Daz 3D Introduces dForce Physics Engine

Comments

• y3kmany3kman Posts: 765

I'm having fun playing with dForce as long as I don't encounter any problems. Unfortunately, that happens too frequently and becomes frustrating when you're forced to restart Daz Studio. Either the simulation crashes (memory error?), clothes explode or wardrobe gets torn/ripped during sim stabilization. I swear dForce hates most of the poses from the Classical Dance Poses for G3F product.

Here's a simple test render of Mei Lin wearing the Marionette outfit.

Mei Lin.jpg
    720 x 1280 - 127K
  • SamanthieSamanthie Posts: 308
    edited October 2017

y3kman said:

I'm having fun playing with dForce as long as I don't encounter any problems. Unfortunately, that happens too frequently and becomes frustrating when you're forced to restart Daz Studio. Either the simulation crashes (memory error?), clothes explode or wardrobe gets torn/ripped during sim stabilization. I swear dForce hates most of the poses from the Classical Dance Poses for G3F product.

Here's a simple test render of Mei Lin wearing the Marionette outfit.

You did a good job with the Marionette outfit. May I ask how you avoided poke through? I got a similation error (memory allocation). Did you adjust collision?

Post edited by Samanthie on
  • Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    L'Adair said:
    Morana said:
    AllenArt said:

What I do is load the clothing as an .obj, then use the transfer tool to make a quick conformer without painting any weight maps or anything or even using any settings other than the default in the transfer utility. That way, everything follows and autofollows too :). If you don't want to do all that, you can just parent it in place I believe.

Laurie

Thanks for that!  Looks like the core of my problem was trying to use V4 content on V4... lol

I was trying that last night. Apparently dForce requires rigging other than that used on the V4. I think it's easiest, whether the clothing is for Poser or Daz Studio, to use an OBJ and go from there. (Export the DS V4 item as a Wavefront object and then import. No clue about Poser!)

I wonder... would converting both V4 and the V4 clothing to Triax rigging first work...  I'd test it, but I don't think I have V4 installed at the moment.

I'm trying to get the RDNA Hooded Robe to drape on V2. Poser rigging, same as V4. I'm getting the exact same effect that Morana described.

I even converted V2 to TriAx, saved out as a figure, and used transfer utility to "quick rig" the robe, so it's conforming to V2 and follows the pose in the timeline. But not when draping.

• Aave NainenAave Nainen Posts: 1,108

Aave Nainen said:

jakiblue said:

I have sent an update for the Genesis 3 Female version of Belle dress to PC, hopefully it will be updated quickly.  Whether or not PC chooses to provide dForce settings for it is up to them.

Please grab the scene file on Sharecg that I uploaded this morning and grab the dForce settings for Boho dress from it.

Thanks I did grab the scene file for Boho Dress from shareCG applied a pose and as long as i worked in that scene file it didn't crash.

Then I tried saving it as a simulation preset and reopened DS. I Ioaded a Boho Dress on Genesis 3; applied 'Add dforce modifier: Dynamic surface"  Applied the pose to Gensis 3 and using  the saved Boho dress preset ran a simulation. The simulation started but crashed part way through. I'm begining to get very frustrated.

Just a thought, have you run the "Update and Merge Menus" script since installing latest version of Studio?

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,635

Aave Nainen said:

jakiblue said:

I have sent an update for the Genesis 3 Female version of Belle dress to PC, hopefully it will be updated quickly.  Whether or not PC chooses to provide dForce settings for it is up to them.

Please grab the scene file on Sharecg that I uploaded this morning and grab the dForce settings for Boho dress from it.

Thanks I did grab the scene file for Boho Dress from shareCG applied a pose and as long as i worked in that scene file it didn't crash.

Then I tried saving it as a simulation preset and reopened DS. I Ioaded a Boho Dress on Genesis 3; applied 'Add dforce modifier: Dynamic surface"  Applied the pose to Gensis 3 and using  the saved Boho dress preset ran a simulation. The simulation started but crashed part way through. I'm begining to get very frustrated.

Just a thought, have you run the "Update and Merge Menus" script since installing latest version of Studio?

yes

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Same here, Charlie Judge. I rolled back the driver for my 960 and just constant crashes. haven't been able to complete any simulation at all.  

jakiblue said:

Loaded up Victoria 7. Loaded the Boho skirt and top. Selected the top and added "dforce modifier: dynamic surface". Did the same with the skirt. 

Posed V7 and then hit "simulate". 

Immediate crash of DS, along with message that driver had stopped worked etc etc. 

So did I do something wrong, or something else happen?

edit: i updated to latest driver tonight. this is error message i get when DS crashes. 

