Unreal Engine 4 Now FREE -updated

Comments

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the heads up! Unity 5 recently did the same thing, but I'll be sticking with UE as it's what I used to use years ago for level design.

For anybody interested, here is a lengthy list of a playlist of tutorials for UE on youtube.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZlv_N0_O1gaCL2XjKluO7N2Pmmw9pvhE

For artistic/rendering usage purposes only, the pertinent videos would be #1-11 for a basic how to (moving things, using the cameras, etc), and then #94-115 for the environment artist stuff (materials, particles, etc). For animators, you may also want #152-167.

The other stuff I have no idea what it even is (Blueprints, PhAT, etc).

• MilosGulanMilosGulan Posts: 1,955
    edited December 1969

Thank You, that is just what I needed. Will try to watch and make something.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,306
    edited March 2015

mtl1 said:
    mtl1 said:
    martClut said:
    Don't forget that the use of DAZ 3D store content embedded in a game you are going to distribute requires a Game Developer License or Licenses.

Just to be sure, we can import daz content and "render" in Unreal without a game license?

Yes, or use it as sprites in a game (if Unity supports 2D sprites). It's only if you are distributing something with derivative 3D content (the original DAZ content or something made from it) that you need a gamer developer license.

So now I'm confused about game usage. So 2D renders are okay?

What's the difference between importing DAZ content and rendering in Unreal versus derivative 3D content?

You can import it into Unreal and make renders with it, but you can't distribute a game which includes the 3d mesh. You can distribute 2d renders such as sprites,

Oh that makes sense then! In other words, use Unreal as a renderer...
    Unless you buy the Developer License
    at least http://www.daz3d.com/indie-game-developer-license
    if you qualify: "Developers with Personal or Business income of LESS than $100,000.00 annually"
    and have the money to buy it.

Post edited by Artini on
    edited December 1969

Sweet, thank you. This is license for bigger games :) http://www.daz3d.com/commercial-game-developer-license

• none01ohonenone01ohone Posts: 862
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the heads up guys. I've downloaded UE4 and now I'm off to grab the personal edition of Unity5.
    Well it made me spring clean my hard drive to make room. :)

• ghastlycomicghastlycomic Posts: 2,528
    edited December 1969

Just purchased a couple of tutorial eBooks off Amazon. This BluePrints visual scripting looks pretty interesting. I have Unity but I'm not looking forward to learning C# as I have limited free time. From what I've seen so far BluePrints looks like it will be a lot easier to learn.

I can't wait for the days when programming a computer is as simple as sitting down with a cup of coffee and just explaining to it what it is you want it to do.

What format will I have to export the models I made to get them to work? Isn't Daz's .dae format proprietary and their .fbx doesn't export rigs?

• DigiDotzDigiDotz Posts: 515
    edited December 1969

well I havent done that much with it, but you can export .dae to blender and the export as fbx to import into UE4. I didnt use texture atlas but will do net time.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited March 2015

FBX worked for me in UDK 3 but texture atlas was definately needed and a lot of decimation on dressed Genesis figures in fact poly reduce in Ultimate Unwrap 3D worked best, oddly Aiko3 worked ok out the box, the legacy content works better than triax.
    had better luck with props etc, I am hoping 4 copes better with DAZ content, been to busy to try yet.

well so far got a fully textured dressed Genesis figure in
    via iClone 3Dx5 though using Unreal preset
    not tried the animation as unsure how, UDK 3 I used Kismet and Matinee to create an event and then add it in there with camera and record while playing and save to avi
    new UI unfamiliar

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited March 2015

still figuring out matinee in this version but I dropped a few dancing Skiriki's in the sun temple and tried to record a movie with a new camera but it chose the free mode so got a lot of blank frames sadly.
    Does not stop hitting esc so hard to fix.
    but she does dance in the scene

odd the png saves transparent looks odd on forum but hopefully ok converted to jpg

MovieFrame00232.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 955K
    MovieFrame00241.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited December 1969

Great, well I am hoping that one day i might work with it too, still need to learn few things :)

edited December 1969

I managed to finally figure out how to add opacity maps to shaders and a few other tweaks
    and get a camera in matinee and keyframe it
    but
    just cannot get it to render from that camera!!!
    here is Spyro and Skiriki in Unreal 4

MovieFrame00042.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 919K
    edited March 2015

to render video Wendy? Have you got to > in matinee on the top far right ">>" button " movie"

Post edited by DigiDotz on
    edited December 1969

yes that will indeed render the movie but not necessarily through the camera I have selected

edited December 1969

I hope to be able to learn from You guys and will try installing Blender.

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,878
    edited December 1969

Oh wendy you are already importing figures? : ) I´m still at the UI tutorials : D Anyways, have you guys seen this video? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMF1Th5HK9A

Looks amazing!

edited December 1969

I am ready to scream and throw my keyboard across the room
    that autosave function sucks eggs
    IT OVERWRITES your saved assets if you stuff up
    I spent 4 hours fixing shaders on 5 DAZ figures with animation saved them I thought, accidently did something I did not want and chose to not autosave so when I closed it it removed all my carefully saved assets from the browser too!!!
    I had a scene ready to render I was quite impressed with and just lost the lot :long:
    had a terrain with painted folliage, physics strawberries raining down with figures dancing and kicking them and all my textures fixed with transmaps etc. BUGGER

edited December 1969

Toyen said:
    Oh wendy you are already importing figures? : ) I´m still at the UI tutorials : D Anyways, have you guys seen this video? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMF1Th5HK9A

Looks amazing!

