Free procedural Iray shaders! WOO!

Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,957

http://www.sharecg.com/v/83593/view/7/Material-and-Shader/Will-Timmins-Procedural-Shaders

Considering the range of this product, I hope you consider donating something on par with other shader packs.

Comments

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,464

Thanks, Will. I'll be sure to check them out.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,957

Please let me know if anyone has trouble installing this. It should be really straightforward.

• MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,955

Looks good, it seems it is time for me to update DS and try that Iray new things :). Thank You.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

Cheers Will; not downloaded yet, but I noticed you were considering releasing them for free.

• NoName99NoName99 Posts: 322

Thanks Wil, these look pretty useful.  I just downloaded and donated, should be able to try them out later tonight. 

Thank you!

Another thing I'm hoping to do is try to figure out how to get elevation or 'curve' shading effects, like 'X channel for stuff on peaks/valleys.' I was also interested in trying to do something projection based, but decals do that job decently already.

• EsemwyEsemwy Posts: 578

Sweet! Thanks, Will. I'll be digging into these soon. 

• JeremyDJeremyD Posts: 265

Sweet, thanks! Going to check these out

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664

Could explain a bit more "procedural"?

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,386
    Scavenger said:

Could explain a bit more "procedural"?

Basically the shader is not based on 2D images maps applied to your model but computed by an algorithm. So for example it won't depend on how you have UV-mapped your model.

edited January 2016

Specifically, it uses a Perlin noise generator, which is frequently what, say, Photoshop and other apps use to generate 'cloud' effects.

So, for example, applying one of the shaders to a body, there are no seams (provided all the zones use the same settings). I've found it useful for Four Arms and other geografts... there is a smooth flow from body to geograft, provided the actual geograft is flush with the surface.

You don't get UV stretching and other issues you can run into when slapping new textures on models.

The Readme explains what the various values do... in fact, I'll link it.

txt
    txt
    WTP Shaders Readme.txt
    Post edited by Oso3D on
  • Do you think these could convert to 3DL?

--MW, not an Iray user

Nope.

Mind you, it would probably not be very hard to do a different set of shaders in 3DL. I might give it a try, I've been on a 3DL revival kick recently. There may already be a number of shaders that do that. Hrm.

• Thanks 

• JimbowJimbow Posts: 557

This is a fantastic addition to the shaders and many thanks. I just quickly tried it out on an object and was impressed. The only problem I have is I use Round Corners Radius (I suspect a much ignored iray feature) a lot in my setups to add a touch of bevel to sharp edges and corners, and your setup seems to delete that option in the editor. Is there any chance you can restore that option if you ever get the chance? Alternatively, can anyone point me to how to restore it myself? I can't stress the difference Round Corners Radius can make to a suitable object when it comes time to render (eye socket blending into the eye moisture like real liquid, or slightly bevelled edges on wall corners). Cheers.

Huh, I didn't even notice that. I'll see what I can do.
     And thanks for mentioning, because that's a feature I hadn't paid any attention to.

For the curious, one of the peculiarities of Shader Mixer is that it only imports shader elements that are 'active.'

For example, if I don't have Emission set to anything, it will import a shader missing all emission-related stuff. So I had to make sure to set Emission color to white, import the shader, then set it back to default black so that people can use the emission.

I'll have to do something similar for Round Corner Radius. I'm HOPING I can just add a brick or two to the existing stuff... if not, it's going to be a pain (but I'll do it, because hey)

Thanks, Will. I guess if you were ever going to update the shaders at any point then that'd be the time to do it. I'm feeling a bit ungrateful with my whinge :/

No worries! I tried to make sure everything in the shader was preserved... I will do what I can.

Unfortunately, I just poked at the shader and 'round corners across materials' is not behaving. I can't seem to import it into shader mixer. Hopefully there's something simple I'm missing.

• Thanks timmins.william!!!  I will check them out.

I'll be very curious to see what people do with these. There are a lot of potentials and I really feel like I only just started scratching the surface.

Hey, if anyone wants to really protest encryption, show the value of free trade of ideas and donate for stuff like this shader... <.<

(Although if you are going to donate anything, donate to Wilmap. Amazing stuff and service to the community)

• Lovely , thank you very much.

Jimbow: Sorry, I just... have no idea where that option exists, or how to capture it in the shader. :/

I'm guessing it's some module that isn't accessible through mixer.

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,667

Thanks so much I really needed some new shaders!!!

Can't wait to try them out :D

• Thank you very much.

• Thank you!

Jimbow: Sorry, I just... have no idea where that option exists, or how to capture it in the shader. :/

I'm guessing it's some module that isn't accessible through mixer.

Oh well, thanks for trying and a pity your time was wasted :( 

It is odd, though, because it's accesible in the Mental Ray MIA Advanced shader (given I can kind of emulate iray shader functionality in XSI's Mental Ray Advanced Material shader). Probably a DS implementation issue.

Many thanks for looking.

• JerifeJerife Posts: 272
    edited May 2016

Hi Will! I have you on my watch in DA so I had been seeing a lot of your tests of shaders I did'nt know existed and thinking Wow! those could be good for terrains.

So yesterday in one of those "what do I learn now moments"  I googled WTP shaders and found this thread and your freebie on ShareCG.

First of all THANKS A LOT! The shaders are impressive and as I thought a must for terrains. There's a lot to learn and try on them but I went directly to terrains and rocks to see if I was right in my guess.

Your shaders are applied here as geoshells over the three main rocks in the middle plane and also over Stonemason's terrain.

Excellent work! Thanks again

WTP 08 redux.jpg
    3000 x 1854 - 6M
    Post edited by Jerife on