Some free items for your aircraft scenes!

chrisschellchrisschell Posts: 267
edited December 2016 in Freebies

Hi all! Been a long long time since I posted anything here (I left the forums quite some time back for reasons I'll not go into here) but I thought I'd share some recent free items I've made for use in your Aircraft scenes...

1) Vietnam Era Aircraft Towing Tractor (Spotting Dolly)

On-board Aircraft Carriers, aircraft are moved around the flight deck and hangars with a tug, commonly known as a “Spotting Dolly”. Here I’ve modeled an older version of the aircraft tug for the late 50’s/early 60’s era, for use with your jet aircraft scenes!

Features:

The tug has a fully detailed drivers position, undercarriage, and engine compartment. The wheels can spin and be turned with the steering wheel (via ERC dials), the hood opens, and the tow bar can be posed as well.

Moving parts include wheels, steering wheel, engine hood, aircraft tow bar, gas pedal, brake pedal and clutch pedal.

ERC dials for ease of use including basic movements such as driving and steering!

Comes with a smart-parented low poly Driver Dummy (unrigged and not pose-able) that can be placed in the vehicle for use in scenes where a fully clothed figure wouldn't be necessary. This dummy figure will automatically parent in place when loaded.

Also includes updated materials and textures with bump maps.

The Aircraft Towing Tractor should be a useful addition to any 60's Era aircraft scene!

Find it here... http://www.schells.ca/aircraft-tractor

AircraftTractor1.jpg
600 x 600 - 76K
AircraftTractor2.jpg
600 x 600 - 221K
AircraftTractor3.jpg
600 x 600 - 211K
AircraftTractor4.jpg
600 x 600 - 223K
Post edited by chrisschell on

Comments

• 2) Vietnam Era Lighting Cart

The NF-2 Lighting Unit is used by the US Military, both on land and at sea, to provide lighting for maintenance and night-time aircraft operations. It is also used on Commercial Air Fields for this same purpose.

Features:

The cart is fully detailed with spinning wheels, lights that swivel, and an opening panel to grant access to the controls for the unit.

Conforms to my free Navy Aircraft Towing Tractor, or can be used on its own for your Aircraft Carrier or Air Field scenes.

Moving parts include wheels, access panel, and lights.

ERC dials for ease of use!

The Navy Lighting Unit should be a useful addition to any 60's Era aircraft scene!

Find it here... http://www.schells.ca/lighting-cart

NF2LightingUnit1.jpg
    600 x 600 - 83K
    NF2LightingUnit2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 213K
    NF2LightingUnit3.jpg
    600 x 600 - 172K
    NF2LightingUnit4.jpg
    600 x 600 - 207K
  • 3) Vietnam Era Nitrogen Charge Cart

Used by the US Military, the NAN-2 Nitrogen Cart allows maintenance crews to recharge the nitrogen used in various aircraft systems. Similar carts are also used in the civilian aircraft industry for this same purpose.

Features:

The cart is fully detailed and conforms to my free Navy Aircraft Towing Tractor, or can be used on its own for your Aircraft Carrier or Air Field scenes.

The Navy Nitrogen Cart should be a useful addition to any 60's Era aircraft scene!

Find it here... http://www.schells.ca/nitrogen-cart

NAN2NitrogenUnit1.jpg
    600 x 600 - 88K
    NAN2NitrogenUnit2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 212K
    NAN2NitrogenUnit3.jpg
    600 x 600 - 169K
    NAN2NitrogenUnit4.jpg
    600 x 600 - 218K
  • SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

Thanks, Chris. Very generous of you as always! Best of the season to you and yours!

• ConnaticConnatic Posts: 279

Thank you!  These are incredible.

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

These look real good excellent, thank you!

• chrisschellchrisschell Posts: 267
    edited December 2016

Thanks for the compliments folks, you're all very welcome! Merry Christmas, happy holidays and all the best for the holiday season! :)

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Another fine group of items that are seldom done but absolutely needed. 

It looks a bit strange with a bunch of fighter jets and no support gear...now we've got the support vehicles.  Thanks,. Chris.

