IrayTo3Delight conversion script

Comments

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,538
    Geminii23 said:

Aside from iRay taking way too long for me on my MAC, the one thing I noticed in my attempts at using iRay is that alot of things tend to have a plasticy or too shiny look.  Mabe there is a way to correct this, but I am just n

tkdrobert said:

If you want to get it to look real in IRAY, you have to change all of the surfaces and I think you have to remove the bump maps.  This is the best I've been able to do, but you can see it is very dark.

Vader vs Ahsoka by tkdrobert

I am using the Darth Vader outfit for G3M from FoRender (Wartech).  Is that the same one you are using?  I do prefer the comic book look and even the older 3Delight look of renders over photorealistic.  But the other factor for me wanting to convert iRay to 3Delight is that iRay is way too slow for me on my Mac.  So unless I can get some eGPU boxes and stick in some Nvidia cards, converting iRay stuff to 3Delight would be a better option for me.

I have also tried the Ubersurface Base script method that Bluebird showed in this video.  

But still the results are not great.  There must be some settings I am just not figuring out. 

I'm actually using the M4 version that was made for Poser, so when I bring it in, it's basically 3Delight, but I had to tweak it alot.

• I recently tried running this script on this set here, and am not sure if it ran. When I clicked on it, there was no "dialog box" or progress bar telling me it was running, so I don't know if anything happened. 

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

At the top of the surfaces pane, it says Shader: and then something related to the shader being used.  Presumably it might say something like "Shader: Iray Uber" prior to conversion.  After conversion, it should say "Shader: DAZ Studio Default".

• sriesch said:

At the top of the surfaces pane, it says Shader: and then something related to the shader being used.  Presumably it might say something like "Shader: Iray Uber" prior to conversion.  After conversion, it should say "Shader: DAZ Studio Default".

Yeah, I think it said Daz Default from the start. Either way, I don't think the script worked. I've tried to render to RIB repeatedly; even reducing my render settings as low as possible to compensate for RAM, and it won't render to RIB at all. I consistently get a render error. 

• Hi, and thank you so much.

I downloaded the script. When I clicked on it, I found it started the DS loading process... so DS opened on my screen.

Is it automatically in my copy of DS then?

If not, what must I do next... and please, instructions comprised of small steps so I can correctly follow and do this right.

Again, a big thanks.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975

Hi, and thank you so much.

I downloaded the script. When I clicked on it, I found it started the DS loading process... so DS opened on my screen.

If not, what must I do next... and please, instructions comprised of small steps so I can correctly follow and do this right.

Again, a big thanks.

I personally just named the script Irayto3Delight and then put it into the Scripts folder in My Library ,and then open DS ,go to Scripts  and right click on it scroll down on the window that pops up to "Create Custom Action" click on that . That creates a script tabthat's easy access from the viewport so you aren't having to hop back and forth ,when you need the script ,just pick the item in both the scene tab and the surface tab ,click on the script tab click on the iray-to 3Dlight script and there it goes.hope this helps

• carrie58 said:

Again, a big thanks.

I personally just named the script Irayto3Delight and then put it into the Scripts folder in My Library ,and then open DS ,go to Scripts  and right click on it scroll down on the window that pops up to "Create Custom Action" click on that . That creates a script tabthat's easy access from the viewport so you aren't having to hop back and forth ,when you need the script ,just pick the item in both the scene tab and the surface tab ,click on the script tab click on the iray-to 3Dlight script and there it goes.hope this helps

Are you saying to load it directly into DS from this link?

Because if I download it to my computer, to a file in C drive, that is fine. But when I attempt to open it from that location, simply by clicking on it, it causes DS to open on my computer.

Did you simply copy and paste into the DS scripts file?

Thanks, and sorry to be so dense...........

