UltraScenery - new(er) territory [Commercial]

Comments

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,305

I said "mostly positive":  I've had one crash, I think when I did a new scene (without closing DS) then created another USC2 terrain and tried to use it, but I'm afraid I didn't really take note at the time of exactly what I was doing because I didn't expect the crash. If I get another I will try and give more info.

The other problem I've had was two freezes when trying to render. Both times I got the DS popup saying it was starting, but it didn't get as far as the message about Pre-Flight checks (or whatever it says). Task Manager showed zero CPU use, no I/O or Memory Usage changes happpening and the screen just sat there doing nothing. I eventually had to cancel DS through Task Manager. These was near midnight last night, so I didn't have time to investigate any further. Again, if it happens again or if I can find out exactly when and why it happened yesterday then I'll come back with more info.

The rest is all positive feedback, but I really really am looking forward to new features (like the ones I have for USC "1") that will work with the bigger terrains. I have Store Credit waiting! ...

• paulawp (marahzen)paulawp (marahzen) Posts: 1,313

The rest is all positive feedback, but I really really am looking forward to new features (like the ones I have for USC "1") that will work with the bigger terrains. I have Store Credit waiting! ...

I wanted to speak up and say that although my recent presence has involved a significant amount of talking about issues, I love the new product and am looking forward to seeing old ecologies/tools converted to use in it, and new ecologies - both of which I'm sure are in the pipeline. I too have store credit sitting there waiting. 

• GranvilleGranville Posts: 690

Ultrascenery2 crashes daz studio for me when I switch to a woodland ecology for an exisiting terrain. It does this 100% of the time. I guess...I can't use it right now. ... i feel a disappointed.

• pkroberts73pkroberts73 Posts: 2
    edited June 2

Trying to render a 180 frame series camera flythrough at 1080p and 200 samples. Instancing Optimization is set to Memory per the reference guide. The first frame takes about 2 minutes, but then each additional frame takes incrementally longer until by 15 or so frames in the render time is at 20 minutes per frame and increasing. This doesn't occur with renders not using UltraScenery 2. If I cancel the render, restart Daz, reload the scene, and restart where I had stopped it, the behavior resets and the frame that was taking 20 minutes is back to only 2 minutes, but then the render times incrementally increase again.

As a test comparison, I loaded up a fairly complex scene with 5 Gen8 models, 2 vehicles, and Stonemason Urban Future 5 with a similar camera flythrough. Same render settings and each frame takes a little over a minute to render and the render time doesn't increase from one frame to the next.

One thing that I noticed comparing the two scenes. GPU usage % during rendering is lower in the UltraScenery 2 scene and decreases as the render time increases. Is there another render setting that I need to change specific to using UltraScenery 2?

Daz 4.22.0.16, Windows 11, i9-13900KF, 64 GB RAM, 4 TB WD Black SN850X, GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB w/ latest drivers

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,843

Granville said:

Ultrascenery2 crashes daz studio for me when I switch to a woodland ecology for an exisiting terrain. It does this 100% of the time. I guess...I can't use it right now. ... i feel a disappointed.

@Granville Try reducing the percentage of Forest previews in the UltraScenery2 Optimization section before you switch ecologies. It defaults to 100% so that it shows all trees. Maybe 100% of that dense woodland is overwhelming Daz Studio while removing the tree previews from the previous ecology and adding the tree previews of the new ecology. After the new ecology is displayed, you can adjust the Forest preview percent up again.

Screenshot 2024-06-02 165924.jpg
    619 x 423 - 34K
  • HowieFarkesHowieFarkes Posts: 606

pkroberts73 said:

Trying to render a 180 frame series camera flythrough at 1080p and 200 samples. Instancing Optimization is set to Memory per the reference guide. The first frame takes about 2 minutes, but then each additional frame takes incrementally longer until by 15 or so frames in the render time is at 20 minutes per frame and increasing. This doesn't occur with renders not using UltraScenery 2. If I cancel the render, restart Daz, reload the scene, and restart where I had stopped it, the behavior resets and the frame that was taking 20 minutes is back to only 2 minutes, but then the render times incrementally increase again.

As a test comparison, I loaded up a fairly complex scene with 5 Gen8 models, 2 vehicles, and Stonemason Urban Future 5 with a similar camera flythrough. Same render settings and each frame takes a little over a minute to render and the render time doesn't increase from one frame to the next.

One thing that I noticed comparing the two scenes. GPU usage % during rendering is lower in the UltraScenery 2 scene and decreases as the render time increases. Is there another render setting that I need to change specific to using UltraScenery 2?

