IRay 1.3.0 vMaterial Library for D|S

Comments

• hphoenixhphoenix Posts: 1,335
    edited May 2017
    Tim N said:

I notice that the shaders have now disappeared from ShareCG. crying

Any explanations? 

I found a forum post on ShareCG about it from MCDLabs (posted 5/21):

"OK community. When I pushed out the vLibrary, some people got pretty confused over what was going on and how to install. So after 1800 downloads + in all I am suspending them until I write clearer install instructions and set up a standard file location for them that everyone can get used to.

I am thinking bout having the vMaterials files moved to the data folder. and pointing the Shader Mixers MDL Directory manager to a folder in there.

This will accomplish a few things:
    1) it will allow future MDL writers a standardized locaiton for all MDL files to goto.
    2) it will prevent those fearful of dragging the files into their Program Directory from not having access to these great SHADERS.
    3) Since everyone is used to NOT moving anything in the data folder around. Once users have it set up for that location they wont have to worry about any further settings.

Why do I think a standard locaiton is important is simple. nVidia updates and adds more MDL files to that library. This occurs about every 4 months or so (Last update was the v1.4.0 Release on April 28th"

Post edited by hphoenix on
  • MCDLabsMCDLabs Posts: 33

Yep thats exactly it. When I started this project I was working with vMaterials 1.3, low and behold 1.4 came out in between me starting this and finishing.
    1.4. With 1.4 I am fixing a few things I noticed I messed up on before one BIG fix is allowing the shaders to be translated along the X & Y axis.

So here are the changes so far.

Carpets:
    Fixed so ALL shaders can be Scaled and Translated.
    NEW SHADER : Carpet-Floral

Concrete
    NEW SHADER :     Concrete - Cast - Diamond
            Concrete - Cast - Panels

Fabric
    NEW SHADER : Fabric-Bird Netting

Glass
    Fixed so shaders wich requuire it can be Scaled and Translated.
    NEW SHADER : Glass - Etched

Liquid
    Fixed so ALL shaders with bumps can be Scaled and Translated.

Masonry
    NEW SHADER :    Ashlar: masonry made of large square-cut stones, typically used as a facing on walls of brick or stone.
            Ashlar - Box Weave 2x2
            Ashlar - Box Weave 3x3
            Ashlar - American Common Bond
            Ashlar - English Common Bond
            Ashlar - English Cross Bond
            Ashlar - Escalia
            Ashlar - Flemish Cross
            Ashlar - Interlocking
            Ashlar - Ledge
            Ashlar - Opus
            Ashlar - Rosette
            Ashlar - Running Bond
            Ashlar - Running Half-Bond
            Ashlar - Running Long Bond
            Ashlar - Stack Bond
            Ashlar - Stack Half-Bond
            Ashlar - Stack Long-Bond
    Splitface CMU: A concrete masonry unit (CMU) is a standard size rectangular block used in building construction..
            Splitface CMU - Running Bond
            Splitface CMU - Running Half-Bond
            Splitface CMU - Stack Bond
            Splitface CMU - Stack Half-Bond

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

Well one thing I notice was on the green leaf wall shader that X & Y wouldn't scale up so that I could tile the leafs like you'd expect on wallpaper or stencils.

• Tim NTim N Posts: 193

Great news, MCDLabs. Thanks for your continuing efforts.  yes

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634

awesomeness 

OK closing this one down
    Look for the vMaterials 1.4 discussion for further questions.

• eaea Posts: 48

What's happened to the vMaterials 1.4 discussion ? it disappears.

Yes, that is odd. I had a comment and I got no email stating that my comment was deleted.

Yes it's strange, I tried to update my Vmaterials from 1.3 to 1.4 and the download link from Nvidia is still for 1.3 release.

it seems that when you ask to download plugin + Vmaterials, they send you a link to download Vmaterials 1.4, But if you ask to download only Vmaterials, the sent download link is only for Vmaterials 1.3.

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631

link on 1.post is dead now

That's normal, because MCDlabs posted new links in the new (but now erased) discussion. You can find the good pages easily on Sharecg.

edited May 2017

The other link was removed because I misread the nvidia tos.... I cannot REDEISTRIBUTE the files. so you have to go and download them yourself.

I have fixed the sharecg zip files to be complaint with that. I was hoping to make things easier for users as many people had dificulty understanding the directions given..

So the instructions have been rewritten to go back to you downloading from nVidia the MDL files to work with the DAZStudio files.

also the AEC portion was temporarily split to compensate for its size , this is no longer needed as the nvidia files have been removed dropping the zip file down to less than a mb again so i combined it into a single file and deleted the part 2 of the AEC files.

The links are:
    https://www.sharecg.com/v/88351/view/21/DAZ-Studio/iRay-vMaterials-1.4-AEC-Shaders
    https://www.sharecg.com/v/88360/view/21/DAZ-Studio/IRAY-vMaterials-1.4-Design-Shaders

enjoy

Post edited by MCDLabs on
  • AndySAndyS Posts: 1,434
    edited May 2017

Hi,

since I installed the required nVidia library, I experienced the DAZ spotlights no longer working in iRay. --> https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/170951/spotlights-don-t-work-anymore
    Some more info on this, please ??

