WELCOME TO THE SEPTEMBER FREEBIE CHALLENGE !!!

Comments

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,656
    edited December 1969

jeeperz said:
    sorry to not get these yesterday. was off having fun celebrating my birthday. I won't tell you how old I am but it has a zero at the end (and it's NOT triple didgets). I'd like to say it has a 3 at the beginning.... but.... yeah can't say that one.....my daughter hit the big 40 last year.

Well happy birthday jeeperz! and thank you

• jeeperzjeeperz Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

Thanks dollygirl

edited December 1969

I have leftover birthday pie.... I'll set them out and see what happens next, BTW they are too creamy to really eat... Just so you know....

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,175
    edited December 1969

I like this one! Are the rust textures from Bryce? I think the dad is thinking of the possibilities, and is afraid.

Dana

edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    For your consideration, Music, my entry. Critique if you wish.

Title:
    A Boy's New Interest
    "Oh Billy, where did you get such a nice bike?"

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/index.php?&ACT=50&fid=41&aid=96892_xolAtQJu9b0HJVY2CNU8&thumb=1&board_id=1

Very nice! SAMS3D has some nice freebies, huh? And The Streets looks pretty good, too!

Dana

edited December 1969

Happy Birthday, Jeeperz!

Dana

• mmalbertmmalbert Posts: 412
    edited December 1969

Happy b-day, jeeperz! Hope you spoiled yourself rotten. :lol:

Several more very nice new renders, and a lot more inspired than mine. LOL!

music2u4u said:
    I still have the Bowery myself.

I do too! But I bought it. Was it really a freebie at one point? Dang.

I have a rules question about base figures. Just M4/V4/K4 and Genesis are listed. Does this mean we can't use older base figures like M2/V2/PS/PT and the Gen 3 base figures unless they're counted as paid for?

• Lord GanthorLord Ganthor Posts: 592
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:

I like this one! Are the rust textures from Bryce? I think the dad is thinking of the possibilities, and is afraid.

Dana

The rust texture is one I've had for years that I got...somewhere. I forget. I think the first time I ever used it was on an old VW model back in, what? 2004? Wow, how time gets away from you...

The render is loosely (very loosely) based on an old friend of mine who attempted to take a truck sort of like this and turn it into something. It turned out to be a money pit and was sold for scrap. Ah, the days...

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

mmalbert said:
    I have a rules question about base figures. Just M4/V4/K4 and Genesis are listed. Does this mean we can't use older base figures like M2/V2/PS/PT and the Gen 3 base figures unless they're counted as paid for?
    That is correct.

(It's also possibly the most frequently asked question about the rules...)

edited December 1969

DanaTA said:

Dana

The rust texture is one I've had for years that I got...somewhere. I forget. I think the first time I ever used it was on an old VW model back in, what? 2004? Wow, how time gets away from you...

The render is loosely (very loosely) based on an old friend of mine who attempted to take a truck sort of like this and turn it into something. It turned out to be a money pit and was sold for scrap. Ah, the days...

My husband has a two tone 1972 GMC truck. We put lots of money into it. His dad bought it new, then wrecked it. David bought it from him and restored it and restored it and restored it. Today, we use it for our project truck. Hauling cement, garbage etc. He wants to restore it again this time put a new engine in. Clean it up and repaint it. Chrome some of the underside and such. It is not in bad shape but it is his baby.
    We were at the dump a couple of months ago and a young man called it, sexy. If it had been a woman he said that too he either would have gotten slapped or made the poor girl blush. Men and their cars.

After the hubby gets his 72 fixed up he wants to start on what is pictured below. A 1936 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup. My brother owned it since 76 and never got to work on it. So we bought it in 09 and it still sits waiting to become a money pit. We have all of the parts though. :-)

100_0023.jpg
    800 x 600 - 442K
    edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    DanaTA said:

Dana

My husband has a two tone 1972 GMC truck. We put lots of money into it. His dad bought it new, then wrecked it. David bought it from him and restored it and restored it and restored it. Today, we use it for our project truck. Hauling cement, garbage etc. He wants to restore it again this time put a new engine in. Clean it up and repaint it. Chrome some of the underside and such. It is not in bad shape but it is his baby.
    We were at the dump a couple of months ago and a young man called it, sexy. If it had been a woman he said that too he either would have gotten slapped or made the poor girl blush. Men and their cars.

