"I've become addicted to TV" September Freebie Challenge

Comments

• edited December 1969

Krissy said:
    IDS is capable of IBL

You miss my point — and forgive me for saying so, but it's a rather large one.

Yes, Studio has IBL... but it's not the same as IBL in Poser. But we'll go along with the fact that, in generic terms, IBL is IBL is IBL.

What makes the situation different is that IBL uses an image, just as a prop uses a texture. To say that this should be allowed would then suggest that were I to somehow apply a texture for a Ryan t-shirt to a Michael t-shirt, that should be allowed... because mechanically there's no difference between that and how IBL works. And yet were I to use that t-shirt texture, I would have to list it as a paid item, because it's unique to Poser, just as the images used for Poser-based IBL are unique to Poser. They start from photographs that you can find in the runtime library, and those photos are not shared with Studio.

So technically my using an IBL that incorporates a photo from the Poser library is just as much a disqualification (or another listing as a paid item, however you wish to look at it) as using a character mesh that comes from that very same library.

In other words, if I do anything that accesses materials in the library — not particles, not lights in the mechanical sense, not simple manufactured colour, but content that goes anywhere beyond that needed for basic rendering — then I should be required to list them as paid items. Images, textures, meshes: if it's from Poser's library, it has to be listed.

I really would like a clarification on this. It's an important point, because it makes it clear how IBL in specific and how runtimes in general are used by these programs.

• Gloomy007Gloomy007 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Odaa said:
    Title: Wolf 359
    Rendered in: DS3A
    Postworked in: Paint.net, to change format from png to jpg

paid items:
    1). Morph Loader
    2). Atmospheric Cameras

neutral items: M4, Morphs++ (only used for facial expression on Sisko), backdrop to Mairy's crystal island set (retextured with a starfield made in Filterforge), cube primitive (also texture with filterforge), WERTS's no-longer-available headmorphs for Ben Sisko and Jean-Luc Picard

Continuity note: Sisko's appearance may be jarring to those of you who remember him with the shaved head and the goatee, but the flashbacks to the Battle of Wolf 359 in the DS9 pilot show Sisko wearing a TNG uniform, clean shaven and with hair.

Freebies:
    1). Georgehaze's Ultimate Shader Pack (used to create Locutus's leather/latex bodysuit and hardware): http://www.sharecg.com/v/27568/gallery/7/Material-and-Shader/Ultimate-Shader-Pack-for-DAZ-Studio-UPDATED_2011

2). Locutus eyepiece: http://www.sharecg.com/v/37915/View/11/Poser/M4-Eyepiece

3). PhilC Freebie, steampunk vacuum droid (reshaded and all but hose hidden): http://www.sharecg.com/v/46067/View/11/Poser/Steampunk-Star-Trooper

4). Starship: http://www.sharecg.com/v/56317/view/11/Poser/Archer-class-Scout-Ship

5). Nicholas for M4, in several parts (skin used on Locutus): http://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=unicornst

6). McCoy Hair (used on Sisko: http://www.sharecg.com/v/38477/Poser/McCoy-Hair

7): Reciecup Shy, link NSFW (skin used on Sisko with UV-swapping): http://rendercandy.com/index.php/cPath/25

8). Optitex dynamic Trek:TNG uniform (on Sisko): http://www.optitex-dynamiccloth.com/FreebieDownload14.php

9). 3D Explosion and Muzzleflash kit: http://www.sharecg.com/v/48515/View/11/Poser/3D-Explosion-and-Muzzleflash-Kit

Nice :)

I really like the atmosphere on this render.
    All links are good There is a PhilC freebie. you good to go :)

• edited December 1969

chohole said:
    please stop quibbling about silly things

With all due respect, this is not silly. You have rules. I gather you expect them to be adhered to.

