UltraScenery - new(er) territory [Commercial]

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,843

Artini said:

And the closeup of the previous scene - try to locate where it was done.

Very nice. 

Screenshot 2024-05-31 215750.jpg
    1574 x 966 - 564K
  • HighlandHighland Posts: 161

Better, less crashes. The rock texture on the cliff was too warm and repetitive so I ended up dropping in a small cutout of the Grand Teton image used as the background plane. I should make that water more "mountain stream" like.

s-mod-tetons 17.png
    1028 x 822 - 2M
  • paulawp (marahzen)paulawp (marahzen) Posts: 1,313
    edited June 1

And of course, the obligatory one with the horse...

This one is using one of the classic Desert ecologies (Desert1) on a 256 cube with 512 resolution. It's just based on a height map pulled from a mountain near here.

KingOfTheDesert.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 1M
    Post edited by paulawp (marahzen) on
    edited June 1

Pretty much the opposite as the previous one - this one is based on one of the USC2 Oaks ecologies.

VillageSunrise.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 1012K
    Post edited by paulawp (marahzen) on
  • Martinjfrost said:

scorpio said:

Martinjfrost said:

scorpio said:

Totte said:

scorpio said:

tsroemi said:

mcorr said:

BTW...instead of comparing US2 to Bryce (huh?), the advert should have compared it to US1. That would hgave made sense and been useful. Given the promo, it is hard to see the exact benefits to buying US2, except for the additional area it creates landscapes on. What about rendering speed comparisons? What about other features and some promo picts of what it does. The comparison to Bryce is, well .... lame.

I agree, have posted in the store thread about the missing product details. We'll see what comes of it. 

Yea makes me wonder if there are any real improvements to US2, if you are comparing a new 'system' to something that hasn't even been updated to 64 bit I can't see that there's much need to spend all that money. 

I also can't seem to find any threads or info on what the improvements and advantages to US2 are. 

The improvements are huge, it's really really nice to work with.

But what are they - all I see is a comparison with an ancient product that has not been updated in years. The only advantage I can see is larger terrains, is that worth $40 I have to ask.

Silly if it is so good not to advertise the improvements. 

These are the things that i can rememebr off the top of my head ( the list is much, much longer this is a very differnt and much easier to work with beast):

Usc 2 is a plugin for daz studio rather than a script (SSC1 ) which means it now works in a pane and you can make alterations to your landscape/eco/biom/features in real time, you dont have to re open it and re run it.

You can now turn on and off the visualiation of plants and objects in layers and eco systems ( for both the new biome system and for the classic content too ) so you can see where plants are placed.

Instance culling around the camera

Biomes are rather like photoshop layers and you can now adjust the density, scale and many other propertys associated with the plants and features that the biom subject interacts with ( attract/ repel etc)

You have the option to back face cull items such as grass and pebbles making sure that stuff hiddedn behind a hill and not in view of the camera will not be considered in the render - not reccomended for trees as they tend to poke above the landscape

Some biom plants and obhects (small things like grass and pebbles though this lisdt will expand with time) now work on LOD which means that the high poly models are only placed near the camera and lower poly models are away from the camera

You can turn on and off sets of plants and objects in the render

Landscape size can be very considerably increased - usc1 was 64x64 meters, USC 2 goes up to the 200 odd meters square which is pretty vast.

in a nutshell you now have a pro active interface with a huge number of improvements to both the physical landscape propertys, how instances are used on it, and the efficency of it. As Totte said, its great fun to use, and much easier in your workflow as you dont have to keep re running a script as in the origional version, all of your old ecos and features will work, add ons for USC1 by Totte and Myself will not ( though i might update some of mine in the future). But all of your old content such as the Desert, Tropical and Britain botanica bundles along with all of the other ecosystem sets will work. 

I cover a lot of this in more detail and much more in the https://www.daz3d.com/ultrascenery-2--a-comprehensive-guide tutorial released today. Its intended as a jumping board based on my experiances using Ultrascenery 2 with some of my own work flow tips and tricks thrown in. 

Can't help but wonder- is the lack of info a sales tactic to get us to buy your guide? 

Not as far as Im aware. tho as conspircy theorys go thats an excellent one ;-)....... also USC 2 comes with full documentation which goes through everything you need to know.  

This is what I was going to ask, the primary differences between USC1 and USC2.  Perhaps a comparison grid could be added to the item page? 

