn't arrived on the scene.

Genesis is of course free with DS4, and DS4 is free at the current time, do that is obviously a freebie that everyone could obtain for free if they were so inclined.

Figures that come with Poser, which is a paid for program are by definition not free, because you have to purchase Poser in order to use them, and in your case Poser 2012, which is the latest and most expensive version of Poser.

We do allow Poser as one of the rendering programs allowed, but do exclude content which comes with specific versions of the program.

For Freebie items to be counted as freebies they need to be available for anyone and everyone at zero price and not dependent on a separate purchase to get them.

I am not certain if we ever did clarify whether Poser specific figures would be considered as paid for or neutral, but one that is included in Poser 2012 content but is also available as a paid for item separately would certainly not be considered a freebie.

Please check the rules

Post edited by Chohole on
  • edited September 2012

chohole said:
    The gen 4 figure were declared as Neutral when DAZ 3D changed them from free to paid characters. It was debated at the time, and declared the best way to deal with the problem because at the time they were the most used figures, whether one used DS or Poser, because at that time Genesis hadn't arrived on the scene.

Genesis is of course free with DS4, and DS4 is free at the current time, do that is obviously a freebie that everyone could obtain for free if they were so inclined.

Figures that come with Poser, which is a paid for program are by definition not free, because you have to purchase Poser in order to use them, and in your case Poser 2012, which is the latest and most expensive version of Poser.

We do allow Poser as one of the rendering programs allowed, but do exclude content which comes with specific versions of the program.

For Freebie items to be counted as freebies they need to be available for anyone and everyone at zero price and not dependent on a separate purchase to get them.

Please check the rules

M4 and V4 do not come with Studio. They may have been free at one point in time, but now they must be purchased separately, yet no one complained about their usage. Declaring them "neutral" just because "everyone uses them" is sliding around your own rules for the sake of convenience. If anything, the rules should reflect the change of their status and restrict this solely to *only* those figures that come with Studio.

Bottom line: The rules state that any non-paid item must be available to the entire community — which these are not. Then it should be applied across the board. Period.

But whatever, madam. The entry is withdrawn.

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,697
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

I am not certain if we ever did clarify whether Poser specific figures would be considered as paid for or neutral, but one that is included in Poser 2012 content but is also available as a paid for item separately would certainly not be considered a freebie.

Please check the rules

I was under the impression (granted, I've not tested this) that Poser's included content was "no count" if and only if the render was done in Poser (and I think Ichiro has been in that stack since P8---at least since "Poser Debut" that I got during their Dec. 2011 free-release). Poser content (including Posette and the Dork) in a non-Poser render was a "paid item".

I only ever entered once, though, without any base figures at all.

edited December 1969

The full rules for all the monthly challenges can be found here:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/286/

Partially quoted here; I've emphasized the pertinent rule applicable to this situation.

The following are the rules for the Daz Freebie Challenge. They will apply each month. These rules are subject to change from time to time. The freebie count in number 1 will vary according to the host of the month. Also the paid for count in number 2. All else will remain the same unless I update any. This will be a locked thread, so any questions will have to be asked in the thread of the challenge for that month.

The Rules:

1. A minimum of 10 freebies.

2. A maximum of 3 purchased items. (you may list the Reality plugin as one of them)

3. Base figures (V4, K4, Genesis and M4) don’t count as a purchased item or a freebie and may be used as needed.

4. No postwork. This rule WILL NOT CHANGE SO DON’T ASK! (except for signatures and borders)

5. Bryce, Hexagon, Blender, Poser and Daz are allowed for the contest. Items given free with these Apps will not count towards the freebie count as they will not be available for all users, but can be used as non countable items. Poser figures need clarification as they can normally only be used within poser and are essentially paid for items as Poser is a paid for app.

• edited September 2012

Never mind. Not worth it.

edited December 1969

I did explain the reasoning behind that one. If we don't make the gen 4 figures a neutral item anyone who doesn't use newer versions of either Poser or DS will have no human figures at all to use since DAZ 3D made gen 4 figures a paid for item.

Ichiro on the other hand, despite being included in Poser versions since P7, is still a human figure from a Non DAZ 3D vendor and is only therefore available to DS users and those who still use P6 or earlier as a paid for item from a store other than DAZ 3D store.

This challenge is after all an official DAZ 3D challenge, and indeed was for a while actually sponsored by DAZ 3D with vouchers as additional prizes as well as being acknowledged as an official contest.

• edited September 2012

But the bottom line remains:

These are not free character meshes. They were once upon a time, but now they are not. And if we're making exceptions based on "well, peple have to use *something*!", then I would maintain that any character mesh that comes with a software that's acceptable for rendering purposes without citing that package as a paid item should be allowed.