Thank you.

edited December 1969

BWSman said:
    My entry for this month. I stepped out of my comfort zone & did this in Poser 7. No postwork

Title: "P42175"

Aiko 3*

Victoria 3

Stargate*

MALP*

Fober's The Hills*

Temple_01*

M4AT++ (held by V3) 10 rows from bottom left hand column

Messy Hair

A3 Bun Hair* Currently MIA

Dystopia City Blocks* Cloudy light set

Poses for V3 & A3 2nd from bottom

* requires registration
    ++ required freebie

Not Counted:

A3 SWAT & V3 SWAT uniforms by BVH (From the former PlanetVixens website)

Yay.. SG ..
    Great job BWSman, all links re good , there is required PhilC freebie, you good to go :)

edited December 1969

Little NAE from Alexa.

This was an halfhearted attempt at making "Thor" from SG-1. This was done the week after Genesis Evolution Morphs were released.

The title is: "Times are tough! Can I interest you in a slightly used hammer or helm?"

Kendall

Oh that's funny :) Do we pay cash or pay pal is acceptable ;)

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited December 1969

This is all pretty interesting...

I believe Sean brought up a good point, and it has made me rethink entering this competition.

I understand the dis-allowance of Ichiro as a freebie item (even though I never paid for it, but have a "free" copy of him; Came with "free" copy of Poser Debut with over 2 gigs of "free" content). Yes, it is a moot point, and some people have paid for products that they got for free that can not be used for the freebie contest. Other than listing them as one of the three paid for items.

But, here is the point I believe Sean is addressing that needs to be clarified, and without prejudice; Two pages back, Odaa listed as paid for items both "Morph Loader", and "Atmospheric Cameras".

How is that any different than Sean's question of the lights used?

Is it because the lights came with Poser as opposed to a purchased light set?

I actually sought out freebie light sets to complete my render for just this issue (two weeks ago), and also is the reason I am not using any of the default "primitives" that come with the software, but using freebie primitives I found.

Is this a negated issue, and anything found in the software by default allowed in the render under the freebie premise?

If so, wouldn't that bring us right back to square one with the "default" Ichiro (in a rendering software) figure usage?

I understand the difference between "paid for" third-party as opposed to first-party content, but wouldn't light sets included in rendering software also fall into this category?

Or, is it just a view regarding included third-party content that is known as a separate paid for third-party content?

Now, don't get all uppity, some of you, these are legitimate concerns I have in regards to a render that will be a last minute entry from me if I can finish. I have been working on it for two weeks, and it is nearly complete, but I now have reservations about what I allotted for paid for items and freebies.

I tried to create a render based on only freebies, and up to three paid for products using DSPro4.5 "free" on this crappy RAM limited laptop to try and give DSPro4.5 a solid workout. But, I have also heavily modified some freebies (morph targets, mesh alterations) via the "free" Hexagon with live bridge (it's like having Super-Deformers in DS).

Because of Odaa's paid for listings, now I am not sure if counting using Hex as a freebie, or Morph Loader Pro counts.

Please clarify, and advise on this. I don't think I will have time to make adjustments, and I just won't enter (but I'll still post render, and list freebie links for others if I get it done) the contest.

edited September 2012

Yes Sean, but DS also uses images which are DS specified, besides they generate an effect, and you really can say what image was used.
    As for the texture, sure you can use the texture on different object, but you would have to remake UV maps so it will fit.

You can use anything your program has to offer. DS shaders do not work in poser, poser materials do not work in DS, but as long as they are free they are acceptable.

DS has also a lot of options which are not usable in poser ( like morph follower, one of the things I really like in DS)

We can go on and on and decide that all we will use our programs and all they have to offer to the fullest, or we will discard all that one program can and other cant and stay with P4 style renders ( Oh some brycers would not like that)

Atmospheric cameras is a product in the DAZ marketplace. it does not come with DS.. as for morph loader I have no idea....
    I am sure one of ETO's will be a lot better imfomed ;)

Post edited by Gloomy007 on
    edited December 1969

By the way...

Great renders in here everyone.

Love the concepts you guys have come up with in regards to your show of choice.

