Tlaloc For M4 (Update : DS-Specific MATS Now Available)

Comments

• GranvilleGranville Posts: 690
    edited December 1969

Is he based on the Aztec Rain God?

• edited May 2013

Actually, no, he's not. The name is, however, a Nahautl name that means "of the Earth," and it was one of the names that the Aztec Rain god was called, yes. In this case it is actually his surname.

He is a roleplaying character of mine, and his name is actually Nathan Falling Eagle Tlaloc. I chose the name for him because of it's meaning. Story-wise he is a mixed-blood Hitchiti native. The Hitchiti indians are generally believed to have Mayan and possibly Aztec Ancestors in the far distant past, and if one looks at older examples of their art, there are many style similarities. The same can be said of their older forms of housing and other traditional architecture as well. (I am actually working on a model of an older pre-1800's hut as well, and will probably do one of the mounds to go with it.

They are part of the Creek nation in Florida and Georgia, and fall under the Muscogee group of indians. His name was chosen because as a character, he is very outdoorsy and Earth-centered.

Does that help explain it?

Post edited by Seliah (Childe of Fyre) on
  • frodifrodi Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'd be willing to test for you, but don't know how good I am at testing the Material Files.

• edited December 1969

frodi said:
    I'd be willing to test for you, but don't know how good I am at testing the Material Files.

Sure. I'd appreciate it. I wouldn't ask you to make the Studio mats - it's nothing like that. I just would need you to load up an M4 and try applying all of the files. And then do a render or two (does NOT have to be anything complicated, even just the figure on an empty scene), and check the way he looks. What I'm looking for is things like.. too high of a bump (does the skin look like dried and cracked leather?), things like that, inside of Studio.

Poser's version of bump and displacement needs lower values on the dial than Studio does. (I have learned this after using characters who were initially made with Studio settings - Unicornst's "Nicholas" for one, I have to dial the bump value down a bit or the skin renders up looking like sandpaper.)

IF I am able to make Studio-specific MATs, then I would just need you to apply all the files and make sure everything applies correctly, and then check how he looks on render.

If I am NOT able to figure out how to make Studio-specific MATs, then what I would need in a Studio tester is someone to load him up, apply the texture settings, and render him, and then let me know if his skin looks like it has too much bump or too little, or if anything fails to apply to him inside of Studio.

I will be doing my own QA check of him on my system, but.. I am not very Studio-fluent yet (lol), and it never hurts to have one or two folks check something over before I throw him up for general release.

When I have him zipped up enough for the quick test (*sigh* Still fighting with the hand seam issue), I'll send you a private-message with a download link in it.

Thanks!

edited December 1969

Yes, I can do that. I have done some testing before and I'm happy to do this one for you Seliah.

• GranvilleGranville Posts: 690
    edited December 1969

Thanks Seliah for giving the back ground on the character. I find him very intriguing. I am always excited to Aztec inspired characters.

• edited December 1969

Frodi - thank you very much! I will let you know via PM when I have him ready to test.
    'Chelle - same for you as well. I'll get a download link to you through one of our ways. Probably the DevArt notes, though. LOL

Paris - I'm glad the explanation helped. The character is interesting to play and write for. He's still fairly new to us, which is why this package happened in the first place. I was setting out to do his first image, and I just wasn't happy with anything I was finding in the way of scars, as Nathan is quite scarred, and has a couple of rather distinct ones on his face especially. Lack of acceptable (for this character) male textures, combined with a severe lack of M4 freebie skins, and, well... as I started making his texture, I just decided to stick my head in here and see if anyone would be interested in him when he's done.

And for the rest of ya'll, here's one more test render. No wounds. Just the scars... better lighting, and a little better camera angle as far as showing things, I think. Still fighting with the hand seams on the wounded texture. I really wanted at least a little something on his hands, but the seams are not cooperating. I really, REALLY hate the way the blasted texture templates were laid out for the Gen4's.

Anyway - little test/preview here with the scars. The shirt is from the Cold Life set. The holster and pistol are from the M4 Bad Guy set. Jeans are from the Midnight Hunter set. Watch is from the WatchesForMen (Rendo). Headband and choker are from the M4 Cheyenne set. (I set the feathers/etc invisible on the headdress, leaving just the headband itself.) I think the wristband on his right wrist is from Vince Bagna... I think.

Tlaloc07.png
    800 x 1000 - 711K
  • edited May 2013

I just wanted to post an update. I finally have the seam issue fixed, and am making the morph INJ/REM files now. =) It shouldn't be much longer.

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,419
    edited December 1969

A very nice character! I'll grab him as soon as he's released.