Post edited by AndyS on

Oh, I had a duh moment...the nVidia shaders to scale the pattern smaller to tile them you do division instead of multiplication like with the DAZ iRay shaders so tile X / tile Y on DAZ iRay of 10 becomes scale X / scale Y of 0.1 with the nVidia shader vMaterials.

Thanks!

edited May 2017

nVidia's MDL library doesnt even install directly into DazStudio so it isnt overwriting anything. so there should be no conflicts with lights
    all you should have done is installed the vMaterials (which dont even install into any directory that affects daz...moved the folder (per the instructions) to data > !MDL.
    again since that data folder is one that does not conflict with anythign should be no problems with spotlights.

In shader mixer you point the MDL directory to the data > !MDL folder shader mixer I don't believe affects spotlights in anyway,
    and finally the shader presests folder that is placed in your conttent again has nothign to do with spotllights, so I am guessing this is a seperate problem that has nothing to do with the shaders.

nonesuch00 yeah the x and y scales are a % base 1.0 being 100 sized if you want them smaller you decide a fraction like 0.1 or something.

Post edited by MCDLabs on

It's correct, that the install don't overwrite anything.
    But what's about the shader mixer action to get the ACE libraries applicable?

The message out of the error log:
    "WARNING: dzneuraymgr.cpp(1113): MDL Import Error (4006) : Y:\Programme\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\shaders\iray\daz_3d\basic.mdl(181,8): unreferenced local material 'material dzpm_diffuse_area_light' has been removed"

ok so that looks like a problem with the basic.mdl which is located in your Program Files (Programme) directory.

So it appears somehow THAT file has been altered removing  "export material dzpm_diffuse_area_light " parameters. Again, since you should not have been installing anythign there with the 1.4 version may not have anything to do these files.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,846

I installed the 1.4 version from MCDLabs zip files when the thread was still up. My lights are working fine, as far as I can see. This scene has a red point light, a blue spotlight and a yellow distant light. All three are visible in the scene.

lights are working.JPG
    2054 x 1372 - 297K

Yep,

I don't know, where a parameter may be altered.
    I already re-installed the correponding DAZ version.
    With 4.9.3.166 Beta it works. With the new 4.9.4.110 Beta it works. But the standard installation don't. And it only appeared after the necessary shader mixer setting.

I also checked the necessary mld files in the /DAZStudio4/shaders/iray/nvidia folder. Same size, same date (corrupted version against installation package).
    Cause even the new installation failed, it can't be this area. But the content folder is the same I used for the other successful tests. So even this couldn't be the place.

I'm really clueless ...

So, ...

I removed the shader mixer path setting you suggested in your manual, and ...

... the default iray lights work again. smiley

I have to explain: Due to some bugs in the newer versions of iRay I'm still on DAZ 4.9.2.70.
    Here your process causes the iRay defaults Lights stop working.

Is it possible to include the default lights' path into your suggested shader mixer add. path settings?

• Okay, I have the shader packs installed... and went through all the hoops to get the nvidia folder moved to the appropriate place in my daz studio library.  When I go to apply one of these shaders to a surface, though, the object goes to a totally opaque grey.  Rendering the scene shows the appropriate shader applied onto the surface, though, but I literally can't see the shader texture when I'm in the Viewport, I only see it when I render the scene.  Am I missing something?

Okay, I have the shader packs installed... and went through all the hoops to get the nvidia folder moved to the appropriate place in my daz studio library.  When I go to apply one of these shaders to a surface, though, the object goes to a totally opaque grey.  Rendering the scene shows the appropriate shader applied onto the surface, though, but I literally can't see the shader texture when I'm in the Viewport, I only see it when I render the scene.  Am I missing something?

No, that's how procedural shaders behave. Nothing is calculated before rendering so it doesn't know what to show as a preview.

• y3kmany3kman Posts: 765

How do you edit a DUF file? One of the shader presets is pointing at the wrong directory for a file it needs.

Wordpad or Notepad++ I use Notepad ++

edited August 2017

If it is encrypted compressed you need to deal with that inside DS. I think it is via the Batch Convert Pane

Post edited by Szark on
    Szark said:

If it is encrypted compressed you need to deal with that inside DS. I think it is via the Batch Convert Pane

Or just decompress it with WinZip or 7zip, etc.

I didn't know that barbult thank you.... 

• y3kmany3kman Posts: 765
    barbult said:
    Szark said:

Or just decompress it with WinZip or 7zip, etc.

Wow, thanks, I didn't know that. So, after decompressing and editing it, can I just add the DUF extension to the extracted file or do I have to compress it again?

The shader problem is kinda trivial and I'm not expecting to use it again. The "faulty" preset is the Photo Paper.

You can leave it uncompressed.