UltraScenery - new(er) territory [Commercial]

Comments

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,030

Linwelly said:

I didn't read through all of the messages in this thread, so apologies if this has already been mentioned,

I'm currently working through the comprehensive guide by Martin and Digital art life and noticed that the affiniti doesnt activate for some biomes, there was one grassland I had selected first that didn't activate the + in the affinity box and now the fallen oak leaves 3 dont do it either.

I experimented with the viewport eye open for the respective biomes but that didn't change anything (aside from making my computer extremely slow crying)

So either I'm missing something of this might be a bug?

@Linwelly, I am also finding this particular process 'atrack/repel' kind of hit or miss. I am not sure why some items don't trigger that + or add button, other than maybe the order in which the biomes are listed? I am also working through the tutorial, but I keep getting interrupted with life issues, so I have to go back to previous videos to remind myself where I was, then continue on. I will keep an eye out hoping a more skilled person than me answers your question.

Mary

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 755

Excuse my question as I don't spend a lot of time playing with this stuff, but what does afinity do anyway?

edited June 17

This is a test render using gaea for the lava terrain, US2 and embergen for the vdb steam clouds. I call this: where the lava meets the stream.......you get steam. Duh!!

Lava Meets Stream.jpg
    2688 x 1512 - 1M
    Post edited by AnEye4Art on
  • paulawp (marahzen)paulawp (marahzen) Posts: 1,313
    edited June 17

AnEye4Art said:

Excuse my question as I don't spend a lot of time playing with this stuff, but what does afinity do anyway?

Affinity determines whether things in one layer are attracted to, or repelled by, things in another layer. Here is an example from one of the USC2 Oaks sets. I have selected the Fallen Leaves layer and down below, you can see that it has two Affinity settings - one each for the two types of trees noted. To the right, you can where I've opened the Affinity setting for Fallen Leaves to the Oaks Large layer: they are attracted to the trees. Hence, you see a preponderance of fallen leaves around the trees. Conversely, you would see an Affinity set up to Repel for flowers and trees - flowers generally don't grow in great numbers directly underneath large trees.

Affinity.jpg
    1180 x 848 - 236K
    Post edited by paulawp (marahzen) on
  • SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 720

Okay, I read through the posts in this thread and watched the tutorial video... I'm not sure if what I want to do wasn't covered, was covered and I'm just particularly dense, or isn't possible.

I want to create a terrain with rises and dips (and a lake) in particular locations. I get that the height maps control the highs and lows, but I really doubt I'm going to find one pre-made that works for this, and oh my gosh I am NOT skilled enough to create my own.

Is there a way to alter terrain height/depth on the fly in the scene itself? I tried Mesh Grabber, and it might be my own lack of skill and finesse, but it didn't work well.

Suggestions?

(Wait for Mesh Grabber 2?)

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,841

SilverGirl said:

Okay, I read through the posts in this thread and watched the tutorial video... I'm not sure if what I want to do wasn't covered, was covered and I'm just particularly dense, or isn't possible.

I want to create a terrain with rises and dips (and a lake) in particular locations. I get that the height maps control the highs and lows, but I really doubt I'm going to find one pre-made that works for this, and oh my gosh I am NOT skilled enough to create my own.

Is there a way to alter terrain height/depth on the fly in the scene itself? I tried Mesh Grabber, and it might be my own lack of skill and finesse, but it didn't work well.

Suggestions?

For this, and also for easy masking, Mask Builder II will hopefully come to a store near you "daz-soon".
    Maskbuilder in combination with changing  the USC2 terrain parameters works, even though it's not as easy as it was with USC1 due to how USC2 works internally.

• SilverGirlSilverGirl Posts: 720

Totte said:

SilverGirl said:

Suggestions?

For this, and also for easy masking, Mask Builder II will hopefully come to a store near you "daz-soon".
    Maskbuilder in combination with changing  the USC2 terrain parameters works, even though it's not as easy as it was with USC1 due to how USC2 works internally.