After the hubby gets his 72 fixed up he wants to start on what is pictured below. A 1936 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup. My brother owned it since 76 and never got to work on it. So we bought it in 09 and it still sits waiting to become a money pit. We have all of the parts though. :-)

You must live in a pretty dry climate. If that were sitting up here since 1976, it would literally be a pile of rust dust on the ground, except for the tires...which would probably be used for garden planters or hung from a rope for a swing. :lol:

Dana

edited December 1969

robkelk said:
    mmalbert said:
    That is correct.

What's the rationale for this, if I may ask? Especially with the advent of Genesis, which provides more versatility with less paid for items. Non-Genesis users are at a bit of a disadvantage in that regard.

Anyway, wouldn't being able to use more DAZ base figures bring more variety to the challenge, both in the renders as well as the freebies?

I have an idea for the upcoming Halloween challenge, and would really like to use some great free morphs for V2/M2, but I also want to use other figures. I can get by with just M4/V4 and Morphs ++ and M3, I guess, but the results wouldn't be nearly as fun or as interesting, as some great freebies would be forced to languish, abandoned and unloved, in the yawning abyss of my runtime ::sob!!::

Not trying to cause trouble. Just puzzled by this particular limitation. I get the others, including limits on paid-for items and postowrk, but not why there's a limitation on the base figures themselves.

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited September 2013

mmalbert said:
    robkelk said:
    mmalbert said:
    That is correct.

What's the rationale for this, if I may ask? Especially with the advent of Genesis, which provides more versatility with less paid for items. Non-Genesis users are at a bit of a disadvantage in that regard.

I don't understand that one myself. If the intention is to showcase free models, why give the no-longer-free V4 and M4 a "pass" instead of encouraging the use of Apollo, Kururu, Krystal, Furrette, Furraldo, Deco, Maybe, Decoco, Dawn, and the other free figures out there? If it's because V4 and M4 are DAZ3D figures and this is the DAZ3D forums, then why not also allow V3, M3, and the other DAZ3D figures?

EDIT: Oh, and people are supposed to declare their Genesis morphs as either freebies or paid items...

Post edited by robkelk on
  • Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,407
    edited December 1969

mmalbert said:
    robkelk said:
    mmalbert said:
    That is correct.

Anyway, wouldn't being able to use more DAZ base figures bring more variety to the challenge, both in the renders as well as the freebies?

I have an idea for the upcoming Halloween challenge, and would really like to use some great free morphs for V2/M2, but I also want to use other figures. I can get by with just M4/V4 and Morphs ++ and M3, I guess, but the results wouldn't be nearly as fun or as interesting, as some great freebies would be forced to languish, abandoned and unloved, in the yawning abyss of my runtime ::sob!!::

Not trying to cause trouble. Just puzzled by this particular limitation. I get the others, including limits on paid-for items and postowrk, but not why there's a limitation on the base figures themselves. The reason, as I understand it is because Genesis comes with Daz for free and both V4 and M4 base had also been free for a long time as well (though not currently) whereas the previous generation figures weren't or were only available with Poser, which must be bought.

edited December 1969

You are correct Tramp,
    Thanks for the birthday wishes all, and if you can call standing in a downpour for 20 minutes before my grandsons soccer game being spoiled...l LOVED IT. My daughter made dinner for us and everything. Had a great time

edited December 1969

jeeperz said:
    You are correct Tramp,
    Thanks for the birthday wishes all, and if you can call standing in a downpour for 20 minutes before my grandsons soccer game being spoiled...l LOVED IT. My daughter made dinner for us and everything. Had a great time

Ooh I love it when I don't have to do the dinner. Makes for a great day when that happens!

edited December 1969

mmalbert said:
    robkelk said:
    mmalbert said:
    That is correct.

Not trying to cause trouble. Just puzzled by this particular limitation. I get the others, including limits on paid-for items and postowrk, but not why there's a limitation on the base figures themselves.

There was a time when DAZ offered the base V4, M4 and K4 for free. When that was around then we didn't have to count them in the paid for column. When DAZ 4 came out DAZ stopped offering them and that is when the rules went back to what we currently see.

As a host you can change the rules. I have yet to see Music put a stop to when a host says that certain post work is allowed or that you only have to provide 8 items verses the 10 required by the rule post. So we do have that option.

I would like to see K4, SP3, A4, V3, M2, Cookie, Koshini, Gumdrops, D3, Judy, Ryan or any base humanoid figures be allowed in the base rules. I would like to change the rule to say that you can use any paid for base humanoid figure. They are no count. If a morph package is used to create the character and you have to pay for it then that goes into the paid for column. If you want to counter balance this with upping the freebie count to say 15. I think that can be done. Most of the renders we have seen have at least that number of freebies. You can always add rocks, flowers and plants to a render.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited September 2013

The reason that the gen 4 characters are included is as DG says, because they did used to be free, and of course are DAZ 3D figures.

