IrayTo3Delight conversion script

Comments

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,787

Hope this all makes sense to you.  (fingers crossed)

Thanks, Llola Lane ... Although I can't get the script to do anything yet, your visuals have helped me know when I've successfully converted an iray prop to a non-iray prop manually. 

• Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,208

Hope this all makes sense to you.  (fingers crossed)

Thanks, Llola Lane ... Although I can't get the script to do anything yet, your visuals have helped me know when I've successfully converted an iray prop to a non-iray prop manually. 

My pleasure.. I will watch this thread for your success.  :)

FYI... I have an older processor so it takes a minute for the conversion to work.  I've noticed if I interupt it too fast it doesn't work... I just put my patience on and then.. waaaa... laaaaa... It works.  ;)

I have a fairly new Alienware ... so I doubt it's the computer giving me the problem, but anything is possible. Am I supposed to be able to 'see' it doing something while it's doing it? Like a pop-up window or a spinning wheel or any visual indication that it's working other than the surfaces tab changes?

edited May 2019

I have a fairly new Alienware ... so I doubt it's the computer giving me the problem, but anything is possible. Am I supposed to be able to 'see' it doing something while it's doing it? Like a pop-up window or a spinning wheel or any visual indication that it's working other than the surfaces tab changes?

I get a little hourglass for a second... but if I blink I miss it... lol ... and once it's done... I immediately 'see' something has happened... Iray characters are VERY shiny for me and once it's converted... the shine is gone... so I know it's done... But like I said.. it takes a moment...

Question.. Are you trying to convert a character or a prop?  And if it's a character.. which one... maybe I can try it too just to make sure it's not the item being converted.. although I've not had a problem of it not working.

Post edited by Llola Lane on
  • DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,656

Let me say that the devil is in the details. When you are converting a surface from Iray to 3Delight you must:

1) Go to the scene tab and select the item with the surfaces you want to convert.

2) Go to the Surfaces tab and select the surface or surfaces you want to convert.

3) Click on the script and the change should occur.

This script acts like a 3Delight shader or shader preset. As is the case with 3Delight shaders both items must be selected to tell the script what object you want to change surface textures and from that information the script can pass on the materials information to DAZ to make the changes. So LIola Lane told you how to install the script but you need to follow the above steps to use the script. Hope this clears up somethings for you.

Question.. Are you trying to convert a character or a prop?  And if it's a character.. which one... maybe I can try it too just to make sure it's not the item being converted.. although I've not had a problem of it not working.

In this circumstance, it's a prop, a freebie on SCG, which I didn't even know was set up for iray until I rendered it. https://www.sharecg.com/v/70351/related/21/DAZ-Studio/Shifting-Images-Free-Stuff-Mountain-Scene

DollyGirl said:

Let me say that the devil is in the details. When you are converting a surface from Iray to 3Delight you must:

1) Go to the scene tab and select the item with the surfaces you want to convert.

2) Go to the Surfaces tab and select the surface or surfaces you want to convert.

3) Click on the script and the change should occur.

This script acts like a 3Delight shader or shader preset. As is the case with 3Delight shaders both items must be selected to tell the script what object you want to change surface textures and from that information the script can pass on the materials information to DAZ to make the changes. So LIola Lane told you how to install the script but you need to follow the above steps to use the script. Hope this clears up somethings for you.

Yup ... did all of that (assuming it worked the same way I apply all of my daz shaders) and nothing happens.

In this circumstance, it's a prop, a freebie on SCG, which I didn't even know was set up for iray until I rendered it. https://www.sharecg.com/v/70351/related/21/DAZ-Studio/Shifting-Images-Free-Stuff-Mountain-Scene

I'm downloading it now... I'll give it a try (fingers crossed)

ok Willow... I loaded the PROPs (background... fog... hill)  into a scene and I think I know your problem... they are NOT Iray... They are OMUBERSURFACE shaders... they are already 3Delight :)  No need to convert.  :)

edited May 2019

Here's the scene rendered in 3Delight... Pretty neat set... I'm sure I'll use it myself sometime :)  Thanks for sharing the linky.

SI Mountain Scene in 3Delight.png
    512 x 512 - 372K
    Post edited by Llola Lane on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,386
    edited May 2019

I checked the surfaces and see UberSurface shader used, that would be 3DL shaders not Iray (which would have been surprising since it was released 6 years ago...)

edit: *Note to self: refresh thread before posting ;) *

Post edited by Leana on

Yeah Leana... I guess we should have asked for the product earlier... Would have saved a lot of typing back and forth ;) lol

Here's how we know Willow... I just clicked on the SL Background... and checked in the Surfaces tab

SL background screen capture.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 261K

Yeah Leana... I guess we should have asked for the product earlier... Would have saved a lot of typing back and forth ;) lol

I don't know why WillowRaven thought it's setup for Iray, though...

