July Freebie Contest - Summer Gardens

Comments

• music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822
    edited December 1969

Cuisle said:
    Dollygirl said:
    Well done Cuisle. You have brought interest into your image and you signed it. Very nice. I hope you like it better this way as well.

I do. Thank you!

Me too!

:-)

• LimneryLimnery Posts: 126
    edited December 1969

Yay! Thanks, Dana and music!

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175
    edited December 1969

Cuisle said:
    Yay! Thanks, Dana and music!

You're welcome.

The forums are slow today, I caught up really fast.

Dana

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,656
    edited December 1969

Yes they are Dana. So here are a few pictures. One of them is the result of incorporating the comments from you guys and the other is in postcard format just for fun.

Postcard.jpg
    1000 x 737 - 464K
    StPeterburg-commentsincorporated-pink.jpg
    800 x 566 - 385K
    edited December 1969

This is a picture of Baby. Taken yesterday. I can hear him right now chirping. Must be lunch time.

baby.jpg
    800 x 637 - 344K
    edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    This is a picture of Baby. Taken yesterday. I can hear him right now chirping. Must be lunch time.

What exactly is Baby? Have you rescued him/her? You might have mentioned it, but I have too much on my mind lately and don't remember.

Dana

edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    Dollygirl said:

What exactly is Baby? Have you rescued him/her? You might have mentioned it, but I have too much on my mind lately and don't remember.

Dana

Mourning Dove. About 14 days old now.

My husband did. Almost ran over him with the lawn mower. A feral cat had gotten into its nest and tore the nest up. We think its sibling was breakfast. Baby fell a good fifteen feet out of the tree onto the grass. When my husband found him he was overheated so we brought him into the house and I started figuring out what to do. The internet sure makes it easier. I thought he would have died that first night. Falling out of a tree and being left out in the sun for hours but he didn't and now he demands his breakfast, lunch and dinner. He should fledge in about 3 to 4 weeks. Then we won't see him again unless he stops by to say howdy. They can live up to 30 years but he has lived through quite a number of his lives already. He is one lucky bird.

Only in passing.

I call Baby my little dinosaur.

• mmalbertmmalbert Posts: 412
    edited December 1969

Dollygirl, that's so pretty! I wish it were bigger so I could lose myself in it.

Just came back from real-world gardening and am covered in mosquito bites. Ugh.

edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    DanaTA said:
    Dollygirl said:

Dana

Mourning Dove. About 14 days old now.

My husband did. Almost ran over him with the lawn mower. A feral cat had gotten into its nest and tore the nest up. We think its sibling was breakfast. Baby fell a good fifteen feet out of the tree onto the grass. When my husband found him he was overheated so we brought him into the house and I started figuring out what to do. The internet sure makes it easier. I thought he would have died that first night. Falling out of a tree and being left out in the sun for hours but he didn't and now he demands his breakfast, lunch and dinner. He should fledge in about 3 to 4 weeks. Then we won't see him again unless he stops by to say howdy. They can live up to 30 years but he has lived through quite a number of his lives already. He is one lucky bird.

Only in passing.

I call Baby my little dinosaur.

When I could afford the seed, I used to get Mourning Dove at my feeder a lot, and on the grass, and in the trees, and on the fence, and on the deck. They liked my yard. So did a lot of other birds. But the stuff is expensive and I've had to limit things. If I can hang onto my house, I'll definitely start up again for the winter, when it's tougher for the birdies to find food.

Dana

edited December 1969

mmalbert said:
    Dollygirl, that's so pretty! I wish it were bigger so I could lose myself in it.

