Daz 3D Introduces dForce Physics Engine

Comments

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,303
    edited October 2017
    L'Adair said:

Here's a render of the dress I was talking about earlier, in this post.

Front View

There are two layers, a short slip and the overdress. I ran Simulate on them both at the same time, single frame, not the Timeline.

Wow! That's cool! Lovely render! And I wasn't at all interested in that dress until I saw this render. It's now in my wish list! :D

Did you have Self Collide on or off for the simulation? 

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    L'Adair said:

Front View

There are two layers, a short slip and the overdress. I ran Simulate on them both at the same time, single frame, not the Timeline.

Wow! That's cool! Lovely render! And I wasn't at all interested in that dress until I saw this render. It's now in my wish list! :D

Did you have Self Collide on or off for the simulation? 

Self Collide is On, for all material zones of both dress and slip.

I should mention I added a pink metallic flake to the overdress, to "dress it up" for the render. (Do you remember "sparkle organza"? That's the effect I was trying for.) And as you pointed out, smoothing was turned off. The slip really needs smoothing turned back on. (Smoothing is not on for the overdress. I didn't even think about it. So I turned on and I'm rendering again, to see if it makes any appreciable difference. It's set to collide with the slip.)

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,305

Really very cool. Can one use single frame, not the timeline, for any pose?

• EsemwyEsemwy Posts: 578
    Artini said:

Really very cool. Can one use single frame, not the timeline, for any pose?

Technically speaking, you can, but some won’t look as nice as they could. Seated poses, I think, expecially, do a much better job of draping if animated. 

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,305
    edited October 2017

Yes, I have noticed that. Below is the render of animated draping of under robe and scarf from

https://www.daz3d.com/desert-robes-for-genesis-8-male-s

on Milo - https://www.daz3d.com/milo-for-lucas-8

Milo03sim4pic01.jpg
    830 x 1080 - 89K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • wargiswargis Posts: 142

Hello to all participatints of this thread! I run against this wonderful novelty recently and would like to use dForce dynamics also, but I'm not very well-known with computer hardware, so I wonder - does dForce use and require only newest GPU cards of it can use CPU too? I've read general requirements for dForce and learned that it requires only those GPUs with some OpenCL 1.2. My laptop's GPU (ATI Radeon, not Nvidia) is rather outdated and uses OpenCL 1.1. I don't want to change it so far, because it works nicely with other 3D software, so does it means that I won't be able to use dForce at all? All other dynamic plugins (Optitex DCC, VWD Cloth) work nice too for me, and I suspect that they are related more on CPU cores than on GPU. Is dForce able or will be able someday to use CPU too, in case if an user has any older or incompatible GPU video processor?

• wargis said:

Hello to all participatints of this thread! I run against this wonderful novelty recently and would like to use dForce dynamics also, but I'm not very well-known with computer hardware, so I wonder - does dForce use and require only newest GPU cards of it can use CPU too? I've read general requirements for dForce and learned that it requires only those GPUs with some OpenCL 1.2. My laptop's GPU (ATI Radeon, not Nvidia) is rather outdated and uses OpenCL 1.1. I don't want to change it so far, because it works nicely with other 3D software, so does it means that I won't be able to use dForce at all? All other dynamic plugins (Optitex DCC, VWD Cloth) work nice too for me, and I suspect that they are related more on CPU cores than on GPU. Is dForce able or will be able someday to use CPU too, in case if an user has any older or incompatible GPU video processor?

You need OpenCL 1.2 for dForce.

• AtanaciusAtanacius Posts: 333
    edited October 2017

So finally dForce is the Physics Engine ion in our beloved DAZ Studio.

But.. Since all old contents (Genesis all series) and ... can we speak about V4 series ? ^^ Will not work with the power of dForce..
    It has then a certain "Wooohooo" effect that disappear.

What is the point to have dForce useable only with new products where olders will never got any dForce capability ?
    I mean.. This is the technology that may cost an arm to the end user by purchasing more and more new products!

No?

Post edited by Atanacius on
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    Atanacius said:

But.. Since all old contents (Genesis all series) and ... can we speak about V4 series ? ^^ Will not work with the power of dForce..

What is the point to have dForce useable only with new products where olders will never got any dForce capability ?
    I mean.. This is the technology that may cost an arm to the end user by purchasing more and more new products!

No?

As I understand it (and I don't have the beta, so I haven't been playing) "dForce compatability" just means that it has been tested to play well with dforce.  Older items that haven't been tested can be made dforce compatable within Daz Studio, and without needing any exceptional knowledge of the program.

If you look at more than a few of the renders in this thread, they're of older items that were given dforce properties by the user, rather than by the PA.

• wargiswargis Posts: 142

So no CPU support? What a pity. But results are very impressive. For any case, now dForce copes with non-welded parts of clothing like buttons, eyelets, belt buckles in dynamic motion or in extreme poses? I've seen Mada's video about laced shirt on G3M, but when eyelets and lacing were glued to the chest with weight maps, the character moves only arms, without bending his chest or jumping or running, when lacing should move along with the main fabric of the shirt. For me, it's a real problem with dynamic clothing, especially with corset lacing like in that shirt, because laces cannot be simply attached to the polys like rigid props.  Or will it be in future options of dForce, not in the present version? Is it expected at all amid other possible improvements, don't you know?

• wargis said:

So no CPU support? What a pity. But results are very impressive. For any case, now dForce copes with non-welded parts of clothing like buttons, eyelets, belt buckles in dynamic motion or in extreme poses? I've seen Mada's video about laced shirt on G3M, but when eyelets and lacing were glued to the chest with weight maps, the character moves only arms, without bending his chest or jumping or running, when lacing should move along with the main fabric of the shirt. For me, it's a real problem with dynamic clothing, especially with corset lacing like in that shirt, because laces cannot be simply attached to the polys like rigid props.  Or will it be in future options of dForce, not in the present version? Is it expected at all amid other possible improvements, don't you know?

