IrayTo3Delight conversion script

Comments

• JQPJQP Posts: 511

"Because of your browser settings, paste doesn't work."

Nope. That's not my browser. It works fine everywhere else. It's the forum code.

You just gotta laugh...

• Gendragon3DGendragon3D Posts: 172

Very nice and great idea! Many thanks for sharing!

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157

I'm guessing this isn't meant for characters? lol

I'd REALLY like to be able to provide 3Delight materials for my characters but I know nothing about 3DL. I converted my character manually, but, IMO, it looks awful.

So I was hoping that this script would help me. But ...I got Zombie Girl instead lol:

Is there any plans in the works for a script that would transfer Iray characters to 3Delight compatible? :) That would be awesome! 

Your Zombie Girl look is more than likely caused by the normal map.  It's really unfortunate that in 3Delight there is no way to turn down the strength of the maps like you can in iRAY.  That's why when I'm making characters for both rendering engines I make a Displacement map which give you more control but be careful with those since they can pop out the skin too much when rendering causing poke throughs with outer layered clothing. The -min and +pos numeric inputs are your friends when setting up the displacement, not just the strength control slider!

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,957

On the plus side, bump and microdisplacement is so good in 3DL that you don't need Normals nearly as much as in Iray.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157

True dat but it would be nice to have 3Delight updated to allow for slider strength control

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,930

...yes

• CriosCrios Posts: 2,735
    RAMWolff said:

I'm guessing this isn't meant for characters? lol

I'd REALLY like to be able to provide 3Delight materials for my characters but I know nothing about 3DL. I converted my character manually, but, IMO, it looks awful.

So I was hoping that this script would help me. But ...I got Zombie Girl instead lol:

Is there any plans in the works for a script that would transfer Iray characters to 3Delight compatible? :) That would be awesome! 

Your Zombie Girl look is more than likely caused by the normal map.  It's really unfortunate that in 3Delight there is no way to turn down the strength of the maps like you can in iRAY.  That's why when I'm making characters for both rendering engines I make a Displacement map which give you more control but be careful with those since they can pop out the skin too much when rendering causing poke throughs with outer layered clothing. The -min and +pos numeric inputs are your friends when setting up the displacement, not just the strength control slider!

Can try to remove the Map from Surface table. In this way can work.

• Commenting so I don't have to go search for this later! I'm so interested in this! I have a house (https://www.daz3d.com/collective3d-long-island-mansion) that only has Iray presets and makes my renders take forever! 3Delight seems to be faster for my machine, but since this house is my main room for a number of images I'm making, I'm wondering if I'm making my computer work too hard to render an iray asset to 3dleight, along with AAAALLLL of my other assets in the scene. It's a big scene!

• how do i install these files please ?

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975
    edited May 2018

Commenting so I don't have to go search for this later! I'm so interested in this! I have a house (https://www.daz3d.com/collective3d-long-island-mansion) that only has Iray presets and makes my renders take forever! 3Delight seems to be faster for my machine, but since this house is my main room for a number of images I'm making, I'm wondering if I'm making my computer work too hard to render an iray asset to 3dleight, along with AAAALLLL of my other assets in the scene. It's a big scene!

Make sure to click on the star at the top of the page and you will be able to find it in your forum bookmarks   also if you put in the time to convert to 3Dl make sure to either save as a scene subset  then you don't have to do it again I usually save to the same folder that the Iray item came from

Post edited by carrie58 on
  • Kevan R_ CraftKevan R_ Craft Posts: 11
    edited June 2018

I know I'm late to the party but wow this script is amazing!

I've been using 3Delight shaders to convert Iray prop meshes material textures from Iray to 3Delight by flipping the various surface slots in DAZ Studio which means a lot of work replacing the diffuse and other textures.. It worked a treat but man, this .dsa DAZ Studio script does it in one go and retains the textures, diffuse, bumps, specular and normal maps etc.. I think I've died and gone to Heaven.. Fantastic work by Esemwy and timmins.william this is going to save me a bunch of work..

Thank you guys really is top work.. DAZ 3D should impliment this script as a default for DAZ Studio to go with their Iray uber base script..

Knocked out by this.. Thanks again, you guys rock!!

Kevan

Just read Oso3D'ss post about the cutout Opacity (Alpha) maps, bummer, no problem I'll have to add them manually.. I have to save the 3Delight converted Material presets anyways so its no bigggy.. Still an amazing and very useful script

Post edited by Kevan R_ Craft on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,957

I think you misunderstood! 

Just converting normally, you lose opacity maps.

But with this script you don’t. 

