Free procedural Iray shaders! WOO!

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,957

Quite welcome, glad you are enjoying it!

I'm working on a new version, though I'm somewhat struggling with direction and ... coming up with a decent name for it. WTP is kind of uninspiring. ;)

What I think the new version will be is noise governing refraction weight and color, bump, and cutout. Then, with cutout, you can layer to your heart's content to create various noise effects. Like two different settings for metal (add scuff marks) and so on.

So, for anything refractive, you'd use refraction color noise and maybe bump. For anything else, you can do cutout (since cutout normally shuts off volume effects).

My other option is adding options to turn on noise for... everything. But I think that'll be confusing... still on the fence, though. Might be cool to be able to do a lot of stuff with a single surface.

New shader will have two different Perlin noise settings plus a Worley noise setting and two different blend settings (each blend will allow you to select two of the noises and how to blend them).

Some examples of new thing (with different names as I debate)

WTZ Eyeman.jpg
    1080 x 1080 - 777K
    WTP Master test1.png
    1080 x 1080 - 2M
    WTP2 ball3.png
    1080 x 1080 - 2M
    WTP2 Zombietest.png
    1080 x 1080 - 1M
  • JerifeJerife Posts: 272

I would love to follow all you are saying instantly but I need time to digest it. But as you talk about blending the noises I remembered a great shader AoA made for Carrara and gave us as freebie. It was a Multi Channel Mixer with two sources ruled by... a curve.  

He demoed on an old door mixing old painture and the wood behind and you ruled the distribution with a curve. Beatiful variations. Wonderful shader I've used a lot!

Coming back to your shaders, I will ask you questions here as I try them.

Thanks again

I found the link. Tools are different but concepts the same. Wish to learn those tools here in DS too! 

Lol! I've seen your 4 images now surprise. I'm going against my wallet and this freebie thread but those new shaders deserve to be a paying product!

edited May 2016

Yeah, I'm hoping to make the new shader a pay product. The freebies got me $20 in donations over the past few hundred downloads, so... while I'm not doing this to be rich (or even pay anything close to minimum wage), it'd be nice to get SOMETHING.

Also, in a weird way you get more notice if it's a paid product. I think my freebies can do some amazing things and it's disappointing how few people have found out. ;)

The Blend thing allows you to use various Photoshop-like layer blend modes. I'll try to come up with a good example...

Post edited by Oso3D on

Here's an example. Noise pattern 1, 2, and then using the option to blend them (in this case, softlight, with the mix skewed toward pattern 1)

Blend example.jpg
    1920 x 640 - 859K
    edited May 2016

Yeah, I'm hoping to make the new shader a pay product. The freebies got me $20 in donations over the past few hundred downloads, so... while I'm not doing this to be rich (or even pay anything close to minimum wage), it'd be nice to get SOMETHING.

Also, in a weird way you get more notice if it's a paid product. I think my freebies can do some amazing things and it's disappointing how few people have found out. ;)

The Blend thing allows you to use various Photoshop-like layer blend modes. I'll try to come up with a good example...

Lol, I will bump this thread with all my questions till everybody in the free section knows them. 

TIP When you use the shaders for terrain with geoshells it is necessary to subdivide the object to avoid straight lines and polygons showing. Also that makes water collision with terrains credible.

WTP 01 redux.jpg
    3000 x 1854 - 6M
    Post edited by Jerife on

I would love to have a clear idea of the shaders you already gave us. As in cathegories and what they do and what are the differences between them.

edited May 2016

Heh, sure...

At base, the shader uses Metallicity shader, minus top coat and thin films. Basically, because I didn't notice I didn't properly import them (you have to switch 'on' a lot of stuff before it will actually appear when imported. Bah).

Anyhow, it uses Perlin noise for some combination of Bump, Cutout Opacity, and Base Color.

So there's WTP Bump, WTP Cutout, WTP Color, and then another shader for every combination (Bump & Cutout, Bump & Color, Color & Cutout, Bump & Color & Cutout).

All the other stuff are just presets using those 7 shaders.

One cool thing is that it combines the noise with the original thing, whatever that is. So, for example, you could have a bump map and then noise that alters the map.

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • DigiDotzDigiDotz Posts: 515

Since a lot of us dont create shaders ourselves i think, with the work you put into making it, if you package it all up including presets, then it definately should be a pay product.

btw, Im interested in lowering image memory load for skin, will it help with that? I can hardly render more than two figures in iray

It might, but you then have to tolerate a somewhat more uniform skin texture. With procedural skin, there's no distinction between, say, elbows and face.

If that's acceptible, though, you can cut out a lot of image maps.

I THINK with procedural skin the figure should work a little better at limited subd, but not sure.

One of the upsides, though, is that you can use procedural skin on stuff with geografts and bring it all together.

Like this doofus:

Veiny Everything guy.png
    1080 x 1080 - 995K

I think you have two products here... As Digidotz says most of the people wants what Daz offers excellently being its core business. Finished products, shaders in this case. You buy them, you understand their documentation and you have them in your runtime and apply them from a well cathegorized set of folders. They are compatible with other shaders owned and applied with a button. If they need to be tweaked there is a button or two to do it. wink

We all love that.

edited May 2016

Compatible means I can apply your noise system to affect a given shader without altering what must not be altered. Is a must that Top Coat can work and all those things you missed to import

Here is Cotton organic from Catharina with your noise base as it comes but bump reduced to 2.5

Top coat is missing and she uses it

Evita 08 Organic Cotton+Base bump.png
    408 x 408 - 772K
    Post edited by Jerife on
    Yes, the new version will include those things. So annoying about how import works. I'm debating whether to make a version for Metallicity, Specular, and Weighted, but that's about 3d the work.