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 755
    edited June 1

I installed US2 on another computer and I can see more installed features to pick from but the crashes still happen. On the other computer, I can get further in creating a terrain with all the fixings in US2 but a crash will happen when applying a feature. This time, it was the layers. I applied leaves, then pebbles fine, but when I move the pebbles up the layer is when a crash occured. So I am having crashes on two different computers with different hardware.

Post edited by AnEye4Art on
  • RandomRandom Posts: 201
    edited June 1

I've been looking and looking and no doubt missed it. What version of Studio do you need for US2? I'm running 4.21, Windows 11 64bit, and US2 won't fully install. The 1.3mb part just hangs. Asks for permission and I say o.k., but no luck. Using the DIM.

Post edited by Random on
  • DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 8,307

Random said:

I've been looking and looking and no doubt missed it. What version of Studio do you need for US2? I'm running 4.21, Windows 11 64bit, and US2 won't fully install. The 1.3mb part just hangs. Asks for permission and I say o.k., but no luck. Using the DIM.

What permission?

When Windows asks if "whatever" can change "something"

At any rate, i restarted my computer and the US2 install went through so all good.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,305

Elor said:

Nice picture, but I might say I hope you're not contemplating a career as a "Where's Waldo" artist laugh (except if Waldo's the name of the second tree in the first row next to the patch of grass located 10 meter south of the [...] blush).

And thanks to the people who answered my questions in the previous pages smiley

Thanks for the comments and the suggestion for a carrer wink

barbult said:

Artini said:

And the closeup of the previous scene - try to locate where it was done.

Very nice. 

Thank you for the comments, @Barbult

UltraScenery 2 brings so much fun and enjoyment to my life.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,498
    edited June 1

Slowly investigating it's capabilities:

The tree & grass preview selection feature is very useful.

Regards,

Richard

USC2 01 R01.png
    1920 x 1080 - 5M
    Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • MartialMartial Posts: 412

I think i know why Ultrascenery2 csash for me ..It is about Save location for generated maps at the beginning of the plugin menu .If i  leave the menu m on '' none'' ,no problem i can continue and sometime i can saved the render but most of time it crash there when i want to save at the beginning of the rendering; If i choose to '' Browse '' for save location for generated maps ,DAZStudio always crash immediatly

If someone can suggest a solution i will apprecate

Thanks

edited June 1

UltraScenery 2 works nicely with Ultra Scatter Pro.

Below is a render of the scene with 37 instances of the mechs.

Mech01.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by Artini on
  • WebsoulWebsoul Posts: 221

Is it possible to set the repulsion of trees and other things on a prop?
    It would be great if we can lay down a plane and have the ecology repulsed from that.

edited June 1

Custom heightmap and Mr Boobles.

BobbleUS2.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 793K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • ZiconZicon Posts: 263

I'm having so much fun with US2.

A path following a stream through a green landscape.

Being able to customise each layer is just amazing, and the camera culling feels like magic.

A path through gently rolling grasslands with scattered aspens. A rainbow goes across the sky.

• HowieFarkesHowieFarkes Posts: 606

Martial said:

I think i know why Ultrascenery2 csash for me ..It is about Save location for generated maps at the beginning of the plugin menu .If i  leave the menu m on '' none'' ,no problem i can continue and sometime i can saved the render but most of time it crash there when i want to save at the beginning of the rendering; If i choose to '' Browse '' for save location for generated maps ,DAZStudio always crash immediatly

Thanks

Definitely looking into why that might be crashing Studio. In the mean time you could try creating a new UltraScenery and then immediately browsing to a folder for the generated maps (if that works) then pressing the "Save as Default" button. That way UltraScenery2 will not ask again for that folder to be chosen - it will automatically use that folder every time.
    edited June 2

HowieFarkes said:

Martial said:

Thanks

Definitely looking into why that might be crashing Studio. In the mean time you could try creating a new UltraScenery and then immediately browsing to a folder for the generated maps (if that works) then pressing the "Save as Default" button. That way UltraScenery2 will not ask again for that folder to be chosen - it will automatically use that folder every time.

Any solution for my issue? 

I ran across a weird problem that I'm tossing out there in case it's relevant for anyone else. Maybe it will offer a clue about some quirky behaviors and problems.

As noted, I'm having to switch from release 4.22.0.16 to beta 4.22.1.x in order to render pretty much anything with Ultrascenery (original or USC 2). I have no idea how long it will take to render a typical, moderately complex USC/USC2 scene in my 4.22.0.16 instance, because i've never let it run longer than 45 minutes (and it only has a few % done by then). This problem apparently has been going on since I upgraded from 4.21 a few weeks ago and is not unique to USC2. I could create stuff in beta, but not having my shortcuts and other conveniences is a nuisance, so I've been creating in one and rendering in the other.

