IRay 1.3.0 vMaterial Library for D|S

Comments

• MCDLabsMCDLabs Posts: 33
    edited May 2017

if you look at the code:

uniform texture_2d normal_texture =  texture_2d ( "nvidia/vMaterials/AEC/textures/leaves_nrm.jpg" , ::tex::gamma_linear)

This means the normal_Texture = "nvidia/vMaterials/AEC/textures/leaves_nrm.jpg"   wich appears to be a normal.

The problem is in the annotation area the code writer flipped the display informaiton , which the user sees.

[[
            anno::display_name("Bump"),
            anno::description("Attach bump map here."),
            anno::in_group("Appearance")
        ]],

so even though it Appears that the item labled "Bump" has a normal applied. In the actual code the node is a Normal node.
    I will mention this over at the nVidea forums.

If it really bothers you you can use a text editor and fix the errors. BUT you will ahve to change the files form read only and over write the current file.  IMO its not that bg of an issue, but interesting to note.

Post edited by MCDLabs on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

OK, I didn't get that the 1st time. Thanks for clarifying I will use as-is.

• mahhenmahhen Posts: 73

MCDLabs Yep, that larger problem  was only me panicin, everything else is working correctly. And yes i have tryed them only in iray. My only problem at this moment is to get shaders working. So, i installed (full install) that nvidia_vmaterials_v1.4 exe (and of course those files from sharecg) and I have copied vmaterials to (C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\shaders\iray\nvidia)                                files inthere are:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     \ nvidia

\axf_importer                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            \vmaterials                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    \aec                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          \design                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     \iray_for_max_libraries

size of vmaterials file there is 1.5 gigas so i think its all there.

in C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\mdl i have:

\mdl                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 \adobe                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      \alg                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          \iray_for_rhino                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          \nvidia                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  \axf_importer                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              and  core_definitions mdl file and some picture files                                                                                                                                                                                   size of \mdl file is 7.28 megas and size of \nvidia file is 2.13 megas (not sure but i might be missing something from there)

In shader mixer mdl directory manager i have:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                -  current directories                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     - base paths                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 c:\program files\daz 3d\dazstudio4\shaders\iray\nvidia\vmaterias                                                                                                                                                                                                                         c:\programdata\nvidiacorporation\mdl

In shader presets i have:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               \vmaterials (nvidia)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      \aec                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           \liquid --> firs liquid is clear lake   when installed, in surfases tab there is in order: tags, material id, volume color, clarity, reflection weight, reflection roughness, transmission roughness, bump(bump map is there), bump srtenght, rotate, ior, x, y, uv set, smooth, angle                                                                                                                                                          so very sort surfases tab

Not sure if this is helping to solve out this problem.

Ok, dont know why everything was thrown all around like that, they were nicely in order. sorry abouth that.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

you used lots of taps on the space bar,  and that never comes out the same as it appears on the panel you type on.

My nvidia mdl examples doesn't work anymore. I notised this when using condominium room, it uses mahogany floorboards. It worked before i changed mdl directories so that is a  glue for what might be problem.

Can someone please tell me what are standar base paths so i can test them, mayby they will fix mdl examples. Its easier to move from there.

• Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,180

I used some of them with one of my projects for the New User contest this month.

This link should take you to what I started with on in. https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2420571/#Comment_2420571

• Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,180

I used some of them with one of my projects for the New User contest this month.

This link should take you to what I started with on in. https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2420571/#Comment_2420571

OK Mahhen first off let me ask you this , was the directory you moved vmaterials to your installation folder?
    2nd you do NOT need to direct the Shader Mixer to the Program Files locaiton. So removed the

c:\program files\daz 3d\dazstudio4\shaders\iray\nvidia\vmaterials

Just keep the MDl Exchange locaiton in Program Data.

The problem I think you have caused is making the MDl Directory overwrite the internal default location. which is a few folders back up,
    As long as you dragged the whole vMaterials folder over and didnt overwrite anything, that should fix it.

• ThatGuyThatGuy Posts: 794

MCDLabs...thanks for these.  I followed your instructions above (initial post) and everything is working fine for me.  I like these shaders - they are great.

When i installed 1.4 exe it installed to vMaterials to: C:\Users\(user)\Documents\mdl and i copied them from there to (C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\shaders\iray\nvidia i didnt moved them, i only copied them so i have them in both locations, i didnt overite anything eather.. I didnt do anything else, do i need to copy somethin to C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\mdl ? haven't done anything there.

