Daz 3D Introduces dForce Physics Engine

Comments

• Very nice indeed!

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,591
    edited October 2017

I tend to think of the implementation of dForce simulations as being hybrid, and as such it is incredibly powerful. It can be useful to think of painting influence weights (including soft selections) as "pinning". The possibilities extend even further when you think about the fact that "pinning" soft selections of geometry can:

1. keep the "pinned" verts from moving at all

2. cause the "pinned" verts follow an object/bone and all of its animatable transforms (when the simmed object is parented)

3. cause the "pinned" verts follow the position as detemined by conforming (when the simmed object is a piece of conforming clothing that is fit to a figure)

Even though this tech is still in its infancy as a beta, it's already possible to do some amazing things. I used dForce on 4 items in this scene and it worked slick as a whistle:

Awesome!

- Greg

Post edited by algovincian on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157

So attempting to get my "Groovy Pants" to drape nicely on Dusk.  I'm looking for a lighter, thinner denim look.  So wanting more wrinkles but not able to achieve this yet. Are there specific settings to try to get more of a loose, wrinkly affect in a static T Pose to start?

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Try reducing Bend Stiffness in particular. You may also need a finer mesh so you could ensure that Collision Mesh Resolution is set to "1 - Viewport", that your clothing item is SubD and set the Viewport resolution to 1 or more, and the cloth calculations will be based on the displayed resolution of the item. But keep in mind that every increase in SubD resolution will increase the calculation time by around 4 times, so increasing two levels will be 16 times as long.

• thd777thd777 Posts: 933
    RAMWolff said:

So attempting to get my "Groovy Pants" to drape nicely on Dusk.  I'm looking for a lighter, thinner denim look.  So wanting more wrinkles but not able to achieve this yet. Are there specific settings to try to get more of a loose, wrinkly affect in a static T Pose to start?

The wrinkles are in reality a result of the clothes moving and interacting with the skin below. What I do to simulate this is to set up an animation that starts and ends in the T pose while going through one or more poses in the frames between (bending and twisting the legs and torso for example). The clothes on the final T pose will then be appropriately wrinkled and can can be exported as obj and re-imported as morph. 

You need to find approriate surface settings for your clothes model, give the cloth a low enough value for bend stiffness, increase the friction and make sure self-collision is on.

Ciao

TD

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited October 2017
    Even though this tech is still in its infancy as a beta, it's already possible to do some amazing things. I used dForce on 4 items in this scene and it worked slick as a whistle (click for full size):

I'm not a fan of zombies per se, but this image is truly amazing. I can see only two things I feel confident you used dForce on, unless the gal is wearing more than one item, and maybe her hair?

Awesome, indeed.

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,591
    edited October 2017
    L'Adair said:
    Even though this tech is still in its infancy as a beta, it's already possible to do some amazing things. I used dForce on 4 items in this scene and it worked slick as a whistle (click for full size):

I'm not a fan of zombies per se, but this image is truly amazing. I can see only two things I feel confident you used dForce on, unless the gal is wearing more than one item, and maybe her hair?

Awesome, indeed.

Thanks, L'Adair - zombies are just misunderstood! I'm being poked fun at by somebody looking over my shoulder as I type this, "Is she asking the crow where the ladies' room is?" lol

Anyway, she is wearing a top/scarf, but it's not dynamic. It's kind of hard to see on purpose as I didn't want it to stand out, but wanted the image to comply with the rules. Her skirt is one of the dForce items. His sleeve is another (again kind of blends in by design so it's not too distracting in the foreground). The last 2 are his hair (hung up on his nose), and the skin on his head.

Already have some new ideas on how to do things differently knowing what I know now, but had to draw the line on this image as I worked on it on/off for several days already. Definitely a validating proof of concept to explore further in the future.

dForce rules!

- Greg

ETA: I'm curious, which 2 were you confident on?

Post edited by algovincian on
  • Aave NainenAave Nainen Posts: 1,108
    L'Adair said:

Awesome, indeed.

I'm definitely not a fan of zombies either,  but am certainly a fan of your artistry in this image!

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

Her skirt and his sleeve.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,172
    L'Adair said:

Awesome, indeed.

Thanks, L'Adair - zombies are just misunderstood! I'm being poked fun at by somebody looking over my shoulder as I type this, "Is she asking the crow where the ladies' room is?" lol

Anyway, she is wearing a top/scarf, but it's not dynamic. It's kind of hard to see on purpose as I didn't want it to stand out, but wanted the image to comply with the rules. Her skirt is one of the dForce items. His sleeve is another (again kind of blends in by design so it's not too distracting in the foreground). The last 2 are his hair (hung up on his nose), and the skin on his head.

Already have some new ideas on how to do things differently knowing what I know now, but had to draw the line on this image as I worked on it on/off for several days already. Definitely a validating proof of concept to explore further in the future.

dForce rules!