Thank you. You can go to the one in Russia. Not fun on the mosquito bites. I finally started using Vasaline lotion and now they don't bother me anymore.

edited December 1969

My wife and I rescued a baby pigeon once stuck in the roof of a building we rented for our clinic. I removed a ceiling tile and climbed up there and got him. He was frantically screaming. Took him home and I built a huge cage for him and we raised him to adulthood. We lived 7 miles outside of a small town. Each time we went to town for groceries or something, we would let him out of his cage. He would fly up on the luggage rack on the roof of our UV, and when we drove off, he would fly beside the car all the way to town with us, dodging trees and obsticles. He would then land on the luggage rack and sit and wait on us. On the way back home, he would fly way ahead of us, sometimes dissappearing all together, and he would be sitting on his cage when we got home waiting on us. Open his door, and he would get back in his cage for a drink of water. It was so very cool to watch him flying beside the car window. Very funny. He lived his life out with us, and passed in 1990 of old age.

edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    mmalbert said:

Thank you. You can go to the one in Russia. Not fun on the mosquito bites. I finally started using Vasaline lotion and now they don't bother me anymore.

Also Avon Skin So Soft works REALLY good.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

And citronella ointment.

edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    My wife and I rescued a baby pigeon once stuck in the roof of a building we rented for our clinic. I removed a ceiling tile and climbed up there and got him. He was frantically screaming. Took him home and I built a huge cage for him and we raised him to adulthood. We lived 7 miles outside of a small town. Each time we went to town for groceries or something, we would let him out of his cage. He would fly up on the luggage rack on the roof of our UV, and when we drove off, he would fly beside the car all the way to town with us, dodging trees and obsticles. He would then land on the luggage rack and sit and wait on us. On the way back home, he would fly way ahead of us, sometimes dissappearing all together, and he would be sitting on his cage when we got home waiting on us. Open his door, and he would get back in his cage for a drink of water. It was so very cool to watch him flying beside the car window. Very funny. He lived his life out with us, and passed in 1990 of old age.

Oh what a nice story. How long did he live?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

OH!! Love Baby, so darn ugly its UBER Cute (I mean that in the best way). And Music that's a great story Got any photos?

edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    music2u4u said:

Oh what a nice story. How long did he live?

About three years.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    OH!! Love Baby, so darn ugly its UBER Cute (I mean that in the best way). And Music that's a great story Got any photos?

None, but got a video we did of him getting his bath from a pan of water we had for him. He just dipped and dipped...lol. He loved his baths.

edited December 1969

ok....we need entries here!

Carry on!

• cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited July 2013

Hello all,

I love the Russian garden, it's very realistic, and those two others - the Gothic-like one (creepy, the author showed a good taste and trust me, not every "Gothic" work shows that!) and the quiet one with fawns. Good job guys!

Regarding my own, it was really entertaining to work entirely in freebies. I tried to recreate a Mediterraenean villa's courtyard where the inhabitants tend to relax. There is no roof, but a wooden crossed canopy that casts the nice shadows (I used Dyald's lights for that effect). There are vines growing on it whose silhouettes can be seen from below. I imagine we're looking at the scene from a niche opposite to the door; that's why the grass and other plants near the lower parts of the image are darker than the others, they are overshadowed by the niche itself. The courtyard itself is arranged in a loose, asymmetric manner. There are some old objects that are no longer in use, for instance that old wooden cart on the right or the barrel. The woman silently keeps an eye on two kids playing in the centre of the image near the stairs and a decorative pond. I have another picture where also portrays a Vietnamese piglet bathing in the pond, but it was a limited time freebie from Most-Digital-Creations, so I could not link to it and had to remove it from the final image. I'm afraid not all of the plants are very realistic, but I wanted to use a wide variety of them, so please excuse me. The apple is barely seen from the distance, but it rests in the basket on the right side of the woman. I'm also not entirely satisfied with the bright colours of the plants from Petra and a small herb crate on the left side of the pond, but texturing it again would have taken ages. Still, I was amazed by how many freebies I put into use for that work :).