Daz 4.22.0.16, Windows 11, i9-13900KF, 64 GB RAM, 4 TB WD Black SN850X, GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB w/ latest drivers

These are the settings I used to render out the promo video animations. I was mostly rendering 120 frame sequences. But I don't have an NVidia equipped GPU so do everything on CPU - not sure if that makes a difference.
    Screen Shot 2024-06-03 at 10.30.54 am.png
    928 x 886 - 136K
    Screen Shot 2024-06-03 at 10.31.15 am.png
    978 x 910 - 245K
    Screen Shot 2024-06-03 at 10.31.34 am.png
    976 x 764 - 138K
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,012

UltraScenery 2 doesn't seem to work in DS 4.15.0.2, crashes at the end of scene creation.

• ZiconZicon Posts: 263

UltraScenery 2 is the most fun I've had in ages.

A gently rolling grass-covered landscape with scattered trees in late summer, early autumn colours. A small creek snakes through the landscape, and sunset colours the clouds pink. An animal shape has been carved into the ground. A young man, wearing a shirt in Pride rainbow colours, relaxes in the grass, his back to the camera.

I'm already craving more native US2 ecologies. Being able to customise each layer is just so good. I really hope we get update packs for the US1 ecologies, or dare I say it, a converter. I want to use all my shinies!

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,377

Zicon said:

A gently rolling grass-covered landscape with scattered trees in late summer, early autumn colours. A small creek snakes through the landscape, and sunset colours the clouds pink. An animal shape has been carved into the ground. A young man, wearing a shirt in Pride rainbow colours, relaxes in the grass, his back to the camera.

I'm already craving more native US2 ecologies. Being able to customise each layer is just so good. I really hope we get update packs for the US1 ecologies, or dare I say it, a converter. I want to use all my shinies!

The US2 configuration files for ecologies and terrains have been moved to the Data directory but appear to be very similar in format to those for US1. I wouldn't have thought it would be too dificult for someone to write a converter so the US1 ecologies can be used in full size (256 x 256 metres) US2 scenes.  How about it @totte ?

Cheers,

Alex. 

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,841

alexhcowley said:

Zicon said:

The US2 configuration files for ecologies and terrains have been moved to the Data directory but appear to be very similar in format to those for US1. I wouldn't have thought it would be too dificult for someone to write a converter so the US1 ecologies can be used in full size (256 x 256 metres) US2 scenes.  How about it @totte ?

Cheers,

Alex. 

It's a bit more difficult that it first looks, so I decided not to go that route....

Totte said:

alexhcowley said:

Zicon said:

Cheers,

Alex. 

It's a bit more difficult that it first looks, so I decided not to go that route....

Thanks for your response. This is why you should always consult with an expert.

Cheers,

Alex. 

edited June 3

alexhcowley said:

Zicon said:

Cheers,

Alex. 

While it's true they are both superficially similar looking JSON files there really is not much in common between USC1 and USC2 ecology/biome files.
    And USC1 ecologies can be used on larger terrains - they might not be quite as optimized but if you're patient they do work.

Post edited by HowieFarkes on

PerttiA said:

UltraScenery 2 doesn't seem to work in DS 4.15.0.2, crashes at the end of scene creation.

That'll be when the terrain shader is applied - Some shaders created in 4.20+ will crash much earlier versions of Studio.
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,030
    edited June 3

I may be writing out of turn but on two subjects related by crashing:

1. I created my folder to save my map files before working in USC2. That is after I saw that I needed a file. Too many scripts need a place to stash files and need them before you start working. I put mine in 'My Library' which is not in my C: drive but on another external drive. I have had no problems with this.

2. I have had crashes that seem to come when I have played too much with trying to look at too many options without paying attention that maybe placing on my RTX 4090 card and have to remember to reboot my computer to clean out build-up.

On my efforts, I am having fun. My renders on my Win 11 and MacBookPro M1 have been otherwise without issue. I am still learning my way around the plug-in screen options. Real life has interrupted me a great deal since the first day. One time I can use the attract/repel option and an hour later I can't figure it out. (Aging brain, cat interruptions, not the product.) I have no problem using all the USC1 products, so I am a happy camper.

And all the lovely renders and comments on this thread has helped. Thanks everyone.

Post edited by memcneil70 on
  • SirRonmitSirRonmit Posts: 14

-- Subscribing as I just installed US2 and (once I located the script and manually added it to my DAZ tabs), crashes and locks up my DAZ when rendering. I'll read through these 28 pages and see what others have done. I already got out of my iRay Preview and I did see someone said to NOT choose a map folder, so I'll need to figure out where the settings are and turn that off .. 