• edited December 1969

I wanted to post an update here to explain why it's taking so long. I am running into difficulty with the morph files. They work on a first application, but applying an REM file, then attempting to re-apply one of the INJ files fails to work. I do not know why yet. If I apply the Elite INJ, then the REM, it works. But attempting to apply the Morphs++ INJ will fail to apply correctly afterwards, as well as trying to re-apply the Elite INJ. Same thing happens in the reverse. It happens in both Studio and Poser.

I have no idea what's causing this, and I've tried re-making the morph files as well. I get the same wonky behavior. At this point that is the only thing holding all of this up. Texture MATs are made, textures are finalized, thumbnails for those are made. It's just the INJ/REM files misbehaving. I can't release it until they are functional. I've never run into this sort of issue before, so I really am at a loss on this.

Once I can get the morphs sorted, I can pack him up and send him on his way.

Texture-wise, what I'm noticing in Studio is that D/S seems to have a much higher specular effect on the skin when rendered. I have not used any displacement or Poser procedural settings on him. But Studio definitely renders with more specularity on the skin.

Anyway - that's where this is at. I'm just fighting with the INJ/REM files here...

• caine collincaine collin Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Good to hear you're still working on it, as for the morph issue, sorry I'm of no help there :(

• edited December 1969

Well, I'm still trying to get it sorted. Maybe I should release it as separate packages, one for the Elite/H4 morphs, and one for the Morphs++, and list a disclaimer about the wonky behavior between the two. I dunno! I'm going to try a post in Nuts and Bolts first, and see if any of the techie wizards over there can help.

• edited December 1969

Alright. I'm giving up on the morphs issue. For the life of me I can't figure this out. I do not normally do this as I am by nature something of a perfectionist when it comes to my work. But I am going to zip up what I have here with the disclaimer that if you apply one set of morphs and want to use the other set...be aware that you will need to delete the M4 and load a new one into your scene in order to do so. *sighs*

This really irritates me. I do NOT like releasing a product that does not work exactly as it should. But I have tried everything I can, including a post to nuts-n-bolts which also has garnered absolutely no solution. So in the interest of getting him out, I will zip him up as is. Just please be aware that if you need to switch between the Elite/H4 and the Morphs++ versions, you will need two M4's to do it, or you will need to delete one M4 and load a new one in.

If I can ever get the INJ/REM file issue sorted out, I will certainly update his file and announce it. I do apologize for the wonky morph behavior. But I just cannot figure out what the heck the problem is, and no one else seems to be able to either.

I'll be zipping him up today and tomorrow and getting him uploaded ASAP.

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,419
    edited June 2013

Most important for me is the skin. I don't care much about morphs as I prefer to do my own.

Post edited by caravelle on
  • edited December 1969

Update:
    Almost done packing him up! If all goes well, he should be up tonight or tomorrow!

No DS specific mats yet, nor warpaint. Will release them as add-ons as I get them done.

DS Users Note:
    You will need to adjust his specularity. I find that DS applies a maxed specularity value to his skin.

• edited December 1969

Alright! I've got him posted up on my website.
    http://www.childeoffyre.com

Click on the splash image, and then click on "Characters" in the LEFT HAND side navigation menu. Thumbnails all load in the right frame. Just please remember the caveat/disclaimer about the morphs issue. I can't figure out how to fix it yet, and no one else seems to know what's causing the problem, either! LOL

I think the Elite/H4 and Morphs++ versions are close enough visually (I did the best I could to match the shapes up between them) that it may or may not really matter in the long run. It's just a pet peeve of mine to release something with a known issue in the working (or misbehaving in this case) files!

I will also be updating the first post with this/update thread title to reflect the fact that he IS posted on my website. Eventually, I'll get him posted to ShareCG, and I'll supply that link as well once I have him up there. For now, though, you can definitely grab him off of my website.

I attached the thumbnail you'll be looking for on the characters page on the website.

Package Contents :
    8 Eye Textures
    4 Limbs Textures
    4 Torso Textures
    4 Head Textures
    1 Lash Transmap
    1 Teeth/Gums Texture
    PNG Thumbnails

Elite/H4 INJ/REM for the head
    Elite/H4 INJ/REM for the body
    Elite/H4 INJ/REM for both at once
    Morphs++ INJ/REM for the head
    Morphs++ INJ/REM for the body
    Morphs++ INJ/REM for both at once

1 Base Texture MAT (apply this first!!)
    8 Eye MAT poses
    4 Body (from neck down) MAT poses
    3 Scar Partial MAT poses (Arms, Legs, Torso)
    6 Wounded Partial MAT poses
    ----Arms NO Scar
    ----Arms With Scars
    ----Legs NO Scar
    ----Legs With Scars
    ----Torso NO Scar
    ----Torso With Scars

4 Head MAT poses
    ---- Base Head (no scars, no wounds)
    ---- Scars
    ---- Wounds-Only
    ----Wounds With Scars

Tlaloc-th.jpg
    200 x 200 - 14K
    edited December 1969

Awesome! can't wait to try it out when I get back home :D

• edited December 1969

And for those who dislike my website navigation, Nathan is now up on ShareCG as well.