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,774
    carrie58 said:

Again, a big thanks.

i think i got lost on click, or maybe it was rename. or maybe tabs.

not sure. 

edited February 2018

Well I download to a folder on my desktop and then move it(cut and paste )into the Scripts folder ,no problem with questions if I wasn't clear ........just ask what's confusing you and I'll keep trying or somebody else will pop in that makes more sense ... and maybe this screen shot will help

Scripts.png
    1920 x 1080 - 499K
    Post edited by carrie58 on

i'm a bit dense, but ?I can't even find where the "scripts" folder is within my computer ... been looking for quite awhile.

edited February 2018

Where is your content?Do you use DIM or Connect to install your content?and no you aren't dense .....but you aren't looking for the scripts folder IN your computer you should be looking in your Content folder/or your My Library folder

• carrie58 said:

Again, a big thanks.

Thank you, that helps a lot.

• carrie58 said:

Well I download to a folder on my desktop and then move it(cut and paste )into the Scripts folder ,no problem with questions if I wasn't clear ........just ask what's confusing you and I'll keep trying or somebody else will pop in that makes more sense ... and maybe this screen shot will help

Thank you, Daveso... and Carrie58.

Well I did put it into scripts, copy and paste, after giving it a good name, "Irayto3Delight", and then when I went to scripts in DS nothing came up with a right click. And I mean by that no options for anything at all. and nothing like 

"Create Custom Action"  came up... I know I am not doing something right.

Oh..... and a very BIG oh..... there are twolocations for "Scripts"...... one is in DS in the Programs, and another is in C:\Users\Randy\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\Scripts

First I put the new script into DS/scripts.

Then I put the new script in C:\Users\Randy\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\Scripts

And strangely when I pasted it into each location it did not appear in either file location, and it did not appear in my newly opened DS.

Obviously, I am going wrong somewhere. 

But of course, I right now do not know what I am doing wrong.

edited February 2018

are you using Smart content? okay let's try this since a picture uses less words  ........ does this make sense?

Stilltrying.png
    1920 x 1080 - 209K
  • Usually I load from DS while I am using it.

If you follow the screen capture ,can you find the scripts folder in your DS?

• carrie58 said:

Thanks. Yes, I just did that.

The IrayTo3Delight is there. However there is an exclamanation mark in it. Nothing happens when I click on it.

And thanks again, your graphic was a great idea. 

• carrie58 said:

Thanks. Yes, I just did that.

The IrayTo3Delight is there. However there is an exclamanation mark in it. Nothing happens when I click on it.

And thanks again, your graphic was a great idea. 

And just to add... what does the exclamanation mark mean, and how can I get it to work?

edited February 2018

do you havethe item that has Iray materials on it in the scene?go to the scene tab and mouse click on it  ,also do the same in the surface tab ......then double click on the Irayto3Delight script and watch the surface tab when you do you will see the materials change .you'll have to do that to all the Iray surfaces that don't have 3delight materials   oh and the exclimationmark just means it's not linking to the png .......not a biggie

carrie58 said:

Where is your content?Do you use DIM or Connect to install your content?and no you aren't dense .....

I use DIM ... but I think i found it finally..pasted in the script, but it is not listed, so it might be pasted to the wrong folder. I have weird stuff in several directories. I've never been able to figure out what is what, or how to manually install content. It will take me a bit to figure this first step out. I've uninstalled and reinstalled DS several times, but some stuff just seems to show back up all screwy. 

i found the scripts thing in DS, but nothing is listed there ..no scripts at all, and you have 50 of them or something. 

how do I know a material is iray or not? 

• daveso said:

how do I know a material is iray or not?

In general the Iray presets will hae an MDL tag under the materials tag at top-right of the thumbnail, 3delight will have RSL. Older sets, without tags, will usually be 3delight only (or even Poser materials only).

edited February 2018
    daveso said:
    carrie58 said:

Where is your content?Do you use DIM or Connect to install your content?and no you aren't dense .....

I use DIM ... but I think i found it finally..pasted in the script, but it is not listed, so it might be pasted to the wrong folder. I have weird stuff in several directories. I've never been able to figure out what is what, or how to manually install content. It will take me a bit to figure this first step out. I've uninstalled and reinstalled DS several times, but some stuff just seems to show back up all screwy. 

i found the scripts thing in DS, but nothing is listed there ..no scripts at all, and you have 50 of them or something.

