UltraScenery - new(er) territory [Commercial]

Comments

• HighlandHighland Posts: 161

Thanks for the heads up Barb!

Howie: no crashes yet since updating!

• paulawp (marahzen)paulawp (marahzen) Posts: 1,313

It appears that 2.0.1.2 fixes that weird instant crash I ran across when opening files in 4.22.0.x that had been saved in 4.22.1.x. Testing more.

• DreamWeeverDreamWeever Posts: 175

I got the update today and had a proper play. 

This is done using the US1 content in US2, I think it was crossing 1 and Britain 3 from memory, I also made the terrain 128m rather than letting it resize down to 64m and was very happy with how it looked so added a couple of wild ponies going for a run, did a bit of fiddling in photoshop to try and make it look like an old photo

PonyFord.jpg
    1600 x 1131 - 1M
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,102
    edited June 5

Made this with the USC! Swamp and USC2.

The white pillar is for centering the camera which I use in test images. It takes me back to a known point. I just forgot to hide it this time :)

2024-06-05 07:04:32.710 [INFO] :: Total Rendering Time: 32 minutes 51.43 seconds

Unused Waterway

Click on image for full size.

unused-waterway-copyright-001.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by Fishtales on
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,498

Fishtales, that idea of a reference object to bring the camera back to the centre is inspired. The number of times I've thought 'I want someone/thing at the origin to zoom the camera back' and not actually done it. Really good idea. May consider an array at 10mx10m positioning too for fast-ish camera navigation around the scene.

Regards,

Richard

richardandtracy said:

Fishtales, that idea of a reference object to bring the camera back to the centre is inspired. The number of times I've thought 'I want someone/thing at the origin to zoom the camera back' and not actually done it. Really good idea. May consider an array at 10mx10m positioning too for fast-ish camera navigation around the scene.

Regards,

Richard

Depending on the scene it is either that or a 1 metre cube. 

• ZiconZicon Posts: 263

Fishtales said:

The white pillar is for centering the camera which I use in test images. It takes me back to a known point. I just forgot to hide it this time :)

Set Visible in Render on the cylinder to Off, and it won't matter if you forget to hide it.

Visible in Render Off.png
    602 x 232 - 17K

Zicon said:

Fishtales said:

Set Visible in Render on the cylinder to Off, and it won't matter if you forget to hide it.

I hadn't thought of doing that :) 

edited June 6

Have only had a couple of crashes since upgrading to the new updated version. Looking forward to getting to play with more content! 

Overlook.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 2M
    Post edited by paulawp (marahzen) on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,843

paulawp (marahzen) said:

Have only had a couple of crashes since upgrading to the new updated version. Looking forward to getting to play with more content! 

Do the crashes seem random, or are they repeatable and traceable to a particular ecology or terrain?

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,305
    edited June 6

UltraScenery 2 still works after its update and in new Daz Studio beta 4.22.1.150 on my computer.

I have experimented with terrain from Track 05, UltraScatter pro and different custom masks.

Track05pic01.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 896K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited June 6

Another approach at US2 Track 05 preset.

Track05pic02.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited June 6

barbult said:

paulawp (marahzen) said:

Do the crashes seem random, or are they repeatable and traceable to a particular ecology or terrain?

There was one error for sure that happened since updating it, which IIRC happened when creating a new scene or trying to exit Daz leaving an unsaved test scene. It definitely seems less finicky in general, but I suspect that some of that is just more experience in playing with it. Also, I now suspect that many of the crashes I experienced had to do with that weird issue of opening scenes that had been saved in my beta instance back in my release instance. That seems to be fixed.

I mainly use USC for outside background scenery, rather than just scenery itself, so after a few simple tests of just scenery, I started off on more complicated situations where I sometimes ran into weird issues. Like here:

When I did this test scene with the original release version a few days ago, I eventually set up the immediate picnic scene without USC2, parented everything to the BBQ object and moved it way off into the distance, then added USC2 and positioned my BBQ object on its edge. USC2 didn't seem to want anything to do with being created with a thing already at 0/0/0 and also seemingly gave me flak about being moved. The former problem - which was a Daz crash - did not occur when I retried a similar scenario with the updated version and the latter problem was inexperience with using it. It does do squirrelly looking things if you move a created USC2 scene, but if you select a new ecology it applies it and seems fine. Now I know. smiley

The final version of this test includes the USC2, plus three USC1s, the picnic area and a road with telephone poles (that ended up being less visible than I'd initially intended as the scene developed). 1) Why use a USC2 in the middle distance where its detail and prettiness is less obvious? Well, I presume there will be cool new ecologies and features; maybe they will include support for USC1 but if not, I'll want to be able to use them like I would USC1. 2) Why use multiple USCs? Because sometimes like here, I was working around objects and/or using different variations of the same ecology - there's essentially a flat foreground with no trees that is the field immediately next to my picnic gazebo, then an area across the road that is more densely wooded than the somewhat wooded USC2 that is in the extended area of this park. I routinely use multiple USC objects to get that sort of effect in different areas of the scene.

