IrayTo3Delight conversion script

Comments

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

Try this link instead, it's this same thread, but for some reason it shows the extra links at the bottom of the post that are invisible if you visit the thread normally:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/139326/irayto3delight-conversion-script

• hphoenixhphoenix Posts: 1,335
    edited February 2017
    kyoto kid said:

...the only link I am seeing iw to Will's profile, and there is only one image (nothing happens when I click on it).

The very first post in the thread (by Esemwy) has 3 attachments.  A script, and two images.  Those are the files.

There isn't a link to any offsite package.  The files are here in the thread, on the very first post.

Post edited by hphoenix on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,930
    edited February 2017
    sriesch said:

Try this link instead, it's this same thread, but for some reason it shows the extra links at the bottom of the post that are invisible if you visit the thread normally:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/139326/irayto3delight-conversion-script

..thanks, yeah for some reason originally only the large image appeared in the post. That is really odd, a bug in the forum software perhaps?

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • AngluAnglu Posts: 42

My prayers have been heard! Thank you so much for this!

• SarunaSaruna Posts: 50

Thank you so much. I don't use Iray for renders.

• ImagoImago Posts: 5,037

Thanks! I'm a 3DLight "abuser" and this opens new possibilities to me!
    Great work!

• katfeetekatfeete Posts: 255

THANK YOU! I have been looking for something like this for AGES -- it will speed a lot of stuff up so much. :D

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,164

Thanks Guys this worked great I have been using the Omi-freaker Simple Shader conversions preset to converting iray to 3dl.   but then you got to do a ton of tweaking.. this is very help script much appreciate you guys efforts on this :).

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 26,104

I need this as the current computer I use does not support iRay. Now to look for other useful scripts to help the old computer work better.

Oh how do I install this?

• Wow I can't find this anywhere. The link don't work!?

• EsemwyEsemwy Posts: 578

Wow I can't find this anywhere. The link don't work!?

Were you logged in when you tried to download it? I just found that the links don't work unless you're logged in.

• EsemwyEsemwy Posts: 578

I need this as the current computer I use does not support iRay. Now to look for other useful scripts to help the old computer work better.

Oh how do I install this?

Jist copy the three files to the "Scripts" directory in your runtime. 

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,957

Just going to pipe up and say this script continues to be an important part of workflow, particularly when I'm doing art renders (which I usually do in 3DL).

Genesis 3 stuff is Iray only? no problem!

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723
    edited April 2017

Have been struggling with The Wraithgate, a product that has Iray material but claims to work well in 3Delight. Problem is, I can't get the Fire/Mana/Necro emissive colors to appear in 3Delight, and that's half the charm of this product.

So I decided to give your script a whirl, since Wraithgate is PBR Metallicity.

First, here is the Iray render, so you can see what I'm aiming for:

Next is what it looks like rendered in 3Delight with the Iray materials. It actually looks pretty good, except for the missing glowing colors:

And finally, what it looks like after converting the Iray materials using this wonderful script, and then changing ambient color to white and ambient strength to 900% on the Base and Ring surfaces!

Thank you timmins.william and @Esemwy! Now, I just need to figure out how to make it look less smooth and more rocky.

WraithgateIray.jpg
    848 x 847 - 342K
    Wraithgate3Delight.jpg
    848 x 847 - 351K
    WraithgateConverted.jpg
    848 x 847 - 315K
    Post edited by dawnblade on

Welcome! Esemwy did most of the work, I did testing. (and pitching ideas)

Might want to try upping Bump, or using the bump map for displacement.

How the script works?
    I'm trying to convert some shader, but everything I do seems to not make anything, not even an error message!

• manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,405

OMG! i'm so glad you guys made this and shared it with us! smiley

i can't use iray because my "new" 2nd hand laptop, unlike my previous netbook (yeah, netbook and DAZ - being broke sucks) DOES have nvidia... but it's still too lame. so, this script is a very appreciated gift! - AND i just tested it with 1 of the awesome iray shader pack collection by kaz42 & Nobiax i discovered yesterday, IT WORKS!  laugh

thanks a lot Esemwy and Will!

