Autodesk Fusion 360 Free for hobbyists

Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,636
edited May 2016 in Freebies

I don't know if this has been mentioned before; but evidently Autodesk is making Fusion 360 available free for hobbyists. Just download the trial then register for the license (1 year renewable)

Scroll about half way down and see the right hand block: http://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/overview

Post edited by Charlie Judge on

Comments

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited May 2016

I'd like to throw in that it's also legal to use it for commercial purposes as long as projects created with it generate less than $100,000 usd/year revenue.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,955

Thank You, and thanks for additional info, I better get it.

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,697
    Vaskania said:

I'd like to throw in that it's also legal to use it for commercial purposes as long as projects created with it generate less than $100,000 usd/year revenue.

Hey, now!  Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you for finding that!  My Student License on AutoCAD/Inventor/Et c. is complete NCU, a waste of time except for the learning-tools themselves...

• mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,506
    Vaskania said:

Awesome. I wonder if it does fluid mechanics as well...

• Sky77Sky77 Posts: 820
    edited May 2016

Awesome!  Thank you for the heads up!   Now I can go shopping for a 3D printer!  :)

Post edited by Sky77 on

Awesome!  Thank you for the heads up!   Now I can go shopping for a 3D printer!  :)

The cost of sending it to a 3rd party is probably cheaper than buying a 3D printer, if you're only doing a few figures at a time :) Industrial printers also have waaaay higher resolution than most home-use ones.

• hphoenixhphoenix Posts: 1,335

If you aren't afraid of putting it together yourself, you can order kits from china CHEAP.  Same printer kits (RepRap, Rostock, etc.) but a LOT cheaper.  As in 'one-third' the price, for the same hardware.

• SemicharmSemicharm Posts: 375

WOOT! That's awesome. For the things I'd like to make, I found CAD to be soooooo much easier than "artistic" modelers. Haven't had decent CAD app since college.

edited May 2016

mtl1 said:

The cost of sending it to a 3rd party is probably cheaper than buying a 3D printer, if you're only doing a few figures at a time :) Industrial printers also have waaaay higher resolution than most home-use ones.

Thanks for the tip.  That's probably not a bad idea to start out.  I've got a lot to learn anyway!

Post edited by Sky77 on
    edited May 2016
    hphoenix said:

If you aren't afraid of putting it together yourself, you can order kits from china CHEAP.  Same printer kits (RepRap, Rostock, etc.) but a LOT cheaper.  As in 'one-third' the price, for the same hardware.

Now that might be worth trying.  Though, if a print comes out funny looking, it'll be hard to tell if it was due to printer or more likely the person who built it!  wink

Any reputable sites or dealers that you've seen?

Post edited by Sky77 on
    hphoenix said:

Now that might be worth trying.  Though, if a print comes out funny looking, it'll be hard to tell if it was due to printer or more likely the person who built it!  wink

Just a word of caution before ordering from Chinese websites: the reason why the prices are so cheap is because many products come with little to no QA. That is, there is no guarantee that the product you purchased is actually of the quality that you expect. *Functionally* they may work, but parameters and specifications will be all over the place.

There are, of course, exceptions to this rule but you may have to dig a little further.

Send me a PM and I can direct you to some places...

• hphoenixhphoenix Posts: 1,335
    hphoenix said:

Lots.  Most sell through AliExpress, but there's plenty of variation there.  And shipping does take a few weeks.  Make sure you look at feedback/orders records and such for any seller you are looking at buying from (I wouldn't recommend buying from anyone on there with less than 100 orders and a positive feedback of less than 97%).  And even if the kit is of lower quality, it is a good way to get some experience with 3D printing (and kit assembly!) BEFORE spending a lot on a better one.  Also, make sure you are in fact getting what's pictured (read the ad thoroughly) since some of the sellers can be a bit deceptive with the product images.....  Something like this is a good deal for a beginner:  http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2015-Guaranteed-100-DIY-sunhokey-prusa-i3-3d-printer-2-rolls-filament-SD-card-free/1502993_32379090327.html ;

Things to look for:  Heated Bed (sometimes it's an upcharge, but not a lot), Auto-levelling (so you don't break nozzles/beds, also sometimes a small upcharge), free shipping

As a beginner, you don't need to spend extra for double or triple nozzles, aluminum frames (though nice if you can afford the extra price), full shrouds, or extra-large bed sizes.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,306
    edited May 2016

Thanks for the heads up, Charlie Judge and Vaskania.

This is the most intuitive modelling program, I have ever approached - and it has sculpting as well.

Below is a quick Bryce render of the shape I created in Fusion 360, just for testing its different tools.

Stand001v03pic25.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 159K
    Post edited by Artini on
    hphoenix said:
    hphoenix said:

Lots.  Most sell through AliExpress, but there's plenty of variation there.  And shipping does take a few weeks.  Make sure you look at feedback/orders records and such for any seller you are looking at buying from (I wouldn't recommend buying from anyone on there with less than 100 orders and a positive feedback of less than 97%).  And even if the kit is of lower quality, it is a good way to get some experience with 3D printing (and kit assembly!) BEFORE spending a lot on a better one.  Also, make sure you are in fact getting what's pictured (read the ad thoroughly) since some of the sellers can be a bit deceptive with the product images.....  Something like this is a good deal for a beginner:  http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2015-Guaranteed-100-DIY-sunhokey-prusa-i3-3d-printer-2-rolls-filament-SD-card-free/1502993_32379090327.html ;

Things to look for:  Heated Bed (sometimes it's an upcharge, but not a lot), Auto-levelling (so you don't break nozzles/beds, also sometimes a small upcharge), free shipping

As a beginner, you don't need to spend extra for double or triple nozzles, aluminum frames (though nice if you can afford the extra price), full shrouds, or extra-large bed sizes.