In this one, done after I updated, I had no problem creating this scene at 0/0/0 on one USC2 object, with some minor tweaking of the layers to get the sort of tree effect that I wanted.

GrumpyUncleLarry.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 1M
    OvergrownPllayground2.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 1M
    Post edited by paulawp (marahzen) on
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,498

I've taken @Fishtales' inspired idea of a navigation column & taken it to a potentially illogical extreme, and set up arrays of navigation columns spread over the entire UltraScenery 1 or 2 landscape. If you're interested in the freebie it's here: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/690091/ultrascenery-locator-columns

Quick Picture:

Regards,

Richard

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,030
    edited June 7

I used a classic set for displaying 'Hare - European' pulling sentry duty on a bridge. One thing I found was I had to raise him up a bit above the bridge in my screen, so his feet was actually on the post, not sunk into it. I really missed the Code 66 scripts. The rabbit is smaller than the flowers and the old set would not come up on the attrack/repel option. If it is possible, it must be my problem because that is one thing that is giving me fits. I did add the new MartinJFrost flowers to the posts, and so you can only see the tops of one of them,

Sentry Duty.png
    1600 x 1600 - 3M
    Post edited by memcneil70 on
  • GoggerGogger Posts: 2,370

richardandtracy said:

I've taken @Fishtales' inspired idea of a navigation column & taken it to a potentially illogical extreme, and set up arrays of navigation columns spread over the entire UltraScenery 1 or 2 landscape. If you're interested in the freebie it's here: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/690091/ultrascenery-locator-columns

Quick Picture:

Regards,

Richard

Nicely done! And thanks so much for sharing! This will save me lots of time setting up my own. I appreciate it!
  • AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 755

I just returned from vacation and noticed an update for US2 in DIM and I installed the update but the crashes are still happening. Instancing is set to memory as well.

• RandomRandom Posts: 201

I just had a crash using the updated version of US2, latest version of Studio and Nvdia Graphics update. Doing initial biome settup with only Oaks choosen I was changing the oak seed by hitting the + button next to seed number. Hit once ok, twice ok, then third time Studio crashed. Instancing set to auto.

edited June 8

Random said:

I just had a crash using the updated version of US2, latest version of Studio and Nvdia Graphics update. Doing initial biome settup with only Oaks choosen I was changing the oak seed by hitting the + button next to seed number. Hit once ok, twice ok, then third time Studio crashed. Instancing set to auto.

I recently updated my Nvidia drivers. So could the Nvidia driver update cause the crashing? 

Post edited by AnEye4Art on
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,841

Best way is to look at the crashlog to see what crashed, the stacktrace is like a fingerprint in a "Who done it".

Totte said:

Best way is to look at the crashlog to see what crashed, the stacktrace is like a fingerprint in a "Who done it".

I doubt it would be the drivers since it would have been caught when I first submitted my crash log. But I don't know much about this stuff, anyway.  

I feel sorry for all the people having problems with US2

and most of you using much better Nvidia graphics card than mine.

I wonder what is going on.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,841

One thing, which version of Studio are those with crashes using?
    There are updated Iray in Public Beta for example, which can cause problems with shaders for example.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,030

I also had an update to my Nvidia drive this week. The Studio Driver is v. 555.99 released on 4 Jun 2024. The Game Ready Driver was updated on the same day. My flatmate has that installed on his laptop for a GTX 1080.

I crash on my RTX 4090 only when I forget that my 32Gb Ram/Vram cards will only tolerate just so many changes/try outs in Daz before it gets annoyed and crashes on me. I need to be more disciplined. Save and reboot.

I saw that driver update but decided to hold off for the moment to see what the experience was for other people.

edited June 8

Good to know. I am running Nvidia Driver 552.22 and so far I got only a few crashes of Daz Studio Beta 4,22.1.150

but not with UltraScenery 2.

Recently Daz Studio crashed when I was trying to separate instances made by Ultra Scatter Pro.

Edit -> Object -> Instances -> Break Instance Group

Post edited by Artini on
    edited June 8

The funny thing while using custom masks in Ultra Scatter Pro on Ultra Scenery 2 is

that it is only producing a few instances, like 3 or 4.

Just wonder if shape of the masks in UltraScatter Pro matters and could be anything?

I have tried circular and rectangular shapes of the masks.

Post edited by Artini on
    edited June 8

memcneil70 said:

I also had an update to my Nvidia drive this week. The Studio Driver is v. 555.99 released on 4 Jun 2024. The Game Ready Driver was updated on the same day. My flatmate has that installed on his laptop for a GTX 1080.

I crash on my RTX 4090 only when I forget that my 32Gb Ram/Vram cards will only tolerate just so many changes/try outs in Daz before it gets annoyed and crashes on me. I need to be more disciplined. Save and reboot.

I have the latest studio driver v.555.85 released on May 21 2024. Daz studio v. 4.22.0.16

Post edited by AnEye4Art on
    edited June 8

Finally got some animal life into forest created with UltraScenery 2.

Rabbits03.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by Artini on

All the rendered US2 artworks are great. Adding the bunnies to the scene is next-level eye candy.