• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,958
    edited January 2017

Here's some testing of tile.

All patterns are procedurally generated. Total texture load is 0

Glass brick bathroom.png
    1404 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by Oso3D on
  • jag11jag11 Posts: 885

It wasn't as hard as I thought, thanks again, Will.

Lava-ball.png
    495 x 305 - 158K

Bubbles and damascene!

Bubble urn.png
    667 x 1080 - 501K

Really wish I could figure out how to rotate the tile textures in the shader. Meh. I keep hitting situations where the UV mapping of something in a complex architecture doesn't run the same way as the brick pattern the tile produces... and I'm just out of luck. I could apply Iray decals, but that complicates things and often the surfaces are part of complex objects that make it difficult to keep the decal from 'spilling' onto windows or whatever.

I was trying to adapt Winter Hall using tile patterns, but it's pretty much hit a wall because of this.

I was hoping to pipe Tile -> Checkers (which has cool blur/rotate options), but it just doesn't work.

Bah

Worley noise bumps on a refracting glass ball...

Cracked Glass Ball.png
    1080 x 1080 - 1M
  • hphoenixhphoenix Posts: 1,335
    edited January 2017

Really wish I could figure out how to rotate the tile textures in the shader. Meh. I keep hitting situations where the UV mapping of something in a complex architecture doesn't run the same way as the brick pattern the tile produces... and I'm just out of luck. I could apply Iray decals, but that complicates things and often the surfaces are part of complex objects that make it difficult to keep the decal from 'spilling' onto windows or whatever.

I was trying to adapt Winter Hall using tile patterns, but it's pretty much hit a wall because of this.

I was hoping to pipe Tile -> Checkers (which has cool blur/rotate options), but it just doesn't work.

Bah

Well, make a custom MDL brick.....just calculate UV coordinates, then apply the rotation transform (using sin/cos or a transformation matrix) to them.  Shouldn't be too difficult.  All the needed math blocks/methods are already there.  Only tricky part is wrapping coordinates that go off the [0,1] around, which isn't THAT tricky.

Post edited by hphoenix on

Yeah, I can't even imagine how to do any of that. Heh.

• hphoenix said:

Bah

Well, make a custom MDL brick.....just calculate UV coordinates, then apply the rotation transform (using sin/cos or a transformation matrix) to them.  Shouldn't be too difficult.  All the needed math blocks/methods are already there. 

I've got a 3DL setup you might adapt to it, if you can use it.  It employs sine/cosine transformation, and should work for any S/T-mapped upstream input.

Rotation Tiler.png
    1167 x 786 - 105K

I'll see if I can make it work, thank you!

It's the one big flaw with the tile thing. My hope is the ability to plug in generated tile patterns to fill in walls and such on complex structures (like Jack Tomalin, Stonemason, and similar architecture)

But being able to match up the flow of tile/bricks with the structure is critical for it to be user-friendly.

I don't suppose you have any ideas on how to do a 'blur' function? Checkers has a blur, which is nice, but I'd love to have it for Tile (the brick offset is key for a bunch of things)

See, while it works great with displacement, if I want to have a Bump output, I need softer edges than Tile outputs; tile is all COLORA and COLORB, with no gradations. That doesn't play nice with Bump mapping.

Oh, side note... the upside to Worley being UV Map-based is that it will be consistent with animation.

edited January 2017

Hrm. MDL doesn't use S and T, so have to figure out how to access/manipulate texture coordinate info (ST)

There's a Transform Coordinate that takes in one Texture Coordinate and f4x4, and outputs ST. Sounds promising... but I'm not sure about the f4x4. I assume it's a matrix something or other, but that math is over my head.

Post edited by Oso3D on

Hrm. MDL doesn't use S and T, so have to figure out how to access/manipulate texture coordinate info (ST)

There's a Transform Coordinate that takes in one Texture Coordinate and f4x4, and outputs ST. Sounds promising... but I'm not sure about the f4x4. I assume it's a matrix something or other, but that math is over my head.

Yes, it's a transformation matrix.  Not sure why it's requiring a 4x4 matrix (that's a fairly complex transformation matrix, and should only be needed for a 3D texture coordinate.)  More Info:  https://www.siggraph.org/education/materials/HyperGraph/modeling/mod_tran/3drota.htm

It'd probably be easier to just manually convert the U,V coordinates.....later tonight I'll look over the math involved and see what I can come up with.....

edited January 2017

I just have no idea how to get at coordinates, manipulate them, and send them back. I'm trying to do it as much as possible with included bricks, because custom bricks then requires a separate file to be pointed at properly (and I had a huge pile of special stuff all break when I did a reinstall and all the links severed)

I see a lot of tantalizing stuff about texture coordinates, I just can't figure out how to get it to fit together.

