mcjNewCastle - The long awaited final version of the Castle prop

Comments

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

The new skylights look good. Adds a little something more to the look of the castle. :coolsmile:

• mCasualmCasual Posts: 4,605
    edited March 2014

maybe tomorrow ... castle beta ... maybe maybe
    ( i moved walls so the castle looked fine but needed a lot of readjustments (

fig 2 another deconstruction / reconstruction

bytheby.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    maybetoday.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 490K
    Post edited by mCasual on
    edited December 1969

Rubs hands together in anticipation. :coolsmile:

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157
    edited December 1969

Me too! Can't wait to load and play!

edited December 1969

workrd a bit on the uv mapping and the "frontons" / skylights

lette.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    edited December 1969

version 12 of the castle -- so i did a whole lot of uv mapping and fixed this and that ( chineys even ) , gave names to things and materials and normally i'm aaaaaaaaaaaalmost at the packaging phase ...

brightkightsinamyscastle.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 371K
    edited December 1969

Looks AWESOME. Really nice Casual!

• michellecelebriellemichellecelebrielle Posts: 264
    edited December 1969

This looks amazing, i can't wait to see it for myself when it's released :)

edited December 1969

rumours in the street are that today will be the day ( for a first version ) !

who knows maybe version 2 may have accessories

look at the nice castle in Assassin's Creed !!!

the nerve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLcjwqXATIM

edited December 1969

Casual said:

WOOT!!! That last "promo" looks so nice with the lights on inside. Makes it feel "homey", if that's even possible in a castle. :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    Casual said:

WOOT!!! That last "promo" looks so nice with the lights on inside. Makes it feel "homey", if that's even possible in a castle. :coolsmile:

the chimneys stop on the attic floor ( to give you more options for interior decors )

but on my site there's an animatable fireplace which could go well in the castle

https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts2/mcj

the last touch today is, i add baseboards trims to the walls ( they can be made invisible )

then turn all this into props

andthelivingiseasysmall.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 156K
  • Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,697
    edited December 1969

Casual said:
    Miss B said:
    Casual said:

the chimneys stop on the attic floor ( to give you more options for interior decors )

but on my site there's an animatable fireplace which could go well in the castle.

The truncated chimneys would bug the mess out of me like a zero-thickness wall, but I tend to be the guy who makes sure a man's expression and cigarette are right when his back is to the camera. Looks nice!

edited December 1969

[quote author="Eustace Scrubb" date="1395519036" ... ...

the chimneys stop on the attic floor ...

one of the chimneys would gp right through the stairs
    which may explain why the stairs are in the corners in the real castle :)

this was all supposed to be a quick and dirty castle without stairs, without too much effort about fidelity to the real-life castle
    ---

new baseboards trimmings which look a bit flat but are not

bb.jpg
    1280 x 640 - 299K
    edited March 2014

baseBoards ... next version will have different ones

bb2.jpg
    1280 x 640 - 233K
    edited December 1969

yer basic wall/ceiling crown mouldings

crown.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 584K
  • SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384
    edited March 2014

You never cease to impress, J. Impressive work.

A comment on the chimneys: I spent some time rummaging around the net after following this thread with great interest. Essentially I was curious about the interior of the real chateau, and was hoping to find a floor plan or at least lots of interior shots. Given the high profile that the place enjoys, I was surprised at how little information on the construction and interior there was. Lots of exterior shots, but little inside. From what I did find, in particular a partial walk-through video (confined largely to the front of the first floor), it seems obvious that there have been extensive renovations over the years. I could see no evidence of either hearths or fireplaces where they should have been. This led me to assume that they had been walled over at some point, being replaced with central heating. Also, the black-and-white shot of the stairwell not only shows that much of what must have been the original marble on the floors and starcases is gone, when compared to the more recent colour photo. Even the orientation seems to have changed somewhat, although maybe that's just vertigo on my part.

Anyway, thanks for the fascinating diversion! The actual model will be a bonus!

Edit: I should have paid closer attention - the second, colour shot of the stairwell is from Versailles, not Sceaux, which I would have known if I had followed your link. :(

Post edited by SixDs on
    edited December 1969

Oh real nice. It's those finishing touches that really make something like this amazing. :coolsmile:

edited March 2014

* Beta * Release ** yay * Beta * Release ** yay * Beta * Release ** yay * Beta * Release ** yay * Beta * Release ** yay
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

and Here's a first Version of the Castle !!!

it's one piece with no movable parts

... i wanted to meet me deadline ... so it's a rush thing

the stairs are also built in and not removable

but very soon the "real" versions will follow

255000 faces ... i

==========> https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts3/mcjcas

my deadline was "today" and it's only 11:57 pm!

----------

figure1 - Hardware render

fogure 2 - you noticed there's a darkening on the ground/lawn/gravel prop
    this will be fixed in the next release
    in the meantime you can get a patch prop
    it covers the problem
    i added it at the bottom of the download page
    here's a direct link https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts3/mcjcas/nugroundz.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

nug.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 2M
    12h.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    edited March 2014

SixDs said:
    You never cease to impress, J. Impressive work.