I'm about to give up. I rolled my GTX 970 driver back to 387 and I still keep getting crashes like that using Victoria 7 with Belle Dress and  add dynamic surface modifier applied to the dress.

Edit: Also the same with BoHo Dress. Grrr!!!

what is this "update and merge menus" script? where is it located? Is it something that is necessary for using dForce? 

Aave Nainen said:

jakiblue said:

yes

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    jakiblue said:

what is this "update and merge menus" script? where is it located? Is it something that is necessary for using dForce? 

Aave Nainen said:

jakiblue said:

yes

It's under Scripts->Utilities in the Content Library.  Presumably somewhere similar in Smart Content.

thanks! found it. :) 

jakiblue said:

Aave Nainen said:

jakiblue said:

yes

It's under Scripts->Utilities in the Content Library.  Presumably somewhere similar in Smart Content.

Aave Nainen said:

jakiblue said:

I've uploaded a fresh scene file for Boho Dress to get rid of error it was throwing re:a character morph it was looking for. If you decide to give it another go just slide animation to frame 30 and replace the pose with the one you want. Try saving the simulation surface settings as a materials preset instead of saving a simulation preset, the simulation settings are all at default values in the scene so a simulation preset isn't needed, just a materials preset.

Is there a good tutorial for the simulation settings found under the surface tab? I'm interested in the stiffness and dampening settings. What prevents a cloth from "tearing"? Will it allow skirts to move up the thigh if the physics engine allows it?

Artemis Moon dforce'd. smiley

Artemis Moon dForce test.png
    1620 x 2880 - 4M
    y3kman said:

Is there a good tutorial for the simulation settings found under the surface tab? I'm interested in the stiffness and dampening settings. What prevents a cloth from "tearing"? Will it allow skirts to move up the thigh if the physics engine allows it?

If you set up wearing figure and ground plane as dForce Static Surface you can then go to surfaces and reduce Friction as low as it will go.  Adjust the Friction on the garment surfaces you want to be slippery (skirt) to lowest possible as well.  The skirt will then slip and slide more realistically into those extreme poses. Shown is Genesis 3 Female wearing MeriMay Dress.

MeriMay_Classical Dance.JPG
    671 x 773 - 43K
    y3kman said:

If you set up wearing figure and ground plane as dForce Static Surface you can then go to surfaces and reduce Friction as low as it will go.  Adjust the Friction on the garment surfaces you want to be slippery (skirt) to lowest possible and reduce Bend Stiffness as well.  The skirt will then slip and slide more realistically into those extreme poses. Shown is Genesis 3 Female wearing MeriMay Dress.

Here is a scene file to demonstrate the above: https://www.sharecg.com/v/89697/view/21/DAZ-Studio/MeriMay-Dress_Classical-Dance_G3F_dForce

• jakiblue said:

thanks! found it. :) 

jakiblue said:

Aave Nainen said:

jakiblue said:

yes

It's also in the Window>Workspace menu now.

edited October 2017
    y3kman said:

If you set up wearing figure and ground plane as dForce Static Surface you can then go to surfaces and reduce Friction as low as it will go.  Adjust the Friction on the garment surfaces you want to be slippery (skirt) to lowest possible as well.  The skirt will then slip and slide more realistically into those extreme poses. Shown is Genesis 3 Female wearing MeriMay Dress.

Thanks, gonna try that friction setting later. Speaking of the dForce Static Surface, I have a problem with that. Some of the clothes I tried (eg. Artemis Moon) refuses to slide off a chair with that modifier. The "strands" keep on clipping/passing through the chair and yet the simulation still works.

Post edited by y3kman on
    y3kman said:
    y3kman said:

Thanks, gonna try that friction setting later. Speaking of the dForce Static Surface, I have a problem with that. Some of the clothes I tried (eg. Artemis Moon) refuses to slide off a chair with that modifier. The "strands" keep on clipping/passing through the chair and yet the simulation still works.

Check to be sure you didn't turn Visible in Simulation to Off on the chair after applying dForce Static Surfaces modifier.

• LeanderLeander Posts: 56
    edited October 2017

Hi guys, I've only just got to downloading dForce but have run into problems. I've loaded G8F, dressed her in the Bardot outfit, and then applied a pose.

I press 'Simulate' and a box pops up saying 'It appears that the dForce kernels... have not been compiled' and offering to do it.

I click 'Yes' and a processing box comes up for several minutes, at the end of which I get the message ''Error initializing opencl kernels'. (Screenshots of messages attached)

I am not a techie person. What does this mean and how can I get dForce to work? Thanks in advance for any advice anyone has...

screenshot1.png
    780 x 440 - 137K
    screenshot1.png
    613 x 325 - 84K
    Post edited by Leander on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,305
    edited October 2017

Stephanie 8 wearing Bardot dress.

