HighresS004.jpg
700 x 418 - 15K
HighresScr001.png
700 x 418 - 230K
Post edited by DigiDotz on

Comments

• MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,955
    edited December 1969

Very interesting, I haven't yet started to work with Unity. Looks good though. I really want to make some games lately, card games or similar RPG or even Shooter.

edited December 1969

And I have to say it is a good deal 5% is not much, however my computer is outdated but who knows maybe one day I will be working on my own game.

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,878
    edited December 1969

Exciting! I downloaded Unity but unfortunately, I have no time to play with it so I don´t think I will have time to play with Unreal as well but when I hear my favorite word free, I download it anyways : D : )

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,305
    edited December 1969

Don't forget that the use of DAZ 3D store content embedded in a game you are going to distribute requires a Game Developer License or Licenses.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited December 1969

You can however render movies using Matinee
    I shall be grabbing this.

• DigiDotzDigiDotz Posts: 515
    edited December 1969

yes! Maybe Karate Girl in Unreal?

edited December 1969

Don't forget that the use of DAZ 3D store content embedded in a game you are going to distribute requires a Game Developer License or Licenses.

Just to be sure, we can import daz content and "render" in Unreal without a game license?

edited March 2015

martClut said:
    yes! Maybe Karate Girl in Unreal?

you are thinking of Ivy Summers

and to you second question even a game if it never leaves your computer is OK
    a render is a render, 2D regardless of software so the video or images are ok to redistribute

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,305
    edited December 1969

martClut said:

Just to be sure, we can import daz content and "render" in Unreal without a game license?

Yes, or use it as sprites in a game (if Unity supports 2D sprites). It's only if you are distributing something with derivative 3D content (the original DAZ content or something made from it) that you need a gamer developer license.

• mCasualmCasual Posts: 4,605
    edited March 2015

i think i may use it as a hardware renderer for daz scenes
    shadows, transparencies, bump/displacement maps?, particles, fast ambient occlusion? fog ...

Post edited by mCasual on
    edited December 1969

Ok I will try using it too. Sounds like a nice thing. I have 2gb ram and core 2 duo lets hope it will work. I will also try to see if I can do something with Unity. Thanks again for info. I am guessing that I could amke some 2d things at least.

edited December 1969

It looks good, and with good documentation, I am hoping that I will be able to do something simple. I will try Unity a bit later when they release Version 5 :)

• ioyo2000-vpioyo2000-vp Posts: 10
    edited March 2015

Casual said:
    i think i may use it as a hardware renderer for daz scenes
    shadows, transparencies, bump/displacement maps?, particles, fast ambient occlusion? fog ...

Will this work? Isn't a game engine designed to just do a quick approximation (in some fraction of a second) and not an artistic quality render?

I suppose I should check out their documentation.

Do you have any insight on it that you could share?

Post edited by ioyo2000-vp on
  • SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

Wow. This is terrific. Before I download and dig in can anybody tell me how much space it takes up on the harddrive? I may have to wait until I do some more housekeeping. A perpetual task.

edited March 2015

Just downloading latest version, its about 4GB but you need quite a bit more space for projects and demo blueprints

It does take a while to import stuff and build lightmaps but after that, printing a hi-res screenshot is pretty fast, just use the multiplier option to fix jaggies

....make that 9.5 GB i had 4 remaining

Post edited by DigiDotz on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,306
    edited March 2015

That is just great - will have to try Unreal Engine 4 for myself.
    In the meantime I have installed Unity 5 personal edition and the free Viking Village
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/29140
    Below are some sample screenshots.

vikingVillage005e.jpg
    1904 x 1104 - 558K
    vikingVillage007e.jpg
    1904 x 1100 - 538K
    vikingVillage004e.jpg
    1908 x 1102 - 624K
    vikingVillage002e.jpg
    1905 x 1102 - 549K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited December 1969

Well I'm downloading now thanks for the heads up. This will work great with the new Poser game Dev 5 gigs of content free to export !!!
    Be good if DAZ could match it !

• ioyo2000-vpioyo2000-vp Posts: 10
    edited March 2015

Spit said:
    Wow. This is terrific. Before I download and dig in can anybody tell me how much space it takes up on the harddrive? I may have to wait until I do some more housekeeping. A perpetual task.

9 Gig binaries + 4 Gig content + Microsoft Visual Studio if you do dev work

Post edited by ioyo2000-vp on
  • edited December 1969

@Richard Haseltine: Can you call your bosses to bring back the game dev forum?

Now is the time. UE4 free and Unity 5 free, that means tons of new wannabe developers looking for models. And those engines have no problems rendering DAZ stuff in full without decimation.

But without a custom forum here I don't know how welcome they will feel ;-)

Thanks

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

martClut said:
    Just downloading latest version, its about 4GB but you need quite a bit more space for projects and demo blueprints

It does take a while to import stuff and build lightmaps but after that, printing a hi-res screenshot is pretty fast, just use the multiplier option to fix jaggies

....make that 9.5 GB i had 4 remaining

9 Gig binaries + 4 Gig content + Microsoft Visual Studio if you do dev work

Many thanks for the info!

This is so exciting!

edited December 1969

Cool, Unity 5 :) Thanks for info, I will have to try it. Downloading now.

• Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited December 1969

gulan7 said:
    Cool, Unity 5 :) Thanks for info, I will have to try it. Downloading now.

Yes I didn't know about Unity 5 being free, got it today !
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,306
    edited March 2015

Besides that, the Unity 5 is now free, do not forget to check Unity Asset Store.
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/home
    There are a lot free items in it.
    Just do not look at the paid content there, or you could get distracted from shoping at Daz ;)

Post edited by Artini on
    edited March 2015

that Viking village looks so awesome but I cannot download it
    I get an error, looked on their forum, not alone
    other assets download ok

is a shame as it is close enough to Faverals to use that for 2D rendered cut scenes

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • ToyenToyen Posts: 1,878
    edited December 1969

Just started some Unreal Engine tutorials and loving it! I have tried Unity as well but I found that Unreal suits me better so that´s the one I am going to focus on : )

It will take a while before I create anything decent in it but it´s a start : )

Both engines look great! Can´t wait to see what everyone creates with it! My game would probably be called Lilith´s adventures since she´s my favorite Daz figure! : D

edited December 1969

I am re-installing Unity 3 too
    (had removed it a while back)
    I must seriously start looking at this gaming stuff

oh nice try Wendy, that village tells me it needs upgrade to 5 and will not even give a download :lol:

edited December 1969

Me too and also can't download Viking village. It looks complicated but i am sure i can learn it :)

• mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,506
    edited December 1969

martClut said:

Yes, or use it as sprites in a game (if Unity supports 2D sprites). It's only if you are distributing something with derivative 3D content (the original DAZ content or something made from it) that you need a gamer developer license.

So now I'm confused about game usage. So 2D renders are okay?

What's the difference between importing DAZ content and rendering in Unreal versus derivative 3D content?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,579
    edited December 1969

mtl1 said:
    martClut said:

What's the difference between importing DAZ content and rendering in Unreal versus derivative 3D content?

You can import it into Unreal and make renders with it, but you can't distribute a game which includes the 3d mesh. You can distribute 2d renders such as sprites,

• mtl1mtl1 Posts: 1,506
    edited December 1969

mtl1 said:
    martClut said:

You can import it into Unreal and make renders with it, but you can't distribute a game which includes the 3d mesh. You can distribute 2d renders such as sprites,

Oh that makes sense then! In other words, use Unreal as a renderer...