Is there any .pdf documentation available at all for this product? I didn't see it, but I'm still looking.

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 8,307
    Is there any .pdf documentation available at all for this product? I didn't see it, but I'm still looking.

Quickest way to find and load it:

C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\docs\Plugins\UltraScenery2

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,112

In DIM, right-click on the USC2 Win 64 component and select "Show Installed Files". You can click on the entry.

USC2 installed.png
    502 x 532 - 18K

namffuak said:

In DIM, right-click on the USC2 Win 64 component and select "Show Installed Files". You can click on the entry.

Thanks - I did that and that's how I was able to actually test the program. I added the TAB to my Workspace and now can load and play around with greyscale, and all that at least.

DoctorJellybean said:

Quickest way to find and load it:

C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\docs\Plugins\UltraScenery2

Thank you! I forgot about the PLUGINS directory (mine are at D:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\docs\Plugins\UltraScenery2)

I stil get a crash: 
    Dropped resolution to 128
    Left Map Directory as (empty)-none
    I loaded a simple sample terrain, added 1 treet, selected a Late Morning environment. 
    I then clicked iRay preview and did a manual screen capture.

I attached the log and the sample.

still have like 25 pages to go through on this topic, so maybe I'll find out what is causing issues for me.

Windows 10 
    RTX 3060 12G GPU (scene uses 4G)
    32G RAM
    DAZ 4.22.#

(As I just saw the PDF, I was able to use the "Create - New UltraScenery2 Scene" - edited nothing else -- and that worked!
    (attached as SampleGrass)

so now the issue is .. if I already have a scene built but want to add a terrain into DAZ, if I use the "UltraScenery2" Tab and click "+" to add a terrain, that crashes iRay rendering and locks up or closes DAZ Studio.
    if I click the "Create - New UltraScenery2 Scene" from the drop down - that works .. ?

to retest -- I went back to my original saved file, deleted the failing terrain, used the "Create" dropdown instead and made the terrain look the same as the failed scene .. that actually renders .. 

txt
    txt
    Simple_error_log.txt
    Simple Land and Tree.PNG
    1159 x 769 - 2M
    Sample Grass.png
    1383 x 873 - 3M
    No Terrain.png
    1383 x 873 - 2M
    Preview.PNG
    1381 x 848 - 3M
    Use Dropdown from Create Menu.png
    1383 x 873 - 2M

SirRonmit said:

namffuak said:

Thanks - I did that and that's how I was able to actually test the program. I added the TAB to my Workspace and now can load and play around with greyscale, and all that at least.

Make sure your render settings Instancing Optimization is NOT set to Speed. Use Memory or Auto. Memory is the safest choice for a scene that uses a lot of instances, like UltraScenery or UltraScenery2. Incorrect Instancing Optimization is the number one cause of an UltraScenery render locking up Daz Studio or crashing. It is not a bug with Daz Studio or UltraScenery, it is a user configuration error. Please check your render settings.

Screenshot 2024-06-03 161658.jpg
    590 x 593 - 90K
  • paulawp (marahzen)paulawp (marahzen) Posts: 1,313
    edited June 3

I was just testing with a more complex scene and I did run across some issues with crashing. I haven't fully explored the circumstances, but to make this, I eventually parented the figures and other extra props to the picnic area, which I placed outside of the area of the USC2 object. There are three USC1 objects making up the background, with a slightly more dense version of the ecology than was used for the USC2 in the foreground, and also partly to accommodate a roadway and telephone poles that ended up being a bit less visible in this particular version than I'd originally planned.

This is not a showpiece of what USC2 can do, but it was an initial test of using it in conjunction with a typical scene, including figures and props.

GrumpyUncleLarry.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 1M
    Post edited by paulawp (marahzen) on
    edited June 3

barbult said:

SirRonmit said:

namffuak said:

Make sure your render settings Instancing Optimization is NOT set to Speed. Use Memory or Auto. Memory is the safest choice for a scene that uses a lot of instances, like UltraScenery or UltraScenery2. Incorrect Instancing Optimization is the number one cause of an UltraScenery render locking up Daz Studio or crashing. It is not a bug with Daz Studio or UltraScenery, it is a user configuration error. Please check your render settings.

verified I am not set to speed (I always use memory, but should maybe set to Auto since I recently upgraded from dual GTX960s to a single RTX3060.

