Morphing Dungeon/Castle Type Room/Caverns For Poser (and DS...ish)*

Comments

• MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,955

Thank You, it looks great. I have downloaded it and hoping to use it.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,958

I will point out another kludge for Iray is:

Arrange dungeon/cavern how you want it.

Export as Obj

UV Map using UVMapper

Import it back

I'm working on an example that looks cool. There is, of course, seam issues, but that's just the breaks for UV Mapping.

Hey, that didn't come out half bad...

http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/Slug-Caverns-587426372

I did what I described in previous post.

The key was using a seamlessly tiling texture (I made one in FilterForge) and then making sure the tiling was sufficiently dense and not going overboard with the displacement range.

The seams are still there, I can just make out one of them, but it's very subtle.

• 3dcheapskate3dcheapskate Posts: 2,719
    edited January 2016

I've been doing a bit of browsing related to roofs/ceilings and supporting columns and I've learnt a bunch of new words - my favourites so far are dentil, modillion, and (best of all) squinch*. I'll wager that the emiritus Professors Of Stylagalmaics from the Universities of Gabilgathol and Tumunzahar love using those words !

*nothing to do with the facial expression of the same name ... that', by contrast, is just a stupid made-up word ! cheeky

Post edited by 3dcheapskate on

HAHA.

I picked up Shades of Life, finally, and it is indeed as awesome as I suspected.

http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/Slug-Caverns-ShadesofLife-587654198

Amazing :) Still haven't tried it, I was hoping that I will finish one render yesterday but it seems it will take longer :/

edited January 2016

Nicely done Will - good to see that there are readily available shaders for DS/3Delight that work quite well

P.S. that slimy green one (end of previous page) made me thing of numskulls in living in somebody's nose - yeeeuuch!

edited February 2016

Some Progress On The Morphing Column

The caverns were actually a bit of an accident - I was working on a vaulted roof as mentioned in an earlier post and I just thought it'd be fun to vault the floor too! (and I've just realized that the morphs included with the caverns won't let you create a flat floorlike that picture - the 'FlattenFloor' morphs do something rather different) Anyway, back on track now - a single morphing column. The version I'mcurrently playing with (2306 vertices/2304 faces) loads into the scene as a flat roof and a flat floor, and the column sprouts from them in a stalagmite/stalactite fashion, as Buster's demonstrating in the attached image. The column's in three parts with separating rings. The plan is for each part (base, midsection,and top) to have a selection of cross-section morphs (see images attached to the earlier post).

This bit is just a sort of proof of principle that the stalagmite/stalactite approach works. Lots more work to do, probably including several back-to-square-one reworks of the basic mesh. But I'm on a bit of a roll at the moment...

Dwarven Rock Garden.jpg
    1358 x 431 - 63K
    edited May 2016

Room Prop (Release 2) - Multiple Material Zones Version

As offered in an earlier post.

No ShareCG/Renderosity upload, just a ZIP file attached to this post (the 'Attach a file' worked, so I assume it's okay to upload ZIPs - if not then there should've been some info next to the 'Attach a file' button, cos I'm not searching through the forums to find what sort of files are okay to upload! ;o) )

The (hopefully) attached ZIP file Dungeon Room R2M.zip* contains just two files - Dungeon Room R2M.pp2 (the Poser prop) and Dungeon Room R2M.png (the icon). Just drop them in the same Poser props folder as the original dungeon room.

Material zones are just plain diffuse colours by default - Floor (red), Walls (green), Ceiling (cyan), Columns (blue), StepsTreads (magenta) and StepRisers (yellow).

Other than the multiple material zones it's exactly the same as the Dungeon Room R2 prop - all the same morphs.

*scanned with and found clean by McAfee, Bitdefender, SpybotS+D, and Malwarebytes. The file's been renamed as 'b3035b608fd3efeb554e13287df0c7.zip' by the upload process - I've downloaded and scanned it again and it's fine. Paranoid? Me?  ;o)

MD5 = 09c05d803f99331ba29e8eb5a0250ccf *Dungeon Room R2M.zip

SHA256 = e2d16f98ee4c6cb7ea8566d585022452a4f7ff4e697eb114e51bb912bd2ae320 *Dungeon Room R2M.zip

zip
    zip
    Dungeon Room R2M.zip

I will have to try this :) Need to start working on some picture, I have been a bit busy lately. I am hoping to start working with that cavern tomorrow, and then I probably will try this too.

Thank You very much, it is working very good and now I can add shaders too :) awesome thing :D

edited February 2016

Ok here it goes :) I think it is a good start, I am hoping that it will be able to take shaders in the future like that Room Prop V2

1.jpg
    1076 x 1076 - 849K
    Post edited by MilosGulan on
  • Ok here it goes :) I think it is a good start, I am hoping that it will be able to take shaders in the future like that Room Prop V2

That looks wonderfully surreal - is it just the caverns prop or have you used a background image too? I particularly like the look of the 'background' either side of the main central column.

If it's just the prop then I'm amazed ! What material did you use?

• Another idea's just sprouted (I think the roots have been gradually worming their way into my conciousness since I started thinking about morphing columns) - how about a morphing forest?  Not the complicated, twiddly, leafy part of it, I'm thinking more of the lower thick tree-trunky part. The stuff I've been playing with a few posts back  for the morphing column might adapt nicely to this. No test mesh yet,just making a note of the idea so I don' t forget. Over the past week I've got distracted in several different directions and I've lost my focus a bit.

This is the thing I have used http://www.sharecg.com/v/83765/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/HD-Infinite-Rock. It really looks good and can make caves with very nice shader. Forest idea sounds good :) though I was thinking about something like morphing interior of house (for fantasy style render or medieval :)) but probably would be hard to make :) or maybe there is already something like that. I better try searching for it. Anyway cool creations, I am hoping to learn how to do it, I actualy should try creating something too, feels like I should :).

edited February 2016

This is the thing I have used http://www.sharecg.com/v/83765/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/HD-Infinite-Rock. It really looks good and can make caves with very nice shader...

