Daz 3D Introduces dForce Physics Engine

Comments

• Chohole said:

Is there anyone here who has used D force and can walk me through the steps on how to use it? As usual Daz is Horrible at documentation

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/203081/dforce-start-here

Text only doesnt help me as I am a visual learner 

• FirePro9FirePro9 Posts: 456

Any tips on getting the dForce Wind  Node to work?  I got a simple plane to drop ontop of a sphere and drape very nicely, just can't seem to get the wind node thing to work.  Thanks!

• Chohole said:

Is there anyone here who has used D force and can walk me through the steps on how to use it? As usual Daz is Horrible at documentation

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/203081/dforce-start-here

Text only doesnt help me as I am a visual learner 

Did you not see Leana's reply:

Leana said:

So how do i use this?? is there a tutorial i can watch anywhere?

• y3kmany3kman Posts: 765

I think my program got broken. After getting multiple errors, I can't "paint" the influence weights using the node weight map brush anymore. How do you fix this?

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited October 2017
    y3kman said:

I think my program got broken. After getting multiple errors, I can't "paint" the influence weights using the node weight map brush anymore. How do you fix this?

Make sure the material zone is selected. Right-click for the popup menu. Scroll down to Geometry Selection->Select By->Surface->[material Zone you want to paint]

Now can you "paint the influence"?

ETA: Also, did you reboot, (Close and reopen,) DS?

Post edited by L'Adair on
    edited October 2017
    FirePro9 said:

Any tips on getting the dForce Wind  Node to work?  I got a simple plane to drop ontop of a sphere and drape very nicely, just can't seem to get the wind node thing to work.  Thanks!

1. If you don't already have a wind node in the scene, go to the top menu and click on Create. Scroll down to and click on New dForce Wind Node…
    2. Select the Wind Node. (Click on it in the viewport, or in the Scene tab.)
    3. Using the tools you are familiar with, move the Wind Node into place, (with the fan blades pointing at the object you want to affect.)
    4. With the Wind Node selected, go to the Parameters tab.
    5. In the left column of the Parameters tab, locate "Wind" and click on it. There you will find five options:
      • Strength (mph)
      • Diameter
      • Diameter Falloff
      • Falloff Start (m)
      • Falloff Length (m)
    6. Like a camera or spotlight, Wind Node displays lines in the viewport to show what will be affected by changing the settings, (except for Strength.)
    7. If you have trouble seeing the lines in the viewport, you can adjust their visibility in the Display section of Parameters.
    Post edited by L'Adair on
  • Mr PAFMr PAF Posts: 32
    y3kman said:

Try this.

Window\ Workspace\ Update and merge menus

I had the same problem  (I think).

• Another fun video for you 

• DAZ_Steve said:

Another fun video for you 

"Where does he get those wonderful toys?"

• FirePro9FirePro9 Posts: 456
    L'Adair said:
    FirePro9 said:

1. If you don't already have a wind node in the scene, go to the top menu and click on Create. Scroll down to and click on New dForce Wind Node…
    2. Select the Wind Node. (Click on it in the viewport, or in the Scene tab.)
    3. Using the tools you are familiar with, move the Wind Node into place, (with the fan blades pointing at the object you want to affect.)
    4. With the Wind Node selected, go to the Parameters tab.
    5. In the left column of the Parameters tab, locate "Wind" and click on it. There you will find five options:
      • Strength (mph)
      • Diameter
      • Diameter Falloff
      • Falloff Start (m)
      • Falloff Length (m)
    6. Like a camera or spotlight, Wind Node displays lines in the viewport to show what will be affected by changing the settings, (except for Strength.)
    7. If you have trouble seeing the lines in the viewport, you can adjust their visibility in the Display section of Parameters.

Thanks, I found my error, the plane primitive I created was not responding to the wind node.  Finally figured out I had to flip the plane 180, didn't realize these things were 1-sided.   The Winds are about to blow!

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    DAZ_Steve said:

A few handy tips;

1. Speak. More. Slow. Ly. I can'tunderstandyou when you suddenlytalkfaster. I don't have a very good ear for some American accents, which isn't helping.
    2. Don't just say "click on this tool here", say which tool it is. I don't recognise what they all look like by sight.
    3. Why are you going up to the top menu for various things like SubD? Much easier and faster to use the Scene Pane (which I always have visible) Options menu.
    4. Maybe just personal preference, but I can't easily read the sideways pane labels, which slows down my understanding of what's happening. I'm old-fashioned, I've recreated as closely as you've let us the old Classic UI layout.

