UltraScenery - new(er) territory [Commercial]

Comments

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,102
    edited July 21

Messing about with USc2 and UScXT and added Cabin in the Woods.

2024-07-21 00:14:49.651 [INFO] :: Total Rendering Time: 2 hours 14 minutes 58.42 seconds

Dropped to CPU

Cabin In The Woods

Click on image for full size.

cabin-in-the-woods-copyright-001.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by Fishtales on
    edited July 21

Used Texture Map Resizer and lowered the textures on the cabin to LOW to reduce the render time.

2024-07-21 10:20:15.584 [INFO] :: Total Rendering Time: 24 minutes 30.38 seconds

Click on image for full size.

cabin-in-the-woods-low-copyright-001.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by Fishtales on
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,502
    Looks gorgeous. You renting the cabin out for holidays? ;) The two versions of USC work very well together. The swayback cabin model makes it look even more believable. I'm surprised the cabin texture originally made the image drop to CPU. Can I ask your GPU size? Regards, Richard.

richardandtracy said:

Looks gorgeous. You renting the cabin out for holidays? ;) The two versions of USC work very well together. The swayback cabin model makes it look even more believable. I'm surprised the cabin texture originally made the image drop to CPU. Can I ask your GPU size? Regards, Richard.

It is a 6GB card. 

• paulawp (marahzen)paulawp (marahzen) Posts: 1,313
    edited July 21

Another in my "Dog and Man" series to try out one of the new Pasture ecologies.

DogAndMan3-FallAfternoon.jpg
    2000 x 1451 - 2M
    Post edited by paulawp (marahzen) on
    Fishtales said:

richardandtracy said:

... I'm surprised the cabin texture originally made the image drop to CPU. Can I ask your GPU size? Regards, Richard.

It is a 6GB card. 

Ahh. When using my GTX 1060 I kept a better eye on GPU usage than now, and found USC1 seemed to use 3-4Gb. I presume USC2 and USXT are a bit more efficient, but even so, doesn't leave much spare. It's nice you got it in 6gb in the second cabin render. Regards, Richard.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,957

paulawp (marahzen) said:

This is AMAZING. Well done.

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 755
    Nice work.
  • Oso3D said:

paulawp (marahzen) said:

Thanks!

And I really like this ecology - it's seemingly simple, but this is exactly the sort of low scrubby cover that I was looking for for one of my WIP story settings. This was just with a height map and a mask for the natural path.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,917

paulawp (marahzen) said:

Oso3D said:

paulawp (marahzen) said:

Thanks!

And I really like this ecology - it's seemingly simple, but this is exactly the sort of low scrubby cover that I was looking for for one of my WIP story settings. This was just with a height map and a mask for the natural path.

That's a lovely image

the ecology looks perfect for what I will need, glad I grabbed it 

The pasture ecologies & mask builder look absolutely amazing. Have been away from a computer for a while & needed to see everything at a sensible size. Will see when I can get both - but cash is soon going to be a bit tight fairly soon; My wife feels as if she's being edged out at work & we may end up on one income for a while in the near future.

Regards,

Richard

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 755

richardandtracy said:

The pasture ecologies & mask builder look absolutely amazing. Have been away from a computer for a while & needed to see everything at a sensible size. Will see when I can get both - but cash is soon going to be a bit tight fairly soon; My wife feels as if she's being edged out at work & we may end up on one income for a while in the near future.

Regards,

Richard

Sometimes the things we fear never happens. Cross that bridge when / if you get there. 

• SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 720

richardandtracy said:

Regards,

Richard

Should her suspicions prove true, may it turn out to be a door open to better, happier opportunities. :)

Anyone know of a good utility for building one's own height maps?

Mask builder looks cool, and useful in many circumstances, but unfortunately doesn't look designed to handle what I need. I can't seem to find any height maps online that are even close to what I'm after, and attempting to do my own in GIMP has been a flaming disaster that made me want to throw something out a window.

(I'm sure it would be a nightmare to code, but it's a pity there isn't some ability to adjust the terrain on the fly outside a height map, a la Mesh Grabber.)

SilverGirl said:

richardandtracy said:

Regards,

Richard

Should her suspicions prove true, may it turn out to be a door open to better, happier opportunities. :)

Definitely hope so, but one never knows.  

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,843
    If you want your created height map to have more control of the USC2 terrain, use it as the displacement map (absolute), instead of height.

barbult said:

If you want your created height map to have more control of the USC2 terrain, use it as the displacement map (absolute), instead of height.