And when daz is on i have now only C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\mdl in mdl directory manager base path

Nothing have changed, nvidia mdl examples still doesn't work and those new shader neither. 

When i load nvidia mdl example texture mahogany floorboards to primitive shere. I can see texture in viewpoin (in some cases it stays grey, mayby when there is no texture map) it is findin texture from C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\shaders\iray\resources\mahogany    but surfases tab is very sort. When i try to render it does't show in render. And if i try to putt iray uber base to (mayby fix the proplem) it goes completely white.

One strange thing, when i have chrome (writing here now) in top and i put mouse down over daz icon in task bar (not clicking) and pull mouse up and daz comes on top. It shows normal viewpoin, put there is 2 mdl directory managers in middle of viewpoint and over them small screen with says reading asset   loaded file: mahogany floorboards.duf

other mdl directory manager have nothing in base paths and other have  C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\mdl in mdl

i have that primitive shere selected in daz, but is this normal, do you guys get the same or do i have 2 mdl directorys some reason.

edited May 2017

so you were NOT prompted when installing vMaterials to install the MDL exchange? ( it would have auto downloaded and installed and then returned to vMaterials) Thats what should be in Program Data.

Also is C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4 the installation location of your version of DazStudio?

R Mouse click on your shortcut and select properties. In the Target window it will say where its installed:
    For example: "C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\DAZStudio.exe"
    Yours MAY differ.

• eaea Posts: 48

Thank you very much for your great work MCDLabs, It works very well and that's a kind of answer to a message I posted few weeks ago about Nvidia materials smiley  I have a little question : I wonder why for few materials, used maps are not visible on shader mixer (for example Fabric-lace-floral : I think the floral pattern is not procedural but a map, but I don't succeed to find it with shader mixer).

MCDLabs you are using term MDL exchange. Is that some kind of procedures i might not be familiar with. In text file there says, that there should be done MDL Exchange: C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\mdl   like i said havn't done anything there. Do i copy mdl files which are in C:\Users\(user)\Documents\mdl there or is it something that that mayby that exe does or something else. Or is it that mdl directory thing.

Basically all i have done this war is to copy the files from that exe file to C:\Users\(user)\Documents\mdl and moved them from there to C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\shaders\iray\nvidia

And i have changed mdl directory base path to C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\md

thats all

three questions:

Question one: does that v1.4 exe do or intall something else than what it instals in C:\Users\(user)\Documents\mdl

if answer is no, then i have everything what that exe instals and the problem is't most likely there.

if answer is yes, then i am missing something and i have to uninstal vmaterials and try again

Question two: (most important) What are mdl directory managers standard base paths, if i reset them i can see if my nvidia mdl examples work again (they aren't working now, they did before this), if the do not work, then proplem is somewhere else and that might cause this one also and all time spend in this is pointless.

Question three: what is MDL exchange

And sorry abouth my noobines :)

• AndySAndyS Posts: 1,434

Hi,

many thanks for your material creations.

But please pay attention for one of those basic rules:

MCDLabs said:

NOTE:

To use these shaders you MUST download and install the NVIDIA vMaterials located at:

https://developer.nvidia.com/vmaterials

If you do not have it installed all ready the vMaterials installer will prompt you to install the MDL Exchange.

The default install locations for these are:

vMaterials: C:\Users\(user)\Documents\mdl

MDL Exchange: C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\mdl

Once you have vMaterials installed you need to get the base MDLs to be recognized by DazStudio

Move the vMaterials folder from its default location (\Users\(user)\Documents\mdl)
    to your defalt DazStudio installation (C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\shaders\iray\nvidia)
    You should notice  abunch of other MDL files here. This is NOT your Content Library this is located under program files!!!)
    (IF you did not install DazStudio to its default location your location may be diferent)

Second place the products in this ZIP file in your DAZ3D Library like you would any other item.
    Third open your shader mixer in DazStudio and then use Edit > MDL Directory Manager and select
    C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation

The C: Drive strictly is for System only !
    (Because not space really is an issue - it is mainly for security reasons)

Most responsible and experienced PC owners know to strictly divide system and user software locations.
    Sorry, but if the installation isn't offering to set a defined location in the first step, this is an absolutely NOGO.