There is a suggestive Texture Coordinate Position/Tangent U/Tangent V. I tried swapping U and V ... and it seems to do nothing.

So... um.

Post edited by Oso3D on
    edited January 2017

In more 'wth', I disconnected the base color brick from everything except base color input... and it still behaves normally, reacting to tiling and offset and whatnot.

um. wut.

Like, it's working totally normally despite cutting out the surface tiling brick. I'm... confused.

Post edited by Oso3D on

On the plus side, I just stumbled over something that lets you do really decent outlines. Huh.

Well, how about that.

Ok, here's the WT Outline shader.

Add it to Geoshells, set offset to .15 (maybe less if you are using fainter lines, but that's a good starting point.

In this example, I used a flat white illumination (white square in Environmental Map) and a flat white figure (glossy weight 0 on all surfaces, though I did make the pupils black and the irises have the bump map as color map, hid the Eyelashes)

'Outline' governs how much the outline shades in; larger values mean the lines are fainter, smaller values eventually start filling in gray. I found it useful to lower the values for lips and some areas of the eye, hid the eyelashes.

There is zero postwork in this image. None. Pure Iray.

Shader is attached.

Sketchy Iray.png
    1080 x 1080 - 327K
    duf
    duf
    WT Outline.duf

Well, how about that.

Add it to Geoshells, set offset to .15 (maybe less if you are using fainter lines, but that's a good starting point.

In this example, I used a flat white illumination (white square in Environmental Map) and a flat white figure (glossy weight 0 on all surfaces, though I did make the pupils black and the irises have the bump map as color map, hid the Eyelashes)

'Outline' governs how much the outline shades in; larger values mean the lines are fainter, smaller values eventually start filling in gray. I found it useful to lower the values for lips and some areas of the eye, hid the eyelashes.

Shader is attached.

Oooh.....nice accident!  That's going to be useful for compositing with toon renders and such....

Yeah. I know I've seen at least one request for toon Iray stuff.

I'm going to see if I can make the shader not require geoshells (because that requires a bit of work and slows the render a bit), but not sure I can pull it off well.

edited January 2017

You know, what also works and is faster is just a geoshell with flat black color and cutout .5. Um. Yeah.

Edit: Correction, that more works for a gray shading render. But I think I have a faster version of my Outline shader that should work without geoshells; the outlines will be softer, however.

Post edited by Oso3D on

So this ended up more as a charcoal/gray render shader. It has outlines, but they aren't very sharp. It's a great source for postwork!

It's also FAST. This rendered at 2160x2160 in 90 seconds.

Result, result with postwork, and WT Graysketch.

Komodotest.png
    1080 x 1080 - 1M
    Komodotest smudge.png
    1080 x 1080 - 897K
    duf
    duf
    WT Graysketch.duf

Added outline geoshells. I was worried about time required to render with lots of geoshells... but it rendered in 3 mins fine. Only postwork is shrinking it and removing some slight color from the environment (Sun/sky)

Komodotest3.png
    1080 x 1080 - 1M

Note that if it's easier for you, an Iray Decal will work with the outliner, too. You just lack the ability to toggle off eyelashes and other issues.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,303

Yes, I've been making presets of all the cool results.

And as for organic... sorta? Worley can look a lot like cells, depending on setting.

Yay!!! :)

Worley noise bumps on a refracting glass ball...

Oh cool! I love the light coming really awesomely on the table through the cracks - that is pure art! The rainbows in the light and cracks just looks really neat! 

That looks like it would be great for a broken glass shader. 

Well, how about that.

Shader is attached.

Oh! This geoshell shader is cool! Thank you! :D 

I'm going to download and try the other one too! :D

Thanks so much, Will! 

So this ended up more as a charcoal/gray render shader. It has outlines, but they aren't very sharp. It's a great source for postwork!

It's also FAST. This rendered at 2160x2160 in 90 seconds.

Result, result with postwork, and WT Graysketch.

Oh wow! This one is WAY faster - it renders faster but it also cuts down on the pre-render time as you don't have to create geoshells for all the different clothing items and figure. 

I recommend in: render stettings >> tone mapping >> crush blacks - to raise it quite a bit to get a more richer outline and shadows, but that's just my preference. :)

I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing what i can do with this shader and NPR renders! :)

Thank you, Will! You rock! 

I'll have to try that.

it would be nice to skip all those shells

I added a Posterizer shader. I don't... really like it, Posterizing tends to make colors look all goofy, but someone might get use out of it. Just not sure what purpose it will serve vs. posterizing after the fact, but hey.

• Well, how about that.

Shader is attached.

I'm VERY interested in trying this. But... I'm obviously missing some earlier info from this thread. I've read back a bit, but can't seem to find how to do this... or what a "geoshell" is. Any chance you could point a poor noob in the right direction?