Let's appreciate/discuss today's new releases - more ongoinger thread

ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,304
This discussion was created from comments split from: Let's appreciate/discuss today's new releases - ongoing thread.

Comments

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,304

... or quantum vibrations in 'microtubules' inside brain neurons

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/01/140116085105.htm

• RandWulfRandWulf Posts: 161

Richard Haseltine said:

Just a note that the two characters have now been given Editorial Licenses - any purchasers should have/be getting a partial refund automatically and of course there is an offer of a full refund.

A partial refund?   I don't see that...

barbult said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Just a note that the two characters have now been given Editorial Licenses - any purchasers should have/be getting a partial refund automatically and of course there is an offer of a full refund.

We were previously assured that license terms would not change after purchase. It doesn't affect me personally, but I am disappointed to see that policy be changed. So when is any purchase safe from license change now?

Excellent question...

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,027

protosynthetic said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onion_dome

Though one explanation I've seen posited that wasn't in there was because snow falls off them easily.

Basically boils down to the fact that Russians adopted Christianity from the Byzantines, and those were features of their architecture. It's not the same Catholicism as the rest of Europe.

I went and Googled Onion Domes and faith and got a paragraph that might apply to Russian Orthodox Church via the Byzantines or Greek Orthodox Church. 

"Onion domes are popularly believed to symbolize burning candles. Similar dome shapes: helmet-shaped, pear-shaped. Numbers: Onion domes often appear in groups of three, representing the Holy Trinity, or five, representing Jesus Christ and the Four Evangelists. Domes standing alone represent Jesus." Buffalo Architecture and History.

When I was stationed in Greece, I will be honest, I paid more attention to the Ancient Greek architecture's remaining buildings. But we have a Greek Orthodox Church a block or so from my home and it is a huge, single dome, covered in gold leaf or its likeness. But that quote from the Buffalo Architecture and History answered my question if the domes had a religious history.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,268

RandWulf said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Did you purchase before the license type changed, a bit before my post?

Richard Haseltine said:

RandWulf said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Did you purchase before the license type changed, a bit before my post?

I checked the license after I placed it in my cart on July 11, and it did not have the editorial license restriction, so they must have changed it after that point -- and if they did, there was no notification that it had changed.  I have no idea what time of day I completed the purchase -- some time in the afternoon.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,908

We were notified that the license was added at 11:00am Daz time, so right around there some time. If you purchased before that then submit a ticket.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,866

I don't know if they've done this before, but Tentman's latest product, dForce Assassin Fighter Outfit, includes a wireframe promo with poly counts.

• protosyntheticprotosynthetic Posts: 117

Gordig said:

I don't know if they've done this before, but Tentman's latest product, dForce Assassin Fighter Outfit, includes a wireframe promo with poly counts.

Just peeked at a few of their other products, and yeah, it's there. Nice stuff to know, that feels like it should be a more common courtesy. Would save buying some punishing set and having to refund it later because each part has seven-digit poly...

• EboshijaanaEboshijaana Posts: 481

https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-ak-fashionable-short-hair-for-genesis-9-8-and-81

So far good, though it being root radius means you can't really edit it.

I just wish the PA had included a manual for their custom shader.

• Gordig said:

That's a lovely touch. Another thing I like is when iartists show surface maps too.

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,866

@Hylas If you were well-versed in geography, anatomy, or the NT prior to the turn of the century, look at Central and South America, kidneys and "interstitium," and "forgive us our trespasses."

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,416

The new Fabiana bundle looks good! Went straight into my cart.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,897

xyer0 said:

@Hylas If you were well-versed in geography, anatomy, or the NT prior to the turn of the century, look at Central and South America, kidneys and "interstitium," and "forgive us our trespasses."

you shall not be forgiven! rofl

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,681
    edited July 16

caravelle said:

Absolutely agreed, and here's the link for future reference: https://www.daz3d.com/fk-dforce-luxe-chains-for-genesis-8-81-and-9-bundle. I love it how she keeps searching and finding new ways to do stuff instead of just releasing the same old over and over again. These chains look excellent and more realistic than anything we've had like this in dForce before, I believe. She just rocks. yes

Post edited by tsroemi on
  • Write IdeaWrite Idea Posts: 300

tsroemi said:

caravelle said:

Absolutely agreed, and here's the link for future reference: https://www.daz3d.com/fk-dforce-luxe-chains-for-genesis-8-81-and-9-bundle. I love it how she keeps searching and finding new ways to do stuff instead of just releasing the same old over and over again. These chains look excellent and more realistic than anything we've had like this in dForce before, I believe. She just rocks. yes

Agreed!  Purchased the bundle straight away. They drap very nicely.  I'm so glad she finally sells here on DAZ (I have a few of her products from Renderosity).

If @Fabiana is listening, I think Livery Collars would be a nice addition to her products.

• FabianaFabiana Posts: 141

tsroemi said:

caravelle said:

Agreed!  Purchased the bundle straight away. They drap very nicely.  I'

If @Fabiana is listening, I think Livery Collars would be a nice addition to her products.

Hello, and thanks for the comments. I see the forums :) That's a great idea, it goes right to my to-do list! I'm training myself about more chains and other things! Fabi
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,831
    edited July 17

Yes of course! Fabiana products jump right into the cart and into the runtime via DIM.

G9 Male Mix Tyler Curly hair Retro Biker_Default Camera.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited July 17

If you bought Cybertenko items, check them carefully. I bought the Retro Biker for G8M, which I used in the image above with Fabianas great new chains. The jacket has unwelded parts that separate and curve unnaturally and make holes in the garment, because of the smoothing that is applied by default when the item is loaded (screenshot). There is only one morph in the jacket (to fit over a thick T-shirt). There are no JCMs to help adjust to posing. I had a horrible time in Blender trying to make this thing look decent for my render. I don't believe this particular item is Daz ready at all. Of course there is no metadata, since it is imported from another store in a big batch of stuff. Buyer beware applies here.