Once more: this is all moot. The entry in question has been withdrawn.

• jeeperzjeeperz Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

But the bottom line remains:

These are not free character meshes. They were once upon a time, but now they are not. And if we're making exceptions based on "well, peple have to use *something*!", then I would maintain that any character mesh that comes with a software that's acceptable for rendering purposes without citing that package as a paid item should be allowed.

Once more: this is all moot. The entry in question has been withdrawn.

but Sean, if you read the main rules that music posted (as BWSman showed you), the reason we allow the characters of M4 V4 and A4 as well as Genesis are very clear. we don't allow ALL characters, just those and of course all of the Mike, Vickie's and Aiko's are also allowed. This rule has not changed since the beginning of our contest. moot or not that is the way it is, and we appreciate you bringing this to our attention, but complaining will not change the rules. You removed your render but I missed it and unless all of your freebies listed were from your rendering program, as long as you have the required freebies then there was no reason to remove it. Having a whatever attitude is not necessary. You just misunderstood the rules when you read them, that is not a problem unless you make it one. We are all trying to help, if you don't want to hear it that's fine, there are many contests out there that have less rules or rules that suit you better. These rules work for us and our contest, I'm sorry they don't fit into what you had in mind. Peace dude.

• edited December 1969

It no longer matters.

The entry is withdrawn. Move on, people. Nothing to see here.

Glad it works for you.

• edited December 1969

Sorry, not to spoil the party any more than I have, but a question that now seems pertinent for my other entry.

It's using an IBL light, one that came with the software but works only in Poser. Do I consider that a paid item?

edited December 1969

Not if it's a standard part of poser. Poser is allowed as a renderer, which means that you would need to use poser lights, stands to reason.

• edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Not if it's a standard part of poser. Poser is allowed as a renderer, which means that you would need to use poser lights, stands to reason.

Well, see, here's the problem.

You cant use it in Studio, because DS wont read IBLs from Poser, therefore it doesnt fall under the category of a tool anyone can use. It's a light, which makes it no different from a prop or a texture. If we're allowing it because it's part of the "standard part of Poser", then so is any character mesh that comes with the program, just as one would expect to be able to use primitives, which in my other entry I do, to carry the wall and floor.

So IMHO it stands to reason that it — and the primitives employed — should be listed as a paid item. And if so, then I must regretfully pull my other entry.

Please advise.

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited September 2012

chohole said:

You cant use it in Studio, because DS wont read IBLs from Poser, therefore it doesnt fall under the category of a tool anyone can use. It's a light, which makes it no different from a prop or a texture. If we're allowing it because it's part of the "standard part of Poser", then so is any character mesh that comes with the program, just as one would expect to be able to use primitives, which in my other entry I do, to carry the wall and floor.

So IMHO it stands to reason that it — and the primitives employed — should be listed as a paid item. And if so, then I must regretfully pull my other entry.

Please advise.

The freebies are about content, not infrastructure. Lighting, dynamics, particles, etc that are part of the base tech of the software fall outside of "content." Poser can't do geo-grafting. DS can't do dynamic hair. But none of that is "content."

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
  • edited December 1969

chohole said:

Please advise.

The freebies are about content, not infrastructure. Lighting, dynamics, particles, etc that are part of the base tech of the software fall outside of "content." Poser can't do geo-grafting. DS can't do dynamic hair. But none of that is "content."

Kendall

And I would respectfully disagree. An IBL light is not the same as a simple spot or point. It uses an image as its base. If Poser is to be used strictly as a rendering engine, then nothing contained in the libraries should be allowed — and that apparently should include IBL lighting because the image used for the IBL is no different from a texture applied to a prop. It is a piece of the library that is unique to Poser, and that alone would mean that if I'm to be allowed to use the lighting, I should at the very least change the IBL *image* to something that comes from a free source... but not the images that come with the program.

Merely trying to understand where you draw the line. I sweated bullets on that first image, getting everything to work just right within Poser itself. Everything was prepped before it went into the render to create the look of postwork: shadows, perspective on textures, the whole shot. There is, as far as I can see, only one place where it betrays itself, but since no one's caught it, I'm gonna consider it good as is. Unfortunately that image, as tuned as it is, included an image-based light that, according to your rules, should have been disqualified.

edited December 1969

I think I have to re-read the rules. pretty much every time before I will say something.

Sean. I think I allowed 3 payed items, so even with Ichiro being counted as payed for, your entry still stayes, since it is in the resonalble border.

I will make my judgings on the second one as soon as will come to it :) Or should I consider it withdrawn ??

Oh and DS is capable of IBL, so I do not think it is an issue here.