• artd3Dartd3D Posts: 165

After a couple of hours of fiddling around I have them working. Thank you so much,

I love all the Iray shaders I can get.

• vikl1964vikl1964 Posts: 28

Awesome looking shaders, but I have to admit I'm a little lost on this part of the directions:

"Third open your shader mixer in DazStudio and then use Edit > MDL Directory Manager and select C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation".

I see the Shader Mixer folder, but that's it. Right-clicking gives me an option of Edit Metadata, But I'm not finding the MDL Directory Manager. And no MDL Directory Manager listed under the Edit menu option. Not sure what I'm missing.

• Tim NTim N Posts: 193
    vikl1964 said:

... no MDL Directory Manager listed under the Edit menu option. Not sure what I'm missing.

1. Make sure that you have the Shader Mixer pane open. From Daz's Window menu choose  Panes (Tabs)  then Shader Mixer.

2. This will open a new  pane with its own Edit menu separate from the main one. From this choose MDL Directory Manager.

3. This will open another new pane. Right-click on Base Paths and add the folder C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation.

Cheers,

Tim.

• vikl1964vikl1964 Posts: 28

Ah ha! Thank you! smiley

edited May 2017
    AndyS said:

Hi,

many thanks for your material creations.

But please pay attention for one of those basic rules:

The C: Drive strictly is for System only !
    (Because not space really is an issue - it is mainly for security reasons)

Most responsible and experienced PC owners know to strictly divide system and user software locations.
    Sorry, but if the installation isn't offering to set a defined location in the first step, this is an absolutely NOGO.

Actually the explanaiton was showing th edefault installation locaitons. The C: Drive is not necesarily for "system" only. Since Windows Vista,  MS has made an attempt to make windows idiot proof by initializing the User Access Contols. This is by forcing a user to have to agree to make any changes in Program Files and actually hiding a lot of folders.

Anyway after some playing around with the locations. I think I have a simple solution.

INSTEAD of placing the vMaterials Folder (from nVidia)  in your Program Files, create the fiollowing folders in your Content Library:

<Content> MDL > iray > nvidia >

place the vMaterials folder here

Then direct the Shader Mixer's MDL Directory Manager to  <Content>/MDL

Since the MDL Exchange from nVidia loads to its default locaiton the files should know where they need to go to call on it ( if it is necessary, because it appears not to be needed beyond installation)

<edited to correct the spellign of NVIDIA)
    Thanks Tim

edited May 2017

I found that I needed to copy the vmaterials folder to the following path:

<Content> MDL > nvidia

Note the missing "iray" folder and the corrected spelling of nvidia.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

Post edited by Tim N on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634

what happens when the 90 day trial runs out, will everything still work?

There is no 90-day trial for the shaders.

Iray has a trial, but Daz has paid to have it included in Daz Studio.

well the link to Vmaterials DL page states a 90 days trail and asks me to fill in an info form and again states a trail followed up by an email that states the same. So I gather the DL has multiple parts, does the installer allow me to choose what I install? 

• artd3Dartd3D Posts: 165

The trial is for the plugin if you downloaded one, not for the materials.

That's the thing it has been made clear in what we are downloading with all this talk of trails and what not. What I dled was nvidia_vmaterials_v1.4 so now I see this talk of trails is nonsense for what I dled. All good now.

oh and I am grateful for MCDLabs work here. It's Nvidia fault for not making things clear in what the DL is and why a mention of a Trail period that was what put me of DLing it months ago.. 

Nvidia is in the business of selling their plug -ins. they simply placed the vMaterials ( which in the various other forums that support the plugins  they have made clear are free and not a 90 day trial) on the same page as the plugins and stand alone renderer.

The confusion I have run into the most is the lack of MDL support for Daz Users.
    Since MDLs can be used cross platform (DAZStudio, 3dsmax,rhino etc,) either via the plug ins or via products that incorporate iRay. Its a great resource to further understand. Its incorpoaration into DazStudio isnt as smooth as it appears to be in other applicaitons via the plugins. as a MDL file has to be used as a shader brick in Daz, and not as the sahder itself

Yeah I get all that thanks...been doing this for a whie now. :)

I notice that the shaders have now disappeared from ShareCG. crying

Any explanations?