Steph08sc03pic02.jpg
    960 x 1080 - 467K
    Post edited by Artini on
    Leander said:

Hi guys, I've only just got to downloading dForce but have run into problems. I've loaded G8F, dressed her in the Bardot outfit, and then applied a pose.

I press 'Simulate' and a box pops up saying 'It appears that the dForce kernels... have not been compiled' and offering to do it.

I click 'Yes' and a processing box comes up for several minutes, at the end of which I get the message ''Error initializing opencl kernels'. (Screenshots of messages attached)

I am not a techie person. What does this mean and how can I get dForce to work? Thanks in advance for any advice anyone has...

If you check out the "Start Here" it shows the dependencies re: open cl and explains how to get the right version.

• LeanderLeander Posts: 56
    edited October 2017

If you check out the "Start Here" it shows the dependencies re: open cl and explains how to get the right version.

Thank you for coming to help! I'm obviously being a total idiot, sorry - where is the 'Start Here'? Is it something in the forums or should something have downloaded to my content library? Huge apologies to be so dense. 

**Edited** I think I've found it - in the DAZ Studio discussion forum, right?

Post edited by Leander on
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,482
    edited October 2017
    Leander said:

I asked the same question in one of these threads. I was told to just click it and allow it to do its thing.

EDIT: Sorry, I should have looked at the second attached image before posting.

Post edited by marble on

Okay... I'm stumped...

Granted, I haven't tried painting weight maps or anything, but ... how do you get a belt (for example) to cinch a waist?  the belt is a separate item of clothing (and in the case I'm working on, not even for this garment.  I tried defining it as a static dForce object and shrinking it, but it cut through the fabric of the tunic I was trying to cinch.  And calling it a dynamic just resulted in the inevitable buckles and buttons flying off.

If it's been covered in this thread, a link back to the relavant post will be fine. :)  I could easily have missed it.

• LarryadLarryad Posts: 35
    edited October 2017

Even though this was a dForce dress, the outfit would blow up on me with this pose. I've discovered that basically if a finger hand or thumb punctures the cloth, the outfit will blow up. A work around is to put another pose on the timeline a few frames before the end frame with the appendage slightly pulled back. Once the fabric has cleared the hand and the fabric is nearly conformed, the hand will then basically push the fabric in. Hope that makes sense.

Flapper Final2.jpg
    3300 x 2929 - 1017K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

Okay... I'm stumped...

Granted, I haven't tried painting weight maps or anything, but ... how do you get a belt (for example) to cinch a waist?  the belt is a separate item of clothing (and in the case I'm working on, not even for this garment.  I tried defining it as a static dForce object and shrinking it, but it cut through the fabric of the tunic I was trying to cinch.  And calling it a dynamic just resulted in the inevitable buckles and buttons flying off.

If it's been covered in this thread, a link back to the relavant post will be fine. :)  I could easily have missed it.

I have some ideas, but I've never tried it. What are the clothing products? If I have them, I can play and see if I can come up with something for you.

L'Adair said:

Okay... I'm stumped...

I have some ideas, but I've never tried it. What are the clothing products? If I have them, I can play and see if I can come up with something for you.

The tunic is the Elven Warrior overtunic refit to G3F, and the belt is the belt and bag from Vagabond - which already needs some twisting and tweaking to fit properly over the tunic as conforming.

• Okay... I'm stumped...

Have you tried an animated drape, with a non-dynamic belt starting out ovesized and shrinking back to normal? You'd have to position it by eye rather than dynamically.

Okay... I'm stumped...

Have you tried an animated drape, with a non-dynamic belt starting out ovesized and shrinking back to normal? You'd have to position it by eye rather than dynamically.

Yep.  That was the Static object attempt.

Now, admittedly, I have the belt Fit To rather than parented, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    L'Adair said:

Okay... I'm stumped...

The tunic is the Elven Warrior overtunic refit to G3F, and the belt is the belt and bag from Vagabond - which already needs some twisting and tweaking to fit properly over the tunic as conforming.

Good. I have both of those. Off to see the wizard... be back in a bit.

L'Adair said:
    L'Adair said:

Okay... I'm stumped...

Good. I have both of those. Off to see the wizard... be back in a bit.

I'm going to say thanks for even trying.  Hopefully you can come up with something. :)

What's a good looking male wardrobe to showcase the dforce engine? Looking at my product library, I'm just limited to capes, a kilt, and open shirts.

Kilt.jpg
    493 x 877 - 104K