I'm finding lighting is the most difficult aspect of this exercise. Krissy needs to be able to see all of the freebies listed, so I am finding trying to compromise artistic lighting with viewable freebies an interesting task.

Mine will probably come out flat and lifeless...

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    edited December 1969

In DS4Pro/Complete/Whatever It's Called, the Morph Loader is a built-in function; in DS3A it's an addon you have to buy. That's why I listed it on mine.

So far as I know, if say, you kitbash something in a non-render-oriented program to make it work better in your render, it just counts as whatever freebie you started with or whatever paid item you started with, and the kitbashing program doesn't count either way. I textured a couple of things in my render using Filterforge, a paid-for program, I do not believe that counts as a paid item but I made a note of it in the entry, so I would remember what I did, and so the judges could notify me if they felt it were out of bounds.

But, I just do entries around here, and don't know anything :P

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,072
    edited December 1969

"Silly" was probably not the precise word to use; but "quibbling" was.
    Both entries have been cleared. It's up to you keep them in or withdraw them.

This ls friendly competition for the fun of it. Please join in with that same spirit, everyone...no finger-pointing allowed or out comes the Club of Doom.

When I was in college back in the Stone Age, we used to play penny-ante poker for funsies. No keepsies. You couldn't lose any money just have fun, and a few people still got mad when they "lost".
    Somehow this was all supposed to apply to the situation at hand, but now my mind is wandering...is it time for pudding?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

hmmmmmmmmmmmph

lolcats_happyface.jpg
    486 x 497 - 48K
    edited December 1969

Priceless!

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

Krissy said:

Thank you very much for entring the challenge. It is really nice render, there is enough links, and PhilC freebie, but a lot of links going directly to the files. Also PhilC link.
    I will have to ask you to change the list, so they will dirct to the page, were possible.

Otherwise, all is fine and I really like the atmsophere of this render :) it seems simple, but you can just feel the tension :)

You're welcome :) had a lot of fun making this one

I've corrected the freebie links. Thre is only one I couldn't because it doesn't appear in the freebie list on the web site. You have to know the link to download it

@Sean : I used DS4 for the contest and I didn't mention that I also used Hexagon, Blender and Sculptris, to do morphs, adjusting items or mesh and so on. I use exclusively free tools, items and pictures to do the job. The spirit of the challenge is to set up a scene with freebies.
    It's just a friendly challenge to have some fun. No need to argue about the rules. It doesn't take a lot of time to modify a scene to cope with the rules and render again. And about the IBL in poser you just have to get a free one and be honest, but it's up to you as we can't guess it. It's just about having the good spirit

• edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    "Silly" was probably not the precise word to use; but "quibbling" was.

You know, I've long accepted that when I post an image in these fora, it's bound to be roundly ignored.

And now, when I ask a serious question about your rules and regulations, I can now count on derision from the admin and the Kool Kids Klub.

Thank you. It's good for me to know my place.

edited December 1969

(face palm)

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

Krissy said:
    Little NAE from Alexa.

This was an halfhearted attempt at making "Thor" from SG-1. This was done the week after Genesis Evolution Morphs were released.

The title is: "Times are tough! Can I interest you in a slightly used hammer or helm?"

Kendall

Asgard Express: Accepted Galaxy wide. Rumor has it that PayPal is working out a deal with the Asgardian Central Bank to accept it. Unfortunately, the stupid replicators keep eating the courier ships.

Kendall

• ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

I wonder if there should be an entirely different rules discussion thread to iron things out. Perhaps it's just me but it often feels like both sides have valid points while both sides also seem to be very sensitive and take things personally. In the topic at hand, it is a decent discussion in what a "base" is or isn't. The concept of the contest as a whole seems to be "discovery" of sorts. If you're new, things may seem daunting and expensive. HEY! Here's some stuff that's totally free and being used in an interesting way. The contest gives breathing room for a few items that cost money so clever use of things like morphs or paid lighting can come into play.

