mcjNewCastle - The long awaited final version of the Castle prop

Comments

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    The only thing that's making me wonder though B is that the ground and rock ground coverage should probably be tiled smaller if this is a tiling map Casual used. Those rocks are HUGE compared to the stairs! Lady could break her heel tripping on all that! LOL
    Yes, I thought the same thing.

yes it's supposed to be sand/gravel and it's seamlessly tilable

Good. That will make a big difference on the ground plane.
    edited March 2014

OK Rich, I re-rendered, and this time I had to add back the nugroundz, but I tiled the "lawn" at 8 / 8 and the "gravel" at 10 / 10 for both the main castle and the nugroundz. This looks MUCH better. :coolsmile:

Edited to add: I re-rendered the back view as well, and it looks good. :coolsmirk:

BE SURE TO CLICK TO SEE UNSQUISHED.

mcjCastle1-Front.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 235K
    mcjCastle1-Back.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 230K
    Post edited by Miss B on
  • mCasualmCasual Posts: 4,605
    edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    OK Rich, I re-rendered, and this time I had to add back the nugroundz, but I tiled the "lawn" at 8 / 8 and the "gravel" at 10 / 10 for both the main castle and the nugroundz. This looks MUCH better. :coolsmile:

Edited to add: I re-rendered the back view as well, and it looks good. :coolsmirk:

yes tis better!

the texture is probably usable as a bump map

i found it by googling

free seamless gravel texture

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157
    edited December 1969

WOOT. Tis good, tis vedy vedy good!

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

well after a month - how does it look in a scene

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

bigh said:

Barely 2 days, hardly a month yet lol ...

edited December 1969

bigh said:

Barely 2 days, hardly a month yet lol ...

month to make the model :roll:

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Yes, a short time considering how complex it is I agree. :coolsmile: Did you say thankyou to Casual for finishing it so quickly?

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Yes, a short time considering how complex it is I agree. :coolsmile: Did you say thankyou to Casual for finishing it so quickly?

I'm not smoking any right now :P

• TjebTjeb Posts: 507
    edited December 1969

Dear Jacques,

while your castle may be LOW-POLY, the cost of maintaining a property the size like this is extremely HIGH. (image 1)
    Almost at the point of selling the castle, I got the ingenious idea to convert it into a hotel.
    With my last Pennies I bought a desk and a state of the art elevator and went into business. (image 2)
    It is now a very succesfull "Chatautel".
    Rated with many Michelin Stars only the Rich and Famous stay here,
    not the poor. (you know: the ones that shop at shareCG and the like).

(Thanks for creating and sharing this).

AckemorEntry.jpg
    800 x 800 - 94K
    AckemorLobby.jpg
    800 x 800 - 78K
    AckemorMaintenance.jpg
    800 x 800 - 161K
    edited December 1969

well i did a lot of things in that month ( like the louis XV table and the curvy stairs ) ,
    Since the initial post had renders of the castle, maybe it took zero days to make the model

currently finishing the handrail/frames/mouldings builder script which will let daz users build an infinity ( small infinity ) of things, maybe whole castles

maybetoday.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 490K
    edited March 2014

tjeb said:
    Dear Jacques,

while your castle may be LOW-POLY, the cost of maintaining a property the size like this is extremely HIGH. (image 1)
    Almost at the point of selling the castle, I got the ingenious idea to convert it into a hotel.
    With my last Pennies I bought a desk and a state of the art elevator and went into business. (image 2)

this all looks great ! hey come to think of it maybe someday it will be used in the monthly freebies challenge !

i'll try to make the next version very versatile, for instance you'll probably be able to load only half a Chatautel

and offer discounts to clients that have their beds near the open wall

ontopofthings.jpg
    1024 x 576 - 167K
    Post edited by mCasual on
    edited December 1969

Casual said:
    well i did a lot of things in that month ( like the louis XV table and the curvy stairs ) ,
    Since the initial post had renders of the castle, maybe it took zero days to make the model

currently finishing the handrail/frames/mouldings builder script which will let daz users build an infinity ( small infinity ) of things, maybe whole castles