That said, an interesting look at what's possible with the new toys. Looking forward to the weekend, when I hope I'll have a chance to install 4.10 and start playing.

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882

Well, that's interesting.

I was working on a test and I'd bent a toe in a way that the shoe didn't want to follow, so I hid it - all of a sudden, nothing would follow the figure.  I wound up repositioning the toe.

I wonder if it's related to the problem with Geografts...

• sapatsapat Posts: 1,735

I'm not able to find out how to use the settings for gravity and air.  Where are examples of different settings and what they do?  Is there any step by step tutorial that goes through what each feature is, what some good settings are, and gives a couple examples of those settings?

It's one thing to watch a dforce tutorial and have someone that's pointing and clicking in a video that's kind of blurry on my screen, they talk too fast, I can't quite understand everything they're saying, and quite another to have one that's instructional on the tools and settings and some examples.

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882

I know this should go without saying - but save often.  I've had three crashes so far, and the last one I'm 95% certain was because my computer was tired of DS hogging so much memory.

of course this was after something like my 8th simulation run with four different dynamic items (the MFD, Overskirt 1, Long oversleeves, and a primative set up as a veil)

• DAZ_Steve said:

A few handy tips;

1. Speak. More. Slow. Ly. I can'tunderstandyou when you suddenlytalkfaster. I don't have a very good ear for some American accents, which isn't helping.
    2. Don't just say "click on this tool here", say which tool it is. I don't recognise what they all look like by sight.
    3. Why are you going up to the top menu for various things like SubD? Much easier and faster to use the Scene Pane (which I always have visible) Options menu.
    4. Maybe just personal preference, but I can't easily read the sideways pane labels, which slows down my understanding of what's happening. I'm old-fashioned, I've recreated as closely as you've let us the old Classic UI layout.

That said, an interesting look at what's possible with the new toys. Looking forward to the weekend, when I hope I'll have a chance to install 4.10 and start playing.

Interesting; I wasn't aware that those menu options were there in the scene pane, which may be why he used the upper menus for adding SubD.

• Well my old computer may or may not be able to use d-Force, but when I get 4.10 installed I'll give it a go. Am waiting to see how many bugs are in the new build. Would love to be able to have 4.9 and 4.10 installed, but have been unable to find anything telling whether that is possible or not, and if it is, how it is done. I do want to be able to use d-Force, as from the videos I watched, it looks easier than the Poser Cloth Room and the Optitex Dynamic Cloth engine for DAZ Studio. Also, Optitex has a very limited library of cloth products available, some for sale and some free, and has not been updated for as long as I have had DAZ Studio. I see d-Force as taking things a lot further, which I have been hoping for for quite a while.

Well my old computer may or may not be able to use d-Force, but when I get 4.10 installed I'll give it a go. Am waiting to see how many bugs are in the new build. Would love to be able to have 4.9 and 4.10 installed, but have been unable to find anything telling whether that is possible or not, and if it is, how it is done. I do want to be able to use d-Force, as from the videos I watched, it looks easier than the Poser Cloth Room and the Optitex Dynamic Cloth engine for DAZ Studio. Also, Optitex has a very limited library of cloth products available, some for sale and some free, and has not been updated for as long as I have had DAZ Studio. I see d-Force as taking things a lot further, which I have been hoping for for quite a while.

If you would like to keep your 4.9 install, use the 4.10 beta. The two programs are installed to separate folders. It isn't possible to have two release versions on the same computer, but a release and a beta will work just fine. In fact, that's how my computer is set up now. (If you've never used the Beta, you will need to "purchase" it from the store, for free, and you will need to use the DIM to install it.)

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,967
    edited October 2017
    L'Adair said:
    y3kman said:

Make sure the material zone is selected. Right-click for the popup menu. Scroll down to Geometry Selection->Select By->Surface->[material Zone you want to paint]

Now can you "paint the influence"?

ETA: Also, did you reboot, (Close and reopen,) DS?

Not seeing this option, unless I am being more dim than usual!  I didn't have the 'add dForce ...' on the context menu (but the remove was there!) and got that fixed with teh update/mereg menu option.  Still no 'Geometry Selection' option in pop-up menu though.  dForce is great, but ye gods the optionsare all over the place - am I looking in the right place?  In SUrfaces tabe, righ-click ona material zone and I get a pop-up menu with various selection options.

Ok, found the selection - missed the select geometry editor tool step!  Now all I need to do is find how to paint the influence ... I think I saw something in one of th eotehr threads ...

And found it! I  Instead of ploughing through the forums I recalled that @Sickleyield had posted a youtube link for a tutorial by Mada which covered it, so all sorted!