As far as base items, I'm not a mod but if it came with a program, even a paid one like Poser, I'd err on the side of leniency and allow it. At the same time, it would be subject to the same rules as Daz's weekly freebies in that it would have to be available in the version of the product available that month (no one-offs that have disappeared from availability) in order to fit the unspoken goal of being a good contest to help people who are new. I wonder if a few more mini-contests would be a fun way shake things up. For instance, a contest with a hard cap on the max number of items used at all or a semi return of the romantic vistas contest where you can't render any humanoid characters in the image. A lot of cool things come out of these contests so we should be looking for more ways to make these awesome rather than being argumentative and/or dismissive.

In other news, I hope to do at least one more entry for the contest if I find the time.

• BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Sorry, not to spoil the party any more than I have, but a question that now seems pertinent for my other entry.

It's using an IBL light, one that came with the software but works only in Poser. Do I consider that a paid item?

I don't think this was addressed properly. As long as the included content is NOT available separately from the program it was bundled with; it goes in a miscellaneous category (not a freebie & not a paid for item).

Therefore; your IBL lighting would fall under that category. This would also apply to any primitives created ins said program (sphere; cube; plane etc.)

As for the use of V4, M4 & Genesis; Genesis is included with the free version of DS. M4 & V4 were initially released for free & remained free until DAZ3D decided otherwise. The group running the challenges (behind the scene to make sure of continuity from month to month) decided; because of their popularity among the majority of Poser & DS users; to have those figures not count. We did not arbitrarily pick those figures & say those are excluded from the paid for items.

On a related note: is a remapped V2, for instance (or Dork, or Gen2 Stephanie) a freebie (the UV maps and/or CR2), a Paid Item (the converted-from figure) or both? Is there a distinction between a re-UV'd version (Bloodsong's remapped Stephaine gets you a UVS file) and an RTE/OBJaction-encoded version (the Gen3 remaps of P4M/P4F on Rendo) in this regard, when both need the purchased content for use?

The base figure counts as a paid for item; the remapped & encoded files are freebies if you have a valid link.

DaremoK3 said:
    This is all pretty interesting...

I believe Sean brought up a good point, and it has made me rethink entering this competition.

I understand the dis-allowance of Ichiro as a freebie item (even though I never paid for it, but have a "free" copy of him; Came with "free" copy of Poser Debut with over 2 gigs of "free" content). Yes, it is a moot point, and some people have paid for products that they got for free that can not be used for the freebie contest. Other than listing them as one of the three paid for items.

But, here is the point I believe Sean is addressing that needs to be clarified, and without prejudice; Two pages back, Odaa listed as paid for items both "Morph Loader", and "Atmospheric Cameras".

How is that any different than Sean's question of the lights used?

Is it because the lights came with Poser as opposed to a purchased light set?

I actually sought out freebie light sets to complete my render for just this issue (two weeks ago), and also is the reason I am not using any of the default "primitives" that come with the software, but using freebie primitives I found.

Is this a negated issue, and anything found in the software by default allowed in the render under the freebie premise?

This has be answered above

If so, wouldn't that bring us right back to square one with the "default" Ichiro (in a rendering software) figure usage?

I understand the difference between "paid for" third-party as opposed to first-party content, but wouldn't light sets included in rendering software also fall into this category?

Or, is it just a view regarding included third-party content that is known as a separate paid for third-party content?

Yes it was 3rd-party content that was bundled with the software that is also available for pay elsewhere (in this specific example at RDNA).

