Let's appreciate/discuss today's new releases - more ongoinger thread

Comments

• SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 716

Trying to decide on today's GT... it says it works on all PBR skins.

Is all of G9 PBR, or do I need to go back and look up each individual texture I've used?

• ElorElor Posts: 1,095
    edited September 6

SilverGirl said:

Is all of G9 PBR, or do I need to go back and look up each individual texture I've used?

I only bought Genesis 9 figures from here, but all have PBRSkin as far as I can tell. Mousso and Justspitey also provide, alongside PBRSkin settings, Iray Uber settings (and I think may load by default with Iray Uber settings) so if you're using one of their characters, you'll have to make sure you're using the PBRSkin settings.

If you have characters from other stores (or freebies), it's possible some are only provided with Iray Uber settings (it happened with Genesis 8.1 characters but I don't remember having Genesis 9 characters from other stores / freebies).

In case you don't remember where to look, an example with Lorienne, by Mousso, the name of the shader is visible in the Surface Panel with the character selected in the scene panel. Here's how it look by default:

Then I loaded one of the PBRSkin setting:

I have not bought the product yet (I rarely buy something before the end of a day), but if you don't already had the opportunity to get a V3Digitimes' product, she's providing great support and will answer any question on the discussion she's creating for each of them (even my dumbest ones). Here the one for today's GT:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/700386/released-wet-and-tanned-skins-for-genesis-9-commercial

Iray Uber.jpg
    196 x 368 - 16K
    PRBSkin.jpg
    193 x 337 - 14K
    Post edited by Elor on

Oh, fabulous... thank you so much for that detailed response. (And I actually had no idea where to look and was just planning on looking up the product page and hoping the info was there, so I have a new skill now, too! Awesome!)

• MoreTNMoreTN Posts: 255

I think Texture Booster by V3Digitimes can one-click convert Iray Uber skins to PBR but I've not tried it for that. If it does, today would be a good day to buy it.

MoreTN said:

I think Texture Booster by V3Digitimes can one-click convert Iray Uber skins to PBR but I've not tried it for that. If it does, today would be a good day to buy it.

Cool! I have that one in my arsenal, but haven't needed/used it yet. 

• columbinecolumbine Posts: 386

If you were considering buying Chronos: Halls today, you might want to note that it is ridiculously huge. Probably because, according to the item page, it uses 4K textures (I haven't unpacked it yet) and has no lighter-weight options.

I wish PAs would understand that 4K textures are overkill for about 97% of what people use these kits for, and that contrary to what some of them apparently think, disk space is not infinite.

• To me, it is better to have it big and be able to resize it down than to just provide a low quality piece 

• benniewoodellbenniewoodell Posts: 1,950

I agree, I'd rather the textures be larger and resize them lower if need be. 

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,348

4K textures can in fact be too small for an enviroment when they are covering a large wall or floor without tiling. Any shots zoomed in so that only a small portion of that wall/floor will then start looking bad if the texture resolution is too small.

Naturally if you are zoomed right out and can see the whole of the wall or floor then 4K maybe too much, but whilst you can easily compress a 4K down to 2K or 1K, upscaling a 1K to the quality of a 4K is a lot harder.

Of course 4K textures on shirt buttons are pretty absurd in almost all situations.

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,684
    edited September 9

Ooh I love the new Golden Ticket, the Birmingham Street: https://www.daz3d.com/fn-birmingham-street

Post edited by tsroemi on
    edited September 9

Havos said:

4K textures can in fact be too small for an enviroment when they are covering a large wall or floor without tiling. Any shots zoomed in so that only a small portion of that wall/floor will then start looking bad if the texture resolution is too small.

Naturally if you are zoomed right out and can see the whole of the wall or floor then 4K maybe too much, but whilst you can easily compress a 4K down to 2K or 1K, upscaling a 1K to the quality of a 4K is a lot harder.

Of course 4K textures on shirt buttons are pretty absurd in almost all situations.

I suppose so. I tried a few tests, because I wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was missing. The three comparison shots attached are the distance from the wall where I could detect a difference between the three renders. When the camera was any further away from the wall than this, I could not see a difference at all. (EDIT: I should add to clarify: These are not walls from Chronos: Halls. They're surfaces from PBR Painted Metal Vol 1.)

So the question is, how often do you do renders this close to a surface? I guess if you have a lot of zoomed-in shots, maybe. Me, on the other hand, even though I can see a difference between these images, I don't much CARE because when I zoom in on a face like that I want you looking at the face, not the wall. Heck, I don't even expect you to notice that Randa's shoulders are clipping through her jacket! Heh.

The ideal, I suppose, would be to offer a choice of what resolutions you get in the same package (some kits do--the one I used here does--but most don't). But I also grant that's a lot of extra materials work sometimes, not to mention that it makes the installs even bigger ...

Anyway, this is a bit far afield of new-releases discussion, sorry. The wall surfaces in Chronos: Halls probably look awesome (I still haven't taken a look at it). I was just reacting grumpily to the sticker shock of "oh, look, a cute little modular hallway kit for a good price, I'll take it" and then getting 2 GB worth of install.

corrugated_d.png
    1000 x 1000 - 2M
    corrugated_e.png
    1000 x 1000 - 2M
    corrugated_f.png
    1000 x 1000 - 2M
    Post edited by columbine on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,908
    edited September 9

benniewoodell said:

If many wouldn't have objections because of file size we could include .png's in the products as well so there will be no loss in quality in resizing, but some have limited bandwidth so cannot download the product without sacrificing a lot of unnecessary bandwidth. Some do include .png now in their products but they are usually small products that don't take up much room.