I know exactly what you mean. I am friendly with a couple of PAs and I know just how much work goes into making a model, and how long it can take. I just get a wee bit peeved when some don't seem to realise this, or appreciate the work that you are putting in.

edited March 2014

chohole said:
    ... how long it can take...

the initial model is usually blindingly fast to make, so i should probably post pre-beta versions at the onset, because they're usable and people dont have to wait so long

---
    an attempt at making cube trees

SIENABEACH.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 429K
    cuboid.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 137K
  • SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384
    edited December 1969

I'm not sure whether anyone else is interested or not, but I have ploughed ahead with my "research" into the interior of the building. I have managed to uncover a few things. First, thanks for pointing out the fireplace in the Grand Salon, Casual. I don't know how I could have missed that. I have managed to discover two more - a similar one in the north wall of the dining room just north of the rear entrance on the west side, and a smaller one on the north wall of the first room on the west side off the staircase on the second floor.

BTW, RAMWolff, you had asked early on if there were elevators. Actually, there is one - a small service elevator located in the stairwell of the main staircase, adjacent to the service stairs!

I notice that you have referred to the western entrance in some posts as being the main entrance, Casual. In the actual chateau this is technically the rear entrance/exit. It is an easy assumption to make and I did so myself initially, as many of the pictures are taken from the terraced Park of the Four Statues. But the main entrance is between the wings on the east side, which is also the one that is used today. This makes sense, since carriages would be able to pull up to the doors on this side. The other entrance would have been used primarily for the Duchess and her guests to access the western park/gardens. Not that any of this matters necessarily, and its certainly not a criticism, just a point of interest.

As for my search for the interior floor plans, that has proven to be somewhat problematic, as there were obvious changes made between selecting a final design (for the original building) and the completed construction. Much like your modelling project. :) The final design drawings were much as the chateau is today, but several floor plans were offered by the architect. Unfortunately, for me at least, it is quite evident from the available photos and videos that substantial changes were made during construction to these original concepts. For example, the main staircase was originally to go immediately to the north of the main entrance vestibule on the east side, and was to spiral upwards counter-clockwise. The staircase we see in the building today was obviously located at the north end and spirals clockwise upwards to join the hallway at the end on the second floor. Many interior, non-loadbearing walls had also been envisioned, but these were either discarded prior to construction, or were subsequently removed. There were also two service entrances planned, on the north and south ends, but the northern one was apparently abandoned.

Anyway, short of becoming completely obsessed with details (Oops, too late!), once I have floorplans that are as accurate as I can determine (without actually making a trip to France!), I'll post them if anyone is interested.

And maybe I'll even find some time to actually have some fun with your model along the way. :)

Thank you once again.

(BTW, who said :"If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong"?)

edited December 1969

On another note, wouldn't it be great if some of the Brycearios would take on recreating the Park? Cho? You still there? :)

edited December 1969

LOL yes I am still hanging around.

I have been following this thread with interest. Maybe it would be possible, given time.

• jeeperzjeeperz Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

this building is so cool Casual, Will you be doing it for us Poser users too??? i hope I hope... I don't use DS :(

edited December 1969

jeeperz said:
    this building is so cool Casual, Will you be doing it for us Poser users too??? i hope I hope... I don't use DS :(

That of course would be another problem for me, as I also don't use DS Sean Riesch is both a Brycer and a DS user.

edited December 1969

SixDs said:
    ...... floorplans ....

in the archives of the museum there are some documents but nothing very precise
    the (real life ) castle's roof was renewed 1 or 2 years ago at great cost
    -- bet the roof contractors were given the detailed updated plans

vue-interieure-sceaux.jpg
    382 x 524 - 76K
    edited March 2014

jeeperz said:

it's a Poser prop actually

though i didn't try it yet in poser .... lets see ... i have a plain vanilla poser 9 .... i suspect many parts will be invisible because they are inside out ... not bad !

next version wont have invisible walls

well guess i'll make a second beta version that addresses the main issues ... notably the openability of the doors

Render_1.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 105K
    itsok.jpg
    1326 x 694 - 160K
    edited December 1969

there are some documents but nothing very precise

Yes, I have those. The main problem is that many of the annotations are virtually indiscernable on the scans unfortunately. After more than 150 years I suppose it would be too much to expect otherwise. Plus, as I mentioned earlier, changes were obviously made after those original drawings. But they are a good starting point. I guess I need to keep in mind the title of your thread here and remember it is only intended to be "like" the Chateau de Sceaux, and not an exact reproduction.