Now, don't get all uppity, some of you, these are legitimate concerns I have in regards to a render that will be a last minute entry from me if I can finish. I have been working on it for two weeks, and it is nearly complete, but I now have reservations about what I allotted for paid for items and freebies. I tried to create a render based on only freebies, and up to three paid for products using DSPro4.5 "free" on this crappy RAM limited laptop to try and give DSPro4.5 a solid workout. But, I have also heavily modified some freebies (morph targets, mesh alterations) via the "free" Hexagon with live bridge (it's like having Super-Deformers in DS). Because of Odaa's paid for listings, now I am not sure if counting using Hex as a freebie, or Morph Loader Pro counts. Please clarify, and advise on this. I don't think I will have time to make adjustments, and I just won't enter (but I'll still post render, and list freebie links for others if I get it done) the contest. Because Hex & DS4.5 Pro are still free & will be until the end of the month; those items do not need to be counted in the paid for category. Any custom morphs don't really need to be counted unless you plan to release it as a freebie. Otherwise just make a note that you used a custom morph and it falls into the misc. category (this includes freebies used that are no longer available or the link is temporarily not working such as the PA Christmas Giveaway Here @ DAZ3D; limited release freebies (Christmas freebies only available at that time). I;m fairly certain that music2u4u & the other members of the organizing group will agree with what I have stated above.
    edited December 1969

Thank you BWSman, I think I'm square now.

Not to worry about freebie links. I created a special September Freebies Challenge content directory, and downloaded everything I am using "fresh" for the past two weeks.

I have more than the required eight, and I hope the more the merrier is a good sentiment. I was more worried about crossing the no more than three paid for items threshold.

Now, if I can just get it done. Back to work...

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,407
    edited December 1969

Yeah, I've got another piece I want to enter, but can't get the bloody thing to render without it force quitting Daz. Two of the figures used are completely custom made (and free), and originally designed for Poser, but the creator of them said they should work in Daz, but they both are causing the program to quit every time I try and render it. They're integral to the piece, and cannot be done without, so removing them is not really an option.

• shaaeliashaaelia Posts: 613
    edited December 1969

Tramp, are you on a window's machine?

edited December 1969

BWSman thank you very much for all the clarifications.
    And everyone please refer to the first page with rules and freebie challenger rules sticky. if anything is not clear, feel free to ask, but remember. Our competition is friendly, totally held by volounteers, not affiliated with any company and the idea is not to make a super render with loads of effects, but to showcase the great freebies availible in our world made by talented creators.
    Tramp what figures are you using? if we will put our minds together maybe we will find the solution :)

• music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    hmmmmmmmmmmmph

Cho...you've done something with your hair!

:lol:

lolcats_happyface.jpg
    486 x 497 - 48K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    chohole said:
    hmmmmmmmmmmmph

Cho...you've done something with your hair!

:lol:

Yeah was having a bad hair day

Nc6FEr0Tu0S-LuLsL6LFjQ2.jpg
    500 x 322 - 30K
  • OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    edited December 1969

DaremoK3 said:
    By the way...

Great renders in here everyone.

Love the concepts you guys have come up with in regards to your show of choice.

I'm finding lighting is the most difficult aspect of this exercise. Krissy needs to be able to see all of the freebies listed, so I am finding trying to compromise artistic lighting with viewable freebies an interesting task.

Mine will probably come out flat and lifeless...

Try setting a spotlight or distant light overhead with shadows, colored to taste, a spotlight in the same location as your camera, and a third light off to one side (30-45 degree angle to camera/spotlight 1) colored differently from the other two. If your computer has trouble with the DS4 program, don't use Uber lights.

edited December 1969

Krissy said:
    Little NAE from Alexa.

Kendall

Asgard Express: Accepted Galaxy wide. Rumor has it that PayPal is working out a deal with the Asgardian Central Bank to accept it. Unfortunately, the stupid replicators keep eating the courier ships.

Kendall

I will gladly get secured service :)

edited December 1969

[

You're welcome :) had a lot of fun making this one

I've corrected the freebie links. Thre is only one I couldn't because it doesn't appear in the freebie list on the web site. You have to know the link to download it

Thank you very much for understanding :D
    All checked you good to go :)

Oh and I saw on one of the sites the mistery machine van, and I ask myself why is i there availible, and noone grabbed it and used it :P :P :P

And my last call for judges... By now I will beg .. anyone wants to judge?? I will bake you a cake ( thou last cackes I baked turned out a bit liquidy, still they were tasty .. I thin that was jepeerz catapult that scared them :P:P:P)

I also sent out the gifts to the entrants, but just to be sure if anyone entered and got entry approved but did got the links please send me a PM :)

So going now to update the gallery :)

• DorseylandDorseyland Posts: 724
    edited December 1969

Epic struggle. I had a whole pile of TV series to cover. Technology scoffed. This'll have to do ...