CPU support should be available, certainly for Core series Intel processors - see the Dependencies section of the Start Here thread for a link to the Intel CPU driver.https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/203081/dforce-start-here#latest.

Hard objects such as buttons are an area where working with content made for dForce will be easier, they can be set up as Rigid Follow Nodes - it is possible to do that with existing clothing, using the Geometry Editor tool, but it is a bit of a fiddle. Thngs like laces, certainly if they are not continuous, are more of a problem.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    wargis said:

So no CPU support?

I think you're confusing OpenCL with OpenGL, the graphics card standard. OpenCL is for parallel processing, and there's different versions of the driver installer available depending on your hardware — including versions for CPU and versions for graphics cards.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,482
    Atanacius said:

No?

As I understand it (and I don't have the beta, so I haven't been playing) "dForce compatability" just means that it has been tested to play well with dforce.  Older items that haven't been tested can be made dforce compatable within Daz Studio, and without needing any exceptional knowledge of the program.

If you look at more than a few of the renders in this thread, they're of older items that were given dforce properties by the user, rather than by the PA.

I think the jury is still out on the compatibilty of existing content. I had next-to no success while others seem to have had some garments that work under certain conditions but there have been lots of explosions. I doubt that people are going to post all their failures so this thread will seem to confirm that existing content works. I have some serious doubts, however. I even had the freebie dForce compatible dress included with the beta explode when tested on a G3F character.

• Keep in mind, this is also a beta.

I think an important distinction is that, unlike Optitex for instance, you aren't restricted to clothing that is MADE for dForce, so as far as I am aware, and what I've tested myself, it isn't like all Genesis clothing works perfectly but anything older won't run. The difference is in how it was designed, not necessarily when or what figure it was designed for.

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416

You can put an optitex outift, or poser dynamic outfit for V4 on G1 and it should work okay if you do a timeline drap and make sure you don't have any poke-through.. those things were designed for it so the likelyhood of it working are much higher.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited October 2017

I am all of a sudden getting this message on my pc.  Could not find a valid OpenCl device. The simulations were working just fine 2 days ago on this machine..   Why would I be getting this? I am very frustrated. I did update to the latest version yesterday.

Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,957

I've had pretty good success with putting anything on anything, with the exception of stuff that's not surprising in being hard, like suits and stuff with a lot of fiddly bits (buttons, layers, etc).

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Atanacius said:

No?

I'm working on using a V4 clothing item right now. The problem it does have has nothing to do with dForce, which is working on it just fine.

• Fisty said:

You can put an optitex outift, or poser dynamic outfit for V4 on G1 and it should work okay if you do a timeline drap and make sure you don't have any poke-through.. those things were designed for it so the likelyhood of it working are much higher.

Sorry, what I meant was that unlike the optitex dynamics engine, it is not a requirement that an item be "dForce ready" or built with special technology to be able to simulate it.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

L'Adair, that's the best i've ever seen that dress! I have it and hate it, but man, you made it look fantastic.  

L'Adair said:

Front View

Fisty said:

Sorry, what I meant was that unlike the optitex dynamics engine, it is not a requirement that an item be "dForce ready" or built with special technology to be able to simulate it.

I was replying to a comment about not being able to use old stuff on Genesis, which is very much not the case.

• I am all of a sudden getting this message on my pc.  Could not find a valid OpenCl device. The simulations were working just fine 2 days ago on this machine..   Why would I be getting this? I am very frustrated. I did update to the latest version yesterday.

Updated what to latest version?

I am all of a sudden getting this message on my pc.  Could not find a valid OpenCl device. The simulations were working just fine 2 days ago on this machine..   Why would I be getting this? I am very frustrated. I did update to the latest version yesterday.

Updated what to latest version?

The beta version. I have no idea why all of a sudden its not recognizing that I have open CL on my pc. It was working with no problems until I did the update.  (my other issue is with the laptop which has amd and not nvidea.)

• The update didn't change anything as far as the OpenCL is concerned. Try restarting the PC\DS and if that doesn't do the trick, uninstall and reinstall DS.

• ytetsuytetsu Posts: 46

I got same error. And I have to update GeForce driver to latest (387.92 released October 9) to fix it.

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,925

Sorry if this has been asked before. Is it possible to store the dforce simulation shape as a morph target? 

• thd777thd777 Posts: 933
    edited October 2017

The old Optitex clothes work quite well with Dforce. Here is the V4 Century NIght Gown on G3F simulated via time line animation (just one pose in 30 frames). It just rrequired some parameter adjustments to precvent the gown from falling off (the character is smaller and thinner than  V4.

Ciao

TD

Century Night Gown.png
    607 x 1000 - 447K
    Post edited by thd777 on
  • thd777 said:

The old Optitex clothes work quite well with Dforce. Here is the V4 Century NIght Gown on G3F simulated via time line animation (just one pose in 30 frames). It just rrequired some parameter adjustments to precvent the gown from falling off (the character is smaller and thinner than  V4.

Ciao

TD

If you export as OBJ you could adjust its size before draping.

Sorry if this has been asked before. Is it possible to store the dforce simulation shape as a morph target?

Yes, export as obj, then import it with morph loader pro.  Change reverse deformation to Yes if you're doing it for a pose and/or shape and still have it applied to your figure.

The update didn't change anything as far as the OpenCL is concerned. Try restarting the PC\DS and if that doesn't do the trick, uninstall and reinstall DS.

I rolled it back to right before the udpate, about 4 days ago and it works perfectly....