PURCHASABLES:

Barrel from Teknology3D (I got it when it was free, but now it's $5,00, so it can go as purchasable; register to get)

FREEBIES:

Ivy from Teknology3D (register to get)
    Castle Door from Dreamlight
    Vegetable Basket and Apple from Treasure Chest
    Pumpkin and Corn from Ethin (register to get)
    RQ Planter Bench from QRaffix (register to get)
    Pond with Plants from Skinsoft Imaging (register to get)
    Persian Cat and Old Cart from Adam Thwaites
    Hamlet of Sir Michael Flowers, Trees and Hedge Shrub from Mapps
    M&R The Bull King Vines from Mapps and RichardPhotos
    Kyklades Plants in a Pot from Maria (register to get)
    Greehouse Tree and Potted Plant in a Pot from Richabri (register to get)
    Ivy from FreePoses
    Female Hair from Mareek (register to get)
    RCS Tanktop V4 from El Lee (register to get)
    Sundress and Sandals K4 from Sione (register to get)
    Merry Hair from Propschick (register to get)
    Tulwar Pants from Sickleyield (register to get)
    [urlhttp://www.sharecg.com/v/33904/]EZ Forest Lights from Dyald (register to get)
    Weathered Pillar from Andi3D
    Wooden Door Grass, Big Rock Pebbles from AerySoul (you can still get the objects by saving them as packaged files)
    LB Flowercrate and Trees III from Petra (register to get)

NO COUNTS:

Genesis Basic Female, Genesis Basic Child, Genesis Poses, Lana Texture, Jeremy Texture, Basic Child Texture, Eyes, Wild Mane Hair and Texture, Tankini and Shorts from Genesis Starter Essentials (register and checkout with the software to get)

The_courtyard_3.jpg
    936 x 534 - 224K
    Post edited by cecilia.robinson on
    edited December 1969

Very nice. I like the dappled shadow of the vines and leaves. It looks like a relaxing place.

Dana

edited December 1969

DanaTA said:

Very nice. I like the dappled shadow of the vines and leaves. It looks like a relaxing place.

Dana

Thank you very much, I am very happy if you like it! Can I ask two questions please?

Firstly, after the contestant has received that beautiful necklace, can it be used in another entry? And if so, how should it be grouped (no-counts, freebies...?)?

Secondly, I have a few face skins for H5 created, can I donate them to the contest please?

edited December 1969

cecilia,

Thank you for entering into the contest. This is a wonderful concept for a garden and it is very clever of you using lights to get the effect of an overhead trellis. I really like the dappling on the walls and floor of your patio.

Technical:
    All of your links check out and thank you for grouping the artist's work if there were more than one item used. You have enough freebies showing to meet the requirements of the contest. However, can you please identify which sites require registration. You have some really nice variability in your freebie locations. Once you have done the identification of registered sites then I will accept your entry and will PM you the necklace.

Composition and Artistic

I really like the pose of the mother in this render. She looks relaxed. She looks just like a Mom watching her kids play. I also like the blue of her outfit. It pulls your eye into the corner of the patio. Having the cat sunning itself is also a nice touch.

What is following are just recommendations. Always remember to please yourself first when you are doing your art. What I or others think is only secondary. If you feel the joy then that is what is important. I think that the focus of the render is lost because the camera is not tight on the mom and the children. In your story introducing the picture you say that "I tried to recreate a Mediterranean villa’s courtyard where the inhabitants tend to relax." Your three genesis portray this activity well but there is lots of empty space that you have tried to fill to make it not so empty. I know when I start putting a scene together I want everything to be seen. Dang it I work hard to add a certain detail and it needs to be in the picture. Unfortunately this only works when the detail provides significant meaning to the piece. So I took your picture and selected a section of it. I have included it in this post. I think this portion of your render is the most interesting. It tells me everything that you said you were trying to create. Remember that the viewer does not have to see the whole thing. By including parts of the floor and portal and the dappled sunlight the picture has established that it is a villa's courtyard. Putting the palm tree and having bright sunlight in the scene, tells me it is in the Mediterranean. The genesis's actors and poses tell me that it is playtime and relaxation.