That staircase still bedevils me. Every new picture I see seems to suggest that I have it wrong in my mind. I'm beginning to wonder if there is more than one.

edited December 1969

beta 2 will have improved ( though removable ) wall crown trims

trimmins.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 879K
    edited December 1969

SixDs said:
    there are some documents but nothing very precise

Yes, I have those. The main problem is that many of the annotations are virtually indiscernable on the scans unfortunately. After more than 150 years I suppose it would be too much to expect otherwise. Plus, as I mentioned earlier, changes were obviously made after those original drawings. But they are a good starting point. I guess I need to keep in mind the title of your thread here and remember it is only intended to be "like" the Chateau de Sceaux, and not an exact reproduction.

That staircase still bedevils me. Every new picture I see seems to suggest that I have it wrong in my mind. I'm beginning to wonder if there is more than one.

part of the confusion is that there's more than one building, the Orangerie looks great

yes i didn't work too hard on making it identical to the original, the idea was that it would save me time, it would all be done quickly, said the man ( the man whose name wont be spelled out for some reason ) , for instance i wanted the balconets to be real balconies, so i placed the floors at the bottom of the door-windows

----
    The initial castle that "Le grand Colbert" lived in, which was demolished and sold in pieces by some wine merchant

Chateau-sceaux-colbert.jpg
    1024 x 374 - 124K
    edited December 1969

Casual said:
    Miss B said:

yes tis better!

the texture is probably usable as a bump map

i found it by googling

free seamless gravel texture
    Oh, now there's an idea. I hadn't thought about using it as a bump map too. Hmmmm, will try that out in a bit.

I was actually thinking of Googling for another gravel texture, perhaps in the beige/brown color range so it would look more "paved" when I tile it. I'll let you know if I succeed. :coolsmille:

edited December 1969

tjeb said:
    Dear Jacques,

Nice renders tjeb. I especially got a kick out of the first one with the crane and platform near the corner to make it look like it's under construction/maintenance.

The other renders look good as well. :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

Casual said:
    jeeperz said:

it's a Poser prop actually

though i didn't try it yet in poser .... lets see ... i have a plain vanilla poser 9 .... i suspect many parts will be invisible because they are inside out ... not bad !

next version wont have invisible walls

well guess i'll make a second beta version that addresses the main issues ... notably the openability of the doors
    Yes I have it installed in my DS 3A, but I accessed it easily with Poser 9, and your second render is pretty much what I see as well (see attached), so I'll be playing with it in DS 3A or DS 4P for now.

Hmmmm, now that it's been mentioned, I'm going to throw it over to Bryce from DS and see how it renders there. At least just out of curiosity. :coolsmirk:

CLICK TO SEE IT UNSQUISHED!!

mcjCastle1-Front-Ps.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 108K
    edited March 2014

OK, couldn't find the type of gravel image I wanted, so I opened Filter Forge and found a cobblestone filter I liked. I played with the the color and lightness some, and this is what I came up with.

BE SURE TO CLICK TO SEE UNSQUISHED!!

mcjCastle1-Front.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 235K
    mcjCastle1-Back.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 230K
    Post edited by Miss B on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157
    edited December 1969

Like that allot better B! :-)

• TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 736
    edited December 1969

Sweet, here are a few quick renders in octane.

CasualCastleCapture2.JPG
    1026 x 572 - 123K
    CasualCastleCapture1.JPG
    1032 x 574 - 126K
    CasualCastleCapture.JPG
    1025 x 579 - 122K