Yeah well I've got alot of freebie scripts I use (or try to) and scripts I've purchased  over the years .......Personally I think everyone should learn to manually install their stuff ,iit really helps to learn where stuff issuppose to go ,and how to find it if you need to fix something , but that's probably cause that's how I learned ...

• carrie58 said:
    daveso said:
    carrie58 said:

Yeah well I've got alot of freebie scripts I use (or try to) and scripts I've purchased  over the years .......Personally I think everyone should learn to manually install their stuff ,iit really helps to learn where stuff issuppose to go ,and how to find it if you need to fix something , but that's probably cause that's how I learned ...

When I had an early version of DS I often unzipped a file directly into the DS library, and it worked well.

Lately, when I do that it does not work.

I think I need to relearn how to do this, as I need to load a few G2 and G3 items from another store. I was spoiled by DIM and loading directly while in DS.

Carrie58, again thank you so much for your explanations through this. It has been a big help.

And sincerely, thank you everyone.

Randy

• Thank you SO MUCH!!!

• beautibellabeautibella Posts: 59
    edited February 2018

How do you download the script?

Got it thanks.

Post edited by beautibella on
  • So I just got Sophia Hair and Awkward Age for Gen 8, will this allow me to render them in 3Delight?

• JQPJQP Posts: 511

I'm guessing this isn't meant for characters? lol

I'd REALLY like to be able to provide 3Delight materials for my characters but I know nothing about 3DL. I converted my character manually, but, IMO, it looks awful. 

Iray:

3DL (manual conversion - which I think looks terrible):

So I was hoping that this script would help me. But ...I got Zombie Girl instead lol:

Is there any plans in the works for a script that would transfer Iray characters to 3Delight compatible? :) That would be awesome! 

There are a few creators who release their characters as Iray, but include a script to convert to 3Delight. The idea is usually that you load all the options you want as Iray, and when you're done, you run the script.

These scripts usually work well with Iray-only character materials, in my experience. The more of them you have, the more tools you have in your kit for converting Iray to 3DL.

P.S. regarding "resist," you got this idea from a deplorable; probably best not to use it. :)

edited March 2018
    God the forum code sucks (edit: I mean rrrreaaaaalllly suuuuuuuuuuuckkkkks). Just buy VBulletin, Daz. This script didn't work for me. DSA is 1.74kb; did I download the wrong thing? Here's the log:
    2018-03-08 23:24:32.734 Loading script: E:/DAZ Studio/Content/Scripts/Convert Iray to 3Delight/IrayTo3Delight.dsa 2018-03-08 23:24:32.736 WARNING: Script Error: Line 1 2018-03-08 23:24:32.736 WARNING: SyntaxError: Parse error 2018-03-08 23:24:32.737 WARNING: Stack Trace: ()@E:/DAZ Studio/Content/Scripts/Convert Iray to 3Delight/IrayTo3Delight.dsa:1 2018-03-08 23:24:32.741 Error in script execution: E:/DAZ Studio/Content/Scripts/Convert Iray to 3Delight/IrayTo3Delight.dsa
    Post edited by JQP on
    edited March 2018

It's really quite fascinating, how bad the Daz forum code is. Post a reply in the field at the bottom of any page in the thread in any other forum, and I'm automatically taken to the last page and shown my new post, at the end. But not in the Daz code, nossir; it looks like the comment went at the end of the page I was on when I made the post. Is it actually where it appears to be? Probably not. It's probably at the end of the thread, where it's supposed to be, and showing me some illusion. That's the Daz forum code for ya! And you thought it was just the "code" tags that don't work, and the hinky login code, and...

Edit: yep, it worked okay. Forum code just made it look like it was on page 3...

CTRL-C and CTRL-V don't even work reliably...

Post edited by JQP on