• Awesome gifts from you, very cool vehicles. :) Happy Holidays.

edited December 2016

I realized a while back that there was a lack of items to support the aircraft everyone was using... a few years back I'd done a freebie Modern Flight Helmet, and WW2 and Modern Pilot Dummies just to make scene set up easier (rather than having to set up and cloth figures just to have pilots in the aircraft)... I figured it was about time to do something about the lack of support equipment as well. I have a couple more in the works, I'm just working on an Aircraft Start Cart (the modelling and mapping are done but I haven't finished textures or rigging yet), and will be doing a Weapons Cart as well when I have the chance. :)

Lack of support items is one reason most of the aircraft renders I do are 'in flight' renders.

edited December 2016

Yes... that's why I mostly do "in flight" renders as well... though for a couple of my renders I cobbled together support gear as best I was able by repurposing other items. With these now, that cobbling togther/repurposing won't be as necessary... just retexture as needed (templates are included) and go! :)

• Thank you very much!

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,667

Thanks for your most generious offer and Happy Holidays to you and yours!!!

• sdorsey said:

Thank you very much!

You're welcome!

Thanks for your most generious offer and Happy Holidays to you and yours!!!

You're welcome and Happy Holidays to you as well!

• 4) Vietnam Era Aircraft Start Cart

A standard feature on US Navy Aircraft Carriers, the MD1 Aircraft Starter Cart is used to provide compressed air for jet engine start-up for fighter aircraft. Similar Start Carts are also used by the civilian air industry. The MD1 served from 1965 through to the 1990's with the US Military and was retired from service when the aircraft it was used on were all retired from active duty.

Features:

The cart is fully detailed with spinning wheels, a smart-parented hose prop coiled on the top, and a pose-able smart-parented Hose prop to use with aircraft. It conforms to my free Navy Aircraft Towing Tractor, or can be used on its own for your Aircraft Carrier or Air Field scenes.

Moving parts include wheels, smart-parented coiled hose prop, and smart-parented pose-able hose prop.

Includes 2 hose props. 1 is a smart-parented prop to simulate the hose coiled on top of the cart, the other is a smart-parented hose prop that is fully pose-able and will attach to the side of the cart. Select the cart in your scene before loading either of these props so that they can smart-parent properly.

Hopefully this will be another useful item in your runtime!

Find it here... http://www.schells.ca/aircraft-start-cart

AircraftStartCart1.jpg
    600 x 600 - 86K
    AircraftStartCart2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 198K
    AircraftStartCart3.jpg
    600 x 600 - 213K
    AircraftStartCart4.jpg
    600 x 600 - 212K
  • dHandledHandle Posts: 617

Wow..thank you very much!  You have supplied an amazing amount of detail for some very nice freebies, along with some valuable historical context. Much appreciated!

Now I need to find an aircraft carrier from this era.

edited December 2016
    dHandle said:

Wow..thank you very much!  You have supplied an amazing amount of detail for some very nice freebies, along with some valuable historical context. Much appreciated!

Now I need to find an aircraft carrier from this era.

I know there are a couple over at Rendo (won't give a link as I don't want to break TOS), and a few others at other places. I have a decent selection of aircraft on my own site (but again don't want to break TOS so 'nough said I think)...

I'll have a few more aircraft support item freebies soon... I'm doing a Ground Power Unit (used to provide electrical power to parked aircraft undergoing maintenance) and Missile and Bomb Carts. Others will come as I scrounge up decent reference images to work from. There are huge libraries of aircraft (both free and paid) available all over the place, but none of the extras to fill out the scene and add the element of realism...

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246

This stuff is really cool, thanks for making and sharing it. As a non-aviator, I look at much and think "that would be cool as a background item in a post apocalyptic Mad Max sort of render" because to me it looks like cool greebly tech props.  But I wonder how much that would make an aviator say "what the heck is that doing there, it serves no purpose in the world other than to prime the nyad pulse generators in the jet thrust capacitor, it makes absolutely no sense in a zombie killing zone!"