SOMETHING LIKE THAT '70s SHOW

Scary Basement by Mr Sparky at Poser Direct (17th down)
    http://www.poserdirect.com/freebie.html

Couch & table from a set by Guderun, no longer on Sharecg, probably cause she made a better one:
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/36890/gallery/11/Poser/Modern-Living-Room-Fur

Poser Crack from Shar3d (Pages of Stuff 4, 2nd row on the right)
    http://www.shar3d.com/

Brownies by Skylab at Sharecg (reg req)
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/41588/View/11/Poser/Plate-of-brownies

Pizza by EdgeVerse at Sharecg
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/38419/gallery/11/Poser/Pizza-w.-Pizza-Box

HIRO 3
    http://download.cnet.com/Poser-DAZStudio-3D-Models-Pack/3000-6677_4-10579249.html

Bert head morph from Bert & Beatrix by kimber at Sharecg (reg req)
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/25647/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/Bert-Beatrix-for-H3/A3

Etienne clothes by Vintageadzan at Sharecg (reg req)
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/36244/gallery/11/Poser/etienne

Top Hat by PhilC (13th row from the bottom, on the left)
    http://www.philc.net/freestuff_archive.php

DAVID on left

M4 Kirk Hair by Mylochka at Sharecg (reg req)
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/44951/gallery/11/Poser/Kirk-Hair-for-M4

LUKE

Lance (mat) by AgathaPaige at Sharecg (reg req)
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/27048/View/11/Poser/Lance-for-DAZ3D-Young-Teen-Luke-3

Luke Jeans by Mada at Faeriedreams (top row on the right)
    http://www.faeriedreams.com/store/index.php?main_page=page_3&zenid=b9a91cbc0dc72218fff9bc56cb8280f2

LQ G2 Male Hair from Qraffx
    http://qraffx.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_18&products_id=1369

DAVID on right

Kyler (mat) by BrokenWings at Sharecg (reg req)
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/25959/gallery/11/Poser/Kyler-for-David-3

Concrete Extant clothes by Vintageadzan at Sharecg (reg req)
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/36243/View/11/Poser/concrete-extant

Meronym 1484 shoes by Vintageadzan at Sharecg (reg req)
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/40423/gallery/11/Poser/Meronym1484

M4 Short Dreads by SickleYield at Sharecg (reg req)
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/36385/Poser/M4-Short-Dreads-Hair

M2 Military Dogtag by Zippo at Lab108 (10th down)
    http://lab108.x0.com/lab108/inst.html

ALSO USED

Fifties Dinette Set (chair, glasses), a DAZ freebie from 2010

Microwave by web_wizard at Renderosity, where I'm not allowed

1950 Refrigerator & Stove by Frightings, whose site has disappeared, and they're not on Sharecg either with the items by his alter ego Midnightrider

Arick M3 mat by liquidanime, vanished from Sharecg

Alyson Clothing (shirt) I had attributed to "afterworldz", but can't find it now

70sShow.jpg
    1200 x 809 - 150K
  • DorseylandDorseyland Posts: 724
    edited December 1969

KRISSY, I will help Rob with the judging. I was just waiting for you to beg,

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175
    edited December 1969

Epic struggle. I had a whole pile of TV series to cover. Technology scoffed. This'll have to do ...

SOMETHING LIKE THAT '70s SHOW

http://www.daz3d.com/index.php?&ACT=50&fid=41&aid=22842_KJKV7TBuXeU6tCp02OEy&thumb=1&board_id=1

Cool! I loved that show!

Dana