The figures that are built into Poser are able to be used, as no counts as they come with the program, but not any other figures which are paid for add ons.

Any completely free alternative figures can also be used, as long as they remain free for the duration of the current Challenge.This doesn't include figures which come in the add on bonus packs with Poser, as they are also availalbe as paid for figures, so not strictly speaking free,

Originally this challenge was done to prove to people that you could create renders without paying a penny, hence why it is the freebie challenge. Originally it was a DS only challenge for this reason, but it was then decided that Poser should be included, as otherwise the challenge was excluding around 50% of the people who use the forums (and it was possible at one time to find a free legal version). Bryce was added because 5,5 was free for a long time, and then Bryce PLE and then of course Bryce itself was free for the longest time, not that there are too many of us who use it compared to DS and Poser.

If we include all the Paid for figures that are available it no longer becomes a freebie Challenge, simply a render challenge, and thus completely negates all the reasons for the Challenge in the first place.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822
    edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    For your consideration, Music, my entry. Critique if you wish.

Okay...but remember, you asked for it...

This is a lovely piece of work, in my opinion. Everything about it works. The lighting, the shadows, figure placement and posing are top notch. I particularly like the camera angle on this one as it gives a nice, all encompassing view. Dare I say it that there's a nice "warm and fuzzy" element of nostalgia to this piece without it being schmaltzy or cloying. In short...charming.

ok now LG....if you have something to say...just say it!

:-)

edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    music2u4u said:

Fits the theme perfectly. Very nice render. I love the lighting. Also his expression.

ENTRY ACCEPTED

Thanks Music. Yeah I suck at expressions but the fighting expression pack for Genesis has some really nice ones. I went back to see if there were any more and was bummed out when not only their ShareCG account was empty but their website was gone too. You know after collecting freebies for the past four years I would learn to investigate each package before saying oh I will never use that kind of thing in my renders. There are so many little gems.

and we are here to help you find those gems.

edited December 1969

jeeperz said:
    sorry to not get these yesterday. was off having fun celebrating my birthday. I won't tell you how old I am but it has a zero at the end (and it's NOT triple didgets). I'd like to say it has a 3 at the beginning.... but.... yeah can't say that one.....my daughter hit the big 40 last year.

3000?

:ohh:

edited December 1969

mmalbert said:
    Happy b-day, jeeperz! Hope you spoiled yourself rotten. :lol:

Several more very nice new renders, and a lot more inspired than mine. LOL!

music2u4u said:
    I still have the Bowery myself.

I do too! But I bought it. Was it really a freebie at one point? Dang.

I think the M3,V3 sets came with a freebie RR version. Maybe not. Otherwise, yes they would be paid fors.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    The reason that the gen 4 characters are included is as DG says, because they did used to be free, and of course are DAZ 3D figures.

The figures that are built into Poser are able to be used, as no counts as they come with the program, but not any other figures which are paid for add ons.

Any completely free alternative figures can also be used, as long as they remain free for the duration of the current Challenge.This doesn't include figures which come in the add on bonus packs with Poser, as they are also availalbe as paid for figures, so not strictly speaking free,

Originally this challenge was done to prove to people that you could create renders without paying a penny, hence why it is the freebie challenge. Originally it was a DS only challenge for this reason, but it was then decided that Poser should be included, as otherwise the challenge was excluding around 50% of the people who use the forums (and it was possible at one time to find a free legal version). Bryce was added because 5,5 was free for a long time, and then Bryce PLE and then of course Bryce itself was free for the longest time, not that there are too many of us who use it compared to DS and Poser.

If we include all the Paid for figures that are available it no longer becomes a freebie Challenge, simply a render challenge, and thus completely negates all the reasons for the Challenge in the first place.

Well maybe. I think the real issue here is that we do not have a clear understanding of what we want the challenge to be. Is it's goal to prove that you don't need a penny to create wonderful art? Or is it trying to showcase the depth and quality of our freebie communities efforts.

Through the years we have made changes that allowed Poser renders and Poser content to be used and we allow M4 and V4 base models to be no counts as well. We also allow Bryce to be used and it is no longer free. So we have got ourselves into a pickle because we say the purpose of the challenge is one thing but then we accept entries which do not support the purpose of the challenge.