Well at least I ought to be able to get away with using the one with the big spotlights!  Thanks again!

This stuff is really cool, thanks for making and sharing it. As a non-aviator, I look at much and think "that would be cool as a background item in a post apocalyptic Mad Max sort of render" because to me it looks like cool greebly tech props.  But I wonder how much that would make an aviator say "what the heck is that doing there, it serves no purpose in the world other than to prime the nyad pulse generators in the jet thrust capacitor, it makes absolutely no sense in a zombie killing zone!"

Well at least I ought to be able to get away with using the one with the big spotlights!  Thanks again!

ANYTHING can be repurposed into anti-zombie weapons, just some things are better suited for the task than others.

edited December 2016

You're quite welcome! :)

As for the post-apocalyptic setting... this stuff would be perfect found sitting around an abandoned airport or military airfeild where it's been left to rot with the rest of the equipment after the end of the world. Or found sitting rusting away as part of a museum or ship display (Fallout 3 has Rivet City, an old aircraft carrier converted to a settlement for example)... The flood-light unit very well could have been deployed pre apocalypse at roadblocks or collection points etc, then left behind when that spot was abandoned or over-run... ;)

• Thanks, Chris!

• You're very welcome! :)

• ElspathElspath Posts: 180

Awesome! Thank you so much!

• zaz777zaz777 Posts: 115

Great models, thanks.

• Elspath said:

Awesome! Thank you so much!

zaz777 said:

Great models, thanks.

You're both very welcome!

edited December 2016

Another bit of free aircraft ground support gear for your aircraft scenes...

5) Vietnam Era Ground Power Unit

The AM32-86 Ground Power Unit is used ship-board and at land facilities to provide electrical power to aircraft prior to engine start up and for electronics/systems maintenance. The manufacturer of this cart also produces them for the civilian aircraft market.

Features:

The cart is fully detailed with spinning wheels, control panel cover, generator engine covers, and a pose-able smart-parented cable prop to use with aircraft. It conforms to my free Navy Aircraft Towing Tractor, or can be used on its own for your Aircraft Carrier or Air Field scenes.

Moving parts include wheels, control panel cover, engine covers and support rods,  and smart-parented pose-able power cable prop.

Includes a smart-parented cable prop that is fully pose-able and will attach to the side of the cart. Select the cart in your scene before loading this prop so that it can smart-parent properly. The cable can also smart parent to the other trailers for the Aircraft Tractor (though it will need to be manually positioned to line up properly with the various cart types)!

Find it here... http://www.schells.ca/aircraft-generator-cart

GeneratorCart1.jpg
    600 x 600 - 82K
    GeneratorCart2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 201K
    GeneratorCart3.jpg
    600 x 600 - 165K
    GeneratorCart4.jpg
    600 x 600 - 198K

Another bit of free aircraft ground support gear for your aircraft scenes...

5) Vietnam Era Ground Power Unit

The AM32-86 Ground Power Unit is used ship-board and at land facilities to provide electrical power to aircraft prior to engine start up and for electronics/systems maintenance. The manufacturer of this cart also produces them for the civilian aircraft market.

Features:

The cart is fully detailed with spinning wheels, control panel cover, generator engine covers, and a pose-able smart-parented cable prop to use with aircraft. It conforms to my free Navy Aircraft Towing Tractor, or can be used on its own for your Aircraft Carrier or Air Field scenes.

Moving parts include wheels, control panel cover, engine covers and support rods,  and smart-parented pose-able power cable prop.

Includes a smart-parented cable prop that is fully pose-able and will attach to the side of the cart. Select the cart in your scene before loading this prop so that it can smart-parent properly. The cable can also smart parent to the other trailers for the Aircraft Tractor (though it will need to be manually positioned to line up properly with the various cart types)!

Find it here... http://www.schells.ca/aircraft-generator-cart

The original meaning of GPU...

• Lol... yep!

• smoke14smoke14 Posts: 248

Thank you so much for the wonderful freebies :)

• smoke14 said:

Thank you so much for the wonderful freebies :)

You're welcome :)