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,697
    edited December 1969

Not ALL Mikes and Vickies are allowed: only M4/V4 and (maybe) V5. I have both Michael and Victoria in versions 2-5 (thanks to a brief all-figures-free deal and a CG magazine from the bookstore), but M2/V2/M3/V3/A2 are all "paid for" now, unless you have a legitimate link to the Download.com bundle for M3/V3/A3/H3 figures only. (Is that even still up?) Stephanie/Aiko2 were "freebies" only while they were free.

On a related note: is a remapped V2, for instance (or Dork, or Gen2 Stephanie) a freebie (the UV maps and/or CR2), a Paid Item (the converted-from figure) or both? Is there a distinction between a re-UV'd version (Bloodsong's remapped Stephaine gets you a UVS file) and an RTE/OBJaction-encoded version (the Gen3 remaps of P4M/P4F on Rendo) in this regard, when both need the purchased content for use?

edited December 1969

As some people think there is not enough entry I made a big sacrifice and spent a few days setting up a scene :)

I must say it was not easy with Phil's stuff and I planned to start with Antonia. However got another idea and in fact, it was something I wanted to do long ago but didn't take the time to do it. So now is the time and I'm very happy to present you

THE SPACE PIRATE

Freebie list

Not counted :

Genesis, Journeyer Scout Vest, pant, wristguard and boots

Required freebie

PhilC M4A1 http://www.philc.net/files/freestuff/M4A1.zip

Contest freebies

Smith and Wesson Magnum http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=7a0333c2fdd8b416d4769fa197caac52&prevstart=0
    Landspeeder http://www.cocs.com/poser/Landspeeder.zip
    Landspeeder texture http://www.poserdirect.com/sparkyworld/freebiefiles/newland.zip
    The psycho gun http://www.poserdirect.com/freebies/thecobgun.zip
    Scifi Environnement http://www.poserdirect.com/freebies/scifi01.zip
    Ice boy shoulder Armor http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=62258
    Han Solo Gun Belt http://www.sharecg.com/v/31564/View/11/Poser/Solos-Gunbelt
    Cigar http://www.sharecg.com/v/31406/View/11/Poser/Victorian-Era-Cigar-Box-With-Cigars
    Nadino mask http://www.sharecg.com/v/51122/View/11/Poser/M4-Nadino-Mask
    V4 Templar Chest and boots http://xero-web.net/home/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=26&Itemid=39
    Imperial Officer Belt http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/details.php?item_id=63104
    V4 Headstock from V4 Sci fi Armor http://www.sharecg.com/v/50021/View/11/Poser/V4-Sci-Fi-Armor
    Taarna Kneepad only, taken from the boots http://www.sharecg.com/v/47978/gallery/11/Poser/Cosplay-Costume-5-for-V4
    WW costume, bottom costum only http://www.sharecg.com/v/46653/gallery/11/Poser/Cosplay-costume-2-for-V4

Thank you very much for entring the challenge. It is really nice render, there is enough links, and PhilC freebie, but a lot of links going directly to the files. Also PhilC link.
    I will have to ask you to change the list, so they will dirct to the page, were possible.

Otherwise, all is fine and I really like the atmsophere of this render :) it seems simple, but you can just feel the tension :)

edited December 1969

Not ALL Mikes and Vickies are allowed: only M4/V4 and (maybe) V5. I have both Michael and Victoria in versions 2-5 (thanks to a brief all-figures-free deal and a CG magazine from the bookstore), but M2/V2/M3/V3/A2 are all "paid for" now, unless you have a legitimate link to the Download.com bundle for M3/V3/A3/H3 figures only. (Is that even still up?) Stephanie/Aiko2 were "freebies" only while they were free.

On a related note: is a remapped V2, for instance (or Dork, or Gen2 Stephanie) a freebie (the UV maps and/or CR2), a Paid Item (the converted-from figure) or both? Is there a distinction between a re-UV'd version (Bloodsong's remapped Stephaine gets you a UVS file) and an RTE/OBJaction-encoded version (the Gen3 remaps of P4M/P4F on Rendo) in this regard, when both need the purchased content for use?

Well I V3, M3. A3 and H3 are still free, so pretty much allowed http://download.cnet.com/Poser-DAZStudio-3D-Models-Pack/3000-6677_4-10579249.html

Well on this question I do not have an answer... So I will not say

edited December 1969

Do you know if I wasn't a moderator, and didn't have to keep my head while all around me are losing theirs, I could really say something here.

Eustace, Sean, can you please stop quibbling about silly things and get back to the fun and frolics that the freebie challenge is supposed to be all about and has been all about for 5 years now.

Sean, Krissy has already said she will take it on her head to bend the rules slightly for you on your first entry.

So please now lets get back to the fun of the normal freebie challenge, without all the challenges about the freebies.