Screenshot 2024-07-17 173025.jpg
    1748 x 1800 - 846K
  • lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,156

The Monkey King Staff Collection has amazing details. https://www.daz3d.com/monkey-king-staff-collection

The Imperial King Armor looks great too. https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-imperial-king-armor-for-genesis-9

• generalgameplayinggeneralgameplaying Posts: 517
    edited July 18

lou_harper said:

The Monkey King Staff Collection has amazing details. https://www.daz3d.com/monkey-king-staff-collection

The Imperial King Armor looks great too. https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-imperial-king-armor-for-genesis-9

TBH the staffs caught my eye a lot too. Also the extra pose set, not included in the pro bundle, has a pose where the staff is held on the very edge, a rarity.

With the imperial king armor i find the supposedly less protected middle a bit large, but of course that's the realism approach (assuming at least today's standard for one plate of body armor as the minimum protection area for the hard impacts - in sci-fi you could argue, that the stretchy parts essentially have the same protection, but come in at a ridiculous price in comparison). Otherwise i also liked some of the other content of that bundle, e.g. chimp with a certain expression, but currently i'm not buying this immediately at the price. Maybe later (the bundle, i'll sleep over the staffs)...

Post edited by generalgameplaying on

barbult said:

If you bought Cybertenko items, check them carefully. I bought the Retro Biker for G8M, which I used in the image above with Fabianas great new chains. The jacket has unwelded parts that separate and curve unnaturally and make holes in the garment, because of the smoothing that is applied by default when the item is loaded (screenshot). There is only one morph in the jacket (to fit over a thick T-shirt). There are no JCMs to help adjust to posing. I had a horrible time in Blender trying to make this thing look decent for my render. I don't believe this particular item is Daz ready at all. Of course there is no metadata, since it is imported from another store in a big batch of stuff. Buyer beware applies here.

Thanks, that's good to know. I still have some items of his in my wishlist at Rendo, stuff that nobody else seems to make (like accurate nuns' headwear from different orders and such). Will be extra careful with what I choose. Hope you still managed a good render in the end for all your troubles! 

edited July 18

tsroemi said:

barbult said:

Thanks, that's good to know. I still have some items of his in my wishlist at Rendo, stuff that nobody else seems to make (like accurate nuns' headwear from different orders and such). Will be extra careful with what I choose. Hope you still managed a good render in the end for all your troubles! 

I bought it to discount other items in the cart, so I feel morally obligated to keep it. I've now spent most of a day welding the loose pieces in Blender, adjusting some weight mapping, and adding some JCMs to make it more usable for me. The texturing looks pretty nice, I think. This product makes me wonder what, if any, QA checking is done on these imported products, and what their standards are. Are the Rendo items you are interested in advertised as DS items?

• barbult said:

tsroemi said:

barbult said:

I bought it to discount other items in the cart, so I feel morally obligated to keep it. I've now spent most of a day welding the loose pieces in Blender, adjusting some weight mapping, and adding some JCMs to make it more usable for me. The texturing looks pretty nice, I think. This product makes me wonder what, if any, QA checking is done on these imported products, and what their standards are. Are the Rendo items you are interested in advertised as DS items?

Did it load weirdly or did it get wonky after applying a pose?

paulawp (marahzen) said:

barbult said:

tsroemi said:

barbult said:

Did it load weirdly or did it get wonky after applying a pose?

The jacket loads with Base Shape Matching smoothing enabled, and that leaves gaps between the multiple unwelded seams (a couple are shown in the screenshot I posted before.) It loads with one of the lapel buttons hanging off the edge of the fabric. The buttons are not rigid follow node props, they are just a mesh surface, so they distort with character morphs and poses. With no custom JCMs, poses with arms up are kind of a mess, as is usual when there are no JCMs for loose clothing. The collar of the jacket intersects itself and the underarms are very stretched and jagged. in my opinion, it is just not Daz Store quality. But I do like the texturing and modeled wrinkles. The denim jeans look good to me. I haven't really examined them for problems. I was so struck by the jacket issues.

• LilwolffLilwolff Posts: 184

I am really excited to put https://www.daz3d.com/character-mixer-version-2-for-genesis-8-and-9 this mixer from 3D Universe in my cart. I have the first one and happily, without hesitation, smileygrab this one too! 

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,633

Lilwolff said:

I am really excited to put https://www.daz3d.com/character-mixer-version-2-for-genesis-8-and-9 this mixer from 3D Universe in my cart. I have the first one and happily, without hesitation, smileygrab this one too! 

I just wish  the was an extra discount for those of us  who have the original.

• DeeceyDeecey Posts: 128

I purchased the figure mixer but I have a dumb question. How do you get it to appear AND REMAIN in the DAZ UI?  The only thing I could figure out was navigating to the folder that contains the app and double clicking it. The app opens, but only for that session. 

barbult said:

tsroemi said:

barbult said:

I think they must be, since they're for G8. Will better check again though. I guess I won't mind that much if the clothes don't work all that well because I'm mostly after the headwear in each case, and these will probably not pose much of a problem. But these unwelded bits and pieces just shouldn't happen in general, that is just sloppy modelling. 

Deecey said:

I purchased the figure mixer but I have a dumb question. How do you get it to appear AND REMAIN in the DAZ UI?  The only thing I could figure out was navigating to the folder that contains the app and double clicking it. The app opens, but only for that session. 

I didn't buy it, so I can only offer general advice. If it is a plugin, you can load it as a tab and keep it open. If it is a script, it cannot stay open; you have to close it and open it again each time. I didn't see anything on the product page that ways which it is.