By moving your camera to a similar position, you can move your other freebies into the picture. Bits and parts can be an effective tool in adding the additional detail that your story is trying to tell. I know that the rules say you have to see a freebie in its entirety to count but that is only for the ten that need to qualify. You have a long list. So I don't think you need to worry that there are enough freebies seen clearly in the tighter shot. I encourage you to sign your work. You are an artist. Let people know who you are.

Thanks again for entering. My intent is to only help not hinder an artist's path. You have a good sense of what you want to say and that is the most important part of creating a wonderful render. And thank you on for the nod on the Russian garden.

Image22.jpg
    470 x 305 - 165K
    edited December 1969

Can I ask two questions please?

Firstly, after the contestant has received that beautiful necklace, can it be used in another entry? And if so, how should it be grouped (no-counts, freebies...?)?

Yes you can use it in an entry. I would count it as a freebie cause it is available to all that enter. Could be considered a registered site kind of thing.

Secondly, I have a few face skins for H5 created, can I donate them to the contest please?

Thank you for offering a gift. Yes you can donate your faces. You will need to tell me who should receive the prize, 1st, 2nd, 3rd or honorable mention places. If you need help distributing the prize then tell me and I will get you in touch with a person that can host your gift.

edited December 1969

Thank you so much, Dollygirl! I'm not satisfied with the camera. In fact, that's what always gets a stiff look for me ;). I must find a good tutorial to cover this (or maybe you have some tips for a blonde? I'd greatly appreciate that :P)... I wrote which sites require registration by updating my post above and sent you a PM with the pack. If you decide it is good enough to give away, I think everybody who participates can receive it. Do you think I can cut that image as you showed above?

edited December 1969

Thank you so much, Dollygirl! I'm not satisfied with the camera. In fact, that's what always gets a stiff look for me ;). I must find a good tutorial to cover this (or maybe you have some tips for a blonde? I'd greatly appreciate that :P)... I wrote which sites require registration by updating my post above and sent you a PM with the pack. If you decide it is good enough to give away, I think everybody who participates can receive it. Do you think I can cut that image as you showed above?

Oh your welcome Cecilia. This is not a tutorial per say but one of the sponsors of this contest Jaderail has a little tool that might help you with your camera issue. I am afraid (shame on me) I have not used it yet. Here is the link to his thread on the tool.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/17976/

Good. I will PM the link to the necklace to you shortly.

As I told you in the PM I will see that all who enters gets the link when the winners are announced.

To your question about just cutting the image. I am afraid you can't. That type of work is considered postwork and the rules say all you can do is add your sig, combine layers because your computer crashes due to the large amount of polys in your scene or to fix minor poke throughs. I would try Jaderail's tool. There is nothing like right now to get started on discovering where your potential will lead you with just a little help from our friends here at DAZ.

edited December 1969

A Mediterraenean villa's courtyard where the inhabitants tend to relax.

ENTRY IS ACCEPTED. You should have a PM from me.

Image21.jpg
    936 x 534 - 509K
    edited July 2013

Very nice entry. I also am giving an entry gift. I will PM you the link and password for it so check your PM box for a message from me also. Thanks for entering.

Post edited by music2u4u on
  • robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Just popping in to see what condition my condition is in... and to see the lovely new entry.

(Work kept me busy yesterday...)

edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:

I'm so glad you posted a picture. I have a couple of grownup mourning doves chowing down on the evening seed out on my deck right now, but I've never seen a young one before. He's like an adorable baby dinosaur.

Kudos to you both for rescuing him! :)

edited December 1969

Regarding my own, it was really entertaining to work entirely in freebies. I tried to recreate a Mediterraenean villa's courtyard where the inhabitants tend to relax. There is no roof, but a wooden crossed canopy that casts the nice shadows (I used Dyald's lights for that effect). There are vines growing on it whose silhouettes can be seen from below.

I also like the leafshadow, and all the details you've put in, like the cat and the pumpkin and the old cart. They make the place feel warm and human and lived-in and enjoyed. I especially like the woman herself, in her cool shaded corner, wearing that lovely blue.