I would really like to have a clear, dare I say "mission statement" for what the challenge is trying to achieve and a set of rules that support that mission statement. I think it is time. Do we say not a penny or only these pennies. And if we allow pennies then we should not be so picky about the type of pennies we will take.

As for what type of mission statement I would like, I do not have strong feelings for any particular focus. I would be okay with what ever is selected as long as the point of the challenge and the rules support each other. So no half pennies okay?

edited September 2013

It is this sort of discussion that has almost killed the Freebie Challenge on a couple of occasions in the past, because they always get so m#impassioned and always drift widely away from the whole concept of the freebie challenge.

If you read through and check the evolution of the first Challenges, which are all posted in the links in the Rules post, stickied at the top of the forum you will see that we have in fact bent over backwards trying to accommodate changes, but it gets to a stage where you set a definitive set of rules and stick with them, pretty well.

I think That Music has done a really good job of setting out the rules without making them overly complicated, and these rules are accepted by everyone, including Daz 3D and the ETO team.

This is the longest running Challenge or Contest on the Daz 3D forums, and always the best, because it is such a whacky and wild contest, frequently drifts off topic, but comes back all by itself, has fun and games and a wonderful atmosphere without any arguments about the rpice of sliced bread or any such thing.

Can we try and keep it up doing that for another 6 years, as we are nearly at the end of year six of this challenge.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

music2u4u said:
    jeeperz said:

3000?

:ohh:

Some days I feel 3000. But close music, very close....

edited December 1969

Dollygirl said:
    chohole said:

Well maybe. I think the real issue here is that we do not have a clear understanding of what we want the challenge to be. Is it's goal to prove that you don't need a penny to create wonderful art? Or is it trying to showcase the depth and quality of our freebie communities efforts.

Through the years we have made changes that allowed Poser renders and Poser content to be used and we allow M4 and V4 base models to be no counts as well. We also allow Bryce to be used and it is no longer free. So we have got ourselves into a pickle because we say the purpose of the challenge is one thing but then we accept entries which do not support the purpose of the challenge.

I would really like to have a clear, dare I say "mission statement" for what the challenge is trying to achieve and a set of rules that support that mission statement. I think it is time. Do we say not a penny or only these pennies. And if we allow pennies then we should not be so picky about the type of pennies we will take.

As for what type of mission statement I would like, I do not have strong feelings for any particular focus. I would be okay with what ever is selected as long as the point of the challenge and the rules support each other. So no half pennies okay?

It's both dollygirl. And we DO have a clear mission statement in the post that music did for this contest. Yes there are some that get confused, but only because they aren't paying attention to the rules or are trying to fudge on them. We have allowed the V4, M4, because they used to be free and we do allow V3 and M3 as well as A3 because they were free for many years and without the characters we would have to up the paid items to include them. We have left it open for the host to allow K4 and other characters if they so choose. For many renders I try to do ONLY free items with no paid. It's hard, but not impossible. In showing that you don't have to spend lots of money to make a great render we ARE showcasing the the great places to get these items. As far as the programs we allow, we had to draw the line somewhere to avoid confusion. It works better and as chohole stated, this contest started out DS only leaving out many like myself that use Poser and got it for free many years ago. Bryce the same thing.

edited December 1969

This is what the rule says:

3. Base figures (V4, K4, Genesis and M4) don’t count as a purchased item or a freebie and may be used as needed.

If it had said "(only V4, K4, Genesis and M4)" then I wouldn't have asked my question. See, I wasn't sure if this was an example list of base figures or a list of the only base figures allowed.

As it turns out, it's okay to use the Mil3 figures that were at download.com for years -- which included H3, and I'm pretty sure he came with all his morphs. So maybe these should also be listed? If the rule is written as something like "Only these base figures are allowed in the contest: XX, YY, etc." then there's no room for confusion or argument.

I'm more bewildered by what I see as the randomness of the "free/not free/was free but isn't free now" than anything else. I already mentioned I can do what I want within the stated limits, but it probably won't be as much fun.

And now, feeling guilty for asking questions, a NAE to return us to our regularly scheduled program.

Night Riders

A NAE because 1) postwork and 2) postwork obscured the freebies.