I opened that showcase project and crashed the hangglider every fly attempt, the little boy never ran up to me though!!!
    I have not actually looked at much in the way of tutorials
    is just how I do stuff, by trial and error first, I have used UDK3 a wee bit so not totally noob
    I did look at a vid to do the tree painting on the terrain
    the ragdoll I discovered by accident and also found my DAZ figures can load each others animation stacks as one would expect.
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157
    edited December 1969

Weird that they giving away 5 but all the tutorials are for 4. They must have just released 5.

Thanks all for the heads up. Not sure when I'll get to this but looks cool.

Vaskania said:
    Thanks for the heads up! Unity 5 recently did the same thing, but I'll be sticking with UE as it's what I used to use years ago for level design.

For anybody interested, here is a lengthy list of a playlist of tutorials for UE on youtube.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZlv_N0_O1gaCL2XjKluO7N2Pmmw9pvhE

For artistic/rendering usage purposes only, the pertinent videos would be #1-11 for a basic how to (moving things, using the cameras, etc), and then #94-115 for the environment artist stuff (materials, particles, etc). For animators, you may also want #152-167.

The other stuff I have no idea what it even is (Blueprints, PhAT, etc).

edited December 1969

I am ready to scream and throw my keyboard across the room
    that autosave function sucks eggs
    IT OVERWRITES your saved assets if you stuff up
    I spent 4 hours fixing shaders on 5 DAZ figures with animation saved them I thought, accidently did something I did not want and chose to not autosave so when I closed it it removed all my carefully saved assets from the browser too!!!
    I had a scene ready to render I was quite impressed with and just lost the lot :long:
    had a terrain with painted folliage, physics strawberries raining down with figures dancing and kicking them and all my textures fixed with transmaps etc. BUGGER

It has backups folder in your project folder, maybe you can get your work back through that.

You probably got movie camera to work, but if not - I found out that in Matinee you need to
    right click on the grey space under you camera group> Add new Director group
    click on Director then Add Keyframe > Camera group (your camera)

although, remember -- I dont really know what Im doing!

matinee4.jpg
    650 x 602 - 48K
    edited December 1969

Wow that video looks great. I hope I will catch up. I wanted before to work with Unity, but just now I am realizing that both can be used for art so I just need to start using it :D

What I did is decision not to install Witcher 2 game (24Gb, I have like 50gbs on both of partitions), instead I will use it for Unreal/Unity projects. Today I have spent a day playing with Age of Wonders game :) nice fantasy strategy and had a good time, I probably could spent my time better learning Shape Magic program but I will do it soon I am hoping.

edited December 1969

Wow, those guys made Age of Wonders. Those guys from Epic Games :D this world is small. Here it is, i hope i can post this links :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt86Ab4_TnA
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Wonders
    http://epicgames.com/

edited December 1969

Lol yes I had a beautifully keyframed camera in matinee but that is not what rendered
    those backups usesless cannot open and just save map not assets anyway.
    You can look at them in notepad.
    Forum pretty much said the function is useless
    best copy your files to a back up folder regulary instead.

edited December 1969

back ups -- well i thought as much but you never know ...well we do now

I have also taken to doing save all regularly -it needs a dont you dare crash button

edited December 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th8Gne0YASk
    this looks cool,
    $40 at the moment at Epic games am considering it as would export as FBX for carrara etc too and can use as game asset as well as in renders
    crappy Australian dollar holding me back
    not sure if in bits though or a premade set ready to render, would want the latter for my videos at least
    their tavern looks cool too

• ZilvergrafixZilvergrafix Posts: 1,385
    edited December 1969

The viewport rendering is fantastic!, I've imported static obj figures, fbx ascii is compatible directly from Daz to UE4, but....BUT!, it requires bones named differently,specially when you import figures with hair or clothes.

DazToUnrealEngine4.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    DazToUnrealEngine4qqq.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • Gradymann46Gradymann46 Posts: 1
    edited June 2015

Wendy not sure if you have figured it out yet or not but I know where you problem may be if it is not rendering from the camera you have in Matinee. Before I get into that though, yes the autosave function sucks! But you can turn it off via a drop down menu under Project Settings or Editor Settings, forgot which one but it is in there. Now for you're matinee issue. I experienced the same thing. One key step you MUST do after you create a Matinee, thats "Right After" the first time you click the create Matinee button, I to go to the "Blueprints" dropdown and select "Open Level Blueprint". Now while you have the Matinee you just created still selected, "Right Click" in an empty space in the blueprint and type "Play"... A list of things will pop up, click the one that says "Play Matinee".. Then right click again and type "Begin" click "Event Begin Play". Compile... Now setup your matinee with a camera. When you start recording a movie, it will now use the Matinee camera instead of a player start camera. Hope this helps! :)

Edit:
    By the way I bring DAZ characters into UE4 all the time with facial morphs and have them talking and record it in Matinee. So if anyone needs any pointers on the workflow, just lemme know. More than happy to help out.

Post edited by Gradymann46 on
    edited December 1969

Pretty cool ....you can export a rough and ready hdr to use in Daz

quick tutorial
    http://www.digi-dotz.com/index.php/free-poses/tutorials/daz-studio-tutorials/71-hdr-export-from-unreal-engine-to-daz-studio

very quick render below

UECAR.png
    687 x 485 - 432K
    dazHDR.png
    906 x 714 - 198K
    edited December 1969

Edit:
    By the way I bring DAZ characters into UE4 all the time with facial morphs and have them talking and record it in Matinee. So if anyone needs any pointers on the workflow, just lemme know. More than happy to help out.

Yehyehyeh ..I'm interested - i got Genesis into UE a while back but it was a bit painful and I haven't had much time to try again since

edited December 1969

For some reason this stopped appearing in topics I posted in search, forum has done that before so posting as a "refresh".
    I will try the blueprint thing if I get back to using Unreal as I should, not looked in a long time.

edited December 1969

I wish I have time to try this, but might sometime later probably :) looks good, hoping to someday work with UE too.