It could be a nice old wool dress smiley

edited May 2016

This one is copying the original base in primary as you say in the readme and changing color and threshold in secundary color. Nice texture for a party dress or a negligèe

What I would love with this base color is a way to move the blots wherever I want and to alter their shape too.

I used threshold here but I imagine I can achieve things playing with Base Color Tiling too

Evita 09 WTP Base Color.png
    408 x 408 - 787K
    Post edited by Jerife on
    edited May 2016

Yup, I can.here 10, 30, 10in the base color tiling

Evita 10 WTP Base Color Tiling 10, 30, 10.png
    408 x 408 - 809K
    Post edited by Jerife on

I said above you had two products; The money is where DigiDotz says.

The really interesting one is the tool to make your own shaders as easy as possible. If good it will sell forever as long as iRay rules.

edited May 2016
    Yes, the new version will include those things. So annoying about how import works. I'm debating whether to make a version for Metallicity, Specular, and Weighted, but that's about 3d the work.

I really do not understand the difference between those 3. I know DT uses Weighted. I know MEC4D said only Metallicity is PBR, I think she meant real life parameters but I'm not sure. I know that I do not know laugh

By the way I opened for the second time in my life under Window - Panes - Shader Mixer your Bases Color and Bump. Beautiful laberinth! ... but how can you work there? Or you don't and do it in other pane?

I love DS but I miss that shader room in Carrara owned too by Daz crying 

GoZ, Send to Hexagon, Send to Bryce, Phshop bridge... angry I need a "Send to Carrara" button.

At least a tab in the shader mixer that works as the shader room in C.

Daz please, you own both softwares wink

Post edited by Jerife on
    That's the labyrinth I work with. Looooots of trial and error. Definitely rewards people who think visually, though. As for the difference... not sure. The car paints are generally weighted, doesn't look quite the same in Metallicity.
  • MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249

PBR Metallicity is the same as Specular just different  setup , you don't need as much maps but you have to know how to make the correct maps , the best to use programs to do that , you will never get as good gold shader with Metallicity as you will get with Specular shader since under Metallicity the diffuse base color also have specular function and the Metallicity slider is nothing else than black reflection mirror , very simplified but very usable in games when you need to reduce things to minimum  , for example metal maps created for Specular base shader will never works under Metalicity and vice verse , on the other hand when the Metallicity slider value is set to ZERO the shader is in Specular mode , once the value is above zero everything change and the shader base mixer become true Metallicity and the base color become specular color  and you need to make Metallicity control maps for the right PBR values .

PBR Specular give you the same result as Metallicity and that is the standard in 3D in all 3D programs , I use Specular since it allow me to make better layers that can be mixed together and not everything just in one map , easy work done per hand in Photoshop or 3D painting Program all textures maps for old and new Daz models are specular based I just always wonder why they use it in Metallicity base shader as there are not one Metallicity map at all , With Specular you can create exactly the same maps as with Metallicity and both shader base can give you the same proper result in iray so you use what is best for your workflow  and knowledge , however you will find more correct PBR values for specular based shaders on the internet than Metallicity as most of the world's values for materials that are measured by the scientists institutes  based on specular  reflections from metal to hair , PBR Metallicity was invented by Disney with own material database  they use it in all animation movies like for example Frozen , but there is limited resource on the internet 

Weighted base shader is more for special effects not really for accurate PBR but you can create some funky stuff with it

the most rule in PBR are the color brightness  that you should never create brighter colors than 240 , and not darker bllacks than 8 if you do a white dress 255 iray will thinking it is light source , everything brighter than 240 in real world emits already  light  , keep the colors in the correct range and it will improve the total look of your render and clean up faster , only light can produce 255 colors other way we would glowing in the dark

Hmm. I suppose to do it right I should make a Metallicity and Specular version. Lot of work... Mec4d: making Metallicity version is all about people easily copying over shaders they like with minimal tweaking, so it becomes a battle between better vs compatible with common shaders.
    edited May 2016

Wow Cath thanks! Another Magister Class.

Will you must find a way to have secondary color also a full complete shader with all its bells and whistles. As for now your freebie is great for me in order to apply mold, rust or moss to stones, terrains and all kind of walls as shown here

Wine Store 00.jpg
    1000 x 618 - 1000K
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited May 2016

Ah ha, the trick is cutout.

If you use WTP cutout, you essentially have the ability to add layers of complex shaders through decals or geometry shells. Each layer can have different values for everything.

Post edited by Oso3D on

Yes! There are 2 geoshells in that wall. A slider I found very useful is Secondary Cutout Opacity, it makes the cutout subtler.

What I like the least is the way of changing the form and size of cutout or colors mixed. I hope you can make a set of sliders to take care of all those parameters involved. (Even the geoshell offset, lol ) Not easy.  But I think you will achieve the perfect shader mixer wink

I hope Caths answer was what you asked for, hehe. Too much for me but I keep that she uses PBR Specular ( I know the P stands for Procedural... B&R I'm sure Cath explained it somewhere but I forgot) which is the standard in 3D programs and that tip about the Color Brightness in the 240-8 range, no upper, no lower.

• greymouser69greymouser69 Posts: 501

Actually (as I understand it) PBR stands for Physically Based Rendering

Oops. Thanks greymouser