Erté 1920's dresses - all 4 in the series uploaded!

perlkperlk Posts: 854
edited June 2022 in Freebies

I am embarking on something relatively ambitious... a long time ago when I was around 8, someone (it may have been a souvenir my dad brought back from a business trip) gave me a book of paper dolls with dress designs from the famous art deco designer, Erté. I loved it and immediately cut them all out and had fashion shows, etc. It was the start of my interest in historical fashion. 

In thinking about things to model, I thought about this book and wondered if there was any info out on the internet about it - and there is! https://gabipaperdolls.blogspot.com/2012/08/erte-fashion-paper-dolls.html

I decided to try my hand at modeling some of them. There are four in the series:

Ninon's pink dress uploaded at https://www.deviantart.com/perlk/art/Free-Erte-inspired-dress-for-G8F-917915256

Lison's green dress is uploaded at https://www.deviantart.com/perlk/art/Free-Erte-inspired-dforce-dress-2-for-G8F-918159070

Odette's gray coat, rust colored dress, hat, and 2 scarves uploaded at https://www.deviantart.com/perlk/art/Free-Erte-inspired-dforce-clothes-3-for-G8F-918660527

Claudette's strapless party dress, shoes, and necklace uploaded at https://www.deviantart.com/perlk/art/Free-Erte-inspired-dforce-clothes-4-for-G8F-919088011

erte.png
1500 x 2121 - 4M
erte2-promo.png
849 x 1200 - 1M
Post edited by perlk on

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,036
    edited May 2022

looks like an awesome project heart

and link fixed

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Silver DolphinSilver Dolphin Posts: 1,606

Nice look foward to your work. Too much of the same stuff all the time.

• AOBBAOBB Posts: 957

Sounds absolutely awesome and impressive! yesyes

• SapphireBlueSapphireBlue Posts: 876
    edited June 2022

Oof, I LOVE those styles and designs. heart Totally second what AOBB said! What a wonderful project. Those designs look gorgeous, and so does your first model of them. Best of luck! yes

EDIT: I had to immediately think back to a  series I absolutely loved for its gorgeous 20's fashions - The House of Eliott.

Picture

Post edited by SapphireBlue on
  • perlkperlk Posts: 854

@SapphireBlue I don't know that show! I'll have to look it up. I love period dramas!

I uploaded Ninon's dress at https://www.deviantart.com/perlk/art/Free-Erte-inspired-dress-for-G8F-917915256 - let me know if anything wonky happens. It's probably the most complex piece of clothing I've modeled and there's bound to be poke-through, explosions or weirdness.

• ShadowBox24ShadowBox24 Posts: 184

Hi Perlk, 

I just had to log-in to say WOW, WOW, WOW! .......fantastic job on the Erte 1920s dress.  

If your looking for more inspirations checkout Dover Publications they have a lot of books on fashion and paper doll fashion too.  Keep up the good work - proud of what your doing.

Much luv Barbz xx

PS. I love the Egyption dress and made a couple of hairstyles and a crown, I'm just working out were to have them to be downloaded Rendero or in Daz freebies section.

I was going to suggest if you could make a 40s/50s Coat Dress with big 3/4 sleeves and three big buttons - I use to have a couple when I was younger, until MOTHER decided to throw them away, as she didn't want 2nd hand clothes in her house ..smiley

edited June 2022

perlk I'm a period drama nut too. That show is from the early 90s - I watched it a long time ago. It's about 2 sisters starting their own fashion house in the 1920s - so lots of beautiful dresses! laugh

Thanks for including the copyright holder details - it's handy know if needed. I'm a fan of Dover Publications - I seem to have a lot of their lovely coloring books. : )  But I have to check out their fashion books ShadowBox24!

Okay, so I just couldn't resist. Instead of working on my to-do list, I decided to try out the dress. Just messed around with re-shading the dress a few times for fun. Just a great unique dress. Great work on it perlk!! heart (Oh, just realized I forgot the necklace, darn it!)

A rising star of the talkies (old photo)

A rising star of the talkies (color)

Link to the images in the gallery

ShadowBox24 said:

Hi Perlk, 

I just had to log-in to say WOW, WOW, WOW! .......fantastic job on the Erte 1920s dress.  

If your looking for more inspirations checkout Dover Publications they have a lot of books on fashion and paper doll fashion too.  Keep up the good work - proud of what your doing.

Much luv Barbz xx

PS. I love the Egyption dress and made a couple of hairstyles and a crown, I'm just working out were to have them to be downloaded Rendero or in Daz freebies section.

Need....Egyptian...Hair... :-)

Glad you like, Barbz :-)

ShadowBox24 said:

I was going to suggest if you could make a 40s/50s Coat Dress with big 3/4 sleeves and three big buttons - I use to have a couple when I was younger, until MOTHER decided to throw them away, as she didn't want 2nd hand clothes in her house ..smiley

Send me a couple of pics, I'll add it to my list :-)

SapphireBlue said:

perlk I'm a period drama nut too. That show is from the early 90s - I watched it a long time ago. It's about 2 sisters starting their own fashion house in the 1920s - so lots of beautiful dresses! laugh

Thanks for including the copyright holder details - it's handy know if needed. I'm a fan of Dover Publications - I seem to have a lot of their lovely coloring books. : )  But I have to check out their fashion books ShadowBox24!

Okay, so I just couldn't resist. Instead of working on my to-do list, I decided to try out the dress. Just messed around with re-shading the dress a few times for fun. Just a great unique dress. Great work on it perlk!! heart (Oh, just realized I forgot the necklace, darn it!)

A rising star of the talkies (old photo)

A rising star of the talkies (color)

Link to the images in the gallery

I love this so much. What hair is that?