Thanks for your response! I'm okay with it being fiddly as long as it works in the end.... I've started to learn that most anything I want in Daz is going to require it. (And hey, I never really got going far on USC1, so no point of comparison here!)

Looks like I'll wait for Mask Builder 2 to drop and try pounding the nail in with a tool instead of my forehead. cheeky 

Will there be a YouTube video or something of the sort to go with it? I always learn better from those than written documentation.

SilverGirl said:

Totte said:

SilverGirl said:

Suggestions?

Thanks for your response! I'm okay with it being fiddly as long as it works in the end.... I've started to learn that most anything I want in Daz is going to require it. (And hey, I never really got going far on USC1, so no point of comparison here!)

Looks like I'll wait for Mask Builder 2 to drop and try pounding the nail in with a tool instead of my forehead. cheeky 

Will there be a YouTube video or something of the sort to go with it? I always learn better from those than written documentation.

There might be one by MartinJFrost (the same way he did one for USC2 where he showed a bit of Alieantor Pro II), nothing decided yet. 

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,917

paulawp (marahzen) said:

AnEye4Art said:

Affinity determines whether things in one layer are attracted to, or repelled by, things in another layer. Here is an example from one of the USC2 Oaks sets. I have selected the Fallen Leaves layer and down below, you can see that it has two Affinity settings - one each for the two types of trees noted. To the right, you can where I've opened the Affinity setting for Fallen Leaves to the Oaks Large layer: they are attracted to the trees. Hence, you see a preponderance of fallen leaves around the trees. Conversely, you would see an Affinity set up to Repel for flowers and trees - flowers generally don't grow in great numbers directly underneath large trees.

comparing your and my screenshot, I have the impression you generally use the same leaves as I tried, but the overall setup is a bit different. And yours seem to work.

I checked if I missed an update of USC2 in the DIM but none shows, so did I miss something?

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,377

Linwelly said:

paulawp (marahzen) said:

AnEye4Art said:

comparing your and my screenshot, I have the impression you generally use the same leaves as I tried, but the overall setup is a bit different. And yours seem to work.

I checked if I missed an update of USC2 in the DIM but none shows, so did I miss something?

The last update I am aware of was around about the 4th of June. @barbult helpfully posted a note on this subject which is very helpful for those of us who prefer  manual install.

Cheers,

Alex. 

alexhcowley said:

Linwelly said:

paulawp (marahzen) said:

AnEye4Art said:

The last update I am aware of was around about the 4th of June. @barbult helpfully posted a note on this subject which is very helpful for those of us who prefer  manual install.

Cheers,

Alex. 

thanks for the pointer, I guess since I installed the whole of it on the 11th of June all updates should be included already

edited June 17

Another angle of the volcano with a different vdb smoke from embergen.

Volcano Smoke.jpg
    2688 x 1512 - 927K
  • Steel RatSteel Rat Posts: 393

HowieFarkes said:

Steel Rat said:

Still no word about the "Atmospheres" mentioned in the promo?

I think they're referring to the Iray Sun/Sky system built into DAZ Studio there.

Sorry, that's not obvious in any way. They should change that, because I was expecting something new with this product. 

So I have been using USC1 a lot, to render top down encounter maps for Role-Playing games. I usually render the whole scene, then just the ground and underbrush, then just the trees. Doesn't seem possible to render separate objects with USC2, since they can't be selected in the scene.

edited June 17

Steel Rat said:

So I have been using USC1 a lot, to render top down encounter maps for Role-Playing games. I usually render the whole scene, then just the ground and underbrush, then just the trees. Doesn't seem possible to render separate objects with USC2, since they can't be selected in the scene.

Instances to Objects might work for you: https://www.daz3d.com/instances-to-objects ;

AnEye4Art said:

Steel Rat said:

Instances to Objects might work for you: https://www.daz3d.com/instances-to-objects ;

Thanks, but that would add another level of complexity, and steps to a relatively simple process  in USC1.

