IrayTo3Delight conversion script

Comments

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,591

Will be difficult to convert a PBR skin with a proper albedo map to the DAZ default shader for 3DL (diffuse map). That being said, you may want to have a chat with @wowie:

https://direct.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1236146/#Comment_1236146

- Greg

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,303
    edited December 2017

Will be difficult to convert a PBR skin with a proper albedo map to the DAZ default shader for 3DL (diffuse map). That being said, you may want to have a chat with @wowie:

https://direct.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1236146/#Comment_1236146

- Greg

Thank you, Greg! :D 

I feel bad that I don't have 3DL support for my characters - as I know that some people use that only. It seems like it's going to be a HUGE undertaking though to learn how to make mats and settings for an entire different render engine. I'm curious as to if it would be worth it, if sales would be affected much at all by not having 3DL materials. Do you know if there are some stats somewhere (or maybe even just a fairly recent survey) that gives an idea of how many people use 3DL only vs how many use either Iray only or sometimes Iray and sometimes 3DL?

I know a lot of PAs aren't doing 3DL mats anymore, so I'm wondering if there are enough people who only buy 3DL supported content to make it worthwhile to have to learn how to do mats and settings and everything for a completely different render engine.

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,930

...still sounds like quite the chore especially to get the SSS looking correct.

• Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,208
    edited December 2017

<--FYI... I don't buy Iray only characters.  I don't have Nvidia graphics card, NOT gonna buy one just for Daz, and it takes waaaaaaaaaay too long for my computer to render Iray.  My art is not worth the time it takes to wait.  I like results fast... Look at my gallery.  I have wonderful renders with 3Delight... plus.. I've spent hundreds of dollars on lighting... That makes a huge difference... Don't forget to turn on shadows DivaMakeUp... your 3Delight render above doesn't look like it has any.  Before you give up on 3Delight... check a few lighting packages.. I'm sure some PAs have lighting to share.

Oh.. and don't forget.. you are missing out on Poser sales too by having Iray only.

Post edited by Llola Lane on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

Try setting up the skin in a simple way (just diffuse map, normal or bump map etc) and use Tofusan's SSS freebie: http://www.sharecg.com/v/76970/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/Subsurface-Skin-Shader

Kerya said:

Try setting up the skin in a simple way (just diffuse map, normal or bump map etc) and use Tofusan's SSS freebie: http://www.sharecg.com/v/76970/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/Subsurface-Skin-Shader

Thanks for that link Kerya... I'm gonna give it a try too :)

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,303
    Kerya said:

Thank you for the link! :) I'll try it!

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,957

My approach to skins is find an existing skin with pretty similar complexion and just copy over maps.

For specular maps you may need to take a roughness map, invert, and then darken it to taste.

• Thank you just tested this and it works well.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 2017

Does anybody have Elaborate Metals Iray Shaders ( https://www.daz3d.com/elaborate-metals-iray-shaders ), and if so, are you able to get any useful one-shot conversion of the circled materials from the 3rd promo pic? (even if it looks like a completely different material with different colors/properties, just keeping those patterns)?

screenshot, promo.png
    1008 x 1007 - 2M
    Post edited by sriesch on
    sriesch said:

Does anybody have Elaborate Metals Iray Shaders ( https://www.daz3d.com/elaborate-metals-iray-shaders ), and if so, are you able to get any useful one-shot conversion of the circled materials from the 3rd promo pic? (even if it looks like a completely different material with different colors/properties, just keeping those patterns)?

They are pretty patterns.. but I don't use Iray... sorry I can't help ya... good luck!

• EsemwyEsemwy Posts: 578
    sriesch said:

If they’re produced with image maps, your chances ar reasonably good. If they’re procedural, you’re out of luck. 

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

I have had some luck with the following approach for figures that have Iray-only textures:

1. Apply the Iray shaders to the figure.

2. Select the skin surfaces in the Surfaces tab.

3. Find one of the DAZ characters for the generation I'm working with that has a 3Delight texture option. (some non-DAZ characters have them, too)

4. Apply the 3Delight texture above while holding down ctrl and choosing "ignore".

The eyes always seem to be problematic, and the best solution I have found for them is simply apply the 3Delight eye textures (including maps) from one of the characters that has them, then swapping out all the maps for the ones desired.

The skin can sometimes come out a little dark , depending on the "donor" figure used, and I have found that this is often related to a low diffuse strength setting, which can be cranked up a bit. The specularity sometimes needs adjusting as well.

Once you get things more-or-less where you want them, save a preset, of course.

I'm not certain why the manual approach did not work for you, but it may have been the base 3Delight texture you used to begin with. (that is assuming that you applied all the desired characters maps to replace those from a donor texture that used 3Delight shaders)

A one-click solution would be nice, but the closest that I have come to that is a utility that came with the FWSA Angel character for G3F that is applied to the Iray surfaces to convert to 3Delight. Some tweaking is usually required in this case as well, however.

Here are, in order, an Iray render of Mousso's Kallisto character for G3F using the provided Iray materials and shaders (no 3Delight option offered); a render in #Delight using the same character and texture maps, converted using the four steps as above, with the "donor" being V7; a render again in 3Delight, but this time with the Kallisto textures converted using the FWSA Angel character's converter; and finally, a last 3Delight render with textures for 3Delight from the Cailin character applied to the Kallisto character, then the Kallisto texture maps plugged in manually (ugh!). In all the cases with 3Delight, varying degrees of tweaking of the surface settings, particularly for the eyes, was required to achieve some reasonable result. The amount and type of tweaking will vary greatly depending upon the original Iray materials.