There's DOF on the camera I used for my test render, which gave me a weird result at first as of course I have moved the camera ;) but other than that it rendered fine in 3DL for me.

Leana said:

I don't know why WillowRaven thought it's setup for Iray, though...

There's DOF on the camera I used for my test render, which gave me a weird result at first as of course I have moved the camera ;) but other than that it rendered fine in 3DL for me.

I just did a quickie render... love the set... kinda glad Willow posted the linky... lol  Oh well.. all is well ;)

Leana said:

I checked the surfaces and see UberSurface shader used, that would be 3DL shaders not Iray (which would have been surprising since it was released 6 years ago...)

edit: *Note to self: refresh thread before posting ;) *

lol... I just happened to be at my computer and quickie typed ... lol

I thought it was iray because it rendered like a pure while blotch or silhouette. Id seen some iray items rendered in 3dl before where that happened, so wrongly assumed it must be iray. Especially since I didn't recognize a lot of things in the surfaces tab, either. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I thought it was iray because it rendered like a pure while blotch or silhouette. Id seen some iray items rendered in 3dl before where that happened, so wrongly assumed it must be iray. Especially since I didn't recognize a lot of things in the surfaces tab, either. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

It's ok... Willow... that's how we learn... You know now ;)  Most stuff I have problems with in Iray are BLACK blotches... so go figure... lol.  It's one reason I'm a 3Delight gal myself ;)  Happy Rendering!

Pure white often means it has problems loading the shader, so maybe try reinstalling DS default shaders? Clearing DS temp files might also help.

Thanks for all the help, guys. I've learned a lot I didn't know before my mistaken identity. (How to add things to the scripts tab and how to remove them, how to recognize an iray item that may not be labeled, etc.) Now I just need to test the script on a really iray item to see it in action, lol.

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,656

I am so glad that you have an answer WillowRaven and I am glad you got something worthwhile from this exchange. Hope that you get the results we all do with this script. It is a very useful tool.

DollyGirl said:

I am so glad that you have an answer WillowRaven and I am glad you got something worthwhile from this exchange. Hope that you get the results we all do with this script. It is a very useful tool.

<--what DollyGirl said ;)

• ImagoImago Posts: 5,037

Dumb question time: Where can I get the latest version of the script? blush

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975
    Imago said:

Dumb question time: Where can I get the latest version of the script? blush

On the  first page of this thread .....

• nobody1954nobody1954 Posts: 933

Sorry I'm so late to the game. Just tried the script. Fantastic! Thank you so much.

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,520
    edited June 2019

May I ask for permission to distribute a modified version of this script?

I've adapted it to provide unshaded materials instead, in order to provide an "albedo" reference image to use with denoising software (helping it differentiate between detail and noise; regrettably, Iray won't provide a good albedo canvas of its own, so I'm abusing 3DL for the purpose of rendering one - even having to render it separately, it still saves a lot of time).

There are others such a script could be quite useful to as well, so I'd like to share it for their benefit, but as I used your script as a starting point to assist my very rusty programming skills, I would only want to do that with your permission.

Post edited by Matt_Castle on
  • EsemwyEsemwy Posts: 578

I never really discussed the license with @timmons.william / @Oso3D . I’d be happy with GPL, but I’d like Will to chime in before I make a blanket statement.

I've adapted it to provide unshaded materials instead, in order to provide an "albedo" reference image to use with denoising software (helping it differentiate between detail and noise; regrettably, Iray won't provide a good albedo canvas of its own, so I'm abusing 3DL for the purpose of rendering one - even having to render it separately, it still saves a lot of time).

There are others such a script could be quite useful to as well, so I'd like to share it for their benefit, but as I used your script as a starting point to assist my very rusty programming skills, I would only want to do that with your permission.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,957

Totes fine by me! Thank you, Esemwy, but I don’t consider myself in any way ‘owning’ this. :)

I’m an idea man and some light QA. Heh.

• EsemwyEsemwy Posts: 578

Alright then GPLv3 it is. Have at it. I’d appreciate an announcement here when you’re script is done.  I’ll properly mark the file and post the license when I get home.

Oso3D said:

Totes fine by me! Thank you, Esemwy, but I don’t consider myself in any way ‘owning’ this. :)

I’m an idea man and some light QA. Heh.

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,520

GPLv3 will work just fine for me, as it also gives others the potential to improve on my imperfect experimentation - many thanks, that makes things a lot easier. I'll drop in an announcement once I've got something in suitably working shape.

As an aside and general feedback on the script, one small niggle I've noticed is that the "UV set" parameter doesn't get copied over, so the converted material defaults to the default UV layout; while most newer models/skins have become consistent enough to use the base UVs, I did have a couple of problems with things like characters where I was using Cayman Studios' cross-generation UV products or other similar tools.
    It might be worth adding that into the main script, as there were certainly a few times where I'd started rendering before I noticed the textures had slipped.