- Greg

It is an amazing image!  Well done!

Dana

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,843

What is a "Dynamic Surface Add-On", and how is it used?

So here is a result from a gown I made a while back and thought "cool I can finally drape it nicely" ... uh the sleeves are not supposed to be fins!  lmao

ScreenHunter_64 Oct. 25 18.14.png
    717 x 714 - 184K
  • y3kmany3kman Posts: 765
    edited October 2017

Anyone with some tips for characters performing a handstand? Clothes usually explode. I'm also trying to apply dForce to the character's hair and I suspect it's the one causing the memory allocation error.

Oh, and speaking of errors, is it normal for the application to refuse to simulate again if you encounter an error? My program is the latest 4.10 release and I have to restart it to begin a new sim.

Post edited by y3kman on
  • y3kman said:

Anyone with some tips for characters performing a handstand? Clothes usually explode. I'm also trying to apply dForce to the character's hair and I suspect it's the one causing the memory allocation error.

Although some people had success with it, hair is not supported at this time.

• I apologize if this has been asked about already '22 pages, I could have missed it) but will there be some way for us to convert non-dforce products to dforce compatible?

It would be a bummer to have to rebuy all our stuff, after all...

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,386

I apologize if this has been asked about already '22 pages, I could have missed it) but will there be some way for us to convert non-dforce products to dforce compatible?

Yes, you can convert old content with the tools included in DS. Whether or not it will work well with dForce will depend on how it was built.

• NathNath Posts: 2,770

I apologize if this has been asked about already '22 pages, I could have missed it) but will there be some way for us to convert non-dforce products to dforce compatible?

In the Beta it was possible (Edit geometry, apply DForce-modifier). I'm at work, so I can't make screenshots.

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882

Bah!  The Elven Overtunic seems to not quite work.  It doesn't exactly explode, but the front of the tunic skirt flares and flaps even from the T-pose.

This is especially annoying as I'm currently using it in a couple of scenes are really wanted to drape it properly.

This after a 60 frame drape...

Elven Flasher.png
    512 x 512 - 76K
    edited October 2017

*ignore this.  I'm blind*

Post edited by DaWaterRat on
    RAMWolff said:

So here is a result from a gown I made a while back and thought "cool I can finally drape it nicely" ... uh the sleeves are not supposed to be fins!  lmao

Can anyone offer any draping tips for my "fins" sleeves that are supposed to be draped and not stiff looking like that? 

• So, every time I try to simulate, my graphics card driver shuts down and DAZ crashes, additionally to most other programs I'd run at that time. I'm not sure how amazing this feature is, but I'd like to be able to use it ... like at all. Is there any trick how to get it work?

Btw, my graphics card is a GTX 1060 with 3GB RAM.

• thd777 said:
    RAMWolff said:

The wrinkles are in reality a result of the clothes moving and interacting with the skin below. What I do to simulate this is to set up an animation that starts and ends in the T pose while going through one or more poses in the frames between (bending and twisting the legs and torso for example). The clothes on the final T pose will then be appropriately wrinkled and can can be exported as obj and re-imported as morph. 

You need to find approriate surface settings for your clothes model, give the cloth a low enough value for bend stiffness, increase the friction and make sure self-collision is on.

Ciao

TD

Another thing to play with: If you right-click on the tab of the "surfaces" pane and select the "dForce surface adjuster" it can help you in adjusting some of the settings.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,305
    edited October 2017

Great work, Daz 3D team. Now even clothes with "Self Collide" set to "On" work for me.

Attitude shirt on Blue 2.0. Finally I can dress her/him properly.

https://www.daz3d.com/blue-2-0

https://www.daz3d.com/attitude-outfit-for-genesis-3-male-s

Blue03pic01.jpg
    1280 x 1080 - 262K
    Blue02pic01.jpg
    1280 x 1080 - 141K
    Post edited by Artini on

I may still be figureing this all out, but a lot of those older Poser Dynamic outfits that I used to sigh wistfully over are starting to find their way to my wish list...

• So how do i use this?? is there a tutorial i can watch anywhere?

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 2,015

I am liking dForce a lot but I am finding it quite temperamental in that some outfits will cause dForce to crash.. Such as the Allure Chemise for Genesis 2 will cause dForce throw a wobbly not entirely sure why.. But in all for me at least it is a case of trial and error with clothing conversion to dynamic.. Some will work and some will make dForce crash, in the end though, I am very happy to finally have such an awesome physics system in Daz Studio..

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,386

So how do i use this?? is there a tutorial i can watch anywhere?

• Is there anyone here who has used D force and can walk me through the steps on how to use it? As usual Daz is Horrible at documentation

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 2,015

Here is a quick one done by Mada..

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Is there anyone here who has used D force and can walk me through the steps on how to use it? As usual Daz is Horrible at documentation

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/203081/dforce-start-here