EDIT -- and, unfortunately, as soon as I start adding more details, it crashes my render. I can use the preview iRay at any time, just can hit the render. I'll have to install on my Surface Pro to see if it also crashes there for me or not. That doesn't have an iRay NVIDA GPU, so it only ever uses RAM. It may be drivers or DAZ settings for me at this point -- THANKS FOR ALL THE FAST REPLIES!! I was at least able to get something accomplished :)

Optimization.PNG
    508 x 388 - 38K
    Post edited by SirRonmit on
  • DreamWeeverDreamWeever Posts: 175

I have only now just had a chance to play as I have been sick since the day I brought US2, I have a lot to learn lol but here is my first attempt after about 10 min messing about and a quick read of the included pdf

FirstPass.jpg
    1941 x 1382 - 3M

DreamWeever said:

I have only now just had a chance to play as I have been sick since the day I brought US2, I have a lot to learn lol but here is my first attempt after about 10 min messing about and a quick read of the included pdf

Very atmospheric!  Get well soon.

Cheers,

Alex. 

• DreamWeeverDreamWeever Posts: 175

alexhcowley said:

DreamWeever said:

Very atmospheric!  Get well soon.

Cheers,

Alex. 

Thanks.

I am hooping as I feel better I'll have a better idea of what I am doing and can set up some proper scenes 

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,774

. guess I'm going to have to look at that video course I bought. Not feeling this new USC2. Render time is pretty slow overall. The end result, which looks better, doesn;t seem to really be any different overall to USC1 as far as the scenery created. Lack of ecological diversity is part of the problem for sure, but it just seems to create the same streams, rivers,paths, etc etc. I need rapids, waterfalls, different bends in the roads and streams, more rocks, I don;t know what else. Maybe I'm just burned out with DAZ Studio in general though. Its a dog of a program. Memory cache problems for sure, and it wouldn;t surprise me to find out that's what casuing a lot of the crashes with USC2

edited June 4

Installed on my MAC last night and the software works there. Does slow everything down of course with the more items you add, but that is expected. When I saved the scene and opened it on my Windows machine with the RTX3060, it opens (but runs super slow and uses around 22 of my 32G RAM - again, that is expected due to all the trees in my scene). As soon as I hit render, it fails. No reason given. But my MAC was able to render - albeit it does take forever because there is no nVidia GPU installed for faster processing.

(attached is the small output test from the MAC)

So I'm going to try CPU only render on the windows machine to see if it works or not :(

Wooded Path.png
    576 x 324 - 412K
  • DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 8,307
    edited June 4

SirRonmit said:

Installed on my MAC last night and the software works there. Does slow everything down of course with the more items you add, but that is expected. When I saved the scene and opened it on my Windows machine with the RTX3060, it opens (but runs super slow and uses around 22 of my 32G RAM - again, that is expected due to all the trees in my scene). As soon as I hit render, it fails. No reason given. But my MAC was able to render - albeit it does take forever because there is no nVidia GPU installed for faster processing.

So I'm going to try CPU only render on the windows machine to see if it works or not :(

Make sure that your Windows NVIDIA drivers are up to date, and that Render Settings - Optimization - Instancing Optimization is set to Auto.

Post edited by DoctorJellybean on
    edited June 4

DoctorJellybean said:

SirRonmit said:

Make sure that your Windows NVIDIA drivers are up to date, and that Render Settings - Optimization - Instancing Optimization is set to Auto.

Thanks - yeah I did all that -- but I've been complaining about DAZ ever since 4.2# came out on how slow my machine gets - always White Screening, etc., and GEN 9 characters take DAYS to load a blank instance.

So, I decided to wipe and install from scratch. 

At least now I can use the  US2 software to start playing around. I still use Bryce and Lightning to network render - MAN I LOVE THAT FEATURE! I also started trying to use the TERRAGEN 4, but it reminds me of POSER and BLENDER in that the menus are so "complicated" that it makes wanting to use them not-so-much-fun. Looking forward to playing around with US2 as this is now an "app" within DAZ, and I've been creating my own materials and other items via ShaderMap for years (when I have time). So the greyscale model mapping looks promising!

Now my RAM and GPU RAM have dropped tremendously as well!

iRay Instancing.PNG
    912 x 799 - 44K
    iRay Instancing 2.PNG
    1425 x 728 - 402K
    NowWereTalkin.PNG
    1832 x 777 - 2M

There is an UltraScenery2 update in DIM today:

• 2024-06-04 Update to 2.0.1.2 Changes:

• No longer crashes if you select “Multiply” as the mixing type when you have checked “Height Map” but not actually chosen a map

• Can now use “Ignore Culling” on all Biome layers

• Forces the terrain to be selected and make it the primary selection when loading presets (to fix some crashes where the terrain was being deselected)

• Water properties should be able to be adjusted from within the US2 UI again

• Added in some extra null checks when loading JSON files (Studio can crash if it's expecting a value from the JSON and doesn't get it)