My bigger problem is getting the height map created in the first place. 

• RandomRandom Posts: 201
    edited July 25

I've used filters in Filter Forge to create bw height maps. Then tweaked with Photoshop. Only thing is that I've had to use the 'smoothing' function in USC2 to make the result less jagged. You could even just use photoshop (or any 2d art software) and spray paint your height map.

Post edited by Random on

Will the individual layers in the Classic content eccologies area be editable sometime in the future? Especially scale.

Random said:

I've used filters in Filter Forge to create bw height maps. Then tweaked with Photoshop. Only thing is that I've had to use the 'smoothing' function in USC2 to make the result less jagged. You could even just use photoshop (or any 2d art software) and spray paint your height map.

Yeah, tried that. I clearly lack the artistic talent to make it look like what I want it to look like. But I'll check out Filter Forge, maybe more luck there. Thanks. 

The higher you set the USC2 resolution, the smoother the transition in your terrain will be.
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,030

@SilverGirl, take a look at https://tangrams.github.io/heightmapper/. I think this is the product to generate maps from actual Earth locations. But I haven't figured out how to get them recognized by US2. I had no issues with US1. I think I tried it when US2 first came out and just didn't have a grasp on the program.

SG, it's more trial and error than talent. Of course, the more specific and detailed you want it, the more difficult it becomes.

memcneil70 said:

@SilverGirl, take a look at https://tangrams.github.io/heightmapper/. I think this is the product to generate maps from actual Earth locations. But I haven't figured out how to get them recognized by US2. I had no issues with US1. I think I tried it when US2 first came out and just didn't have a grasp on the program.

Oh hey! Thank you! That looks like just what I need! A couple screen caps and I should be in business! 

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,030

You are welcome. Good luck!

Mary

edited July 31

Heads up! Anyone who is considering purchasing the new Daz+ "Plant Sets for Alienator Pro 2", I'm disappointed to say that it is full of errors. Lots of the sets don't even show up at all in Alienator Pro 2. There are obvious errors in prop path names when looking at the JSON files. There are other errors, too. I don't know how this made it through testing and QA.

Post edited by barbult on
  • alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,377

barbult said:

Heads up! Anyone who is considering purchasing the new Daz+ "Plant Sets for Alienator Pro 2", I'm disappointed to say that it is full of errors. Lots of the sets don't even show up at all in Alienator Pro 2. There are obvious errors in prop path names when looking at the JSON files. There are other errors, too. I don't know how this made it through testing and QA.

Barbult,

Thanks for the warning. This was on my shopping list for the weekend but I think I'll  sit on the fence for a little longer, now.

Cheers,

Alex. 

alexhcowley said:

barbult said:

Barbult,

Thanks for the warning. This was on my shopping list for the weekend but I think I'll  sit on the fence for a little longer, now.

Cheers,

Alex. 

Alienator Pro 2 contains a Set Builder that you can use to create your own set files from the plant products, which you already own. The Plant Sets for Alienator Pro 2 should have been a quick way to get the sets without having to build them yourself. But since it is broken, I recommend either opening the broken sets with Set Builder and using the "Guide Me" feature to tell Set Builder where the plants are really installed, and letting Set Builder fix the JSON files. (This is what I did). Or, save your money, and just use Set Builder to create the sets without buying the broken premade sets. I have dozens of AP/AP2 sets I built that way. It is not hard.

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,377

barbult said:

alexhcowley said:

barbult said:

Barbult,

Cheers,

Alex. 

Alienator Pro 2 contains a Set Builder that you can use to create your own set files from the plant products, which you already own. The Plant Sets for Alienator Pro 2 should have been a quick way to get the sets without having to build them yourself. But since it is broken, I recommend either opening the broken sets with Set Builder and using the "Guide Me" feature to tell Set Builder where the plants are really installed, and letting Set Builder fix the JSON files. (This is what I did). Or, save your money, and just use Set Builder to create the sets without buying the broken premade sets. I have dozens of AP/AP2 sets I built that way. It is not hard.

Barbult,

Your thoughts echo my own. The Plant Sets would have saved me some time but, if they are riddled with errors, I might as well create them myself from scratch.  I'm not all that into flowers anyway, I would prefer to populate my scenes with stuff like ferns and bushes. 

Cheers,

Alex. 

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,305

Oh, that is terrible. I was counted on https://www.daz3d.com/plant-sets-for-alienator-pro-2

to get more variety to US2 creations.

Hope it will get fixed at some point.