Those three cave morphs do look nice, and it's got a nice dense mesh (just under 40,000 vertices) so using Iray shaders with displacement should work well if you feel the need - although with the included shaders it's not really necessary.

P.S. My 'caverns' don't look so good beside it...  :(  LOL

Everything has it's place. ;)

Yes they do look very good ;) I doubt that my picture would look better without them, and I really like them a lot. They are actualy very useful prop (both cavern and dungeon), maybe they are not in HD but they realy have their place there, beside I am sure it would take me lot more time to make things like that. Now I am itching to have forest too beside them. I will try to make some of my own props but for now I am still just mostly playing with rendering. Well one of these day I also have to start working with that weapon script too, I am hoping soon, it is on my list to do things :)

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,418
    edited February 2016

3dcheapskate, thank you VERY much for the dungeons and the cavern!! They are just phantastic. You won't believe what I made from the dungeon! Did you know that this can be a nice bazaar? Or a villa?  A disco, a bar etc.?

@Will: If you mean 'Shades of Life' by Dimension Theory - it works on the dungeons and caverns, if you choose the DT Projection. AoA's 'Rock' shaders are excellent, too! Thanks for the 'Slime Cavern'!

Post edited by caravelle on
    edited February 2016

Caravelle: Yeah, I had fun playing with that. ;)

Between Shades of Life and my WTP shaders, 3DL and Iray that ignores UV maps works. ;)

(Although having played with them, I don't think the brick Shades of Life work great in a dungeon, because it looks very... weird. You're right about AoA...)

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • caravelle said:

3dcheapskate, thank you VERY much for the dungeons and the cavern!! They are just phantastic. You won't believe what I made from the dungeon! Did you know that this can be a nice bazaar? Or a villa?  A disco, a bar etc.?

@Will: If you mean 'Shades of Life' by Dimension Theory - it works on the dungeons and caverns, if you choose the DT Projection. AoA's 'Rock' shaders are excellent, too! Thanks for the 'Slime Cavern'!

I'm intrigued - I'd be interested to see what you did with them. (P.S. Are you using Poser or DAZ Studio or both?)

I'm intrigued - I'd be interested to see what you did with them. (P.S. Are you using Poser or DAZ Studio or both?)

Hi Pete,

sorry for answering so late, but the last week has been extremely busy. I tried to send you a PM, but there seems to be a problem with my message folder. Just sent a help request.

Thanks for your interest in my posting! Yes, I am a big fan of your products. E.g. your World Ball is indispensable for me. I don't publish my works very often. I am planning to open a gallery or whatever they call it at DA, but until now didn't find (or take) the time to do it. By the end of the year I will have more time for this.

Today I send you two pics: The first I made with your dungeon (first version). I am working with DS only, so I can't use the .obj morphs you made, but the dungeon and it's second version leave nothing to be desired! The title of the picture, 'Messalina's Spa', refers to the Roman Empress Messalina, Emperor Claudius' immoral consort. It's a WIP, I am planning to add some people having a (normal, not excessive ;-)) party there. I made the stone surfaces with DLD's Marble shader (or was it the Polished Stone? I don't remember).

The second picture, 'The last Tyrannosaurus' shows, of course, your cavern. I applied AoA's Rock shader; just the base, but I think it makes a nice surface.

Thank you very much again for your generous and ingenious freebies, and I hope you enjoy the pics!

Messalina's Spa.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 908K
    Messalina's Spa.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 908K

...and here is the cavern:

The last Tyrannosaurus.jpg
    1464 x 863 - 505K

Hmmm.. the pics look much darker than the original files... sad

• mCasualmCasual Posts: 4,605

note that using my free scripts mcjBoxUV or mcjPlanarUV or mcjsphericaluv or mcjcylindricaluv

you can re-UV-map ( or UV-map) props/objects in their morphed state

https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts4

leoparddicabrio.jpg
    1920 x 1024 - 2M

mcasual, that's great news; thank you very much!!!

caravelle: now I see what you meant - those curtained alcoves are taking the room in a completely unexpected (to me) direction, but such a wonderful idea! Also like the way the you used the same material on the star pool and the room. And your cavern looks far better than anything I've done with them - I think it's a combination of the lighting and AoA's shader?  By the way, I worked out how to apply the morphs in DAZ Studio back on 29th January in this post on page 1 - just have to remember to set "Preset" to "Poser".

Casual: Love the leopardskin chateau !  :D

Thanks to the power of iray decals, I'm finding it pretty easy to place textures on the caverns. (Just create a decal, move it up to the middle of the place, set scale big, like 5000%, and fiddle with the rest)

Underdark.png
    1080 x 1080 - 2M

Looks great :)

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914
    edited June 2016

Thanks to the power of iray decals, I'm finding it pretty easy to place textures on the caverns. (Just create a decal, move it up to the middle of the place, set scale big, like 5000%, and fiddle with the rest)

I know this is a bit of an older topic, but I just recently wanted to use this in a scene but it seems no matter what I do, I can't get texture shading to show up :(

I'm using Iray and Nobiax free shader pack to attempt to give it a nice rock texture, but all I can seem to get is flat grey :(

I've tried exporting and reimporting the cavern as an object, I tried sending it to Hex and reassigning the UV mapping, I've tried applying the shdaer to a geoshell but nothing is working.

*edit*

Forgot to ask, so how exactly did you get a texture to show up? I see you mentioned Iray decals, but I don't know what that is.

Post edited by kaotkbliss on