Let's appreciate/discuss today's new releases - more ongoinger thread

Comments

• SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 716

I like the more square face shape for Thomas, but even his neutral expression looks angry. 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,833

SilverGirl said:

I like the more square face shape for Thomas, but even his neutral expression looks angry. 

It the result of all those steroids. wink

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,908

ArtAngel said:

Nath said:

Hmm, I thought I liked https://www.daz3d.com/bw-the-night-hunter-outfit-for-genesis-9. That pointed thigh armour does look a bit like it could lead to an unfortunate groin-impaling incident though. The rest of the bundle, well... the Mathis hair looks nice, and I wishlisted it.

There's nothing like reinstalling your existing content to bring home how much one doesn't actually need anything new... 

It was looking good until I ran into the 3 items with the editorial license. Was surprised at the https://www.daz3d.com/vigilante-poses-for-genesis-9-base poses having one. The Mathis Hair reminds me of Ron Perlman.

He's the very first thing that came to mind when I saw it, especially with the cigar in hand.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,386

frank0314 said:

ArtAngel said:

Nath said:

Hmm, I thought I liked https://www.daz3d.com/bw-the-night-hunter-outfit-for-genesis-9. That pointed thigh armour does look a bit like it could lead to an unfortunate groin-impaling incident though. The rest of the bundle, well... the Mathis hair looks nice, and I wishlisted it.

There's nothing like reinstalling your existing content to bring home how much one doesn't actually need anything new... 

It was looking good until I ran into the 3 items with the editorial license. Was surprised at the https://www.daz3d.com/vigilante-poses-for-genesis-9-base poses having one. The Mathis Hair reminds me of Ron Perlman.

He's the very first thing that came to mind when I saw it, especially with the cigar in hand.

Same here

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,312
    Thomas 9 reminds me a bit of Alan Ritchson.
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,774

SolitarySandpiper said:

I like the new character Thomas but the pro bundle is awful... the only thing worth having over the starter bundle is Mathis hair, the Cryptid Heroes outfit looks like a cheap fancy dress costume.

Edit: with the discounts (89%) maybe i'm being a bit harsh, the character, the 2 hair products, the Entrepreneur outfit and maybe the elder shape are pretty good value for $22.59. 

you using tokens? I can only get to $64 

• I do wish they would start including the HD morph with the character again, rather than as a separate purchase. It feels like a bit of a rip-off after including it with the orginal G9 releases. 

• RiggswolfeRiggswolfe Posts: 905

SolitarySandpiper said:

I like the new character Thomas but the pro bundle is awful... the only thing worth having over the starter bundle is Mathis hair, the Cryptid Heroes outfit looks like a cheap fancy dress costume.

Edit: with the discounts (89%) maybe i'm being a bit harsh, the character, the 2 hair products, the Entrepreneur outfit and maybe the elder shape are pretty good value for $22.59. 

How did you get the price so low?

• SolitarySandpiperSolitarySandpiper Posts: 510
    edited August 1

Riggswolfe said:

SolitarySandpiper said:

How did you get the price so low?

8 tokens, 35% extra for a additional new product, that new product being the face control one from a couple days ago (another 20%)  finaly i used my monthly daz+ coupon.

Capture8.PNG
    2009 x 1030 - 310K
    Post edited by SolitarySandpiper on
  • Ryuu@AMcCFRyuu@AMcCF Posts: 650

I'm not complaining about the Cryptid Heroes Outfits--this looks quite faithful to DC's Batman and his fellow knockoff characters. (Of course, I've snagged this before it can be taken down like the Star Trek stuff was removed)

My puzzlement is with DC: I've never understood WHY they even came up with the open eyeholes, especially in the movies, requiring the characters (& actors) to grease-smear their eyelids?? It doen's make for easily switching to their civilian identities as that mess wouldn't be easily washed off--assuming a nearby bathroom sink was available.

The comics frequently omitted the open eye and opted instead to draw them with covering/concealing lenses (which would easily allow for a HUDS to be built into the masks). And after all, such an obscuring feature makes for a much creapier looking figure.