I had a few crashes in recent days when testing USC2 that at the time didn't seem predictably reproducible but now I think know how: it appears that if I save a file containing a USC2 object in 4.22.1.x, I can't open it in 4.22.0.16. It instantly crashes Daz as soon as I try. If I open the file in 4.22.1.x, delete the USC2 object and resave it, then I can open it in 4.22.0.16.

• GoggerGogger Posts: 2,370
    edited June 2

I am having a blast with UltraScenery v2!  When I was in college (AGES ago!) I had a 17' Red AlaskaPack canoe that I had many adventures in. This image is in memory of those times.

This is the raw render from US2 with no edits. (I was experimenting with culling near the camera and got a bare beach - NOT an unpleasant result, but still...)

This image is the same scene but using PhotoShop's Generative Fill to sort out that beach and some of the background trees. 

014a_UltraScenery_v2_First_Render_DS.jpg
    3440 x 1440 - 1M
    FS_The_Red_Canoe_3DAI_Erik_Pedersen.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 471K
    Post edited by Gogger on
  • HowieFarkesHowieFarkes Posts: 606

AnEye4Art said:

HowieFarkes said:

Martial said:

Thanks

The best I can tell is that "something" is deselecting the terrain during the "load preset" process and some of the UltraScenery code doesn't like this and is crashing Studio. I have an idea that _might_ treat the symptoms enough that things will still work but do not solve the underlying issue. Will need to wait until the next build/update is available. My best guess is that UltraScenery is having an adverse reaction to another plug-in you have installed but that is extremely hard to confirm.
    edited June 2

I tried Ultra Scatter Pro with a US2 scene and got a mess. How do you specify the ground of the US2 landscape to scatter onto?

Post edited by Random on
    edited June 2

Martial said:

IThanks

I have tried it but it don't work Thank anyway

(Edited by mod to pull the post out of the quote)

Post edited by frank0314 on
    edited June 2

HowieFarkes said:

AnEye4Art said:

HowieFarkes said:

Martial said:

Thanks

The best I can tell is that "something" is deselecting the terrain during the "load preset" process and some of the UltraScenery code doesn't like this and is crashing Studio. I have an idea that _might_ treat the symptoms enough that things will still work but do not solve the underlying issue. Will need to wait until the next build/update is available. My best guess is that UltraScenery is having an adverse reaction to another plug-in you have installed but that is extremely hard to confirm.

Thanks I weill wait for an update

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 8,307

Martial said:

HowieFarkes said:

AnEye4Art said:

HowieFarkes said:

Martial said:

Thanks

Thanks I weill wait for an update

If you want to eliminate a possible 3rd party plugin

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/plugins/plugins_load_config/start

Random said:

I tried Ultra Scatter Pro with a US2 scene and got a mess. How do you specify the ground of the US2 landscape to scatter onto?

Dare I say it?  I get laughed at around here. smiley

Dforcing planes. I haven't done that with USC2 yet, but it's a tactic I've used in both USC1 and USXT for various purposes.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,305
    edited June 2

Random said:

I scattered the yellow irises in this one by taking the river heightmap for USC2 and drawing a black band down the middle of the river so they would mostly land near the banks. I didn't get it quite how I wanted but it was just a test for the moment.

USC2-River03-Oaks05.jpg
    1024 x 576 - 535K
    Post edited by MelanieL on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,305
    edited June 2

Last night was my first chance to try out USC2 and the experience is mostly positive. The picture above uses USC2 Feature River03 and Ecosystem Oaks05. The culling and the viewport preview are great for getting close to what I wanted.

Next up I used a USC "1"  Feature (the OxBow lake from olne of the original add-on sets) but  a USC2 Ecosystem Oaks05 again. Tweaked the max height of the terrain also.

Finally (for now) I'm posting my very first attempt from earlier yesterday, using a USC2 River Feature tweaked for height and I suspect Oaks05 again (I forgot to take note before I closed the scene)

USC2-OxBow-Oaks05.jpg
    1024 x 576 - 616K
    USC2-Ducks.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 551K
    Post edited by MelanieL on
    edited June 2
    @HowieFarkes: thank you for your reply. Much respect to you, Sir. You said: "something" is deselecting the terrain during the "load preset" process". I can for sure confirm that the terrain is deselected everytime and I have to reselect it. I will be patient for a fix, no rush on my part. This is not a fault of your software.