• johnjohn808johnjohn808 Posts: 155
    edited June 18

How do you edit the height map in ultrascenery2 when using classic content?

Post edited by johnjohn808 on

Steel Rat said:

Hi,

are you "that" Steel Rat from the Dundjinni and Greytale era?

• tubbesingtubbesing Posts: 48

I assume this question has been answered already, but it has eluded my searches:
    What’s the difference between UltraScenery and UltraScenery 2?
    3. Water presets, customizable settings via dials and dropdowns
    4. Terrains built on mixed Biome layers, customizable via interface
    5. Atmosphere uses Iray settings for faster, more up-to-date renders

tubbesing said:

I assume this question has been answered already, but it has eluded my searches:
    What’s the difference between UltraScenery and UltraScenery 2?
    3. Water presets, customizable settings via dials and dropdowns
    4. Terrains built on mixed Biome layers, customizable via interface
    5. Atmosphere uses Iray settings for faster, more up-to-date renders

Main points from a USC2 user perspective compared to USC1:
    - No more edit your changes and generate, wait wait wait, changes now are live.
    - Larger area.
    - Easy to add Biome layers and mix layers between USC2 Ecologies ( Classic Ecologies works but no mix-in for those, but you can mix on new Biome layers in with Classic ecologies)
    - Everything is in a tab pane and not a script, easier to work with, and faster to work with.

If you with add-ons mean Ecologies and Features, yes they work, but some might now work as well on larger than 64x64 terrains, depending on what they are.
    If you mean UST-1 and UST-2, the answer is no. Many of the things they added are now already in USC2, and Alienator Pro II and Mask Builder II are coming...

• MartinjfrostMartinjfrost Posts: 352

Linwelly said:

I didn't read through all of the messages in this thread, so apologies if this has already been mentioned,

I'm currently working through the comprehensive guide by Martin and Digital art life and noticed that the affiniti doesnt activate for some biomes, there was one grassland I had selected first that didn't activate the + in the affinity box and now the fallen oak leaves 3 dont do it either.

I experimented with the viewport eye open for the respective biomes but that didn't change anything (aside from making my computer extremely slow crying)

Affinitys only work on itmes below the item you are wanting them to be affected by in the biome list ( you can move them around using the up and down arrows) so if your leaves are at the top of the list they wont be active. Move them to the bottom of the list and then they will be re active with all the layers above them. 

Martinjfrost said:

Linwelly said:

Affinitys only work on itmes below the item you are wanting them to be affected by in the biome list ( you can move them around using the up and down arrows) so if your leaves are at the top of the list they wont be active. Move them to the bottom of the list and then they will be re active with all the layers above them. 

Oh thanks a lot, I'm glad it's a simple solution like that

edited June 19

so once I know how, it's actually working as well, who would have though wink

test-USC2.png
    800 x 600 - 1M
    Post edited by Linwelly on
  • MartinjfrostMartinjfrost Posts: 352

It reminds me of using photoshop layers in a lot of ways.

Lovely image @Linwelly

• paulawp (marahzen)paulawp (marahzen) Posts: 1,313
    edited June 19

Just playing around, and looking forward to all the various add-ons and extensions becoming available, updated for USC2.

What causes the little blue/green sparkles in water? 

SummerAfternoonAtTheLake.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 1M
    Post edited by paulawp (marahzen) on

Totte said:

Lovely image @Linwelly

thank you!

Martinjfrost said:

It reminds me of using photoshop layers in a lot of ways.

I never used Photoshop, always been a GIMP gal but yes keeping that concept in mind might help me for the next steps

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,102
    edited June 22

Duck Bay

2024-06-22 09:16:10.030 [INFO] :: Total Rendering Time: 31 minutes 10.34 seconds

Click on image for full size.

duck-bay-copyright-001.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by Fishtales on
  • DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 8,307

Fishtales said:

Duck Bay

2024-06-22 09:16:10.030 [INFO] :: Total Rendering Time: 31 minutes 10.34 seconds

Click on image for full size.

Very nice!