• Okay, I feel REALLY dumb asking this but how do you use it? I've got the three files together and can find their folder in my content library pane. One file shows up labeled "IrayTo#Delight" with the image for it being a "!" in a triangle with a frame around it. Clicking on it doesn't seem to do anything. What am I missing?

• Hello Guys,

I just tried the script, but Metallic parts remain dielectric, no 'metalness' added for the metal parts in 3delight. Is it normal?

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,787

I think I'm doing something wrong ... I can't seem to get it to do anything.

Okay so you've got the script installed ,you have selected the item you want to convert in the scene tab and in the surface tab ,and then you click on the script to run it  ........yes? now check surface tab  does it look different ?

• Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,208
    edited May 2019

Not sure anyone is still watching this thread to answer questions... For the script to work you MUST SELECT THE ITEM YOU WANT TO CONVERT.  If you don't select anything it doesn't work.  I have also been able to select multiple items and convert them all at once... I just make sure I select everything I want converted in the SCENE TAB AND SURFACE TAB selected...then click the Irayto3Delight icon. 

There WILL be some fiddling... especially for characters... The EYE MOISTURE and CORNEA will need their Opacity turned off... for one... But in general I find with PROPs no fiddling is needed.

Hope this helps.  ENJOY!

Post edited by Llola Lane on
  • frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

You may need to select every item, even if they are all ticked (check marks), by using your mouse to highlight all the items in the dialogue pane, and then try to convert them. 

carrie58 said:

Okay so you've got the script installed ,you have selected the item you want to convert in the scene tab and in the surface tab ,and then you click on the script to run it  ........yes? now check surface tab  does it look different ?

Different in what way?

edited May 2019

Hmmm have you ever really looked at the surface tab when you've got an IRay item selected? It's totally different from the 3DL materials  ..........

okay above is 3DL                                                                            here IRay           see the differences

Oh and even though this hair comes with 3DL material settings I just ran the script to take it from the IRay to 3DL ,you still sometimes have to poke with the settings ,like bump is usually way too strong  but still worth it

Iray3DL comparison.png
    793 x 1077 - 157K

I do, thanks ... so the answer is no ... nothing is changing after I tell the script to run ... I don't see anything happening or changing.

Hmmmm so what version of DS are you using ?and where did you put the script?

I know a lot of PAs aren't doing 3DL mats anymore, so I'm wondering if there are enough people who only buy 3DL supported content to make it worthwhile to have to learn how to do mats and settings and everything for a completely different render engine.

I'm one of those. Until I can get this script to work, I only buy items with 3DL options.

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,407
    edited May 2019

Same here. I couldn't use IRay even if I wanted too. My computer isn't designed for it.

Post edited by Tramp Graphics on
    carrie58 said:

Hmmmm so what version of DS are you using ?and where did you put the script?

It's in the daz scripts section along with my other scripts. And I FINALLY had to concede and start using DS4.10 because I wanted to use dforce. No other reason, lol. I hate anything above V4/M4 and have absolutely no interest in iray. So they hooked me with dfore, lol. And I was hoping this script would be my key to all those products I won't buy because there is no 3DL option.

<--only uses 3Delight too... Iray takes too long on my computer.... besides.. I bought a boatload of lights-n-stuff... too much money spent to just throw it all way or not use.  chaaa chiiiiiiiiiiiing!!!

edited May 2019

Willow... I hope this helps... I'm posting you screenshots of where I have the converter... I had to make a folder for the 3 items to be in first... You can put them anywhere in your Daz library... Hope it helps... Main thing is to make a folder for the 3 things to go in... (see sample)

2nd.. you know the converter is working when you highlight the item then look at the SHADER at the top of the edit page... (see sample)

Hope this all makes sense to you.  (fingers crossed)

Iray to 3Delight PLACEMENT.jpg
    1058 x 470 - 79K
    Iray to 3Delight differences.jpg
    746 x 536 - 105K
    Post edited by Llola Lane on
    carrie58 said:

I personally just named the script Irayto3Delight and then put it into the Scripts folder in My Library ,and then open DS ,go to Scripts  and right click on it scroll down on the window that pops up to "Create Custom Action" click on that . That creates a script tabthat's easy access from the viewport so you aren't having to hop back and forth ,when you need the script ,just pick the item in both the scene tab and the surface tab ,click on the script tab click on the iray-to 3Dlight script and there it goes.hope this helps

I created a custom action, which is a cool faster way to use a couple of daz's contents ... but then I moved the script into its own folder and did it again, and now I have two ... how do I remove one of them from the scripts tool tab?

edited May 2019

Had the same qustion  and got the answer too

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/282831/does-anyone-know-how-to-remove-things-from-the-scripts-tab-solved#latest

you can also organise the scripts there too

Thanks, carrie58 :)