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,774
    edited September 9

is it not possible with the new AI assists in image resizing to still get a very good enlargement?  I have enlarged photos quite a bit and they look good to me. 

Post edited by daveso on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,870

frank0314 said:

benniewoodell said:

If many wouldn't have objections because of file size we could include .png's in the products as well so there will be no loss in quality in resizing, but some have limited bandwidth so cannot download the product without sacrificing a lot of unnecessary bandwidth. Some do include .png now in their products but they are usually small products that don't take up much room.

What about an option for downloading higher-res/uncompressed textures? That way the people who want 4K PNGs can have them, and the people who don't want them don't have to download them?

edited September 9

frank0314 said:

benniewoodell said:

Chronos Halls' mats are all .pngs.

They're nice, but they're not (IMO) that nice.

The main surface for that hall segment, including some of the bracing as well as the part with the pattern, is a 32 MB png. (For the base surface. It also loads opacity map, metallicity map, height map, emission, etc but, while those are a bit larger than I'd like, it's the base files which are the real hogs here.) The surfaces also use the 4-layer shader which is ... an interesting choice.

This set, one of the three preassembled hallways offered in the kit, took nearly ten minutes to load into scene. Mind you, I'd deleted some other stuff in the working scene before I did that, and didn't start fresh ... which means the old stuff wasn't really deleted, which means it was still taking up memory, because Studio doesn't understand garbage collection ... but still, it was a long time for Studio to get its act together. (In fairness I should note that the set was not the least bit sluggish once loaded.) EDIT: I retried from a clean start and it loaded in about thirty seconds. So that first test was entirely Studio thrashing around deleted material, as it does, and not the set's fault.

halls.png
    1000 x 1000 - 2M
    Post edited by columbine on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,870

URHD Orla looks like a hell of a first product.

• Gordig said:

frank0314 said:

benniewoodell said:

What about an option for downloading higher-res/uncompressed textures? That way the people who want 4K PNGs can have them, and the people who don't want them don't have to download them?

Yeah, like with Kitbash 3D, in Cargo you can download the texture size you want, as well as if you want it as a JPG or PNG. Quixel Megascans does it as well, though I think they are JPG or EXR if I recall correctly. Other sites are doing it, might be something to think about for Daz. 

• Gordig said:

Right?! If I make a cart today, Orla will be in it. The detail in the HD mesh and the textures look fantastic.

• Gordig said:

weighs in at 1.3 GB for those worried about file size you get two standard and two hd versions normal and curvey at 8k, with the materials you have to apply 3 seperate coats it's all labled apply 1st, 2nd, 3rd but you gotta at moment scroll up and down to find each and takes a bit to load  still she looks nice 

• GoggerGogger Posts: 2,370

Gordig said:

Thanks for commenting! I had somehow failed to notice her, but when I saw your comment - right into my cart she goes!
  • lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,158

All sorts of useful to me product today. Playground, apron, normal t-shirt, fun poses,

• ElorElor Posts: 1,095

Barnabus Ragwort looks very nice but I have to ask wiser heads: is there an advantage to do a standalone figure like this one compared to what someone like @Rawart is doing (making fantasy figures based on Genesis) or is it just because 'I want to do it like that' (a fine reason) ?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,833

Elor said:

Barnabus Ragwort looks very nice but I have to ask wiser heads: is there an advantage to do a standalone figure like this one compared to what someone like @Rawart is doing (making fantasy figures based on Genesis) or is it just because 'I want to do it like that' (a fine reason) ?

In my opinion it is a disadvantage for the customer. What other clothing is going to fit it? It can't be mixed with other characters. I will be interested to hear what advantages other people can cite.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,035

barbult said:

Elor said:

In my opinion it is a disadvantage for the customer. What other clothing is going to fit it? It can't be mixed with other characters. I will be interested to hear what advantages other people can cite.

I guess Predatron can license it separately for games and such

and they are known for their standalones both humanoid and quadrupeds, I own and use quite a few

making a clone would not be hard

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,332
    edited September 12

Bought Mr Bobble and his addons with todays sale.

That was expanded to a number of sets, maybe something similar is planned for the latest figure ?

Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • I got Vyusur's Lyra, and have to confess that while I thought the character was a virtuoso performance in modelling, it was a problem for clothing etc.. It does create more effort in moving clothing across and takes more time for poses as they don't convert from G8 well.

Regards,

Richard

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

barbult said:

Elor said:

I guess Predatron can license it separately for games and such

and they are known for their standalones both humanoid and quadrupeds, I own and use quite a few

making a clone would not be hard

if you go further down the sales page he's released a few add ons to expand on him 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,035

on clones, I find the easiest thing to do is model a bodysuit around one figure then shape and fit it to another creating morphs for both, I edit the morph dsf in notepad to make it a modifier/clone instead of morph and fit clothing to it then to the figure

I have fitted clothing to Vyusur's Catoon this way, humanoid figures this is not too difficult but it's only a loose clothing fit not an exact clone, fingers and toes beyond me

• The potential benefit of a stand-alone figure is that the weight maps are made for that shape - a morph can have the joint centres changed but not the weight.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,833

Richard Haseltine said:

The potential benefit of a stand-alone figure is that the weight maps are made for that shape - a morph can have the joint centres changed but not the weight.

Interesting. Weight mapping is kind of black magic to me, so I don't really understand why a humanoid figure of a different size and shape would need unique weight mapping, but it is certainly nothing I ever considered. I figured there were things about stand alones that I didn't know about.