But here are the freebies I used, in case anyone is interested:

The L Twins K4 - http://www.pidgisplanet.net/3D/
    Twin Tails Hair - http://www.3digitalcrafts.net/studiomaya/1download/wig1/wig01.html
    Play Outfit K4 - No longer available
    Sandals, from Day Out - http://www.pfddelights.com/index.php?topic=36.0
    Mamachari Bicycle - http://lab108.x0.com/lab108/vehicle.html
    EXP H3 Hair - http://elleque.net/content/?p=858
    Time to Play K4 * - http://www.sharecg.com/v/41393/gallery/11/Poser/Time-To-Play
    TC Sneakers K4 - http://kctc.francemi.net/ (page 9, daz people)
    BMX Bike * - http://contentparadise.com/productDetails.aspx?id=23992
    Boston Terrier - http://www.morphography.uk.vu/dlkirwyn.html
    Tree, from The Hills * - http://www.sharecg.com/v/39996
    Morphing Fence - No longer available

No Count:

K4 Base

Other Stuff:

Background ** - http://redeyecat.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/night-sky_2800x2800.jpg
    Fine Threshold Plugin - http://www.mehdiplugins.com/english/finethreshold.htm
    Filter Forge Freepack 2 Photo Effects *** - http://www.filterforge.com/download/

* Requires registration
    ** I made it in Filter Forge. Please feel free to make use of it in any way.
    ** Free download; can be integrated to PS/PSP as a plugin, but also used as a stand alone app without either image editor.

Night-Riders-Sm.jpg
    800 x 800 - 249K
    edited December 1969

mmalbert said:

3. Base figures (V4, K4, Genesis and M4) don’t count as a purchased item or a freebie and may be used as needed.

If it had said "(only V4, K4, Genesis and M4)" then I wouldn't have asked my question. See, I wasn't sure if this was an example list of base figures or a list of the only base figures allowed.

As it turns out, it's okay to use the Mil3 figures that were at download.com for years -- which included H3, and I'm pretty sure he came with all his morphs. So maybe these should also be listed? If the rule is written as something like "Only these base figures are allowed in the contest: XX, YY, etc." then there's no room for confusion or argument.

I'm more bewildered by what I see as the randomness of the "free/not free/was free but isn't free now" than anything else. I already mentioned I can do what I want within the stated limits, but it probably won't be as much fun.

And now, feeling guilty for asking questions, a NAE to return us to our regularly scheduled program.

Night Riders

A NAE because 1) postwork and 2) postwork obscured the freebies.

But here are the freebies I used, in case anyone is interested:

The L Twins K4 - http://www.pidgisplanet.net/3D/
    Twin Tails Hair - http://www.3digitalcrafts.net/studiomaya/1download/wig1/wig01.html
    Play Outfit K4 - No longer available
    Sandals, from Day Out - http://www.pfddelights.com/index.php?topic=36.0
    Mamachari Bicycle - http://lab108.x0.com/lab108/vehicle.html
    EXP H3 Hair - http://elleque.net/content/?p=858
    Time to Play K4 * - http://www.sharecg.com/v/41393/gallery/11/Poser/Time-To-Play
    TC Sneakers K4 - http://kctc.francemi.net/ (page 9, daz people)
    BMX Bike * - http://contentparadise.com/productDetails.aspx?id=23992
    Boston Terrier - http://www.morphography.uk.vu/dlkirwyn.html
    Tree, from The Hills * - http://www.sharecg.com/v/39996
    Morphing Fence - No longer available

No Count:

K4 Base

Other Stuff:

Background ** - http://redeyecat.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/night-sky_2800x2800.jpg
    Fine Threshold Plugin - http://www.mehdiplugins.com/english/finethreshold.htm
    Filter Forge Freepack 2 Photo Effects *** - http://www.filterforge.com/download/

* Requires registration
    ** I made it in Filter Forge. Please feel free to make use of it in any way.
    ** Free download; can be integrated to PS/PSP as a plugin, but also used as a stand alone app without either image editor.

Oooh I like that one. You could show the unpostworked version as an entry and the non postworked one as well, that has happened in the past.

edited December 1969

mmalbert said:

You should not feel guilty about asking the question. Music tells you to do that in the rules thread. He has made it clear that discussions about rules are to be addressed in the monthly challenge thread. You did good to ask before the month you were interested in using the items.
    I agree with Cho about your entry. It is so charming can we see what you did before the post work, please?

• Lord GanthorLord Ganthor Posts: 592
    edited December 1969

mmalbert said:

Night Riders

Hey! Wott da...wott's dat !@#$% mutt of mine doin' chasin' afta dem kids like dat! Wait'll I git my hands on him, dat li'll....

An' anudder t'ing, discussin' dis t'ing about da price of sliced bread...it's an outrage I tell ya! We're payin' way too much dese days!

Shut up, Louie...

That's a pretty piece of work. You're making me very envious here...I can remember nights like that...