Will's Freebies

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,958

Yeah, with some of the shaders when I saved I ended up forgetting one or another texture map. Heh.

Thanks for the mention, I'll be sure to correct it and others with next pack.

A somewhat silly test of the M4 torso mask. The geoshell has a Bear Clan M4 skin, the underlying skin is Drakon, and then there's a transparency on the geoshell for the Drakon to show through.

Bearsnake.png
    1080 x 1080 - 1M
  • grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246
    SoundLufs said:

Now I feel horrible for not following your suggestions :(  Alas, I touch Daz studio so rarely these days, I probably even won`t get to try your offerings at all....

I wish either you decide to participate in the shop one day,  or DAZ guys could dedicate a "Connect" category for community nominated freebies (maybe with some donation option as well?)    

Your idea to have community nominated highlighted freebie selection is awesome. I think there are some who produce freebies that would feel left out if they weren't picked so I would think some way to make it rotate so more people are included but getting them into some storefront area where casual users can see them is a fantastic idea.

• Will, thanks so much for these. I started playing with the art shader for the outline but I must be doing something wrong. I don't get a white render with black lines, mine turn out in color with the black lines. Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice effect, just not what I was expecting. Also it's not all that fast, about 90 mins per render. That's good compared to a full render (about 10 hours). I don't have an nVidia card yet, so it's just cpu render (an AMD 9370E 8 core processor, 16 gigs of main memory, and 2x AMD R270X graphics cards). Anyway here's sample of what I'm getting.

test-a.jpg
    2000 x 3000 - 782K

To get black and white, apply Flat White shader to the figure, create a Geoshell around the figure, and apply the outline to the geoshell.

Not sure how you got your results, but they do look nice!

• Thanks Will, that was my problem, I miss-read the part about the flat white on the actual model. I didn't do that. Did another test of the way I did the last one but with thinner lines. File attached. I've also attached my environment and the geoshell surface values (as screen caps). Hope they help anyone who might be interested. Note that I didn't modify the actual model at all. Might have to play with the out line values a bit. Glad you liked the way mine turned out (even if I did them wrong, that's why I included the settings, so you could play too.

settings.jpg
    972 x 2807 - 913K
    second test file.jpg
    2000 x 3000 - 953K

It really just depends on the effect you are going for. If the skin you are using doesn't look 'even' enough, consider using the Focus Color I uploaded on page 3. (Or postwork)

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,303
    edited February 2017

I'm adoring the WTP3 shaders! I'm having a lot of fun with them as well as your previous shader sets. They are awesome! :D 

Here are a couple of renders, these are just me playing around with them to see what they do. 

This one is the Cracked Glass:

This one is the Soap Bubble:

And this one is WTP Base Refraction:

These shaders are wonderful and a lot of fun! THANK YOU, Will! yesyesyes

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,459

Those are amazing!

The thing I love most about Iray is playing around with refraction and translucency and thin film and so on. I love the way light plays across some surfaces.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,303

The thing I love most about Iray is playing around with refraction and translucency and thin film and so on. I love the way light plays across some surfaces.

Me too! I love light, color and texture. Iray really makes it a joy to experiment with those! 

For the curious, opened up the rights on WTP3. Do whatever you want with it.

Also, there will be no further development.

Enjoy

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,667

Well let me be the first to say thank you for all your hard work Will!!

I am a little sad there is going to be no further developments though but I understand you want to get back to making art!!!

I'm actually done with all of it, but thanks

Oh, I hope you're not saying you're stopping art. It's so fun to see your inventiveness!!!!

• ConnaticConnatic Posts: 279

Sorry to see you have lost your inspiration/motivation.  I appreciate your efforts.

• Will, you know... I've been lurking here watching your posts for months, and you've been very instrumental in my ability to advance in understanding 3D rendering. Tonight I just published my first 3D package on ShareCG - and it is a real simple thing made from primitives - but without your posts and your shaders, I never would have gotten this far.

​It would be a shame to lose you from the 3D rendering art community. I think there are a lot of people just starting at this who could benefit from having you around. I hope this is just a sabattical.

• @Divamakeup - beautiful renders.

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,667

I'm actually done with all of it, but thanks

Oh wow Will I didn't know that you were tired of doing your art, I know even myself I have lost my drive to do my art but not stopping me from being apart of the community here. I sure hope you do not stop posting around the forum!!! 

We would all be sad to see you leave!!!

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

Well have fun with you free time Will.

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

That's terrible news, Will. What's taking you away?

Art used to make me feel better about life.

Now it makes me feel worthless.

So, time to find a new hobby. Maybe working out.

I find that hard to fathom since you have so much talent, not to mention that you have helped so many people. You're absolutely brilliant with shaders, NPR, etc. You have no idea how many times I have looked enviously at things you have posted and wished that I had even half ( one-fifth even!) of your talent. I may not post many comments, but read all your comments very carefully, and I can't tell you the number of things you have written that I have cut-and-pasted into files to keep for reference. I'm sure many, many others do the same.

I always felt I'd see you soon on Amazon as the author of a graphics novel or similar. Plus selling your procedural shaders in the DAZ store.  I'm very sad that you are feeling bad about your art. I know many of the most brilliant artists go through phases where they "edit" themselves to death or are just so disappointed and can't see what others do from the outside: that their art is brilliant and mind-expanding.

Maybe you are too hard on yourself and need to get input from others? Or to change what you are working on?

Not to say that working out isn't good for you. It releases a lot of good chemicals into your brain, in addition to helping the body. (My husband finds it helps with stress and his depression, although it's not a cure.)

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,910
    edited February 2017

Don't give up. It takes time to developed skills to an acceptable level. Getting into Daz is very hard to do especially if your new to doing this stuff. You may want to try out Renderosity to get some experience, but never give up.

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • Will, we'll be sorry to see you go.  But don't quit creativity altogether:  many times what it needs is a new medium, even (or especially!) one far-sundered from the former habits.  Take up cooking, or leatherwork, or glassblowing, or whatever strikes your fancy.  Keep your mind active and your chin up.  God bless!

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

Hey, Will.  Hang in there.  Life can really suck sometimes.  As much as we want you to stay, take your time and sort things out.  We'll miss you.

Reprieve, possibly. Complained about stuff on a rpg hangout and hey, someone needs an artist for a speculative thing to kickstarter.

Feeling a little better.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,636
    edited February 2017

Art used to make me feel better about life.

Now it makes me feel worthless.

So, time to find a new hobby. Maybe working out.

You are definitely not worthless. Your work has been extrordinarly valuable to all of us.

Working out is a good pastime also and very healthy. You can have several hobbies. Anyway, having several differnt pastimes is usually much better than having just one all consuming one.

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

Reprieve, possibly. Complained about stuff on a rpg hangout and hey, someone needs an artist for a speculative thing to kickstarter.

Feeling a little better.

Thank goodness! Talking about stuff does help, in all sorts of ways.

What got to me is that I have lots of industry friends, none of whom have expressed any interest in my working with them.