You can find him over there at this link:
    http://www.ShareCG.com/v/69762/view/11/Poser/COF-Nathan-Tlaloc

Caine Collin:
    Enjoy him, and have fun with him. I am probably going to do more for M4, now that I think I have the general idea of how. Mike is so neglected, he needs some attention! LOL

edited June 2013

Cannot find a file for "/Runtime/Libraries/!DAZ/Michael4/Deltas/Morphs++/InjDeltas.SCLHeadsize.pz2".
    And,
    Cannot find a file for "/Runtime/textures/vyktohria/Donovan/vykdon_FACE01.jpg".

Apart from that he loads well and looks great.

Post edited by frodi on
  • edited June 2013

Shoot! Alright. Let me sort it. The headsize is part of Morphs++, it's under the 'morphforms' thing on the head. I don't know what happened with the texture. Let me go back in and fix that. Sorry!

• edited December 1969

Alright - I've checked all of the MAT files, it looks like it's just three of them. Not sure what happened there. I might have just forgotten to clear out the eyebrow texture as I tend to habitually simply set the part to not be visible anyway, as no matter what you do in the material room, the stupid thing leaves a shadowy-something behind in the render.

Anyway - I've cleared out those texture nodes and re-saved the MAT files with the corrected texture nodes.

I'm not sure what to tell you on the HeadSize thing. I'll double check it, but the last thing I knew, the HeadSize was part of the Morphs++ and it's "Morphforms", and you should have those INJ and REM delta files in your folder structure if you have the Morphs++ package.

Alright - I'll upload the corrected zip/etc in the morning. But I've got the texture references fixed at this point. LOL

edited June 2013

Frodi are you using Mophs ++ ? I used the H4/Elite ones didn't get anything other then the texture reference for an error, which oddly only occurred on one of the MATs lol

anyway, looks great, and I'll be playing with it most of today, while contractors are working in my house :D

Post edited by caine collin on
    edited December 1969

Yes, I use the morphs ++, will have another play tomorrow. Not a big problem, but thought I would let Seliah know. I love Tlaloc.

• edited December 1969

Frodi-
    Maybe try re-installing your Morphs++ package? Those files SHOULD be there if you have Morphs++ installed. There should be an InjDeltas.SCLHeadsize.pz2 and an RemDeltas.SCLHeadsize.pz2 in that folder. All I can suggest is a re-install of Morphs++ to prevent that error.

Thank you for letting me know about the bad texture references. I appreciate being told. They could not be fixed if I did not know it was there. I will have the zip file updated shortly, and will post to let folks know once it's up.

Caine Collin-
    I don't know if Studio works this way, but in Poser, if there is a bad reference call for a texture, and I tell it to "ignore" it, then any further MAT files I load that call for that same faulty texture reference will simply ignore it silently, without notifying me through an error dialogue. I went through all of my MAT files to check on this, though, and it was only three of them - the base texture mat, the non-scarred head mat, and the scarred head-mat. Somehow, I seem to have avoided making the same mistake with the two wounded head mats. When Frodi mentioned it, I went about checking ALL of them, just to be safe. That's how I found all three. LOL

• edited December 1969

Alright - I've uploaded the corrected files now. Please re-download the zip file and re-install the Base Texture, Head NO Scar, and Head Scar mat files to avoid the bad texture reference errors. =)

Both the download from my website, as well as ShareCG have been updated to fix the issue. Thank you Frodi!

edited December 1969

All working as well as I hoped. Thanks Seliah.

• edited December 1969

Frodi,

I will take that to mean there are no further texture errors. Are you still getting errors about the morph INJ file on the HeadSize? And/or did you try to reinstall your Morphs++?

edited December 1969

The textures have now no errors. The morph INJ file on the HeadSize also works when I tick "stop asking". No problem really. I did not reinstall the Morphs++.

• edited December 1969

Very strange behavior as far as the Deltas go. But I'm glad he's working for you. Hope you have fun with him. =) I'm going to go try to sort out how to do Studio mats now... so you folks don't have to constantly tweak his specularity and stuff every time you load a MAT.

edited December 1969

He is a very nice figure Seliah.