• backgroundbackground Posts: 379

If they covered up the eyes in the movies then the actor could be a total unknown, and not the big star that the audience pay to see.

• Ryuu@AMcCFRyuu@AMcCF Posts: 650

background said:

If they covered up the eyes in the movies then the actor could be a total unknown, and not the big star that the audience pay to see.

Seeing as how much of his face is covered by the Batman mask, the eyes are NOT going to make or break recognizing hiim.

Besides, one can tell from the chin and mouth much easier anyhow.

• columbinecolumbine Posts: 386

I also immediately thought of Ron Perlman when I saw the hero image for the Mathis hair, though there's some images further along that make me think Brian Cox. I bookmarked the hair and will probably buy it eventually. I also like the European Minor Thug suit AKA the Entrepreneur Outfit; that gets bookmarked today too. If the pricing today were 'additional discounts for more than one new release' I might just buy both, but all the additional discounts today are tied to buying the bundles or Thomas himself, so I'll buy neither.

What I want to know is, do we think that Thomas is based on any particular actor. I've been looking up faces right and left and I can't find any that bear a strong resemblance, and yet he seems so familiar ... possibly it's because this particular style of thug is becoming an archetype, especially as seen in the hero image on the Entrepreneur Outfit page, with that particular bad hair and that particular bad beard and that particular dark suit which in no way conceals that he's overbuilt to wear the thing. I can't count the number of films I've seen in the last twenty years where this exact guy is the villain's main private-security/bodyguard/henchman whom the heroes must eventually defeat first to get to the main boss. Except they're all played by different guys who all happen to look exactly alike.

edited August 1

He's not got his own thread (unassuming as he is) but this thread will do nicely...

2408010102-2.jpg
    2716 x 2738 - 6M
  • GoggerGogger Posts: 2,370
    edited August 1

What I want to know is, do we think that Thomas is based on any particular actor. I've been looking up faces right and left and I can't find any that bear a strong resemblance, and yet he seems so familiar ...

There are subtle, little things that make me think just maybe Ben Affleck? A little. More like he brings Ben to mind, not LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE. Could just be expression in the eyes and mouth in certain poses (ESPECIALLY the image above by SolitarySandpiper).

Post edited by Gogger on
  • nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,377

Gogger said:

What I want to know is, do we think that Thomas is based on any particular actor. I've been looking up faces right and left and I can't find any that bear a strong resemblance, and yet he seems so familiar ...

There are subtle, little things that make me think just maybe Ben Affleck? A little. More like he brings Ben to mind, not LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE. Could just be expression in the eyes and mouth in certain poses (ESPECIALLY the image above by SolitarySandpiper).

Alan Ritchson.... Same height, same build, same beard...

• GoggerGogger Posts: 2,370
    edited August 1

nemesis10 said:

Gogger said:

Going back and looking at the whole bundle, I would agree Alan Ritchson more so.

Post edited by Gogger on
    edited August 1

Using the Elder body morph...

Wasn't happy with the render so flipped it to B&W... looked much better.

24080102.jpg
    3000 x 3000 - 6M
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,833

SolitarySandpiper said:

Using the Elder body morph...

Wasn't happy with the render so flipped it to B&W... looked much better.

Have you noticed the strange texture on the jacket with this material preset. The left sleeve plaid is on the bias (diagonal) and the right sleeve is straight. Maybe it has a strange UV. I saw that in the promo images. It is not a problem you created in your render.

edited August 2

barbult said

Have you noticed the strange texture on the jacket with this material preset. The left sleeve plaid is on the bias (diagonal) and the right sleeve is straight. Maybe it has a strange UV. I saw that in the promo images. It is not a problem you created in your render.

How unfortunate but i'm not suprised, a lot of the smart-casual clothing that gets shipped with the male bundles is kinda janky.

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,312

There are much better versions of that outfit in the store, ones that look like the garments they are meant to represent. 