A comment on the chimneys: I spent some time rummaging around the net after following this thread with great interest. Essentially I was curious about the interior of the real chateau, and was hoping to find a floor plan or at least lots of interior shots. Given the high profile that the place enjoys, I was surprised at how little information on the construction and interior there was. Lots of exterior shots, but little inside. From what I did find, in particular a partial walk-through video (confined largely to the front of the first floor), it seems obvious that there have been extensive renovations over the years. I could see no evidence of either hearths or fireplaces where they should have been. This led me to assume that they had been walled over at some point, being replaced with central heating. Also, the black-and-white shot of the stairwell not only shows that much of what must have been the original marble on the floors and starcases is gone, when compared to the more recent colour photo. Even the orientation seems to have changed somewhat, although maybe that's just vertigo on my part.

Anyway, thanks for the fascinating diversion! The actual model will be a bonus!

Edit: I should have paid closer attention - the second, colour shot of the stairwell is from Versailles, not Sceaux, which I would have known if I had followed your link. :(

i think i saw a photo where we can see a fireplace ....
    lets see ...

( note i released a first version of the castle just now )

a whole lot of photos here http://www.ytraynard.fr/2013/08/domaine-de-sceaux/

more than 1 building on the grounds though

DSC00331.JPG
    1024 x 768 - 156K
  • caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,418
    edited December 1969

WOW! Even this version is amazing, wonderful, great! I installed it immediately. Thank you very much for this generous gift!

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Many, many thanks. Now to find the time to enjoy your new gift to us.

edited March 2014

A few useful numbers

the castle is built on a grid of cells which are 5 units wide

the door-windows and wall panels are 5 units wide

the floor-to floor distance is 31 units

the stairs have a tread of 1.6667 and a rise of 1

the castle prop uses a scale of 1900%, i.e. 19 cm per unit which

so stairs have a tread 12.5" of rise of 7.5"

12,5 +7.5 = 20

for comfortable stair climbing we'd want

tread + climb = 17

so you could scale the prop by a factor of 17/20 or 85%

the first floor is at zero level, so re-scaling did not affect its altitude

to bring the castle's ground-level floor to Y=0, we apply a Y translation of

31 * 19 * 85% = 500.65

( while doing this i noticed the stairs handrails were left in an unfinished state .... they'll look better in the new version )

abb.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 668K
    aba.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 619K
    notabene2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 904K
    notabene.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 822K
    edited December 1969

Such a perfectionist. Looks really good!

edited December 1969

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! Downloaded and installed into my DS 3A, though I'm sure it'll work the same if I had installed it into DS 4P.

Will try it out in Poser 9 as well, and hopefully have some renders for you to see. :coolsmile:

edited March 2014

Miss B said:
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!! Downloaded and installed into my DS 3A, though I'm sure it'll work the same if I had installed it into DS 4P.

Will try it out in Poser 9 as well, and hopefully have some renders for you to see. :coolsmile:

welcome!

note that some surfaces are inside out
    so in poser's preview they will be invisible i guess
    and in daz studio, some shaders will come out as black
    in the next version ill do that extra step before publishing

i'm always using DS3A since DS4.x regularly crashes on me ( possiblu an interaction with the windows magnifier or AMD cpus )

-----

random unrelated image attached for no reason

mcja3bootpromo1.jpg
    800 x 1600 - 107K
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Thank you! :-)

edited March 2014

Casual said:
    Miss B said:

welcome!

note that some surfaces are inside out
    so in poser's preview they will be invisible i guess
    and in daz studio, some shaders will come out as black
    in the next version ill do that extra step before publishing

i'm always using DS3A since DS4.x regularly crashes on me ( possiblu an interaction with the windows magnifier or AMD cpus )
    AHA!!! That's why I got a rather strange render a little bit ago in P9. OK, that explains a lot. :coolsmile:

I rendered it in DS 3A (my workhorse as it were), and the only thing I had to tweak was the ambient. For Poser, black at 100%, for DS 3A it didn't work, so I found a light tan color and it worked better. Lit it up so well I only had to add one distant light at 50% for ambience.

The first render is the front, and the second one is the back. BE SURE TO CLICK TO SEE FULL SIZE!!!

mcjCastle1-Front.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 251K
    mcjCastle1-Back.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 249K
    Post edited by Miss B on
    edited March 2014

OK, I loaded it up in DS 4.0 Pro, and with the same distant light for ambience, it looks exactly like the DS 3A renders I posted above.

The one thing I did notice, however, was I didn't need to load nugroundz. It rendered just fine with the original groundz. So I went back to my DS 3A and made the nugroundz invisible and rendered, and the ground was fine. I guess when I changed the ambient to a tan color, it took care of whatever was causing that shadowy area to show up when the ambient color was black.

Oh, and FYI, in case you're interested, the ambient color I used is Red - 170, Green - 148, and Blue - 141.

Post edited by Miss B on
    edited December 1969

The only thing that's making me wonder though B is that the ground and rock ground coverage should probably be tiled smaller if this is a tiling map Casual used. Those rocks are HUGE compared to the stairs! Lady could break her heel tripping on all that! LOL

edited December 1969

yes it's supposed to be sand/gravel and it's seamlessly tilable

Chateau_de_Sceaux,_Paris,_France-11Feb2011.jpg
    1920 x 1280 - 356K