UltraScenery - new(er) territory [Commercial]

Comments

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 755

Artini said:

I have only tried resolution of 128 with US2 and it works great on Daz Studio Beta 4.22.1.136

No problems so far.

I just tried 128 and it still crashes. Thanks for the help, anyway. 

Totte said:

AnEye4Art said:

So, I've documented my steps 1-4 that leads up to Daz constantly crashing. And it happens everytime I try to apply a terrain preset.

Sounds like a "running out of memory" issue to me 

I have an amd threadripper pro with 256 GB Ram, 2tb nvme drive and a Titan rtx with 24GB. I usually run full scenes in Iray mode with no problem.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,841

AnEye4Art said:

Totte said:

AnEye4Art said:

So, I've documented my steps 1-4 that leads up to Daz constantly crashing. And it happens everytime I try to apply a terrain preset.

I have an amd threadripper pro with 256 GB Ram, 2tb nvme drive and a Titan rtx with 24GB. I usually run full scenes in Iray mode with no problem.

Can you post the stacktrace here so it's easier to see why and where it crashes? 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,843
    AnEye4Art said:

Is TESTER, the location for your generated image maps, a valid folder path on your computer?
  • HowieFarkesHowieFarkes Posts: 606

AnEye4Art said:

I can't tell from your screen shots but is the UltraScenery2 content installed? The plug-in seems to to be missing some stuff which is why I imagine you are just getting at flat terrain.
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,305

Anybody knows about how to check what size is generated US2 terrain?

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,377

Artini said:

Anybody knows about how to check what size is generated US2 terrain?

There's a width parameter on the Terrain panel.

Cheers,

Alex. 

• drucdruc Posts: 399
    Just a question on scale. I am trying a render, using Classic content Island 3, I changed the size of the usc2 from 64 (default when loading classic terrain) to 256. I am trying to get a render to indicate if the ecology is rescaled X 4 in each direction. It doesn't seem to be, but I'll need to render with the same terrain and ecology at 64 to be sure. I know it scales the terrain, for example rivers, roads etc. I just want larger islands.
    This is a cut very short render using a small, 2 or 3 person sale boat.
    000 island.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 6M

I think this is the answer, ecology doesn't seem to scale. Here a 64 wide version, only change is moving the boat and camera. And I LIKE this. Render also cut very short.

000a island.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 839K
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334
    edited May 30

Test render

UltraScenery 2 Test USC Australia 01_out 200.png
    1300 x 1000 - 3M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • ElorElor Posts: 1,095

Totte said:

Would the plugin works with 32 GB of RAM (I can not add more) ?

Thank you Howie Farkes. Money well spent and I am very happy you have some of mine. I have never regretted buying your products.

Elor said:

Totte said:

Yes!

The main issue is of you make a huge area and then turn preview instances for example, it can get a bit slow. I've been run it on a 32GB machine for Alienator pro II and Mask Builder II development with nom problems.

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,334

Elor said:

Totte said:

Is working on my rig - i7-6700K, 32GB RAM, GEFORCE GTX 1060 6GB

Hey Totte, I am sort of hanging for your add ons for USC2, but I don't mind if they are a little while off so I can budget. smiley

druc said:

Hey Totte, I am sort of hanging for your add ons for USC2, but I don't mind if they are a little while off so I can budget. smiley

hehe, yes, one is coming "soon",. the other a little later... 

Totte said:

druc said:

hehe, yes, one is coming "soon",. the other a little later... 

Two weeks soon is fine, I get paid again yes  laugh

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,615

Totte said:

Elor said:

Totte said:

Yes!

The main issue is of you make a huge area and then turn preview instances for example, it can get a bit slow. I've been run it on a 32GB machine for Alienator pro II and Mask Builder II development with nom problems.

How about 12GB? I've got an old dektop PC and the motherboard can't take any more RAM. 

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,774
    edited May 30

druc said:

I think this is the answer, ecology doesn't seem to scale. Here a 64 wide version, only change is moving the boat and camera. And I LIKE this. Render also cut very short.

there is a statement in the description where it says the old stuff works in 64x64. I asked about that quite a few posts ago but the question was ignored. Now everyone finding out by it not working right. 

Post edited by daveso on
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,774
    edited May 30

i rendered 5 scees in a row, all took less than 5 minutes. Tried to render another and it sat there for over 45 minutes and the render bar never even appeared. I think its the DAZ Studio lack of memory clearing biting in the butt again. It might be that we need to shut down DS after every scene to make sure the memory is cleared for success. Why is that something that isn;t fixed. Its been going on forever. 

Post edited by daveso on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,293

daveso said:

druc said:

there is a statement in the description where it says the old stuff works in 64x64. I asked about that quite a few posts ago but the question was ignored. Now everyone finding out by it not working right. 

Itb also says that they may not work correctly on the larger sizes as they were made for the US Classic scene size, but they should work if you use them on the base UC Classic-sized landscape.

• MartialMartial Posts: 412

After 6 tests with Ultrascenery 2 , DAZStudio  4.22.0.16 crash many times and i have success just one time to  render and save my picture rendered

I will continue to using the plugin hoping finding what is wrong for crashing like that

I'm at work and will post some more when I get home.
  • jjoynerjjoyner Posts: 595

Peter Wade said:

Totte said:

Elor said:

Totte said:

Yes!

How about 12GB? I've got an old dektop PC and the motherboard can't take any more RAM. 