@mtl1 and @hphoenix

Thanks for the information and the recommendations!

Artini said:

This is the most intuitive modelling program, I have ever approached - and it has sculpting as well.

Below is a quick Bryce render of the shape I created in Fusion 360, just for testing its different tools.

what format did you use to export to Bryce?

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167

I don't know if this has been mentioned before; but evidently Autodesk is making Fusion 360 available free for hobbyists. Just download the trial then register for the license (1 year renewable)

Scroll about half way down and see the right hand block: http://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/overview

it's free for 3 years, which is a lot of time but it still has a clock ticking to when it wont be free.

Screen Shot 2016-06-01 at 9.32.41 AM.png
    260 x 87 - 19K
  • Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,636
    edited June 2016

it's free for 3 years, which is a lot of time but it still has a clock ticking to when it wont be free.

That is the student license. There is also a "Startup and Hobbyist" license which is valid for one year but as I understand it is renewable.

Edit to add screenshot

Fusion Licensing.jpg
    505 x 570 - 42K
    Post edited by Charlie Judge on

About that:  how do I switch the NCU "Student" license on my account to a "Startup and Hobbyist" license?

About that:  how do I switch the NCU "Student" license on my account to a "Startup and Hobbyist" license?

I don't really know but you might try asking on the Autodesk forums: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360/ct-p/1234 or contact Autodesk.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116

I installed it, and found it was already covered in the existing license/login.  Unless I'm missing something here.

I even tried uninstalling EVERYTHING Autodesk except the content packs and then reinstalled Fusion clean:  still recognized the same user account and no prompts to enter serial numbers.

I installed it, and found it was already covered in the existing license/login.  Unless I'm missing something here.

I even tried uninstalling EVERYTHING Autodesk except the content packs and then reinstalled Fusion clean:  still recognized the same user account and no prompts to enter serial numbers.

I'm not sure if will help solve your problem but here is how to do a clean uninstall of Fusion 360:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-of-Autodesk-Fusion-360.html

Manual deletion of the appropriate  username/appdata files is evidently required in addition to uninstalling the program.

Also you could check under the Help menu to see if there is any option for changing the registration.

edited June 2016

Thank you!

I had to set up a new Autodesk account (to preventlicense crossover), but it worked!

Post edited by Eustace Scrubb on
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,164

Its DRM cloud base software.  No thanks. even if it is free , I'll stick with my autodesk student suite

Artini said:

what format did you use to export to Bryce?

From Fusion 360 I exported the model as .stl, and then opened in Blender and saved as .obj

Then you can open it in Bryce, Daz Studio, Poser and so on.

If you choose units in Fusion 360 as cm, then you will get one to one scale in Daz Studio and Bryce.

It will be really pity, if this startup licence is only valid for one year. I've finally found the modeller, which is really easy to use.
    These are the Terms Of Service listed at:
    http://www.autodesk.com/company/legal-notices-trademarks/terms-of-service-autodesk360-web-services/autodesk-web-services-entitlements
    Startup:If your entitlements have been designated as “Startup, ” You may use the service if You are (i) a company generating less than $100,000 (or equivalent in other currency) per year working on a project or product that is not yet commercially available, (ii) an individual working on a project or product that is not yet commercially available and is generating less than $100,000 (or equivalent in other currency) per year, or (iii) an individual using the service on a personal basis that is not for commercial, professional or for-profit use. The term for Your Startup use will commence on the date access is granted and will end on the earlier of (a) one (1) year from the date of access; (b) the date where the company or product or project generates more than $100,000 per year, or (c) the date of notification to You from Autodesk (which may be provided (1) via email to the registered email address or (2) via notice in the administrator site or account of Your site or account, or (3) via any other manner deemed reasonable by Autodesk which involves specific notification to You (including, for example, by in-service notification functionality)).
    What does it really mean?

edited June 2016

Simple object made in Fusion 360, exported as .stl, converted to .obj in Blender and rendered in Daz Studio with iray.

Arabella 7 is just for scale comparison.

Strange01pic02Fusion.jpg
    1389 x 1157 - 388K
    Strange01pic02.jpg
    800 x 1024 - 123K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    Ivy said:

Its DRM cloud base software.  No thanks. even if it is free , I'll stick with my autodesk student suite

Enough to stop me going to look.

• mCasualmCasual Posts: 4,605
    edited June 2016

thanks!

i exported my first """model""" in STL format,

probably should not have chosen the highest resolution/tessellation it came out as 38000 facets

then i imported it in Blender ( so far, the 6 or 7 times i imported STL things in Blender it always went well )

then i exported as an obj

then imported the obj in Daz Studio

then used my mcjBoxUV script to add a workable UV map

rendered in iRay with a normal map

thatsaboudit.png
    800 x 800 - 1M
    Post edited by mCasual on
    edited June 2016
    mCasual said:

thanks!

i exported my first """model""" in STL format,

probably should not have chosen the highest resolution/tessellation it came out as 38000 facets

then i imported it in Blender ( so far, the 6 or 7 times i imported STL things in Blender it always went well )

then i exported as an obj

then imported the obj in Daz Studio

then used my mcjBoxUV script to add a workable UV map

rendered in iRay with a normal map

Looks great. Wish there would be the way to automatically UV unwrap any shape.

I always use "Low" settings when save as STL. It is pretty easy to add more polygons with subdivide in Daz Studio.

Post edited by Artini on