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,868

Timbales said:

Thomas 9 reminds me a bit of Alan Ritchson.

barbult said:

SilverGirl said:

It the result of all those steroids. wink

For what it's worth, Alan Ritchson actually said, in an interview, that he had to use testosterone to build his body for "Reacher". They wanted him to gain 30 pounds of muscle in a very short time, and he hurt himself trying to do it without hormones. He has said that he doesn't recommend doing the whole testosterone thing, however.

Somewhat more on topic, I'm a bit surprised that Thomas 9 HD option doesn't seem to do more. From the look of the promo images, it looks like all it really does is additional skin details. Usually the HD for the more muscular guys provides more muscular details as well, but  there doesn't seem to be any of that here.

Not sure I'd ever use them, but it's nice that the accessories are all smart-propped and, presumably, come with hand poses.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

Not really new but new to me, I bought the XI Commercial Center + Christmas Add-On, Christmas Tree Sale Lot, and all the Chihauhau & Bully producys the last couple of days. I had to force yself to buy the Bully products as I don't like them at all. I only like the Grey & Dire Wolves of having all the DAZ Dog 8 dogs.

What I really would like is that DAZ 3D do a similar cat series?! What Oso3D did was nice embellishment to the Millenium DAZ Cat but when need a modern DAZ 8 Cat, or better yet, DAZ 9 Cat seeing as cats have 9 Lives.

• I'll admit it ... I bought "Face Control" to trigger discounts. But now that I'm testing my recent new stuff, I find that it's actually kind of cool, and for me, was worth picking up for the eye posing.

Yes, of course I have "Look At Me II" and "Eye Clock", and I use them often, but I added shortcuts for Face Control items to my shortcut collection, because I can see myself using this with some frequency also.

Face Control for Genesis 9 | Daz 3D

(OK, yes, it's from a few days ago, but still pretty new.)

• SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 716

paulawp (marahzen) said:

I'll admit it ... I bought "Face Control" to trigger discounts. But now that I'm testing my recent new stuff, I find that it's actually kind of cool, and for me, was worth picking up for the eye posing.

Yes, of course I have "Look At Me II" and "Eye Clock", and I use them often, but I added shortcuts for Face Control items to my shortcut collection, because I can see myself using this with some frequency also.

Have you found the mouth posing portion to have good results? That's the one I'm on the fence for. I have a lot of expression packs, some with separate upper/lowers, and of course I have some dial slider stuff too, but it can be a real hassle trying to accomplish a minor tweak, sometimes.

• joannajoanna Posts: 1,283

paulawp (marahzen) said:

I'll admit it ... I bought "Face Control" to trigger discounts. But now that I'm testing my recent new stuff, I find that it's actually kind of cool, and for me, was worth picking up for the eye posing.

Is it any good for extreme expressions? The original promo images show what feels like a slightly different take on the same expression. 

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,684

paulawp (marahzen) said:

I bought it too, was actually quite pleased with it popping up in the store. Turning dials feels so unnatural oftentimes, so this comes in handy. It's not the same as tweaking the facial bones directly, but a step in the right direction literally. Haven't gotten round to playing with it yet though, so would also love to hear your experiences with it so far! 

• NathNath Posts: 2,769

I found it unwieldy and counter-intuitive when I tried it. Glad others do like it though.

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,641
    edited August 5

Gogger said:

nemesis10 said:

Gogger said:

Going back and looking at the whole bundle, I would agree Alan Ritchson more so.

Or maybe checkout google https:// weddingentertainment.com/act/ron-pearman

Edit: And the link leads to a 404 unless you copy and paste the link (delete the space after //) into the search bar.

@SolitarrySandpiper very nice! Now he reminds me of Adam Lambert (love his witty sense of humor)  for some weird reason. I am so tempted to buy this bundle or at least some of it.

Edit: Never mind. Forget the link. It's fickle. Here's a screenshot.

RonP.JPG
    1536 x 1169 - 144K
    Post edited by ArtAngel on
  • tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,684

Nath said:

I found it unwieldy and counter-intuitive when I tried it. Glad others do like it though.

Oh, very sorry to hear that! I hope I'll like it more ...