@Howie Farkes, @Totte,

Yesterday, Peter Wade also posted the following which was not directly addressed in anyone’s posts

Peter Wade said:

• Are there any guidelines on how much computer power you need for UltraScenery 2? I've got a fairly old computer, 6 core i7 with 12GB and a GTX 1050 Ti with 4GB Vram. It does Iray as long as I don't try anything too complex and it runs UtraScenery and UltraScenery XT but this version sounds like it might need a lot more computer power. Is anyone running UltraScenery 2 on a system anything like mine?

I realize that every computer setup is unique due to its components, but could you briefly provide a set of minimum/suggested/recommended specs for playing happily with USC2.  Also, any best practices would be helpful as well.  Thanks.

• mcorrmcorr Posts: 1,084

scorpio said:

Martinjfrost said:

scorpio said:

Totte said:

scorpio said:

tsroemi said:

mcorr said:

BTW...instead of comparing US2 to Bryce (huh?), the advert should have compared it to US1. That would hgave made sense and been useful. Given the promo, it is hard to see the exact benefits to buying US2, except for the additional area it creates landscapes on. What about rendering speed comparisons? What about other features and some promo picts of what it does. The comparison to Bryce is, well .... lame.

I agree, have posted in the store thread about the missing product details. We'll see what comes of it. 

Yea makes me wonder if there are any real improvements to US2, if you are comparing a new 'system' to something that hasn't even been updated to 64 bit I can't see that there's much need to spend all that money. 

I also can't seem to find any threads or info on what the improvements and advantages to US2 are. 

The improvements are huge, it's really really nice to work with.

But what are they - all I see is a comparison with an ancient product that has not been updated in years. The only advantage I can see is larger terrains, is that worth $40 I have to ask.

Silly if it is so good not to advertise the improvements. 

These are the things that i can rememebr off the top of my head ( the list is much, much longer this is a very differnt and much easier to work with beast):

Usc 2 is a plugin for daz studio rather than a script (SSC1 ) which means it now works in a pane and you can make alterations to your landscape/eco/biom/features in real time, you dont have to re open it and re run it.

You can now turn on and off the visualiation of plants and objects in layers and eco systems ( for both the new biome system and for the classic content too ) so you can see where plants are placed.

Instance culling around the camera

Biomes are rather like photoshop layers and you can now adjust the density, scale and many other propertys associated with the plants and features that the biom subject interacts with ( attract/ repel etc)

You have the option to back face cull items such as grass and pebbles making sure that stuff hiddedn behind a hill and not in view of the camera will not be considered in the render - not reccomended for trees as they tend to poke above the landscape

Some biom plants and obhects (small things like grass and pebbles though this lisdt will expand with time) now work on LOD which means that the high poly models are only placed near the camera and lower poly models are away from the camera

You can turn on and off sets of plants and objects in the render

Landscape size can be very considerably increased - usc1 was 64x64 meters, USC 2 goes up to the 200 odd meters square which is pretty vast.

in a nutshell you now have a pro active interface with a huge number of improvements to both the physical landscape propertys, how instances are used on it, and the efficency of it. As Totte said, its great fun to use, and much easier in your workflow as you dont have to keep re running a script as in the origional version, all of your old ecos and features will work, add ons for USC1 by Totte and Myself will not ( though i might update some of mine in the future). But all of your old content such as the Desert, Tropical and Britain botanica bundles along with all of the other ecosystem sets will work. 

I cover a lot of this in more detail and much more in the https://www.daz3d.com/ultrascenery-2--a-comprehensive-guide tutorial released today. Its intended as a jumping board based on my experiances using Ultrascenery 2 with some of my own work flow tips and tricks thrown in. 

Can't help but wonder- is the lack of info a sales tactic to get us to buy your guide? 

lol

Totte said:

mcorr said:

Totte said:

And F.Y.I, Alienator Pro II is on it's way soon (as shown in the video by Martin Frost that was released today), and Mask Builder II is almost done too, as I know these two tools are essential to a lot of the work that manu of you do with UltraScenery. 

sounds like bad timing of these releases .... should have been offered simulanteously with US2.

It's been over two months of hard development to get them done, and I could not start until USC2 was in a stable state, been working close with Howie on those. 
    USC2 is a completely new beast so those two had to be rewritten from scratch, and a lot of new things had to be taken care of, wasn't an easy task.

makes sense ...oh well just gotta wait, I guess

Ghosty12 said:

So my first attempt with USC2 and it is awesome, I did find that some of the classic content in this case the stone bridges caused Studio to crash. Still working out how to get some of the classic biomes to show up properly as tried using one of the Australian presets and nothing happened. Also found will want to be careful how big of a scene you go, as even with my R9 7900X3D, 64GB ram and RTX 4070Ti Super, moving around a large scene got a bit laggy.

that's one of the things I was worried about .... thanks for posting

druc said:

There has been mention of Toolbox 1 and 2 for UltraScenery not being required (also don't work in US2) because "most" of the functions are incorporated into USC2. I found it very useful in UltraScenery to be able to isolate an offending plant that was blocking the camera view. Move or delete option. Is this option available in USC2?

that's also helpful to know ....

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited May 30

I've spent today playing with USC2 and very pleased with how it works, much more interactive, quicker to build scenes, you can mix and match Gen 1 and Gen 2 terrains and ecosystems (I have a lot of Gen 1 content!). Not done anything too out there yet but it is a much improved user experience compared to Gen 1. Well done Howie, yet another triumph!

USC2 British Track.png
    1920 x 1080 - 5M
    Post edited by PhilW on