Post edited by SimonJM on
  • beachlegsbeachlegs Posts: 483
    Luv Lee said:
    Mada said:

There's a surface adjuster that is quite fun to experiment with for different cloth effects :) click image for larger view

Do you know if this can be used on earrings, bracelets, buttons, belts, stuff like  that???

Can I please ask where do I get the dress from I cant find it.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,305
    edited October 2017
    Lavana03pic02.jpg
    860 x 1080 - 266K
    Post edited by Artini on
    beachlegs said:
    Luv Lee said:
    Mada said:

There's a surface adjuster that is quite fun to experiment with for different cloth effects :) click image for larger view

Do you know if this can be used on earrings, bracelets, buttons, belts, stuff like  that???

It's part of the dForce Starter Essentials, which you should have already installed. I just shut down my render computer for the night, so I'm going on memory, but I'm pretty sure the Bardot outfit is for Genesis 8. Load G8F, select her, open Smart Content, scroll down to and select Wardrobe. Now search for "Bardot". Alternately, you can go to the Product Library, open My DAZ 3D Library, scroll down to and open People, scroll down to and open Genesis 8 Female, scroll down to and open Clothing. From there, you'll have to search for it. It may be under Bardot, and easy to find. If it's under the vendor's name first, you'll have to check each vendor under Clothing until you find it.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited October 2017

Loaded up Victoria 7. Loaded the Boho skirt and top. Selected the top and added "dforce modifier: dynamic surface". Did the same with the skirt. 

Posed V7 and then hit "simulate". 

Immediate crash of DS, along with message that driver had stopped worked etc etc. 

So did I do something wrong, or something else happen?

edit: i updated to latest driver tonight. this is error message i get when DS crashes. 

dforceerror.jpg
    466 x 105 - 31K
    Post edited by jakiblue on
  • beachlegsbeachlegs Posts: 483
    edited October 2017
    L'Adair said:
    beachlegs said:
    Luv Lee said:
    Mada said:

It's part of the dForce Starter Essentials, which you should have already installed. I just shut down my render computer for the night, so I'm going on memory, but I'm pretty sure the Bardot outfit is for Genesis 8. Load G8F, select her, open Smart Content, scroll down to and select Wardrobe. Now search for "Bardot". Alternately, you can go to the Product Library, open My DAZ 3D Library, scroll down to and open People, scroll down to and open Genesis 8 Female, scroll down to and open Clothing. From there, you'll have to search for it. It may be under Bardot, and easy to find. If it's under the vendor's name first, you'll have to check each vendor under Clothing until you fi

Thank you my friend I have missed something for sure it is not there going to download again and hopefully it will show up....Thank you :)

Edited to fix quote

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • jakiblue said:

Loaded up Victoria 7. Loaded the Boho skirt and top. Selected the top and added "dforce modifier: dynamic surface". Did the same with the skirt. 

Immediate crash of DS, along with message that driver had stopped worked etc etc. 

edit: i updated to latest driver tonight. this is error message i get when DS crashes. 

People were reporting that 388 wasn't working at all - you might try rolling back (to 387?). I think someone did have the Boho top working - indeed, I think I used it in the beta.

• Artini said:

Nice one Artini!

• LiquidWarehouseLiquidWarehouse Posts: 128
    edited October 2017
    dForce is a bit crash happy, and once it does go have to restart Daz again, I was hoping this would be a but more stable after Beta. Having said that results are good when it doesn't throw a tantrum.
    Post edited by LiquidWarehouse on
  • Aave NainenAave Nainen Posts: 1,108
    jakiblue said:

The GTX780 I had before did that constantly, I was able to get the card to stop crashing by going into my Windows settings and setting to good quality instead of best.

When using Boho Dress you'll want to set Bend Stiffness to .15 on all surfaces and paint a node weight map onto waistline of the underskirt to keep it from sliding down. Turning smoothing back on after running sim is also helpful. I've uploaded a scene file to Sharecg with Boho dress settings. https://www.sharecg.com/v/89681/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/dForce_Boho-for-Genesis-3-Female

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

how do you roll back a driver? I d/l and install via the geforce thingy - is the one before 388 available on the site perhaps? 

jakiblue said:

People were reporting that 388 wasn't working at all - you might try rolling back (to 387?). I think someone did have the Boho top working - indeed, I think I used it in the beta.

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 8,307
    edited October 2017
    jakiblue said:

how do you roll back a driver? I d/l and install via the geforce thingy - is the one before 388 available on the site perhaps? 

jakiblue said:

Grab the one you want from this page

Post edited by DoctorJellybean on