Imago: Which objects/shaders are you testing it with?

I don't think the script works with PBR Weighted or PBR Specular/glossy (I might be wrong), so you need to convert it to PBR Metallicity first.

It will DEFINITELY not work with the small number of non-standard Iray shaders out there, like the OOT hairblending, Mec4D procedural cloth, TerraDome3 terrain shader, and some of Stonemason's similar terrain shaders -- you could convert them to Iray Uber first and then apply the shader.

Welcome! Esemwy did most of the work, I did testing. (and pitching ideas)

Might want to try upping Bump, or using the bump map for displacement.

Thank you! I made the following adjustments and here is the render, which looks much closer to it being carved out of rock! smiley

There was no Bump Strength map after conversion, so I selected the one that corresponded to the Iray version, and turned it up to 200%. I also turned up Displacement Strength to 200%. Both of these use the same map, so not sure if it's overkill because I'm not sure what I'm doing. blush

There is a Glossiness Roughness in Iray that has a Roughness material map, but only a Glossiness in the converted version with no map. So I used the Roughness material for the Glossiness map.

There was no Normal map after conversion, so I selected the one that the Iray version had.

WraithgateConverted2.jpg
    848 x 847 - 357K
  • firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,459

Beautiful!

Thank you @firewarden!

Awesome!

Yeah, sometimes, with really involved stuff like that, I make a duplicate before conversion, so I can refer back to it as I tweak things.

Awesome!

Yeah, sometimes, with really involved stuff like that, I make a duplicate before conversion, so I can refer back to it as I tweak things.

Thank you! Your help is much appreciated.

Just an update that the PA OrestesGraphics contacted me and is looking into the 3Delight issue, so hopefully Wraithgate will be fixed soon. So nice to have this script in the meantime!

• WF3DWF3D Posts: 44

I just discovered this thread today, and this is definitely a much-needed solution to the growing number of items with Iray-only textures.  Thanks for making this available! 

Imago: Which objects/shaders are you testing it with?

I don't think the script works with PBR Weighted or PBR Specular/glossy (I might be wrong), so you need to convert it to PBR Metallicity first.

It will DEFINITELY not work with the small number of non-standard Iray shaders out there, like the OOT hairblending, Mec4D procedural cloth, TerraDome3 terrain shader, and some of Stonemason's similar terrain shaders -- you could convert them to Iray Uber first and then apply the shader.

You already answered me in my other thread, I'm trying to use the stock IRay shader for the frosted glass... No effects with other shaders though!

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 2,015

This script is want fora better word awesome, only just found this thread why the late date for the post.. But thank you, you have saved me from ending up in a white padded cell.. :)

• Just for completeness, is there also a 3Delight-to-Iray converter script floating around out there somewhere?

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 2,015

Just for completeness, is there also a 3Delight-to-Iray converter script floating around out there somewhere?

Not really needed since Iray can convert 3DL textures much more easily and with very few issues.. The reason for the script is that 3DL can not render Iray materials properly most of the time, there are the odd few that it can but in most cases when 3DL tries to render an object with Iray textures it either comes out horribly or not at all..

The biggest flaw going Iray > 3DL normally is that it doesn't understand Cutout Opacity, so all the opacity maps vanish. That's a problem if you are, say, trying to convert a _forest_ or something. It also tends to fumble with glossy/specular, but that's usually easier to muddle through.

So, yay script

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited July 2017

Do you have to do anything special with the opacity when using the script?  I tried using it the other day for something but it seemed like the opacity wasn't working as expected, I wasn't sure if that was something the script didn't catch that I had to do manually, or if it was unrelated to the script.

EDITED TO ADD:  I found what was happening in my earlier test case, the refraction needed to be set to 0, then opacity worked normally on the 2D transparency mapped object that I converted.

Post edited by sriesch on