If you really wanted to spend a whole lot of time on them, you may be able to achieve better results, but I have come to believe that part of the problem lies in the texture maps, particularly the diffuse maps, rather than solely with shaders and material settings. The Iray maps tend to come out dark in 3Delight, often with a distinctly reddish hue. Whether this is best corrected within the surface tab in DAZ Studio, or by modifying the texture maps themselves in an image editor is a toss-up. I think algovician may be right.

G3FKallistoIray.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 221K
    G3FKallistoV73DL.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 190K
    G3FKallistoAngel3DL.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 192K
    G3FKallistoCailin3DL.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 190K
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,957

One thing you could try is giving the diffuse color a slight green color; this should offset the red, though it will darken everything. At that point you can consider increasing specular.

Also note that a lot of 3dl skins have diffuse strength at 80% or lower; if you don’t do so the skin will be overwhelmed with the diffuse color.

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,538
    edited January 2018

I finally got around to downloading and testing this.  I was able to create a scene using TerraDome 3, texture the A and B zones with an IRAY Toon Shader, and then convert those textures to 3Delight.  I was pleased with the results.

Post edited by tkdrobert on
    tkdrobert said:

I finally got around to downloading and testing this.  I was able to create a scene using TerraDome 3, texture the A and B zones with an IRAY Toon Shader, and then convert those textures to 3Delight.  I was pleased with the results.

I would love to see a sample tkdrobert :)  pleeeeeease (bats her baby bluez)

tkdrobert said:

OK standby.  I'll have to hide the stuff I'm still working on.

tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:

OK standby.  I'll have to hide the stuff I'm still working on.

<--yay... waits patiently.... no rush :)

Ok here is a quick test.  I'm sure I could do more with more time....  The sky was added in.

Test land by tkdrobert

tkdrobert said:

Ok here is a quick test.  I'm sure I could do more with more time....  The sky was added in.

oo that is different than what I had pictured in my mind.. i'm so glad you shared... THANK YOU... it's wonderful!

tkdrobert said:

oo that is different than what I had pictured in my mind.. i'm so glad you shared... THANK YOU... it's wonderful!

I'm glad you like it.  I'm going to get a lot more use out of these IRAY toon shaders now.

tkdrobert said:
    tkdrobert said:

I'm glad you like it.  I'm going to get a lot more use out of these IRAY toon shaders now

awesome.. can't wait to see what else you come up with :)  thanks for sharing.

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327

I can't seem to get this script to do anything.  I double click the icon and nothing happens.  What am I doing wrong?

Geminii23 said:

I can't seem to get this script to do anything.  I double click the icon and nothing happens.  What am I doing wrong?

Do you have the surface highlighted in the Surface tab?

Yes, I tried selecting the specific items on the Surfaces tab.  I do see that some parameters changed.  But I guess I don't know what to tweak to get this looking right.  So, here are some tests.  All done with  3 light preset.  First is iRay render, then 3Delight render without the script applied, then applied the script and rendered in 3Delight. 

Darth Test iRay.jpg
    2160 x 1728 - 2M
    Darth Test 3Delight Basic.jpg
    2160 x 1728 - 1M
    Darth Test 3Delight Script Applied.jpg
    2160 x 1728 - 1M
    edited January 2018

Play around with the lighting mode, the gloss, and the reflective settings.  What kind of look are you going for?  Comic book style or realistic?

edited January 2018

The iRay is definitely more photorealistic, which I am not always a fan of.  But in this test, I was hoping just to be able to get the render to be closer to the iRay with 3Delight.  For instance, the mask is just all black.  I tried changing the lighting mode to glossy plastic, bumped up Reflection and Glossiness to 100%.  No change at all.

Post edited by Geminii23 on
    Geminii23 said:

The iRay is definitely more photorealistic, which I am not always a fan of.  But in this test, I was hoping just to be able to get the render to be closer to the iRay with 3Delight.  For instance, the mask is just all black.  I tried changing the lighting mode to glossy plastic, bumped up Reflection and Glossiness to 100%.  No change at all.

The model I have has so many parts for the helmet,  Do you have a reflective map for the top part?  I had mine set for 100% glossiness and 15.5 relflection strength, but I was going for a comic look.

Doctor Aphra (Updated)

edited January 2018

If you want to get it to look real in IRAY, you have to change all of the surfaces and I think you have to remove the bump maps.  This is the best I've been able to do, but you can see it is very dark.

Vader vs Ahsoka by tkdrobert

Aside from iRay taking way too long for me on my MAC, the one thing I noticed in my attempts at using iRay is that alot of things tend to have a plasticy or too shiny look.  Mabe there is a way to correct this, but I am just n

tkdrobert said:

If you want to get it to look real in IRAY, you have to change all of the surfaces and I think you have to remove the bump maps.  This is the best I've been able to do, but you can see it is very dark.

Vader vs Ahsoka by tkdrobert

I am using the Darth Vader outfit for G3M from FoRender (Wartech).  Is that the same one you are using?  I do prefer the comic book look and even the older 3Delight look of renders over photorealistic.  But the other factor for me wanting to convert iRay to 3Delight is that iRay is way too slow for me on my Mac.  So unless I can get some eGPU boxes and stick in some Nvidia cards, converting iRay stuff to 3Delight would be a better option for me.

I have also tried the Ubersurface Base script method that Bluebird showed in this video.  

But still the results are not great.  There must be some settings I am just not figuring out.