Also, Barbz, I just looked at the paper dolls section of Dover Publications... I see so much inspiration here!!!!

edited June 2022

perlk said:

I love this so much. What hair is that?

Thanks perlk! The hair is Vilma hair.

Okay, I wanted to use your original textures with the nice bright pink and black, ended up with this, which was fun!

LI - Perlk Erte Dress NPR.jpg
    700 x 700 - 681K

Wonderful work, @perlk ! You are a great modeler and you have great taste too! I personally love Erte, so this is a real treat! heart

@SapphireBlue - your renderings are fantastic as usual. yessmiley

It's great to see your talents flourish...

Cheers,

AOBB

@perlk - I forgot to mention that I downloaded the Erte-style dress. Thank you! smiley

Thank you AOBBheart

I think I might have to start an AOBB fanclub and perlk fanclub! laugh Lovely classic faces and lovely classic dresses. I'm having a lot of much fun with this, like a piglet in a mud puddle! Hahaha

@SapphireBlue - I LOVE that render! Adorable - so so cute!

Thanks about Vilma - I'm off to buy it :-)

@AOBB - you're welcome!

• BronzeDragonBronzeDragon Posts: 381

Incase you never heard of them, here are a couple of tv shows that might be of interest as they are period shows from the same general time, shown on Ovation tv (Home (ovationtv.com ): These and other shows (both peroid and more modern) are available on the Mystery Alley

Murdoch Mysteries - set in early 1900's in Toronto (reruns Tues mornings, new episodes Sat at 7:00 - When run for the first time) - currently running season 15

Frankie Drake Private Detective - set 1920' in Toronto all reruns no new shows, two episodes at 12:00 Eastern US time on Mon, Tues, Thrus, and Fri (4 seasons)

Miss Fisher Mysteries - set in 1920's Austraila - was on Wed morning but is not there now, I think it can be gotten on the web site, but not sure (3 seasons)

My wife watches them all the time, even the reruns.

@BronzeDragon - I've never heard of Ovation TV - awesome!!!! I'll check them out. Thanks for the tips!

edited June 2022

Still in progress, but I'm almost done with Lison's dress.

@SapphireBlue - I love Vilma hair...it looks perfect with this style.

erte2-promo.png
    849 x 1200 - 2M
    Post edited by perlk on
    edited June 2022

perlk said:

Oh wow perlk! Yes, that hair is a gorgeous hair - I love it too. That dress is gorgeous. You've modeled it gorgeously and your render is gorgeous too! A whole lot of gorgeousness!! laugh I can't believe you're nearly finished with it. So quick! Super impressive. Ever since you mentioned that the green one was next, I already started thinking up renders with it... laugh

SapphireBlue said:

perlk said:

Oh wow perlk! Yes, that hair is a gorgeous hair - I love it too. That dress is gorgeous. You've modeled it gorgeously and your render is gorgeous too! A whole lot of gorgeousness!! laugh I can't believe you're nearly finished with it. So quick! Super impressive. Ever since you mentioned that the green one was next, I already started thinking up renders with it... laugh

And I can't wait to see them! This is super fun for me. So any time I have a break at work I end up looking at it. Modeling hasn't started interfering with my housework or child-rearing... yet... It takes me on average a couple of days to model it in Hexagon. Maybe a few hours to get it working in Daz. 

• BronzeDragonBronzeDragon Posts: 381
    edited June 2022

I goofed, the show is Frankie Dake Mysteries, not what I wrote before.

Just another suggestion that popped up. I've been using computers since the mid '70s and the internet since the mid '90s and I didn't think of this one. To obvious, or I'm dumber than I thought. My son, computer and math degrees, suggested that I just do a search on google images. That way you get a still image, much easier than a fleeting moving image. ("miss fisher" costumes female) shows a large number of pictures. Can substitute other show names and get similar results. Might work for movies too.You can even use the name of a character to just get those rather than all. So simple, so dumb!!!!!!

This search worked too.  (womens fashion sears catalogs 1920s) - just change the year set if needed.

Thought it might help.

By the way, the dresses are great (as are AOBB's morphs).

Just checked, it does work for other shows and movies. Tried Downton Abby, Thin Man, Yankee Doodle Dandy, PBS tv movies Agatha Christy.

Post edited by BronzeDragon on

Wow @perlk - your new dress is fantastic and looks like it was hell to make - so detailed! I love your rendering with it too! smiley

perlk said:

And I can't wait to see them! This is super fun for me. So any time I have a break at work I end up looking at it. Modeling hasn't started interfering with my housework or child-rearing... yet... It takes me on average a couple of days to model it in Hexagon. Maybe a few hours to get it working in Daz. 

Glad to know you're having fun with this! I checked out modelling clothing in hexagon a while back. One of these days, I might have to give it a go... But time!! It's so hard to find more of it... You're definitely working in a more responsible way. I'm pretty sure DAZ is totally interfering with my work, housework and kids stuff on some level. Oh, and sleep... crying Especially the shopping during big sales... blush

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,492
    I would just like to add my encouragement, and one further thing: my utter amazement at how beautifully all this is going. Clothing and figures seem utterly beyond my abilities and you're making them look so easy. I know there is a huge amount of work in there, but regardless of the work I'd put in, I'd never reach the superb results you're getting. So, I'm sitting here on the sidelines cheering your amazing work, wishing I could contribute more but knowing that's not going to happen. Regards, Richard.
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,305

Just amazing project and the thread.

@Perlk Still in progress, but I'm almost done with Lison's dress

Hi Perlk, 

I've got no words to say apart from ....STUNNING!! - Plus I wouldn't mine a dress like that for myself..LOL,

I can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Bx

Hi SapphireBlue

I love both of your images, keep knocking out those fantastic work of art...heart I can't wait to see what you'll do next!

B